• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ultimate Monotype Challenge Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
    Years
    • Seen Apr 26, 2011
    Username: popa_qwerty
    In-game name: Qwerty
    Type: Fire
    Game: Ruby

I am new to this so can any one help give a quick Template on how to post progress and where i could get the Pokemon images

myrrhman

Challenge God
    Years
    Username: popa_qwerty
    In-game name: Qwerty
    Type: Fire
    Game: Ruby

I am new to this so can any one help give a quick Template on how to post progress and where i could get the Pokemon images
    Hey, I'd be glad to help.

Template: This is really up to you. Most people just put general and important things that happened in the game. I'll use a Fire Ruby Monotype as an example, since that's the one you're going to be doing. I would include at the start: what you named yourself, which starting Pokemon you chose (which would be torchic in your case), what you nicknamed it if you wanted to, mention that you fought May (when you fight her). Stuff like that. I'd include any Gym leader fights you have, any rival battles, any fire Pokemon that you catch (which I think are just Torchic, Numel, Slugma, and Torcoal, if I'm not mistaken) as well as any HM slaves you have on your team. You know, just post general stuff that happens. Mention when you beat Maxie, Courtney, and Tabitha (his two admins). There's really not an exact template you have to follow, so many people like to do it different ways. Some people post it in a story form (those are fun to read), some people post just screenshots, and some (myself included sometimes) just make it as basic as:

Got Torchic (Flame)
    Beat May
    Beat Magma Grunt in Woods
    Torchic Evolved into Combusken
    Beat Roxanne
    Beat Magma Grunt in Cave

Although most people make it a little more in depth than that. If you look at the last three posts above yours, jd, myself, and polkop are all following the same basic format. Again, its really up to you as to how you want to do it.

As far as the images, unfortunately, you can't post images until you have 15 posts total. PC rules are dumb When you do, you can go to any place that has sprites (I'd use Serebii probably, its pretty easy to use), right click on the sprite you want, and hit 'copy image location'. Then, come here, and when you want to put it in, click the little picture button on the task bar (it looks like yellow sky with two mountains and a sun) which is between the quote tags and email link. A little popup will come up telling you to enter the URL and you just have to hit CTRL+V to paste it. Its as easy as that!

If you want to post screenshots (like I did in my last post), and you are playing on an emulator (which is thankfully allowed), you just hit the screen capture button, then go to a place like imageshack where you can upload pictures. Find your picture (it default uploads to wherever your ROM is saved), upload it, right click the picture, copy image location, and paste it, just like the sprites.

Hope that helped!

myrrhman

Challenge God
    Years
    Crap. I was planning on doing this mono with just pictures, but I forgot that if you take screenshots on VBA, close it, reopen it later, and take more screenshots, they overwrite the first ones. So I only have four. I'll try to remember what happened (I think i'll hit the major points)

Beat Red with Cyndiquil.
    Hacked in a Magnemite (Alpha)
    Beat Falkner
    Deposited Mystery Egg in PC
    Scared TR out of Slowpoke Well
    Beat Bugsy and Red
    Taught Cyndiquil cut and then Headbutt so I could catch a Pineco
    Spent about an hour headbutting trees til I caught a Pineco (Beta)
    Taught Beta Rollout and Headbutt, then did some good ole fashioned grinding.
    Beat Whitney with Rollout.
    Beat Morty (I think Beta fainted in this fight, can't really remember. Nobody could do any significant damage to Alpha, though. I was faster than the paralyzed Gengar and had awakenings, so he didn't get to nom my dreams.
    Caught Krabby, got Surf and Strength. Taught them to Krabby.
    Backtracked and caught a Hoot-hoot since it was now nighttime. Taught it Flash
    Went to top of the lighthouse
    Went to Cianwood City. Got there, then backtracked and fought a couple of swimmers til both of my Pokemon evolved.
    Beat Chuck.
    Taught Fly to Hoot-hoot.
    Got SecretPotion
    Healed Amphy
    Beat Jasmine solo w/ Alpha. Sonicboom really helped against Steelix. So did Hyper Potions and Paralyze Heals.
    Flew to Ecruteak and saved. Tomorrow I finish up.

Years
    • Seen Mar 30, 2011
    Ground UMC update.

