• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ultimate Monotype Challenge Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2012
    UMC Electric Pokemon Yellow part 3
    -Found TM19 (Seismic Toss)
    -Made it to Bill's house and changed him back to Bill form. Got S.S.Anne Ticket
    -Devastated Misty with Thunderbolt. Got Cascade Badge and TM11 (Bubblebeam)
    -Desolated Rocket Grunt for TM28 (Dig)
    -Made it to Vermillion City
    -Got Bike Voucher
    -Got on S.S.Anne
    -Got TM08 (Body Slam) and taught to Chedder in place of Slam
    -Got TM44 (Rest)
    -Clobbered Mayo a fourth time
    -Rubbed a man's back and got HM01 (Cut)
    -Left S.S.Anne
    -Recieved Bulbasaur. Named Slave. Taught Cut
    -Recieved Bicycle
    -Trounced Lt. Surge with Body Slam. Got the Thunder Badge and TM24 (Thunderbolt)

Pokemon after Part 3

Pikachu (Chedder)
    82/56/45/82/58 (HP/Att./Def./Speed/Spec.)
    Thunderbolt
    Mega Punch
    Body Slam
    Thunder Wave

Bulbasaur (Slave)
    30/17/15/16/18
    Tackle
    Growl
    Leech Seed
    Cut

BTW, I love how the move Chedder learns before the gym leader every time is the move I use to defeat him.

Technician

Aerial Ace
    Years
  • Taking a break from my Ground UMC. Gonna start a Fighting challenge on Yellow. It might turn into an UMC if I have time, but for now it'll just be a single challenge.

Last edited:

imevil

Biggest Scyther Fan
    Years
    • Seen Jun 5, 2016
    First update of water one.
    So i start with Squirtle. And go get oaks parcel. I deliver it, get my pokedex and head out. I kill through all the Vridian forest trainers with Bobby the Squirtle. I level up to 14 and take on the Pewter Gym. Brock has nothing on squirlt e and goes down quickly. I head towards Mt. Moon and beat all the trainers on my way there. I get through the cave beat all the trainers and get the Dome fossil. I go back to Pewter but am currently unable to make the fossil a Kabuto which sucks. Wouldv'e been great second memeber to my team. So I head back throuygh the cave and grind some more.
    POKEMON
    Bobby (Squirtle)- Level 24

miltankRancher

Mega Ampharos is the one.
    Years
  • sorr for the lack of activity, acads and the christmas challenge got the better of me. So here I am, starting my new journey on the second region of kanto in HG! :)

- caught a Scyther, and immediately evolved it to Scizor.
    - proceeded to Kanto and trashed Lt. Surge.
    - boxed Ariados.

Spoiler:

team:

12.png
    Liberty Level 54

127.png
    Steel Level 54

214.png
    Zeus Level 54

205.png
    Bastion Level 54

212.png
    Judge Level 27

SquirtleGirl

Pokémon: 10 years + Counting..
    Years
  • Single Game Monotype Challenge

Region: Sinnoh
    Type: Water
    Name: Savcha

Team so far:

Pokémon: Piplup ♀
    Nickname: Piper

Pokémon: Magikarp ♂
    Nickname: Nikolai

*[the nicknames are an in-joke between me and a friend in r/l.]*

-Started a New Game. Starting all my games from scratch and deleted all my existing Pokés in my Diamond filel [with the exception of my EV-trained Arcanine in HG]
    -Did all the usual introduction stuff.
    -Obtained Piplup, nicknamed her Piper :3
    -Arrived at Jubilife
    -Delivered the parcel to Flash [my rival aka Barry.] (Whenever his Mom came into my house and was like "Have you seen my little Flash?" I couldn't help but laugh XD)
    -Obtained my Pokétch
    -Battled all the trainers beside Ravaged Pass.
    -Battled Flash
    -Got through Oreburgh gate
    -Arrived in Oreburgh City.
    -Went down to the mine to find Roark *swoons* Got into a battle with one of the miners and Piper fainted on a critical hit. And I was left with Nikolai the Magikarp and his [sarcasm]vast[/sarcasm] array of moves so had to switch the Gameboy off [Thank god I had thought to save beforehand!]

Going on to challenge Roark now. Should be a cinch with Piper.
    -

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Mar 18, 2021
    Poll!

