• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ultimate Monotype Challenge Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrifSpark

Your personal livin' Pokedex
Years
Today was kinda fun, although not a huge amount happened… Sort of.

Water MonoType Challenge #4

Spoiler:

ThaWinnerGON

Backpacker
Years
Alrighty. Back in school, with some very hard classes this year so gametime will be very limited if I wanna keep my grades up, plus Cross Country keeps me busy too. Haven't done much, but beat Red after some grinding in Johto

Update Time:
-Grinded up to the low 60s for Red. He was much easier this time around :)
-Recap of battle for the fun of it...
Pikachu was EQ'd with ease from Muscle. Thanks dude.
Then he was a dick and sent out Espeon who Psycic'd the crap out of my team like usual. However Nancy went beastmode and could take a Psychic miraculously with like 5 HP left. So after getting a body slam paralyze in, I surfed and stalled with full retore recovery til Espeon was gone from a surf crit. Thank you.
Then he sent out Venasaur, who sunny day'd and tried to solarbeam the crap out of my team. The prick was suprisingly resiliant to Potassium's fire punches and Nancy's ice punches too. Once he was gone, he sent out Snorlax who Muscles ko'd with one Low Kick. Then he sent out Charizard, and Nancy surfed him up too. Then came Blastoise, which sent me into some deja vu...because the final battle in FireRed was my Poliwrath versus Blastoise too. Found that funny :p. So that was it, and boom boom Johto was successfully completed. Now I'll show my End Team with comments about each guy I suppose...

End Team:

Muscles (Machoke) Level 64
-Low Kick
-Strength
-Earthquake
-Cross Chop

Muscles was a boss this runthrough. He was a suprisingly resiliant motha trucka, who came in handy whenever I needed him most, with a good low kick or strength crit.

Protein (Hitmontop) Lv 64
-Hidden Power (Grass, 67 power)
-Dizzy Punch
-Triple Kick
-Dig

Protein was initially hard to train as a Tyrogue, but when I discovered the power of dizzy punch life got easier. Then he evolved into a Hitmontop, even though I wanted a Hitmonlee, so I was disappointed. But I loaded him up with some nice TMs (the best was Dig) and he really started kickin butt, and handling electric, steel, and fire types magnificently when necessary

Nancy (Poliwrath) Lv 66
-Surf
-Hypnosis
-Ice Punch
-Body Slam

Ahhh, Nancy. My first team member. Definitely the team MVP, I guess poliwraths are just awesome. She did most of the critical butt-kicking in the tight battles or battles that certainly could have ended up disastrous had she not been a beast. Best examples are how she pretty much single-handedly owned Lance by her lonesome, Ice Punching and Surfing down everything in sight with OHKOs. Then she was the resiliant monster against Red, who had she not been able to take a Psychic w/out dying, I would not have beaten. Sure hope there are poliwags in Hoenn and Sinnoh, but I don't think there are. Its a darn shame, considering the rape-age Poliwraths seem to do on my team :(

Potassium (Hitmonchan) Lv 65
-Mega Punch
-Thunder Punch
-Mach Punch
-Fire Punch

Potassium, named under the same nutritional theme as Protein, was more of just a member for the sake of having 4 guys on my team, but he ended up being much more than that. Wayy better than Muhammed (my Hitmonchan in my Kanto run), cuz he could take a hit or two well. His diversity in types of powerful attacks were handy as well, Mach Punch raped everything, and when I ran out of T-punches and Mach punches, his Mega Punch hit almost everytime and could OHKO several weak guys, plus just seemed to attract crits. Never a bad thing. So Potassium came in suprising use this run.

SupaSlave (Suicune) Lv 40
...Just my water move/cut slave. I was happy to see that SupaSlave could learn all those HMs (mostly Cut), plus s/he was a good staller to take a hit or two while I healed.

FlySlave (Noctowl) Lv 16
What can I say bout FlySlave? Got me where I needed to be, plus served as good bantha fodder in tough battles so I could heal up. A very good slave indeed.

And...this concludes my Johto Run. I'll be downloading Ruby or Emerald in due time to start Hoenn, but updates will be sketchy since I don't have much time. Oh well. Halfway done with the UMC Fighting, we got this.

Last edited:

me2hack

Graphics Artist
Years
  • Seen Mar 12, 2011
I'd like to participate..

Username: Me2Hack
In-Game name: Me2Hack
Game: HG
Type: Steel

I do hope that we're allowed to get eggs..