I beat Misty. Nidorina + Bite made short work of Staryu and his crew. I cought a Sandshrew and named him Quote, and moved on to Vermillion, catching a Diglett and naming him King (Anyone seeing a theme yet? :D) In Vermillion, did SS. Anne and then whooped Lt. Surge. Now I move to celadon. Oh and Qoute (Sandshrew) evolved into Sandslash.

My Team:

Jenka (Nidorina)
    Level: 25

Water Pulse
    Scratch
    Bite
    Double Kick

Qoute (Sandslash)
    Level: 24

Brick Break
    Slash
    Sand-Attack
    Dig

Balrog (Geodude)
    Level: 22

Tackle
    Selfdestruct
    Magnitude
    Rock Throw

King (Diglett)
    Level: 24

Fury Swipes
    Scratch
    Dig
    Magnitude

Oh and if it matters i'm using an Ivysaur as a HM Slave.

jdthebud

Engineering Solutions
    Years
    Update for Ultimate Monotype Challenge (Dark).

Upadte #2 on Silver.

• Beat the TR Hideout and then Pryce easily.
    • Beat Light during the Radio Tower, and vanquished TR.
    • Went to Blackthorn and beat Clair.
    • Headed to Victory Road where I beat Light.
    • Took on the Elite Four and won easily.
    • Beat Lance with difficulty to become Champion!
    Screens:
    Spoiler:

Kanto is next.

Team Shade:

Kuro the Umbreon, ♂ - L50 @ Amulet Coin
    Moves: Return, Faint Attack, Confuse Ray, Quick Attack

Devil the Houndoom, ♂ - L50 @ BlackGlasses -> Johto and Elite Four MVP
    Moves: Bite, Return, Flamethrower, Sunny Day

HM Slaves:
    Totodile: Cut, Surf, Dig, Whirlpool
    Farfetch'd: Fly
    Psyduck: Flash, Strength, Waterfall

Last edited:

blue

gucci
    Years
    Scraping my old Ultimate Flying Challenge, not that I want too but I lost all my files because of a Virus :( but I'll do a Monotype Challenge on Crystal with Steel type Pokémon, then I might go onto doing a Monotype on Pokémon Black & White :) - Are we allowed to use hacks, like harder versions of games or no?

jespoke

Still do monotype challenges once in a blue moon
    Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2020
    My challenges:

- Ultimate Water: Platinum:
    - Climbed up Mt coronet, beating a lot of galactic's
    - Came into the Distortion world, and realized that i'd never actually been there before.
    - Beat Cyrus for the last time. I'm soooo underleveled, this was freaking HARD
    - Caught Giratina in the master ball, as an Surf only did about 5-10% damage on it.
    Spoiler:

- Ultimate Bug: Platinum:
    Finally got my platinum rom to work on NoCash

Username: Jespoke
    Name: Insect4
    Rival: Bug
    Game: Platinum
    Starter: Piplup (For Surf and stuff)

- Started my journey with platinums far to long opening stuff
    - Fought my way to Jubilife
    - Im a type who takes the rules(And even the small exp gains) Seriously, so i saved, and started waiting for the night to come, so i could get my Kriketot before beating Bug. (The rules state that you should get your first team member as early as possible = Before the rival, through its only in night and morning.)
    Spoiler:

- Kanto Ground: I'm in team rockets hideout, after having skipped as much as possible after rock tunnel. "JUST GIVE ME THAT SILIPH SCOPE SO I CAN GET MY FINAL TEAM MEMBER, FREAKING ROCKETS!"
    Spoiler:

Last edited:

imevil

Biggest Scyther Fan
    Years
    • Seen Jun 5, 2016
    Ill join for ultimate monotype steel. Ill include Ishu (Unova). Ill start on Fire red and use
    Fortress
    Aggon
    Magneton
    Skarmory
    Metagross
    Mawile

polkop

LSHMSFOAIDMT
    Years
    Update on my ultimate mono-grass challenge - Unova region:
    - Ferroseed evolved into Ferrothorn
    - I get my seventh badge
    - I bet the Team Plasma in the Dragon(something) tower
    - I get my ehigth and last badge
    - I evolved Cottonee into Whimsicott with a Sun Stone
    - I evolved Petitil into Lilligant with a Sun Stone
    - I passed througth the Victory Road
    - I'm about to challenge the Elite Four for the first time

My team:

