• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ultimate Monotype Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen Jan 18, 2016
I'll sign up and do a Normal run :)

I already see Brock, Bruno, Chuck, Jasmine, Roxanne, and Steven giving me big troubles though :(

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
My old, commentary style logs will return next time. I just wanted to try this out. As you can see, these "diary" style logs are a bit... lengthy. Oops. To sum everything all up: Cyndaquil is named Tyson. My rival is named Shawn. You all know the rest.

I think it's nice to read :3

I'll sign up and do a Normal run :)

I already see Brock, Bruno, Chuck, Jasmine, Roxanne, and Steven giving me big troubles though :(

You'll simply have to come up with neat strategies ;)

Years
  • Seen Jan 18, 2016

You'll simply have to come up with neat strategies ;)
I already know what I'm going to do with Brock, get Rattata and destroy him with Hyper Fang :badsmile:

I have a question, if I change my type to poison can I merge my current Nidoking only run with a poison run so I wouldn't have to start Red all over and I could get to Silver a little faster since I only have used Poison since the begging of the game (started with Bulbasaur, then caught Nidoran immediately after and stopped using Bulbasaur)

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jan 18, 2016
The powerhouse run, what are the restrictions on that?
You just use one pokemon from the list in the thread the whole game for battling (your allowed to have HM Slaves), it's quite fun if you could use your favorite pokemon.

So I changed my Run type to Poison, I just beat Red. I started out with Bulbasaur, then as soon as I could I caught a Nidoran (M) and never used bulbasaur in battle. The only difficult part in the game was Brock since all Nidoran knew was normal and poison moves. After that it was smooth sailing until I got to the E4 and all of Loreli's knew super effective moves against me (her Slowbro was the worst since it was my anti-type). I beat the whole game with Nidoking (Lulwarrior) so now I'm about to start Crystal.

When I
beat Pokemon Red for proof

4224656284_30057f9496_o.jpg

4223890187_804b369a8a_o.jpg

Don't mind the play time, I used a rom to speed things up.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jan 18, 2016
Started Crystal, named myself Batmon, blah blah blah caught Spinarak named him Lulspy, caught Zubat named him Lulbatmon, caught Bellsprout named him Lulplant, caught Ghastly named him Lulghost . Now the 2nd gen challenge begins. I cant wait to use Nidoking again and name him Lulwarrior 2 to respect Lulwarrior.

Team:
Lulspy Lvl 7
Poison Sting
String Shot
Scary Face
Lulbatmon Lvl 5
Leech Life
Lulplant lvl 5
Vine Whip
Lulghost lvl 5
Lick
Hypnosis

Update, beat Sprout Tower with Lulghost as my lead, then went to Falkner, had a super tough battle since Lulghost couldn't damage any of them so I had to use Lulbatmon to confuse Pidgeotto, I did that till he got to half health, then I had to use Lulghost to put it to sleep and sometimes used spite to get rid of his Gust, then switch out to Lulspy to Poison Sting it, then switched out when he was about to wake up and repeated. This was a very hard battle.

4224878568_16fbcd5fa0_o.jpg

Team:

Lulspy Lvl 10
Poison Sting
String Shot
Scary Face
Lulbatmon Lvl 10
Leech Life
Super Sonic
Lulplant Lvl 11
Vine Whip
Growth
Wrap
Lulghost Lvl 12
Hypnosis
Lick
Spite

Waiting for day so I could get a Ekans

Last edited:

Designation_Leader

I iz ubsessed wit teh kittehz!
Years
  • Seen Jan 3, 2010
Hmm...looks interesting. I'd like to partake in said challenge.

I shall be using...Water. Yup. Simple enough. HOWEVER, I will be using a Gyarados in all regions. Blastoise is a cheap shell, Feraligatr is hax, Swampert is hax, and Empoleon is...epic hax. So Gyarados, seeing that I need to train it from a simple Magikarp.

I will be using:

-FireRed
-Crystal
-Emerald
-Diamond

My Crystal's battery doesn't work, which means I have to keep my SP plugged in, so yea.

.Gamer

»»───knee─►
Years
  • Age 32
  • NSFW
  • Seen Jun 18, 2019
Ultimate Monotype Challenge
Book 1 Chapter 5: Good Riddance Team Rocket

After getting my Vaporeon, which I lied last time, I actually named him Gordon, I obviously had to go about training him, and what better place to do that than the Rocket Hangout? Well at the moment there really wasn't one. So I went to the Rocket Hangout and trained Gordon/destroyed various grunts, with surprising swiftness. Gordon learned bite, hooray!

