• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ultimate Monotype Challenge Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen Nov 22, 2011
    Hi everyone ^_^ I've been doing a monotype challenge for the last week or 2 and thought I'd finally make an account and update my progress!

I decided on a Flying monotype challenge and am playing on Heart Gold (I only own Heart Gold and Red from back in my youth :P only recently got back into the game series with HG)

I started with Totodile (So my rival has a grass type as his main ;) ) and did all the early game stuff

Caught a lvl 2 Pidgy and lvl 2 Zubat and had a difficult time levelling them up (I stopped using my starter the second I caught my pidgey)

I completed the first few gyms, the first was surprisingly hard as my opponents Pidgeotto with Roost was quite hard to beat, eventually just had to grind my own Pidgey up to lvl 18 and smashed him easy.

At Goldenrod city I got a Dratini from the gaming place (Dragonite is Flying, so I can use a dratini/dragonair).

At the National Park I caught a Scyther :D

I completed all 8 badges, killed Ho-oh as I had him on 1 hp (False Swipe) and paralysed and used all 30 ultra balls I had and failed to catch him (I reloaded and just smashed him easy :P)

Elite 4 were not that bad, Scyther was 1 shotting most of the pokemon and Dragonair took out the rest. Lance on the other hand with his Thunder Dragonite destroyed me time and time again. Eventually I levelled up a bit more and got a little lucky with my Crobat (Confuse ray ftw!) Elite 4 completed!

I then went and completed the thunder badge without much of a problem (except self destructing pokemon knocking out scyther a bunch :( ) and here I sit with 9 badges!

My team:

Scyther lvl 55

Dragonair lvl 50

Crobat lvl 47

Pidgeot lvl 45

Gyarados lvl 30 (HM Slave)

(Cant post pretty pictures until I make 15 posts :( )

On a final note, does anyone have any suggestions for a good flying pokemon to finish my team? It has to be from Heartgold as I don't have any friends who play nor any other version of the game (or a DS to link with). I was thinking maybe Honchkrow, or maybe a second Scyther as my first one is a bit of a powerhouse, or maybe another Dratini (I already have the Extremespeed one sitting at lvl 20). Thanks everyone ^_^

miltankRancher

Mega Ampharos is the one.
    Years
  • Update Three: Pokemon Heartgold Bug Type Challenge

- preE4 grinding.
    - defeated Will. (Butterfree's Bug Buzz did almost all)
    - defeated Bruno (Heracross' Aerial Ace and Close Combat)
    - defeated Koga (Butterfree's Psychic)
    - defeated Karen. this one is hard because of her Houndoom. I stalled time using full restore and revive, alternately. Finally, I managed to pull her Flamethrower's PP down to 0. (Pinsir's Earthquake and X- Scissor)
    - defeated Lance. I also stalled time using full restore and revive. Of Lance's Pokemon, all of them died from Forretress' Stealth Rock + Explosion. :)

First Half Done!

Team:

Liberty lvl. 54
    - Bug Buzz
    - Psychic
    - Sleep Powder
    - Shaow Ball

Java lvl. 52
    - Sludge Bomb
    - Sucker Punch
    - Shadow Sneak
    - Pin Missile

Steel lvl. 54
    - Strength
    - Swords Dance
    - X- Scissor
    - Earthquake

Zeus lvl. 54
    - Close Combat
    - Stone Edge
    - Aerial Ace
    - Horn Attack

Bastion lvl. 53
    - Stealth Rock
    - Spikes
    - Explosion
    - Gyro Ball

Adventure Progress:

Spoiler:

Last edited:
    Years
  • OK, I'm in!

Hi everyone,
    I decided to do a Kanto(LG) Water Monotype challenge .