Amoonguss - Lv 46@ Poison Barb
    Jolly - Effect Spore
    Stats: 168/96/79/76/79/41
    - Synthesis
    - Giga Drain
    - Toxic
    - Sludge Bomb

Sawsbuck(autumn form) - Lv 46 @ Expert Belt
    Jolly - Sap Siper
    Stats: 137/106/73/55/74/114
    - Jump Kick
    - Horn Leech
    - Wild Charge
    - Retaliate

Lilligant - Lv 46 @ Gright Powder
    Modest - Chlorophyll
    Stats: 130/69/84/134/84/102
    - Quiver Dance
    - Leech Seed
    - Leaf Storm
    - Petal Dance

Whimsicott - Lv 46 @ Big Root
    Lonely - Prankster
    Stats: 127/93/90/89/81/122
    - Energy Ball
    - Hurricane
    - Poison Powder
    - Giga Drain

Serperior - Lv 46 @ Miracle Seed
    Impish - Overgrow
    Stats: 140/96/106/77/101/116
    - Strength
    - Coil
    - Leaf Blade
    - Giga Drain

Ferrothorn - Lv 47 @ Rocky Helmet
    Sassy - Iron Barbs
    Stats: 142/106/142/65/136/36
    - Curse
    - Iron Head
    - Power Whip
    - Gyro Ball

blue

gucci
    Years
    Pokemon Crystal Monotype Challenge (Steel)

Pokémon Crystal Monotype Challenge Steel #1
    • Started up Pokémon Crystal
    • Named myself Joe (after myself)
    • Got the Pokégear from Mom
    • Got Cyndaquil from Professor Elm
    • Hacked to get Magnemite & Steelix - Only using these two.
    • Grinded Magnemite and Steelix before getting the Pokédex from Mr. Pokemon
    • Got a call from Elm about a stolen Pokemon, made my way back to New Bark town
    • Battled a mysterious Red haired guy named Silver, won (easily :laugh:)
    • Got back to New Bark Town, talked to Professor Elm then started my journey!
    • Made my way to Violet town and battled some trainers on the way and saved the game!
    Current Team:

Magnemite; Level 10.

- Thundershock
    - Tackle

Steelix; Level 10.

- Tackle
    - Screech

Years
    • Seen Apr 26, 2011
    thank a lot
    I kinda ran thru the first three gyms last night with just Combusken so my memory is a tad bit hazy ;P
    Got Torchic (Fire Chick)
    Beat May
    Beat Magma Grunt in Woods
    Torchic Evolved into Combusken
    Beat Roxanne by spamming double-kick
    Beat Magma Grunt in Cave
    Beat Brawly with peck I think
    Beat Rival second time
    Beat Wattson by spamming double-kick
    Backtracked to get cut
    Got rock smash and strength
    Caught a Zigzagoon My first HM slave in all the years i played Pokemon:D
    Caught a Numel
    I am leveling up Numel now

myrrhman

Challenge God
    Years
    Caught a Zigzagoon My first HM slave in all the years i played Pokemon:D
    If you do a few challenges, you will very soon get used to them. The concept was new to me too. Back in the day, I wouldn't teach anyone cut, and just hope that I didn't need it wherever I was going. Now, I always have at least two slots designated for my slaves.

blue

gucci
    Years
    Pokemon Crystal Monotype Challenge (Steel)

Only did a few things since my last update as a couple of them we're major events.
    • Finally arrived in Violet City and healed up my Pokémon
    • Headed north to the Sprout tower to do some training
    • Battled all the sages and met my rival, then battled the head sage and got HM05 (Flash)
    • Healed up my Pokémon again and went to the Violet City Gym
    • Battled the trainers and Steelix grew to Level 11
    • Talked to Falkner and challenged him to a battleof , didn't take much to take out his Pidgey with Steelix and his tackles, although Mudslap didn't help lowering his accuracy. Second was Pidgeotto, again not too hard as I switched to Magnemite and it only took a couple of Thundershocks, and Magnemite grew to Level 11.
    • Falkner handed over the Zephyr Badge & TM31 (Mudslap) which I taught to Steelix, exited the Gym and saved the game!

Won Against Falkner!

Current Team:

Magnemite; Level 11
    - Tackle
    - Thundershock
    - Supersonic

Steelix; Level 11
    - Tackle
    - Screech
    - Bind

Yeah, those are fine. I think Shiny Gold and Liquid Crystal are both good to use too, but I'm not sure.