HallwayKid

The Illogical Scientist
Years
I would like to take part in the Ultimate Monotype Challenge. I have already started a Normal type Pokemon run. I will update later.

I will be going:
Fire Red -> Crystal -> Ruby -> Platinum

Weavile05

Currently Hacking BW
Years
UMC Normals Kanto Compleeeeeeeete

I've really enjoyed using Normal types this run. Anyway now to the Elite 4.

Lorelie
Mage's Thunderbolt came in really helpful here, considering the large amount of water types on her team. Snoozer took out Jynx.

Bruno
Mage once again saves the day against his onix's with Solarbeams and Bubblebeams. Other than that Wingblade came in really handy.

Agatha
Fang and Snoozer came in really handy with Dig and Earthquake.

Lance
He was pretty tough, but not too bad. Mage took out his Gyarados, and Snoozer and Fang took out about everything else. Wingblade's Toxic came in REALLY handy against Dragonite.

Bruno (Rival/Champ)
Mage took out half his team, the rest was pretty easy. I ran into some trouble with his Blastoise, who full restored just as he was about to die. I eventually took him out though.

Team
Mage: Clefable
Spr_1b_036.png

level 55
Thunderbolt
Psychic
Solar Beam
Bubblebeam

Really helped out a ton, and the highest level pokemon on my team.

Fang: Raticate
Spr_1b_020.png

level 51
Hyper Fang
Double Edge
Skull Bash
Dig

Wingblade: Pidgeot
Spr_1b_018.png

level 49
Toxic
Sand Attack
Quick Attack
Fly

It's only real purpose was Bruno and Exeggutor, plus it's Toxic really helped against Lance's Dragonite. It could also take quite a few hits.

Snoozer: Snorlax
Spr_1b_143.png

level 47
Body Slam
Fire Blast
Earthquake
Submission
The bulky dude of my team, that bulk really came in handy. It could take even more hits than Pidgeot, and was a great help against whatever I needed it to go up against, despite being the lowest level on my team.

And that's it! On to Johto!

Last edited:

pleryt16

ERMAHGERD ITS A VAPOREON
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Feb 19, 2013
Updat!!!

Went down to Mt.Pyre
Got the Red Orb
Went to Lily cove
beat May
Flew to Slate port
Talked to Capt. Stern
Flew to Lilycove
Went to the Magma Hideout
Got MAsterball and left
Went to Mossdeep
Beat gym
Got Dive
Met Groudon
Saved Sootopolis
Beat Wallace

Team:
Fatty (Swampert) level 42
Surf
Muddy Water
Earthquke
Strength

Jelly (Tentacruel) level 41
Surf
Acid
Wrap
Bubblebeam

Wally (Sealeo) level 35
Waterfall
Ice Ball
Aurora Beam
Body Slam (Saved me from Wallace)

Wailmer level 34
Dive
Surf
Astonish
Water Pulse

Bird (Pelliper) level 41
Fly
Surf
Wing Attack
Shock Wave

Slave: Groudon cut,rock Smash

Last edited:

Phye

The Eternal Night :.
Years
Hey just wanted to jump in and say that I've beaten the elite four with my Bug Mono Team in Emerald. =) I'm sorry that I don't have a huge update for it since I didn't keep any notes this time around since I got lost in where to post the update...

I can however, give you a small summary for each elite four + Champion battle.

VS Sidney:.
Nothing troublesome. Hero took care of pretty much every dark type with the help of Prayer from time to time.

VS Phoebe:.

Had some close calls but Hero could take care of it with HP Ghost.

VS Glacia:.
Bulk Up and then Brick Break away with Hero...

VS Drake:.
This battle was hell. Not only did the first pokemon he have, knowing Rock Tomb, meaning even if I managed to set up. I would be so slow to actually do something.
Ancient was my main force in this battle. Dealing Super Effective Damage against Altaria and Salamence. Also Kingdra was taken down by Silent because it kept switching out every time I sent in Silent against it so when it was the last standing I sent out Silent for the kill.

VS Wallace:.

This battle was easy. The only two pokémon to actually be able to kill Silent was Tentacruel and Milotic. I had a Pecha Berry on Silent to get rid of one toxic. Against Luvdisc I Swords Danced up to max and she killed everything in sight. Silent got intoxicated by Tentacruel but thanks to its berry it wasn't too much of a deal.
Last pokémon Wallace sent out was his Milotic. Luckily or not with +6 boosted in attack + Shadow Ball. Silent killed Milotic in one hit.