Current Team

Sheldon Lv. 38
    -Water gun
    -Bite
    -Protect
    -Rapid Spin

Hurricane Lv. 31
    -Tackle
    -Hyper Beam
    -Leer
    -Dragon Rage

Tsunami Lv. 28
    -Water Pulse
    -Quick attack
    -Sand-Attack
    -Growl

My progress so far:
    -Got my starter after resetting a dozen times for a good nature.
    -Shortly after, I realized it was going to double as a solo run until I got the old rod and... Magikarp!
    -Jade forest was very easy with an over leveled mon. (except Poison Sting ALWAYS poisoned me on the first hit...)
    -Headed to Pewter Gym and Water gunned my self through... one hit per pokemon
    -Finally was able to run and ran through Mount Moon with just a small fright (one trainer has two grass pokemon...--')
    -At Cerulean, I decided to head for the bridge and fight Blue (luckily, Sheldon had learned Bite and his Bulbasaur didn't get to attack :D ) I fought through all the bridge and Route trainers easily, got the boat ticket and went back to Cerulean
    -With Bite, Starmie didn't stand a chance and I got my second badge effortlessly.
    -Went down to Vermilion, got the Old Rod and caught a Magikarp (woot?). I defeated every trainer nearby and on the boat and still had to do some grinding in the tall grass to finally evolve it into Gyarados.
    -Defeated Blue again (two pokes are better than one) and got HM Cut. I went back to catch a Meowth, named it CutFlash for obvious reasons and went to fight Lt. Surge. I used quite a few super potions and Paralyz heals on this one and Gyarados just stayed in his pokeball for this gym. Blastoise took the electric hits like a trooper and eventually beat Raichu.
    -Went though Rock Tunnel without Flash since I hadn't caught ten Pokemon yet. Dragon Rage helped taking care of several clefairies and I eventually got out
    -Raced to Celadon manor to get Eevee, Water stoned it^^, taught it Water pulse and started training it to get Aurora Beam.

PS : if someone can tell me how to do the "spoiler" thing, I'll gladly edit it :)

Last edited:

Strikit

Procrastinator Extraordinaire
    Years
  • For my Flying type Monotype Challenge I start with FR. My team stands as follows:

Maverick, lvl 16 Magikarp.
    Icarus, lvl 20 Fearow.
    Aries, lvl 20 Pidgeotto.
    Mr. Slave, lvl 20 Charmeleon.

Maverick and Mr. Slave are with me so that they will evolve to half Flying types. I use primarily Aries. Brock was a pain, I had to do a lot of grinding and changing. I'm now past Mt. Moon and trying to train for Misty.

Years
  • Update #1

Kanto (LG) Water type

Current Team

Splash Lv. 37
    -Brick Break
    -Body Slam
    -Hynosis
    -Rain Dance

Hurricane Lv. 37
    -Return
    -Hyper Beam
    -Leer
    -Dragon Rage

Tsunami Lv. 42
    -Water Pulse
    -Aurora Beam
    -Bite
    -Quick attack

More progress...
    -Went to game corner hide-out and trashed everybody there to obtain the Sylph Scope
    -Ran back to Lavender town and quickly went to the gate to get TM Return for my very happy Gyarados.
    -Took on the Tower. Ivysaur was a pain (no aurora beam yet, but Vaporeon learned Bite.
    -Vaporeon's Bite took care of the whole bunch of Gastlies around, and Water Pulse took care of Cubone's mother (RIP)
    -Ditched Sheldon... (Vapreon has Bite and better SpA... I'll get a Tentacruel, later...)
    -I got the Poke Flute and quickly "returned Snorlax to the mountains" and got the Super Rod(my long awaited treasure, on this run)!!!
    -Went to get myself a Poliwhirl and ground Vaporeon untill Aurora Beam
    -Gyarados took care of Erika while letting Poliwhirl get some EXP
    -Took on the army of Ratatas and Raticates, at Sylph Co. with Poliwhirl's Brick Break. quickly ran to Celadon to get a water stone, once she learnt Body Slam. Then Poliwrath took care of Giovanni's Kangashkan. the other two rock types were left to Vaporeon. (got Lapras along the way... not sure if it's going to be in my team since Starmie is a so much better Thunderbolt wielder...)
    -Heading down to Fushia, to get a Slowpoke, for Flamethrower...

Ciax

Ledian Used Starlight!
    Years
  • Havent updated in a while and havent progressed muc either. Have felt a bit burnt out from playing the games. Also I am leaving for school camp for ten days the day after tomorrow so I will have no progress for awhile. But heres what I've done.

-Trained up my team and got the skull back
    -Saved Baincas Munna
    -Struggled against Burgh but withg my new swadloon he fell to bug bite
    -Exploired the desert leveling up and decided not to get a Maractus, even though she is one of my favourite pokemon Sawsbuck will be more usefull. Maractus has the same moves as Lilligant and Serperior

Team Hayley

Eliza
    Lv 27 @ Miracle Seed
    Overgrow ♀
    Leaf Tornado, Slam
    Leech Seed, Mega Drain

Lilly
    Lv 27 @ Miracle Seed
    Own Tempo ♀
    Giga Drain, Sleep Powder
    Magical Leaf, Leech Seed

Teresa
    Lv 27 @ Quick Claw
    Chlorophyll ♀
    Bug Bite, Protect,
    Tackle, Razor Leaf

Ciax out :D

TheWeirdBadger

Ice Type Gym Leader
    Years
  • Update 1 - UMC - Grass

Spoiler:

My Current Team:

Florizarre, the Lv 23 Ivysaur
    Tackle, Poison Powder
    Leech Seed, Vine Whip
    Paras, the Lv 23 Paras
    Scratch, Stun Spore
    Leech Life, --
    Empiflor, the Lv 23 Weepinbell
    Vine Whip, Sleep Powder,
    Wrap, PoisonPowder​

Years
  • Cool, someone else is playing on a French version^^
    I just translate everything in my update too.
    Isn't it just a pain to try and remember attack names in both languages?
    PS : how come Ivysaur is not Herbizarre?