Ah right thanks, what I meant was using hacks like Emerald 386, you know where the gyms and trainers are edited to be harder, but only that, not one's with hacked maps ect.

Yeah, those are fine. I think Shiny Gold and Liquid Crystal are both good to use too, but I'm not sure.

Ah right thanks, what I meant was using hacks like Emerald 386, you know where the gyms and trainers are edited to be harder, but only that, not one's with hacked maps ect.

Last edited:

myrrhman

Challenge God
    Years
    Are you knowledgeable with hacks? Is there one of the harder trainer ones for Silver? That's my least favorite part about silver, fighting like a level 17 Golbat in Mahogany Town. I was actually asking people if I could hack games myself to make them a little harder. I just have a problem with Silver, all the others are good.

Also, copycat. You be stealing my type.

Edit for update:

Beat Pryce, Beat Rival, Stopped TR, Beat Claire and got Rising Badge. Then, when I could use waterfall, I did some spelunking to get: TM 40 (Defense Curl) that I taught to Beta, TM 18 (Rain Dance) to Alpha, and money for TM 25 (Thunder), also to Alpha. I was now ready for the Pokemon League, with my movesets almost final.
    Beat Rival one more time. E4 time.
    Will: Defense Curl + Rollout. Alpha killed Slowbro w/ Thunder.
    Koga: Rain Dance + Thunder sweep.
    Bruno: Defense Curl + Headbutt Hitmontop (couldn't rollout because he kept digging), exploded Hitmonchan, revived Beta, Defense Curl + Rollout Hitmonlee (he used swagger, so my rollout did ridiculous damage) but had to hyper potion, OHKO Machamp Rollout, OHKO Onix Rollout.
    Karen: Exploded Umbreon. Healed against the one-damage-per-lick Gengar then decided to keep Alpha out. Rain Dance + Thunder Gengar, Thunder Houndoom (he roared Cyndiquil out who died) then Roll'dout Houndoom, Vileplume, and Murkrow with my awesome Defense. Btw, that damage that Beta has on the Karen screenie? 95% of that is from one Houndoom Flamethrower while it was raining.
    Lance: Used a couple of Rare Candies on Beta so he could 2HKO Gyarados w/ Rollout and no DCurl. 2HKO Gyarados w/ Rollout (he helped me out w/ Rain Dance), almost fainted to Charizard but killed it w/ Rollout, stalled Outrage Dragonite w/ Alpha while I healed and used Thunder w/ Gyarados's Rain Dance, then swept the rest with DCurl Rollout.

On to Kanto
    Spoiler:

Last edited:

blue

gucci
    Years
    Are you knowledgeable with hacks? Is there one of the harder trainer ones for Silver? That's my least favorite part about silver, fighting like a level 17 Golbat in Mahogany Town. I was actually asking people if I could hack games myself to make them a little harder. I just have a problem with Silver, all the others are good.

Also, copycat. You be stealing my type.

Well not very but I've got tools to edit all the trainers in G/S/C only problem is you can't change the amount of Pokémon in their teams, I might just edit them, and that's exactly why, I mean fighting a Level 19 Rattata after obtaining the 7th Badge is sligthly poor, and yeah, ahah, I kinda saw your Steel monotype and it made me want to try it out, I've never done a steel type but I've done a few others like fire, flying, electric, water ect.

myrrhman

Challenge God
    Years
    Yeah, I just want them to have the same Pokemon they have (maybe evolve that lv. 17 Ratatta), but put them at like lv. 30. It makes a little more sense. Like there's a Cooltrainer after you save the radio tower that has like a lv. 27 Charmeleon, and that's it. Realistically, I don't think he could get that far with just a lv. 27 Charmeleon, even if the 7th gym is Ice. It should be like at least a 37 Charizard.

thenickel09

Lurker
    Years
    • Seen Nov 15, 2023
    I'm starting a Dark mono on Sapphire.

-Started game
    -Picked Treecko as starter (To make it tougher because Combusken is Fire/Fighting)
    -Caught 2 Poochyena
    -Helped WimpyWally catch his Ralts
    -Stopped the mean grunt threatening the wimpy Devon employee
    -Got to Rustboro and lost against the 1st Gym Trainer...(how embarassing >.<)
    -Currently at Rustboro City with 2 Poochyena grinding until they learn Bite :/

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back