.:Champions:.
Prayer(Pinsir), Hero(Heracross), Destiny(Dustox), Fate(Beautifly), Ancient(Armaldo), Silent(Shedinja).

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
Years
I started the game and called myself Red. I chose Charmander as my starter because it evolves into the Fire/Flying type Charizard and beat Blue. I caught a Pidgey on Route 1 (They look so cute in Red and Blue with their eyes) and a Caterpie in Viridian Forest. I defeated Blue again and Caterpie evolved into Metapod and then into Butterfree. Charmander also evolved. I then beat Brock easily. I am currently in front of Mt Moon.
Screen shot 2010-09-02 at 4.12.23 PM.png Screen shot 2010-09-02 at 4.11.59 PM.png Screen shot 2010-09-02 at 4.12.35 PM.png Screen shot 2010-09-02 at 4.12.06 PM.png
The Team:
Spr_2c_005.gif

Charmeleon Lv17.
Moves: Scratch, Leer, Ember, Growl.
Spr_2c_016.gif

Pidgey Lv15.
Moves: Gust, Sand-Attack, Quick Attack.
Spr_2c_012.gif

Butterfree Lv14.
Moves: Tackle, String Shot, Confusion.
wjasgn.png

dragonite149

I am not male
Years
Sinnoh water update 5

Explored Oreburgh some more.
Got the dusk ball
Grinded in Oreburgh Mine
Pesi learned Peck
Healed up.
Grinded north of Oreburgh
Platyduck learned Water gun
Healed up
Challenged Roark

Geodude V Platyduck
1 Water gun and Geodude was down!

Onix V Platyduck
Onix managed to get a Rock Throw in,but Water Gun defeated it as well

Cranidos VS Platyduck
Cranidos Leered,Platyduck Water Gunned
Roark used a Potion,Platyduck used Water gun
Cranidos Leered,Platyduck Water Gunned
Cranidos fainted,I earned a badge!

Team
Pesi the Piplup
LV15
Pound,Growl,Bubble,Peck

Platyduck the Psyduck
LV13
Water Sport,Scratch,Tail Whip,Water Gun

Areo the Magikarp
LV9
Splash

BiBi the Bidoof
LV11
Tackle,Growl,Defense Curl

Years
  • Seen Nov 27, 2010
Hey, this looks fun! Can I join in? If so, I would like to do a Flying type challenge please. Also is it ok if I just do this on Platinum?

Last edited:

Weavile05

Currently Hacking BW
Years
Alright! My first real Johto update!

I did the whole mystery egg sidequest, catching a Hoothoot and Sentret.
Got through sprout tower
Challenged Falkner, lost.
And that's it. Next Update I will DEFINITELY beat Falkner

Team
Blur: Sentret
Spr_2c_161.gif

Level 9
Tackle
Defense Curl
Forsight

Chrono: Hoothoot
Spr_2c_163.gif

Level 9
Tackle
Growl
Foresight
Peck
(Yipee! Moving Pictures! :)

pleryt16

ERMAHGERD ITS A VAPOREON
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Feb 19, 2013
Update! Hoenn complete!

After Wallace I went to elite four.. blah blah blah
got through victory road difficultly
Trained and trained for days to beat the elite four
finally got them all to 48

elite four time!
first dude: easy
Phoebe: Easy
Glacia: HARD (Walrein plus Sheer Cold... Ugh)
Drake: Ice Bal Sweep
Steven: Easy except Metagross and Cradily

I WIN!

Champions
Swampert level 49
Earthquake
Surf
Muddy Water
Strength

Pelipper level 48
Fly
Wing Attack
Surf
Shock Wave

Wailord level 50
Surf
Dive
Facade
Water Spout

Walrein level 49
Waerfall
Surf
Ice Ball
Bodyslam

Tentacool level 50
Surf
Acid
Screech
Waterfall

Onto my least favorite region! Sinnoh!

polkop

LSHMSFOAIDMT
Years
Update on my mono-steel challenge on HGSS:
- I battle every trainer in the game
- I beat the 3 first badge in Kanto

My team:
Mawile - Lv 55
Crunch
Strenght
Sucker punch

Empoleon - Lv 56
Surf
Waterfall
Ice Beam
Grass Knot

Aggron - Lv 56
Iron head
Rock Slide
Shadow Claw
Take Down

Magnezone - Lv 56
Thunderbolt
Flash Canon
Flash
Lock-On

Steelix - Lv 56
Earthquake
Iron tail
Crunch
Stone Edge

Rapidash

Firefly Class.
Years
I'm currently doing a Fire Monotype on SS, but I don't know if I qualify for this thread as I've traded pokemon in to the game. I'm using this monotype run to basically play my dream team, I love fire types.