Traveled east to Lavender Town, to train Gordon some more now that he knows bite. I used only him in for the Channellers, leading to a terrible string of nothing but OHKO moves, i.e. bite, bite, bite, bite, etc. Gordon grew to level 36 which helped me out a lot, because now, he knows Aroura Beam, meaning Erika will be a peace of cake. Cleared out grunts got to Mr. Fiji, and got a PokeFlute. I went and woke up both Snorlax and just ran because I didn't feel like fighting them. Went south fought trainers, and got the Super Rod. I used said super rod to capture a Poliwag which I trained to evolve into a Poliwhirl, which I then evolved into a Poliwrath, but I forgot to nickname it, I was thinking Destructo, for the sake of being overly dramatic.

I traveled to Erika's gym, fought all her trainers, OHKOing all of them with one Aroura Beam, went to PokeCenter to heal PP of Aroura Beam, fought/beat Erika easily. I got HM02 Fly which I taught to Ch'ding, fulfilling his destiny of knowing 2 HMs for me. Currently, I am en route to Fuschia City to grab the Surf/Strength HM, which I will then teach to Blastoise/Poliwrath respectively. I am unsure if I should fight Sabrina or Koga first…either way I'm doing Sliph Co. next.

Team:

greenspr009.png

Dennis:
Lv. 37
Dig
Bite
Mega Punch
Water Gun

greenspr130.png

Harriet:
Lv. 35
Twister
Bite
Water Pulse
Dragon Rage

greenspr134.png

Gordon
Lv. 39
Aurora Beam
Quick Attack
Bite
Helping Hand

greenspr062.png

Poliwrath
Lv. 31
Brick Break
Water Gun
Hypnosis
DoubleSlap

jackswack

The Legendary Pokemon Master!
Years
  • Seen May 25, 2023
Progress

Type: Fighting
Badges: 2
Version: Yellow

UPDATE:

Went east of Pewter City and destroyed all the trainers.
Leveled up Mankey to around level 26 in and around Mt. Moon.
Defeated some trainers in Mt. Moon and Mankey evolved into Primeape!
Blasted through Mt. Moon with Primeape and took the Helix Fossil (for no reason XD).
Defeated Jessie and James.
Left Mt. Moon.
Entered Cerulean City.
Defeated Rival and all of the people on the Nugget Bridge.
Defeated all of the other trainers and got the SS Ticket from Bill.
Went to Gym and challenged Misty, I defeated all the trainers' Pokemon in one hit.
Battle Log:
PRIMEAPE used KARATE CHOP.
STARYU Fainted.
Misty sent out STARMIE.
STARMIE used HARDEN.
PRIMEAPE used SCRATCH.
STARMIE Fainted.

My Team -

View attachment 51696

Primeape (Level 33)

- Karate Chop
- Low Kick
- Scratch
- Rage

Fire Wolf

it's as humid as a sauna, boy!
Years
Update: I've finally completed the Kanto leg of my Flying monotype adventure, it required a lot of grinding, but in the end, I won!

Lorelei: Flamethrower and Thunderbolt handled her
Bruno: Giga Drain and Aerial Ace handled him
Agatha: Psychic and Earthquake handled her
Drake: Thunderbolt and Blizzard handled him
Rival Fail: Pidgeot was defeated by a Thunderbolt, same with Blastoise, Surf brought an end to Rhydon and Arcanine. Alakazam and Exeggutor were killed by Silver Wind, and that made me the Champion!

Team Time!:
pkfrlg006.png

Avian, the Charizard
Adamant Natured
Level 69, Male
Known Moves:
~ Flamethrower
~ Brick Break
~ Aerial Ace
~ Earthquake

pkfrlg018.png

Pigeon, the Pidgeot
Serious Nature
Level 66, Male
Known Moves:
~ Fly
~ Toxic
~ Steel Wing
~ Quick Attack

pkfrlg130.png

Splash, the Gyarados
Rash Natured
Level 63, Male
Known Moves:
~ Surf
~ Fire Blast
~ Thunderbolt
~ Blizzard
pkfrlg012.png

Butterfly, the Butterfree
Hasty Natured
Level 62, Female
Known Moves:
~ Psychic
~ Silver Wind
~ Sleep Powder
~ Giga Drain

So, move me to Johto, where I plan to use Delibird, Fearow, Scyther and Ledian as my team.​

jackswack

The Legendary Pokemon Master!
Years
  • Seen May 25, 2023
Progress:

Type: Fighting
Badges: 3
Version: Yellow

After I got the badge I went upwards and defeated the Rocket Grunt.
Then I went downwards into the path and defeated all the trainers before Vermillion.
I went straight into the SS Anne and defeated all the trainers (which provided good exp. for Primeape!)
Then I defeated my Rival easily and obtained HM01 (which I taught to Charmander).
I went out of the ship and watched it depart.
Then I went to challenge the Vermillion Gym.
I defeated the trainers and got on the lock on my first attempt.
Then I went to battle Surge.
BATTLE LOG:

RAICHU Fainted.
??? won the battle!