Ok, I don't have another update, because I've been busy (with Christmas and New Year's and stuff), but, I was thinking about something. I'm just wondering, if you were a Gym Leader, which type would you use? I was thinking about doing this poll because we are all choosing certain types to play through the games with and it kinda fits in with the topic. Myself, I would choose Fighting, not because I'm doing it as a UMC, but because those guys are just cool, with Poliwrath, and Breloom, and others. With my answer and my UMC, I sorta picked Fighting because (in my opinion, I'm not trying to hurt any other type with this statement) it is the coolest type. With that being said, if you want to give me an answer, just post it with your next UMC/SGMC update.

miltankRancher

Mega Ampharos is the one.
    Years
  • UPDATE HG: BUG!

- so I defeated Surge in my last psot. Yup.
    - grinded Liberty, Pinsir, Forretress, and Judge up.
    - defeated Sabrina.
    - OTW to Celadon City.
    - trashed Erika's Jumpluff, Bellossom, and Victreebel. Exploded on Tangela's face.
    - one-shot all of Janine's Pokemon.

Spoiler:

Team:

12.png
    Liberty Level 60

127.png
    Steel Level 57

214.png
    Zeus Level 55

205.png
    Bastion Level 57

212.png
    Judge Level 43

Last edited:

SquirtleGirl

Years
  • Pokémon: Piper the Prinlup ♀
    Level: 18

Pokémon: Nikolai the Magikarp ♂
    Level: 12 [SOON.]

Pokémon: Shelly the Shellos ♀
    Level: 10

-Defeated Roark at Oreburgh [Piper also learned Peck!]
    -Returned to Jubilife and ran into those strange men with blue hair. Me and Lucas combined efforts to thwart them easily [with no help whatsoever from Nikolai, the Magikarp!]
    -Made my way to Floroama town
    -Saved the professor at the Valley Windworks!
    -Caught my Shellos at lvl. 8 and named her Shelly! :3
    -Trained up a bit against some of the trainers on the Route but my battery was almost dead so had to stop :<

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Mar 18, 2021
    UMC Fighting- Hoenn done!

Update #3!

The Pokemon League was tough. Before I started the challenge, I grinded (almost) everyone up a few levels (in Victory Road), though most of the training was for Bulma, as I was trying to keep her ahead and she was falling behind. Wally was alot easier than I thought he would be, even with his Gardevoir.

Elite Four!
    Sydney: Bulma mostly Double Kick OHKO'ed everyone, and Blaze Kicked Shiftry and Cacturne.

Phoebe: Once again, Bulma did most of the work in this battle. I used one of my Elixirs on her afterwards.

Glacia: What do you think? Bulma burned up the Glalies and kicked the Sealeos and Walrein.

Drake: This was the hardest of all. Drake switched out Shelgon before Bulma could kill it, and sent out Salamence. He was very hard, but I beat Salamence eventually. The Flygons were even harder! I was constantly Reviving people, hoping they would miss just once so I could land a blow. They were dealt with eventually. Altaria was surprisingly easy. Then, Bulma killed the Shelgon and won the match.

Steven: Easy, easy, easy. Skarmory and Aggron felt the wrath of Bulma, Armaldo and Claydol fell victim to Chi-Chi, and Cradily was pwned by Chi-Chi and Channeler. I forgot Metagross, who was killed by Bulma's Blaze Kick. Girl power!

The Furious, Fighting Fighters!!!!!!!
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    Naive Bulma (Blaziken) Lv. 56 Female

Type: Fire/Fight
    Ability: Blaze
    Moves:
    Double Kick
    Slash
    Aerial Ace
    Blaze Kick

Definitely the most useful throughout the whole game.

Swablu

I forgot to box this little guy. Used him mostly as a cover while I healed.

Sassy Channeler (Medicham) Lv. 45 Female

Type: Fight/Psychic
    Ability: Pure Power
    Moves:
    Detect
    Psychic
    Flash
    Hi Jump Kick

Wasn't that useful at all, but was able to make a cover while I healed.

Brave Po (Hariyama) Lv. 47 Male

Type: Fight
    Ability: Guts
    Moves:
    Surf
    Strength
    Rock Tomb
    Arm Thrust

DEFINITELY the tanker of my team, with over 200 HP and ok Defense stats.