I'm just about to face Monty and just now I have -

SolarFlare (Vulpix) - lv 23
Ashes (Quilava) - lv 25
Sora (Ponyta) - lv 25
Calcifer (Growlithe) - lv 24

It's all been too easy so far....

ThaWinnerGON

Backpacker
Years
Alriiiight, continuing my UMC Fighting type. Found my old Ruby version, thought I would play this one classicaly on the GBA. Should be tight. Hoenn, prepare to be owneddd.

Update Time:
-Did all the starting crap...chose Torchic as starter (named Chick-FilA...ran out of letters), beat down May, got the Pokedex, yahta yahta
-Showed Wally how to catch a pokemon like all good boyscouts do.
-Caught a Shroomish for future team member. Thought it was a guy at first and wanted to name him Tripp (get it? Shrooms make you go on trips?), then realized she was a girl, so named her Yoko, after John Lennon's lover asian lady who got high with him a lot
-Chick-FilA evolved while beating gym trainers, then owned Roxanne with some Double-Kicks
-Saved Peecko and the Devon Goods, time to go deliver a letter
-Went to Dewford and delivered the letter, caught a Makhuita for future team member, named him Wasabi. Yeah...already have 3 team members. I'll train them as I see fit in the future
-Beat Brawly, who crit'd Chick-FilA in like 2 Arm Thrusts after bulking up 1000times. So I sent in Yoko for fun, who got super lucky w/ a poison & Leech Seed Combo that just drained his Makhuita in time, w/out dying miraculously o_0
-Made it to Slateford

Current Team:

Chick-FilA (Combusken) Lv 22
-Scratch
-Peck
-Double Kick
-Ember

Yoko (Shroomish) Lv 17
-Mega Drain
-Tackle
-Stun Spore
-Leech Seed

Wasabi (Makuhita) Lv 9
-Tackle
-Focus Energy
-Sand Attack

CutSlave (Zigzagoon) Lv 6

Hoenn's cake.

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
Years
Lets see I got through Mt Moon and Pidgey evolved. I then beat Misty and got the SS. Ticket. I then traveled to Vermillion City and caught a Spearow. I traded it for a Farfetch'd. I then beat everyone on the SS. Anne and beat Lt. Surge. I traveled through Dark Cave and arrived in Lavender Town. From Lavender Town I traveled to Celadon City where I bought a Dratini from the Game Corner and Beat Erika and also beat Team Rocket. I beat the Fighting Dojo. I then saved Mr. Fuji at Lavender Tower. I then went down Silent Bridge, Dratini evolved and I found myself in Fuchsia City and I caught a Doduo and beat the Gym. I then traveled up the Bike Bridge and Doduo evolved. I am now in front of the Silph Co. Sorry my last update didn't work.
Screen shot 2010-09-03 at 9.28.53 AM.png Screen shot 2010-09-02 at 9.57.18 PM.png Screen shot 2010-09-04 at 11.41.31 AM.png Screen shot 2010-09-03 at 5.49.07 PM.png Screen shot 2010-09-04 at 11.16.59 AM.png
The Team:
Spr_1b_006.png

Charcoal (Charizard) Lv38.
Moves: Ember, Submission, Slash, Scratch.
Spr_1b_018.png

Pudding (Pidgeot) Lv36.
Moves: Fly, Gust, Quick Attack, Wing Attack.
Spr_1b_012.png

Happy (Butterfree) Lv37.
Moves: Psychic, Mega Drain, Sleep Powder, Stun Spore.
Spr_1b_083.png

Dux (Farfetch'd) Lv37.
Moves: Peck, Cut, Swords Dance, Fury Attack.
Spr_1b_148.png

Kairyu (Dragonair) Lv37.
Moves: Surf, Thunder Wave, Wrap, Slam.
Spr_1b_085.png

Copycat (Dodrio) Lv36.
Moves: Drill Peck, Peck, Growl, Fury Attack.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back