(Yeah, that was a pretty short battle)

My Team -

View attachment 51697
Primeape (Level 38)

- Karate Chop
- Low Kick
- Scratch
- Rage

Fire Wolf

it's as humid as a sauna, boy!
Years
Update: Started Crystal, and now I'm in Ecruteak with three badges.

Team:​

gbc022.gif

Kenya, the Fearow
Level 22, Male
Known Moves:
~ Mud Slap
~ Peck
~ Fury Attack
~ Swift

gbc166.gif

iWin, the Ledian
Level 21, Male
Known Moves:
~ Thunderpunch
~ Ice Punch
~ Headbutt
~ Rollout

gbc123.gif

Razor Claw, the Scyther
Level 26, Male
Known Moves:
~ False Swipe
~ Agility
~ Pursuit
~ Fury Cutter

And, instead of just adding a Delibird to my team, I'll add a Dragonite too :D.

Pekin

Wigglytuff is and has always been on acid.
Years
1st Johto entry
Version: Crystal
Type: Normal

Alright, we're in Johto now! I'm planning on using Furret, Noctowl, Snorlax, Porygon2 and possibly Ursaring in this challenge. Although if I don't use Ursaring, I will have to beat the E4 with only Furret and Noctowl. Anyways, I just kicked Falkner's ass. This is my team so far:

gbc162.gif
Furret, lv. 15
- Quick Attack
- Defense Curl
- Tackle

gbc163.gif
Hoothoot, lv. 15
- Tackle
- Growl
- Foresight
- Peck

Enilias

Successor to Hokuto Shinken
Years
I'll take on the Challenge. I will only use fire type pokemon, and to raise the ante, I'll solely use the starter Pokemon!

I start with Firered

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
I'll take on the Challenge. I will only use fire type pokemon, and to raise the ante, I'll solely use the starter Pokemon!

A mono solo run! Good luck :)

Challenge Part: 2/4
Version: Crystal
Type: Water
Badges: 2/16

. I started on Crystal instead of Gold like I wanted before, for some reason.
. Picked Totodile, went to Mr. Pokémon, got the Pokédex from Oak
. Battled rival in Cherrygrove, don't remember what I named him XD
. Went from Cherrygrove to Violet
. Skipped Bellsprout Tower
. Beat Falkner, got Zephyr Badge!
. Went south and reached Azalea, caught Goldeen on the way
. Defeated Team Rocket in the well, met Kurt
. Totodile evolved!
. Beat Bugsy, got Hive Badge! (I think? XD)
- Will now meet my rival before going into Ilex Forest...

gbc159.gif

TOTO
Croconaw Lv. 21
- Water Gun
- Scratch
- Bite
- Leer

Goldeen Lv. 10
Tag-along Pokémon...

Years
  • Seen Jan 18, 2016

I start with Firered
Nice call, I just did a solo run myself.

Update, got through Union Cave, beat Rockets, smashed my rival easily, killed Bugsy, caught a Nidoran (M), double kicked Whitneys gym so much, beat Whitney after about a million tries I forgot how hard it was without using that traded Machop that guy gives you, and now it's on to Ekrutek.

4226035576_a42740ba5d_o.jpg

Team:
Lulspy Lvl 13
Poison Sting
String Shot
Scary Face
Constrict
Lulplant Lvl 17
Vine Whip
Growth
Sleep Powder
Cut
Lulghost Lvl 17
Hypnosis
Lick
Spite
Curse
Lulbatmon Lvl 15
Leech Life
Super Sonic
Bite

Lulcobra Lvl 12
Wrap
Leer
Poison Sting
Headbutt

Lulwarrior Lvl 20
Leer
Tackle
Horn Attack
Double Kick

Last edited:

Enilias

Successor to Hokuto Shinken
Years
Defeated Brock with Lvl 18 Charmeleon.
Metal Claw is nifty, but Ember works wonders as well, since Onix def is 4 times higher than his sp. def =O!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back