Relaxed Keita (Machoke) Lv. 44 Female

Type: Fight
    Ability: Guts
    Moves:
    Strength (accidentally replaced Submission with this)
    Revenge
    Vital Throw
    Return (should have put this on Bulma for Slash)

Without a doubt, the most USELESS of all. But good for a meat-shield.

Gentle Chi-Chi (Breloom) Lv. 48 Female

Type: Grass/Fight
    Ability: Effect Spore
    Moves:
    Mega Drain
    Rock Smash
    Giga Drain
    Sky Uppercut

Sort of like the co-host of Bulma's show. Got me out of some sticky situations near the beginning, but got less useful the further I went.
    Yes! 3 down, 2 to go! I will start Platinum Version right away (it's a good thing I got it for Christmas!). This will be more fun, because now I can put down the computer and do the last two regions on my DSi XL.​

SquirtleGirl

Years
  • dpmfa394.png

Pokémon: Piper the Prinlup ♀
    Level: 22

dpmfa129.png

Pokémon: Nikolai the Magikarp ♂
    Level: 17 [SOON.]

dpmfa422.png

Level: 14

dpmfa418.png

Pokémon: Skip the Buizel ♂
    Level: 13

-Arrived at the entrance to Eterna Forest, after a particularly difficult battle with a girl with a Pachirisu [needed the Exp.]
    -Met up with Cheryl, got through all the trainers all right [and provided lots of much-needed Exp. for Nikolai, who as we all know, is a pain to level -___-] Got very frustrated with Cheryl for using Softboiled every time Chansey loses the tiniest bit of HP.
    -Whilst going through some tall grass, came across a Murkrow. Obviously, I can't use her for my challenge but seeing as Honchkrow is my favourite Pokémon, I caught her to put aside for post-challenge. Named her Sooty :3
    -FINALLY reached the end
    -Battled the Fishermen. Had the epic battle to end all epic battles with the bada** fisherman with the 6 Magikarp against my Magikarp.
    -Reached Eterna City
    -Did a bit of grinding against the wild Ponyta in the tall grass to the East of the city. Makes for easy training for my water types.
    -Going to do more grinding to at least level 22 for what I predict will be a hideous battle against Gardenia D:

THIS MUST DIE:
    417.png
    Its a water monotype trainer's worst nightmare (despite appearances)

UPDATE!!!

I still haven't set the clock back on my DS and earlier tonight when I was grinding, I caught Pokérus without even realising. So I saved my game and didn't come back to grind until 11.30pm. However the clock on my DS was half-past midnight. So just like Cinderella, my Pokérus was gone, never to be spread to my other Pokémon :( I hated myself so much in that moment :L

The only up-side is that I was grinding my Magikarp and usually I throw out another Pokémon to finish the battle, so both my Magikarp and my Buizel are benefitting now :D

And I have a good feeling about this playthrough! A Pokérus Gyarados and Floatzel... how lucky am I? O:

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Sep 11, 2021
    Oh wow this challenge just gave me the incentive to play through the older games up to Pokemon black and white.

I plan on doing a dragon tamer run, I decided to start off with Pokemon red to complete the kanto region of the challenge. My name is Jay,and I choose a Charmander then traded in Viridian City for a level 12 Dratini I caught in pokemon gold in the dragon dens.

My Team

Dratini
    Level: 15
    Moves: Wrap,Thunder Wave, and Leer

Log
    - Obtained a level 12 Dratini, it wont obey me!
    - Got threw Viridian Forest with only my Dratini
    - Caught a Pikachu for just collection/HM slave purposes
    - Beat the first trainer in Brocks gym with just my Dratini and alot of potions
    - Blindly stock up on potions
    - Stupidly try to fight Brock with just my Dratini using wrap at level 15, and I get destroyed!
    -Went to the mart to buy some more potions and I just realized I have no money left, LOL.
    - Completely stuck in pewter city with no chance of catching another pokemon because I got no money for a pokeball
    -Thinking about using the glitch to get past the guy blocking the way out of pewter city too battle the trainers for some needed money, or give up?

Last edited:

SuperKirbyFan

Weedle trainer
    Years
  • -Thinking about using the glitch to get past the guy blocking the way out of pewter city too battle the trainers for some needed money, or give up?

You could always do what I did on my Weedle Solo challenge and level up by beating Caterpies and Weedles in Viridian Forest. Also, in the future, save before a gym leader and then turn the game off and on if all your guys faint, that way you don't have to buy more potions every time you try.

