• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ultimate Monotype Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Esp1222

Psychic Lover
Years
Well, I finished my Fire Challenge.

-Beat the harder E4 in Platinum..

Team:

Infernape Lv.75
-Close Combat
-Flare Blitz
-Shaow Claw
-Mach Punch

Rapidash Lv.74
-Flare Blitz
-Fire Blast
-Sunny Day
-Bounce

Magmortar Lv.70
-Fire Punch
-Thunder Punch
-Confuse Ray
-Lava Plume

Camerupt Lv.66
-Eruption
-Earth Power
-Lava Plume
-Take Down

Camerupt was added while at Stark Mountain. Add me to Champion's List.

I beat Hoenn with a Lv.100 Blaziken on Emerald, btw...

Nathanyiel

It seems you lost the game...
Years
  • Seen Oct 23, 2012
HOW DID THAT HAPPEN!!! OH MY GOD I JUST WROTE ANOTHER UPDATE AND WHEN I PUT IN MY GARCHOMP IMAGE IT CLOSED THIS PAGE!!!!!!!!!!

ahh...well this time I think I'll just write a very condensed update...

-Got through the fog to Celestic town
-beat some galactics and got surf
-Went back to Hearthome without fly on accident (facepalm)
-Killed some ghosts and got a nifty-keen badge! ghostbusters!
-Got to canalave, this time with fly in hand (thank god)
-Pwned Byron with Dig, and fire fang for Bronzor. Oh, did I mention Gabite evolved?
-got the Earthquake tm now that I can use strength.

I put this in my update before it was deleted, but i'm assuming garchomp is not an uber for the sake of this competition...there is a rule on not using ubers right? or maybe it was just legendaries...

Also, I feel your pain raekuul :(

Team

Garchomp Lv. 46
-Earthquake
-Slash
-Fire Fang
-Dragon Claw
No image!!! I'm not risking another delete!!

Last edited:

Charmageddon

Charizard has evolved into ^
Years
  • Seen Apr 25, 2016
You can use Ubers, it's just legendaries that are banned.

God, the Rockets are boring in GSC. If I see one more Koffing I will personally blow up the region (I will use Self-destruct for ironic purposes). So I killed the Rockets in Mahogany and the wiped out Pryce. I forget what happened, it was just a jumble of Fighting moves from each of my Hitmons. I went back to Jasmine and swept her with Jonathan. Did all the Goldenrod Rocket stuff, then went to Blackthorn. The three Dragonairs went down to several Ice Punches each, the last one being a serious pain in the bottom with parahax. Kingdra was annoying, I could have 2HKOed it with Jonathan's Hi Jump Kick if hax hadn't been on her side again with smokescreen/accurahax, plus an irritating Hyper Potion. Andrew finished her off with Strength. Did the Dragon's Den crap and won the Rising Badge.

Warren/Hitmonchan
Spr_2c_107.gif

Lvl. 40
- Mach Punch
- Fire Punch
- Ice Punch
- Thunderpunch
Great coverage, shame about the crap Special Attack. I fed him a few Calciums to boost it a little.

Jonathan/Hitmonlee
Spr_2c_106.gif

Lvl. 39
- Swift
- Mud Slap
- Hi Jump Kick
- Focus Energy
The best thing about this moveset is the raw power of Hi Jump Kick. Swift is average, Mud Slap is barely still useful and I haven't used FE once.

Andrew/Hitmontop
Spr_2c_237.gif

Lvl. 39
- Strength
- Thief
- Hidden Power (Fighting)
- Dig
I was hoping for a HP of a different and more useful type like Water or Grass, but I guess the STAB is quite good. I forgot Thief was a special move when I taught it, so it's a little bit useless. Still, it'll hopefully help me out against Will.

