• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ultimate Monotype Challenge Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sgt_Grovyle

-Not a Grovyle fool!
Years
  • Final UMC Bug update:
    After playing through the entire Sinnoh region with only bug Pokemon I realized how much I hate them which has made me decide to end my bug challenge here rather than move on to Black. I do plan on starting a new one right away and I'll be using Water types starting with Leaf Green.

Anyway here's the final info of my bug challenge:
    Player: Tyson
    Badges: 8
    Play Time: 25:31

Team:
    Spr_4p_402_m.png

Kricketune Lv.71
    -Swords Dance
    -X-Scissor
    -Brick Break
    -Night Slash

Spr_4p_214_m.png

Heracross Lv.71
    -Brick Break
    -Mega Horn
    -Stone Edge
    -Earthquake

Spr_4p_123_m.png

Scyther Lv.70
    -Aerial Ace
    -Swords Dance
    -X-Scissor
    -Night Slash

Spr_4p_414_s.png

Mothim "The lucky Shiny!" Lv.70
    -Air Slash
    -Shadow Ball
    -Energy Ball
    -Bug Buzz

TheUltimateFail

The Failure
    Years
    • Seen Jan 5, 2011
    Update on fire UMC:
    Started game on Heart Gold.
    Picked cyndaquil as my starter.
    Went to Mr. Pokemon's house and got an egg to take to Prof. Elm
    Got an urgent call to return to Prof. Elm
    Met a trainer who didn't tell me his name, but I "borrowed" his trainer card and saw that his name was LOLCATZ... wow
    I easily defeated LOLCATZ Tododile.
    I then made my way up to Violet City and went to Sprout Tower where my cyndaquil got to level 14 and evolved into Quilava.
    Afterwards I defeated Falkner(having to use a X-Accuracy I found because of all the sand attacks :(
    I then went west and talked to a man who informed me of the dangers of rocks on the ground, and gave me a HM to take em out.
    I then went south while training my Quilava and found a cave :O
    I went through the cave without a problem while picking up several items and training my Quilava.
    After I made it through I found out that Team Rocket was rudely violating poor little slowpokes! So Kurt and I had to take them out. They were a joke.
    I then was able to challenge Bugsy having a fire type it was incredibly easy.
    Afterwards I challenged LOLCATZ near the forest entrance.
    I easily OHKO'd his Gastly, His Croconaw never touched me he only used mean look and I 3HKO'd him. Then his zubat came out and confused me... I hurt myself in confusion 4 times in a row and died.
    After crying for like 2 to 3 seconds I went for him again this time same thing except Zubat's confusion ray missed so I OHKO'd him as well. Yay
    I then helped out the Charcoal man and got his Farfetch'd back. He then gave me cut and I revisited him and got Charcoal.
    I then went through the forest and further north to Goldenrod City.
    As soon as I entered I continued north and dodged the trainers on the way to route 36 where I caught a Growlithe and named him FireHeart.... I definately didn't steal that name from someone on this board...
    I then went back to the trainers and trained FireHeart.

Next up: Whitney's gym

Years
  • Final update of Kanto:
    I fought all the trainers I had left out in Victory road and grinded on wild pokemon. Rhino evolved and I finally decided to challenge the E4.

Team before:
    Spr_3f_034.png
    Titan(Nidoking)
    -Surf
    -Peck/Blizzard (Taught him Blizzard after I fought Bruno)
    -Megahorn
    -Thrash

Spr_3f_051.png
    Trio(Dugtrio)
    -Dig
    -Earthquake
    -Slash
    -Fury Swipes

Spr_3f_112.png
    Rhino(Rhydon)
    -Rock Blast
    -Thunderbolt
    -Stomp
    -Fury Attack

Spr_3f_028.png
    Blade(Sandslash)
    -Dig
    -Aerial Ace
    -Swift
    -Slash

Lorelei
    I HATE her. Her Dewgong kept surfing my pkmn. Trio finally took her out with Earthquake. Cloyster kept using Dive. On the turn she would come back up Trio or Blade would use Dig and finally took her out. Jynx and Slowbro both got OHKO'd by Titan's Megahorn. Lapras would not go down. Trio's EQ and Titan's Thrash together took her out.