Years
  • if you havent already noticed, im taking a small break from my challenges. School and sports are overwhelming at the time and i cant find the time to get into playing. im not dropping out, just taking a temporary time of absence

The Lord of Smug
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Oct 17, 2013
    Oh hey so I went and completed a Dragon Monotype on Red. With no updates, to boot. So I guess this is a simultaneous IN post and FINISHED post.

Ice Beam
    Toxic
    Reflect
    Wrap

Slam
    Thunderbolt
    Horn Drill
    Rest

Fire Blast
    Double Team
    Double-Edge
    Thunder Wave

Surf
    Strength
    Dragon Rage
    Hyper Beam

Okay, it should be obvious who led the team. FYI, I hacked in a Dratini at the beginning (that's the Dragonite!) and caught the other three, legit at the Safari Zone.

My Dratini, then a Dragonair, was binned at lv 40 as I focused exclusively on the new three Dratini. Needless to say, it was quite a challenge, because they were all lv 15. But I managed, and it was a fun challenge, because I had to think how I could basically have four of the same pokemon, with no repeating moves.

This might be an ultimate challenge?

TheWeirdBadger

Ice Type Gym Leader
    Years
  • Update #2

UMC - Grass - Update 2
    Spoiler:

My Current Team:

View attachment 62573

Florizarre, the Lv 36 Venusaur
    Tackle, Poison Powder
    Leech Seed, Razor Leaf
    Parasect, the Lv 35 Parasect
    Scratch, Stun Spore
    Leech Life, Spore
    Empiflor, the Lv 36 Weepinbell
    Vine Whip, Sleep Powder,
    Wrap, PoisonPowder
    Dux, my HM Slave
    CUT, FLY

jdthebud

Engineering Solutions
    Years
  • Update for Ultimate Monotype Challenge (Dark).

Update #5 on Black.

• Postgame start!
    • Got the Super Rod, then headed to the Village Bridge, where I fished up my final team member, Carvanha.
    • Carvanha immediatey evolved into Sharpedo!

• Renamed him Jaws, then continued on.
    • Visited all the towns in eastern Unova, then started to fight trainers. Lucky Egg time for everyone!
    • I am currently saved in the Abundant Shrine.

Team Shade:

Jaws the Naughty Sharpedo, ♂ - L61
    Ability: Rough Skin
    Moves: Waterfall, Ice Fang, Crunch, Surf

Gangsta the Naive Krookodile, ♀ - L60 @ Lucky Egg
    Ability: Intimidate
    Moves: Crunch, Rock Slide, Earthquake, Strength

Commander the Brave Bisharp, ♂ - L60
    Ability: Defiant
    Moves: Iron Head, Low Sweep, Payback, X-Scissor

Vulture the Mild Mandibuzz, ♀ - L60
    Ability: Overcoat
    Moves: Air Slash, Fly, Dark Pulse, Nasty Plot

Lisa the Adamant Liepard, ♀ - L60
    Ability: Limber
    Moves: Night Slash, Fake Out, Return, Hone Claws

Punker the Impish Scrafty, ♂ - L60
    Ability: Moxie
    Moves: Crunch, Focus, Punch, Hi Jump Kick, Rock Slide

HM Slaves:

Oshawott - Cut, Surf, Waterfall, Dive [boxed]

The Lord of Smug
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Oct 17, 2013
    Myrrhman. Hey myrrhman. If you're reading this, I TAKE YOU ON AS MONOTYPE KING.

YOUR CROWN WILL BE MINE.

IT WILL FALL TO THE WRATH OF MY IMPERIAL HANDLINGS OF MYSTERIOUS CREATURES THAT MAY OR MAY NOT SHARE THE SAME ATTRIBUTES.

I ALREADY HAVE 3 MONOTYPES OF THE FIRST GENERATION, AND AM WORKING ON A FOURTH ONE.

Yes, I have a long way to go, but so what. If nobody's going to challenge the king, TIME WILL NOT MOVE ON. PROGRESS WILL NEVER BE MADE.

The world, nay the community - of pokes, even - will fall to the might of myrrhman, the evil king of monotypes. So, I say, to this glorious community of pokes, erm, "poke-community", ARE YOU READY TO OVERTHROW THE RULER?