Years
    • Seen Sep 11, 2021
    You could always do what I did on my Weedle Solo challenge and level up by beating Caterpies and Weedles in Viridian Forest. Also, in the future, save before a gym leader and then turn the game off and on if all your guys faint, that way you don't have to buy more potions every time you try.

Yeah that's good tips I made to many dumb decisions thinking I could blow past Brock, I can only blame myself lol. Bout the Verdian forest grinding that is good idea, and gonna try it but I got also play agaisnt Dratini not obeying me also, lol, it went to sleep in my last try against brock:disappoin. Gonna try to hit 20 and keep trying.

Also congratz dude if you beat the game with just a weedle lol I got no reason to complain if you did that lol.

SquirtleGirl

Years
  • -Amazingly, managed to defeat Gardenia and her minions trainers without much difficulty. I completely forgot that Gyarados is part-flying type and so isn't weak to Grass-type moves [Yes, I finally have my Gyarados, it was the happiest day of this challenge so far.]
    -Stormed the Galactic building, with no trouble besides Jupiter and her Skuntank ;[ But managed to whittle its HP down and save Rad Rickshaw and his Clefairy plus a Buneary.
    -Obtained the Bicycle [at last!!]
    -Transveresed Cycling Road, gaining lots of Exp. points on the way.
    -Arrived in Hearthome, met Mom at the Contest Hall, obtained the Hapiny egg and flattened Flash.
    -Went out to Route 209 to get my Good Rod.
    -Caught a Goldeen nicknamed Jewel. I don't know if I'm going to use her. I'm going to use her as a backup incase my planned Vaporeon falls through.
    -Going to go to the Trophy Garden and see if I have the patience to hunt for a planted Eevee.

dpmfa394.png

Pokémon: Piper the Prinlup ♀
    Level: 24

Bubblebeam
    Metal Claw
    Bubble
    Peck

dpmfa130.png

Pokémon: Nikolai the Gyarados ♂
    Level: 21
    Type: Water/Flying

Splash
    Tackle
    Bite
    -

dpmfa422.png

Level: 23

Mudslap
    Mud Bomb
    Rain Dance
    Water Pulse

dpmfa418.png

Pokémon: Skip the Buizel ♂
    Level: 22

Pursuit
    Swift
    Aqua Jet
    Water Gun

PhantomMennes

In-game Maniac
    Years
    • Seen Jan 6, 2012
    Hey there, I'm PhantomMennes and I've just signed up on this site. Why? I want to take your cool challenge!

I'll be doing a poison-type run on all of the regions. I like dragons most, but as we all know: they won't be available until late-game. That's why I'm going poison. Venusaur is one badass poke.

Gonna start on my old pkmn blue cartrigde (or do you guys suggest I play leafgreen?).

I'll try to keep you guys updated =)

Cheers,

Phantom

Years
    • Seen Sep 11, 2021
    Hey there, I'm PhantomMennes and I've just signed up on this site. Why? I want to take your cool challenge!

I'll be doing a poison-type run on all of the regions. I like dragons most, but as we all know: they won't be available until late-game. That's why I'm going poison. Venusaur is one badass poke.

Gonna start on my old pkmn blue cartrigde (or do you guys suggest I play leafgreen?).

I'll try to keep you guys updated =)

Cheers,

Phantom

Awesome, it will be pretty cool to see your progress in kanto since I too just started the challenge in the region.

PhantomMennes

In-game Maniac
    Years
    • Seen Jan 6, 2012
    Hi guys, back here with an update on my pkmn blue poison run!

So i'm currently in Vermilion where I just beat LT Surge with ease. I did not ran into a whole lot of trouble yet. Only got my ass kicked by rival FAIL on the S.S. because I forgot that he was going to show up.

My team:

Daisy - Nidoqueen
    Bouncer - Ivysaur
    Nugget - Golbat
    Tropicana - Weepinbell

Planning to get Tentracruel on my team and maybe Venomoth, but I don't think i'll need him though.

I'll keep you updated

Cheers,

Phantom

Years
    • Seen Mar 18, 2021
    UMC Fighting- Sinnoh

Hey guys, I started playing Pokemon Platinum on my DSi XL, and I have an update.