Bruno
    The Onixes went down to Titan's Surf. The Hitmon's went down to Titan's Peck and Machamp almost died to peck, took out Titan and Rhino finished him off with Stomp.

Agatha
    The Gengar's and Haunter went out to Titan's Surf aswell. Golbat to Rhino's Rock Blast which hit 3 times the last a Critical and finished him off. Arbok died to Trio's EQ.

Lance
    Gyarados got 2HKO'd by Thunderbolt. The Dragonair's and Dragonite OHKO'd by Blizzard, all which hit first time, and Aerodactyl died to a Surf and a Thunderbolt.

Tyson
    Pidgeot got OHKO'd by Rock blast. Alakazam was OHKO'd by Megahorn. Rhydon OHKO'd by Surf. Gyarados got 2HKO'd by Thunderbolt. Exeggutor was OHKO'd by Megahorn and Charizard was OHKO'd by Rock Blast.

Gym MVP
    Titan He was stronger then the rest of my team and just breezed through the gyms.

Gym LVP
    Rhino I got him too late so he underlevelled for the gyms.

E4 MVP
    Titan Again, he was more powerful then the team and took out most of the E4 with OHKOes(Most was pure luck:P) Trio gets a mention for taking out Lorelei who was the biggest wall of my challenge

E4 LVP
    Blade He didn't do much due to him being outshined by other members of my team

Team After:
    Spr_3f_034.png
    Titan(Nidoking)
    Lv.60
    -Surf
    -Blizzard
    -Thrash
    -Megahorn

Spr_3f_112.png
    Rhino(Rhydon)
    Lv.56
    -Rock Blast
    -Take Down
    -Stomp
    -Thunderbolt

Spr_3f_051.png
    Trio(Dugtrio)
    Lv.55
    -Dig
    -Fury Swipes
    -Slash
    -Earthquake

Spr_3f_028.png
    Blade(Sandslash)
    Lv.57
    -Swift
    -Dig
    -Slash
    -Aerial Ace

I'm going to start now on HG/SS depending on if I can find HG or if I can get a rom of either

myrrhman

Challenge God
    Years
  • @Ayame: Starters are allowed to be used as revive slaves, as long as you teach them 1 HM. Meaning technically, you can get halfway through the game, go back and get Flash (and teach it to Pikachu), and then just call him an HM slave. When Zam said "cease using them in gym battles", she meant that until you got your first Pokemon, you were basically soloing with your Starter. When you get that first Pokemon, you aren't allowed to fight in the sense of using attacks, not using in battles."

J J JUAN

Psychic Master
    Years
  • J J JUAN, reporting in Psychic UMC

Finally, i've won pokemon Ruby with my psychic team. I'll go to Sinnoh now.

Final Ruby Team

Kadabra Lv 55
    Starmie Lv 55
    Solrock Lv 51
    Gardevoir Lv 50
    Xatu Lv 49
    Grumpig Lv 48

AyameHikaru

Beauty Queen
    Years
    • Seen Jul 7, 2013
    @myrrhman: Ah, I see. That does make sense. :)

Fire Type Challenge (Kanto)

Lt Surge fell easily to my Lv. 33 Charmeleon. Yay for forgetting he only had one Pokemon. :P I'm now slogging through the ENDLESS trainers before Rock Tunnel. Should be done soon. Next update, Ayame gets another Pokemon! O.O

myrrhman

Challenge God
    Years
  • Can you put me on Platinum electric please.
    Ah, I didn't know you were doing just Platinum. According to your userbar, you're doing an UMC, which involves all four games. Do you want to do that, or just Platinum? Either one's fine.

coolmansam, you're on the list. Happy Challenging!

