• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Ultimate Guide to DexNav Usage

The DexNav is a fantastic feature found in Pokemon Omega Ruby and Pokemon Alpha Sapphire. However, it can be tricky to use and understand at times. So, here's some information and advice that I've gathered over my time using the DexNav.

Basic Information
What is the DexNav?
The DexNav is a feature exclusive to Pokemon Omega Ruby and Pokemon Alpha Sapphire. Once you catch a Pokemon, you can use the DexNav to search for it again, if it is available in the area you are in. This feature is incredibly useful, as it is one of the only ways to guarantee the encounter of a specific species of Pokemon, and it has lots of added benefits.
How do I use the DexNav?
First, you must make sure the DexNav is the currently running app in the PokeNav Plus. If not, select the red tab with a Pikachu on the right side of the touch screen. Then, select the icon of the Pokemon you want to search for, and select "Search". If the search is successful, then a hidden Pokemon of the species you selected will appear, and you can encounter it in a battle by slowly walking right up to it.
Why should I use the DexNav?
The DexNav is an incredibly useful feature, as it allows you to encounter specific Pokemon. Also, if you encounter a certain species of Pokemon in battle (Trainer or wild), that Pokemon's search level will go up. As a Pokemon's search level increases, so will the chances of it having a higher level, perfect IV's, egg moves, and/or hidden abilities. If you encounter a higher-than-normal level Pokemon with the DexNav, you can continue using it to find Pokemon with even higher and higher levels. But, a wild Pokemon can't have a higher level, any egg moves, or its hidden ability if you don't encounter it through the DexNav.
What Pokemon can I find using the DexNav?
You can find most Pokemon through the DexNav. If it's available in the wild in the Hoenn region, you can search for it through the DexNav. You can even find some Pokemon from other regions after you've defeated Groudon or Kyogre, depending on your version. However, you cannot find legendary Pokemon, starter Pokemon, event-exclusive Pokemon, Pokemon exclusive to the version that you don't have, or Pokemon that you can only get by fishing.
Do you have any advice for finding Pokemon with the DexNav?
Yes. First, I recommend that you get some repels. These will prevent randomized encounters, but you can still find Pokemon through the DexNav while a repel is active. Second, right after catching a Pokemon, I suggest that you use the DexNav to search for it and encounter it a few more times if you can. Repeat this until the search level (Select the Pokemon and look at the upper right corner of the touch screen) is around 5 or 10. You don't have to catch or knock out the Pokemon to increase its search level, you just have to start the battle. Doing this will make it easier to find this Pokemon with better attributes, such as perfect IV's, egg moves, a higher level, or its hidden ability, when you come back to find it through the DexNav in the future. Last, but not least, it's a good idea to have an Acro Bike ready to use. If you can't find a Pokemon nearby in its own habitat, simply get on the Acro Bike and hold down the B button, and keep it held down until you've done 50 bunny hops. You'll have much better luck finding the Pokemon, and these bunny hops won't make your repels wear off.

Specific Questions
Spoiler:
I hope my DexNav guide was helpful to anyone who has any questions!
--Nebula

Last edited:
Years
    • Age 28
    • UK
    • Seen Jun 20, 2017
    Nice guide. I thought it was chaining that the wild Pokémon had higher chances of the IV's, Egg Moves, etc, but it's nice to know that it's just the search level! I take it chaining is only for shiny Pokémon then?

Nice guide. I thought it was chaining that the wild Pokémon had higher chances of the IV's, Egg Moves, etc, but it's nice to know that it's just the search level! I take it chaining is only for shiny Pokémon then?
    Thanks for reminding me to add info about Shiny Pokemon. Just so you know, chaining most likely (not enough data is out there to say for sure) doesn't affect shininess chances. However, you can chain for Pokemon with higher levels, but most likely not other special traits, such as egg moves. I will look into that, though.

MissedtheMarx

The People's Battler
    Years
    • US
    • Seen May 15, 2016
    Cool post! If I may, can I ask what advantage the acro bike gives? I didn't quite understand why you'd use one from the post. Does approaching a Pokemon on an acro bike while bouncing not scare them off?

Back