We will claim the throne for ourselves! I want to hear you say YEAH!

All you have to do is to do all the monotypes of the first generation.

It'll be awesome. You'll see.

YOU'LL ALL SEE.

/away-ways.

drunk ¬_¬

Koga Bunshin no Jutsu!
    Years
  • I'd like to resume my Poison-type challenge!

I don't really know the teams I used for Yellow, Gold or Ruby anymore, so I'm thinking of just starting over… but I'll start from White (since I still haven't finished it :P)

I take that back, Imma try my luck with the Nuzlocke one… :nervous:

Last edited:

myrrhman

Challenge God
    Years
  • Myrrhman. Hey myrrhman. If you're reading this, I TAKE YOU ON AS MONOTYPE KING.

YOUR CROWN WILL BE MINE.

IT WILL FALL TO THE WRATH OF MY IMPERIAL HANDLINGS OF MYSTERIOUS CREATURES THAT MAY OR MAY NOT SHARE THE SAME ATTRIBUTES.

I ALREADY HAVE 3 MONOTYPES OF THE FIRST GENERATION, AND AM WORKING ON A FOURTH ONE.

Yes, I have a long way to go, but so what. If nobody's going to challenge the king, TIME WILL NOT MOVE ON. PROGRESS WILL NEVER BE MADE.

The world, nay the community - of pokes, even - will fall to the might of myrrhman, the evil king of monotypes. So, I say, to this glorious community of pokes, erm, "poke-community", ARE YOU READY TO OVERTHROW THE RULER?

We will claim the throne for ourselves! I want to hear you say YEAH!

All you have to do is to do all the monotypes of the first generation.

It'll be awesome. You'll see.

YOU'LL ALL SEE.

/away-ways.
    But I've already finished all the monotypes for the first 3 generations! And I think JD is done with the first 4 gens.

Also, since when was I an evil king? I have been nothing but a helpful ruler, kind to all my loyal peasants.

TheWeirdBadger

Ice Type Gym Leader
    Years
  • Update 3

Update #3 of my Ultimate Monotype GRASS Challenge!! :)

Spoiler:

Current Team:
    View attachment 62597
    Florizzare (Venusaur, Lv 44)
    Razor Leaf, Growth
    Leech Seed, Body Slam
    View attachment 62599
    Parasect (Lv 45) (Aka, the Gym Slayer)
    Slash, Swords Dance
    Leech Life, Spore
    View attachment 62600
    Empiflor (Victreebel, Lv 44)
    Razor Leaf, Sleep Powder
    Wrap, Poison Powder
    View attachment 62598
    Neggy (Exeggcute Lv 44)
    Egg Bomb, Hypnosis
    Soalrbeam, Psychic

[S-HIGHLIGHT]Ok, I have a question... Why am I not showing up under the Challengers thing?[/S-HIGHLIGHT]

myrrhman

Challenge God
    Years
  • Update #3 of my Ultimate Monotype GRASS Challenge!! :)

Spoiler:

Current Team:
    View attachment 62597
    Florizzare (Venusaur, Lv 44)
    Razor Leaf, Growth
    Leech Seed, Body Slam
    View attachment 62599
    Parasect (Lv 45) (Aka, the Gym Slayer)
    Slash, Swords Dance
    Leech Life, Spore
    View attachment 62600
    Empiflor (Victreebel, Lv 44)
    Razor Leaf, Sleep Powder
    Wrap, Poison Powder
    View attachment 62598
    Neggy (Exeggcute Lv 44)
    Egg Bomb, Hypnosis
    Soalrbeam, Psychic

[S-HIGHLIGHT]Ok, I have a question... Why am I not showing up under the Challengers thing?[/S-HIGHLIGHT]
    Zam and I have been quite lazy recently (as you can see, the last time we edited the OP was in april-june). Since you're doing UMC you'd eventually appear under Zam's post, when she gets around to updating. I'm actually slowly working on gathering all the progress of the 30+ pages that I need to update (~750 posts to look through), so its a very tedious task. But I assure you, I am working on it, and will be done hopefully tonight.

EDIT FOR SUPER HAPPINESS: Hey guys! Guess what? I have all the data for everyone who completed a challenge! Since Alakazam's update, 58 challenges were completed (if you are doing an ultimate and you beat kanto and johto, that only counts for 1. If you're doing an ultimate and you are only part of the way through, but still beat at least one of the games, it still counts as one though!), and as soon as I talk to Zam, then we'll have this all updated! Thanks for being so patient!

Your lovable king,
    Myrrhman

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back