Edit on my HG Water: I got the Rising badge, killed Ho-oh, and got the Masterball. To the league I go!

Last edited:

adhdguitar

Newbie Pokémon Hacker
    Years
    • Seen Jan 16, 2015
    Just started Crystal and I can't stop using the Space Bar! D: Maybe I should have played on a cart instead of an emulator. Named myself ADHD as always, and my rival Jerk. Anyway, I started by picking Totodile since he can learn the most HMs and sped my way through the game until I got all the way to Slowpoke's Well (took about 5 minutes) and caught a Slowpoke named Igloo. I trained Igloo in the grass and by fighting trainers that I skipped, but he fainted a few times and I had to use Totodile to finish the fight.

Igloo surprisingly managed to beat Bugsy, I took advantage of the fact that he sent out a Metapod and used Curse 6 times, and proceeded to sweep with Tackle. Igloo did however, faint against my Rival's Bayleaf. :(

Next, I made it through the forest, taught Headbutt to Slowpoke, and made it Goldenrod. I caught an Abra there named Spoons, taught it Ice and Thunder Punch and trained it to level 16 but I accidentally pressed B while it was evolving and it didn't get Confusion. D: Thankfully, it learned Psybeam on level 21. Whitney was fairly easy, but Miltank almost beat Spoons due to his low defense.

Now that I rushed through the beginning, I'm going to try my hardest to stay off the space bar. ;)

Main Team

gbc064.gif

Spoons-Lv23
    Psybeam
    Thunderpunch
    Ice Punch
    Teleport

gbc079.gif

Igloo-Lv24
    Headbutt
    Curse
    Water Gun
    Confusion

Slaves
    gbc159.gif

HM Gator-Lv20
    Cut

gbc175.gif

Fairy-Lv5
    Flash

Sgt_Grovyle

-Not a Grovyle fool!
    Years
  • As much as I hate to keep posting these small updates after beating the entire game I'll unfortunately have to do it again here too.

UMC Water update(Leaf Green)
    -Player Name: Misty
    -Badges: 8
    -Playtime: 52:57
    -I even went through the trouble of defeating the elite four both times and now I'm moving on to Johto.(Deciding to play SS instead of Crystal)

Final Team:
    121.gif

Starmie Lv.83
    -Surf
    -Thunderbolt
    -Ice Beam
    -Psychic

009.gif

Blastoise Lv.83
    -Surf
    -Hydro Cannon
    -Bite
    -Body Slam

073.gif

Tentacruel Lv.82
    -Sludge Bomb
    -Waterfall
    -Supersonic
    -Ice Beam

130.gif

Gyarados Lv.81
    -Hyper Beam
    -Earthquake
    -Dragon Dance
    -Flamethrower

134.gif

Vaporeon Lv.79
    -Surf
    -Hydro Pump
    -Ice Beam
    -Shadow Ball

Years
    • Seen Mar 7, 2011
    heres my update i started the game with piplup i beat the first gym with psyduck
    heres my pokemon so far
    psyduck lvl 14
    scratch
    watersport
    disable
    water gun

prinplup lvl 16
    pound
    peck
    bubble
    metal claw

jdthebud

Engineering Solutions
    Years
  • I think I'm going to monotype normal, starting in Gen 1 (Red, Kanto) and going up. I'll possibly change my type next gen.
    Well, an ultimate monotype means you use the same type every region, so if you change it the challenge is a single one or whatever.

myrrhman

Challenge God
    Years
  • Bored, and I have an hour, so I'm going to do Fire in Blue. Incoming Charizard/Magmar duo run.

Woot, finished in 58 minutes. Final team was Charizard (Slash, Body Slam, Dig, Flamethrower), and Magmar (Flamethrower, Leer, Psychic, Strength). Had to Revive Spam on Gary's Blastoise and Lance's Gyarados. But, we did it.

In other news, I've done 2/3 of the Monotypes on Red/Blue

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back