Nathanyiel

Years
  • Seen Oct 23, 2012
Update time!
-All of my Twinleaf buddies showed up and voted me to go to all the lakes in Sinnoh.
-I went to Valor Lake and killed a new Galactic member, Saturn. Earthquake for her toxicroak!
-Went to Verity Lake and beat Mars once again. these galactics are surprisingly weak...
-Ugh...trekked through mt. coronet and a huge snowfield which took forever and arrived at Acuity Lake...but the galactics wouldn't let me in. Due to Nintendo's attempt at a plot, I was not allowed to battle them.
-Beat candice in her gym. You would think it would be a hard battle since she's ice type, but her Snover and Abomasnow are 4x weak to fire fang, and her sneasel was OHKO'd by it too due to its pathetic defenses. I have no clue why she has a Medicham, but an earthquake took care of that.
-I returned to Acuity Lake expecting a battle with Jupiter but...nothing.
-Pissed at Jupiter for running away, I flew to the Galactic HQ to give her a piece of my mind.
-Took a key from a grunt and got into the warehouse. the Galactics are smart enough to put a tunnel from the warehouse to the HQ so I destroyed them from the inside out.
-I battled Cyrus at the end of my rampage, and it was slightly challenging, since I only had a super-effective move for sneasel. I used dragon claw to take out his Murkrow and Golbat, since I couldn't use earthquake. The tough part was his haxor golbat, who kept confusing me.
-Afterwards, Saturn showed up again! Her team was owned by earthquakes and a fire fang for Bronzor.
-I justly set Mesperit, Azlef, and Uxie free.
-Mt. Coronet is looming...so i saved :P
Nice, it didn't delete this time...

Team:
dpmfa445.png
Lv. 51 @ Flame Plate, Adamant
-Earthquake
-Rock Tomb
-Fire Fang
-Dragon Claw
Destroys everything in its path! Just before saving I remembered where the Rock Tomb TM is and now he can finally deal with flying types!!

raekuul

Team Anorith Grunt
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 13, 2017
Red's Pikachu was completely useless against my Grounder. Screech + Slash + Slash = Win

Blastoise. Blizzard. Bleh. At least I was able to land a Leech Seed before he blizzarded me to death. And Zap Canyon came in very handy.

Espeon. Poison + Leech Seed + Just tough enough to survive Psychic + A she-tonne of Full Restores = Win

Charizard. Woodsie was not fast enough to land a Leech Seed, so I have to do this the hard way: SandStorm + Sand-Attack + A Whole Lot of Revives + Luck.

Snorlax. Not so lucky here. Need to get very lucky to get Woodsie fully healed long enough to start Leech Seed... which Zap Cannon provided! Yay Pokey!

Venusaur. Wasted all his Sunny Beams on Woodsie, and then decided to keep launching Solarbeams at Grey Eagle... on turns when he was in the air. Stupid...

So yeah, win for me. Time to move on to Emerald. Can't wait to get to Glacia...

Woo...

(For the Record, Glacia is currently murdering my non-MTC team...)

Nathanyiel

Years
  • Seen Oct 23, 2012
Update!
-Fought up to the top of Mt. Coronet
-Destroyed Mars and Jupiter. I fire fanged both their bronzors and they sent out their golbats. When I was killing Mars' bronzor Jupiter's golbat used air cutter. Then I earthquaked their Skuntank and Purugly to oblivion.
-Battled Cyrus. I OHKO'd his Honchkrow with rock slide (I picked up the tm in Mt. Coronet on the way up) and then I used fire fang on his weavile, which somehow survived by 1 HP, I thought it was dead then it said "restored HP with Sitrus berry" and I thought it would use an ice attack...but it used X-scissor. Fail. Next up was Gyarados. I used rock slide, which didn't kill it, and it used earthquake. then I used dragon claw to finish the job. I proceeded to OHKO his Crobat with another rock slide. Not too hard :P
-Dawn and Rowan somehow got up to the top of the mountain...
-Killed Dialga with earthquake. goodbye, fellow dragon...
-Dawn and Rowan made we walk all the way down Coronet :(
-Got to sunnyshore. bothered volkner to make him return to his gym.
-Painstakingly got through the gym puzzle and fought volkner. Earthquake killed his entire team except Octillery, for which I used dragon claw.
-Got to Victory Road, and slowly made my way through.
-my idiot rival made an appearance. He thinks he's so clever...rock slide for staraptor, fire fang on heracross, dragon rush on Snorlax (I replaced dragon claw), and earthquake was planned super effective for the rest (rosarade, rapidash, empoleon)
-Almost going to take on the E4 and finish the challenge!!

TEAM
dpmfa445.png
Lv. 62 @ Stone Plate, Adamant
-Earthquake
-Rock Slide
-Crunch
-Dragon Rush
I'm gonna do a bit more grinding, I don't want to encounter problems with Cynthia's Garchomp or Milotic, or with any of Lucian's team. Also, I switched out Fire Fang for Crunch just for Lucian because I don't really need Fire Fang for much other than his Bronzong, which I think I can take out easily enough.

EDIT:
All right, here's how the battles went:

Aaron: Rock slide OHKO'd his entire team except for Drapion, which I killed with an Earthquake. Not a scratch.