Update #1

I started off by naming myself Jake (typical) then start with a Chimchar and name HIM Tarzan. I catch a Starly simply for the puropse of Fly and Defog. In Oreburgh City, I catch a Machop Lv. 5. This is my Po for Sinnoh.
    Then I pwn the Oreburg Gym. Everything is normal until Eterna City where I catch a Meditite Lv. 14 on Route 211, and I name her Mimi. I then kill defeat Gardenia's people then go get me an Exp. Share. Then, I pwn Gardenia giving Meditite the Exp. Share. Then, I catch a Ralts Lv. 18 on Route 208 (This one was the fourth, the I accidentally ran from the first one, the second one Tele's, the third one I catch but is a female), naming HIM Lancelot. I decided to level up Lancelot at the ghost gym (making him a Kirlia), but Fantina gave me problems. I beat her eventually, though. Then, I went on to Solaceon, and eventually, Veilstone. And I save at the Pokemon Center.

My Fighters
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Calm Po (Machop) Lv. 27 Male

Often dozes off.
    Ability: No Guard
    Moves:
    Revenge
    Rock Smash
    Rock Tomb
    Vital Throw

Bold Tarzan (Monferno) Lv. 32 Male

Good endurance.
    Ability: Blaze
    Moves:
    Cut
    Mach Punch
    Flame Wheel
    Return

Hasty Mimi (Meditite) Lv. 24 Female

Highly curious.
    Ability: Pure Power (Again?!)
    Moves:
    Grass Knot
    Meditate
    Confusion
    Feint

Jolly Lancelot (Kirlia) Lv. 26 MALE

Likes to relax.
    Ability: Synchronize
    Moves:
    Confusion
    Double Team
    Magical Leaf
    Calm Mind
    Finally, I am in Sinnoh! I will use the Veilstone Gym to get Mimi some levels; she is slacking.​

Years
    • Seen Sep 11, 2021
    Dragon tamer update 2

Well I left off pretty much stuck. I messed up my whole run by poor decision making. I had no money, and my dratini would not obey none of my commands. It became unbearable falling asleep right in the middle of a gym battle, and hurting it self out of confusing plus the only move my dratini knew was wrap and it was just to ineffective to beat geodude.

I made the decision to start fresh. I named my character Black and traded in a lvl 12 dratini caught in the dragon den that I thought surf this time around (caught in pokemon gold).

Team​

Spr_1b_148.png

Level: 44
    Moves: Wrap, Body Slam, Surf

Spr_1b_147.png

Level: 28
    Nick Name: Blu
    Moves: Wrap, Ice beam, Thunder Wave, ThunderBolt

Farfetch'D
    HM Slave with Cut

Log:
    -Picked Charmander lost to my Rival
    -Traded my Charmander in Viridian city for a Dratini(WONT OBEY ME GRR)
    -Beat every trainer in the Viridian forest
    -Back track to Viridian city and beat my rival
    - Headed back to pewter city and ran threw brock by abusing my Dratini surf atk, Dratini is at level 15.
    -Headed on Route 3 and beat all the trainers it was some what difficult since my Dratini WONT OBEY ME!
    -Headed to MT. Moon and beat every trainer and got my dratini to level 25 it was a complete nightmare no repels and my dratini died every other match thanks to not obeying me. The rocket grunt with the raticate beat me 4 times:disappoin
    - got to Cerulean City and beat all the trainers in misty gym
    - Fought misty a couple times and got destroyed, surf or wrap did not hurt her pokemon
    -Gave up on misty and Challenged my rival, and all the trainers on the bridge.
    - Hit level 30 and my dratini evovled, and learned slam

-Challenged misty and after a few resets I won with slam.
    - Beat the rest of the trainers on the way to Bill
    -Dragonair leveled and stopped obeying me again ARGH
    -Went to Vermilion City and beat all the trainers in the way
    -Went on the SS anne and bodied everything. even though my dragonair didn't obey me it was really over leveled so it wasn't to bad
    -Beat my rival team with just my dragonair, and got HM cut.
    -Battle all the trainers in surges gym and beat surge himself
    - Headed towards Lavender Town, and beat every trainer in the way
    -Dragonair was pretty overleveled at this point making sutff somewhat easy
    -Got to Celadon City and got another dratini(lvl 18) from the game corner, and named it blu
    -Taught it Thunder bolt, and Ice beam
    -Trained it up to level 25 with the trainers from Lavender Town
    -Beat erika and her gym trainers with my new dratini using Ice beam
    -Thats were I left off at!

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back