Bertha: I used Dragon Rush on her Quagsire, Whishcash, and Hippodown, all of them got OHKO'd, though it probably wouldn't have killed Hippodown if it hadn't ben a crit ;). I used Earthquake on Sudowoodo and Golem.

Flint: Ahh, the fire-type user who has only 2 fire types...He'd be banned from this challenge for sure. Anyways, it was a bit of the challenge due to the variety of his team. I used Earthquake on his Rapidash, Steelix, and Infernape, all of which were OHKO'd. He then sent out Lopunny and it used fire punch (?) after I missed with dragon rush, causing minimal damage. I then killed it because dragon rush managed to actually hit. For his Drifblim, I just kept throwing rock slides at it. It took 3 to kill it, and I luckily didn't sent it into the red zone so he didn't use a full restore.

Lucian: I swept through Mr. Mime and Alakazam with crunch before he sent out Bronzong. I began to regret forgetting Fire Fang :( as he proceeded to set up calm minds. However, he never attacked and after 4 crunches he was dead. 2 more Crunches took out Girafarig and Medicham.

Cynthia: A saddening battle to say the least. Beforehand I restored all of Garchomp's PP and healed it up. She opened out with her Spiritomb and I fired away with Earthquakes. It took 2 to kill it, and in between it set up Embargo. Looks like I won't be healing... Next up, Garchomp of course. I struck first and...missed with dragon rush...Of course she hit with hers and I lost.

*sigh*

Gonna take on the E4 again, I guess.

EDIT: Went through the rest of the E4 again. Don't really want to write it all up though.

Cynthia - 2nd Attempt: Began the same. However, this time after my Dragon Rush missed (I thought I was dead for sure) hers did too! My next attack connected and Garchomp went down. She then sent out Gastrodon, which I disposed of with an earthquake and a crunch to finish it off, since it luckily hadn't fallen in the red zone. It used an earthquake in between, but it only brought me near yellow. Next up was Milotic. If I recall correctly, it has ice beam, which I had to look out for. Thankfully, Milotic's poor defense caused it to die from an Earthquake. She sent out Rosarade, and I killed it with Earthquake as well, along with her last pokemon, Lucario.
That's all for now...

Wait a second, I'm DONE!!!!

CHALLENGE COMPLETE FOR THE DRAGON TYPE!!

FINAL TEAM

dpmfa445.png
Lv. 69 @ Stone Plate, Adamant
-Earthquake
-Rock Slide
-Crunch
-Dragon Rush

Ahhh, finally this challenge is over...I do want to take it again, but not right now. Makes me wonder what type to use. I think I might make videos of my gym battles too, that would be cool. There are only three other types that haven't been completed yet, Ghost, Ice, and Rock and I think it would be cool to have a first completed for 2 types but I think I might want to do one with a bit more variety this time around, since I was pretty much soloing all the games. If I do pick one of those three though it'll probably be Ice.

Last edited:

Impo

Playhouse Pokemon
Years
okay, i'll update for blue (already done crystal :P )

Spr_1b_008.png
Spr_1b_129.png

-Got Squirtle from Oak
-Killed Bulbasaur of Gary.....forgot map :( .
-Recieved Package and delivered to Oak
-Travelled through Viridian Forest 3x, fainting from poisons.
-Beat Brock with 3 moves
-Evolved Squirtle
-Beat all trainers in nearest route
-Bought Magikarp for $500

i'm yet to enter mt moon, but my warturtle is overpowering :) .

Nathanyiel

Years
  • Seen Oct 23, 2012
@Impo you have to do it in order...sorry, but Blue comes before Crystal. I guess you could continue, but you'd have to do Crystal again...

Fire Wolf

it's as humid as a sauna, boy!
Years
Nope, he doesn't need to do Crystal again, the person who completed the challenge did in this order: Johto -> Kanto -> Hoenn -> Sinnoh

Nathanyiel

Years
  • Seen Oct 23, 2012
Well I guess we'll see what Zam has to say about it, but I think he has to do Kanto first.
I guess for now you should just continue in Blue, Impo.

BTW, does anyone have any ideas for what type I should do next? I've got no ideas.

Nathanyiel

Years
  • Seen Oct 23, 2012
I was actually considering it...also it offers a bit of variety as well. The main trouble is they're all the same type with the same moveset :(

Impo

Playhouse Pokemon
Years
oops, i originally didnt do a ultimate monotype, i just wanted to do crystal, but i ended up wanting to do all of them :P

Fire Wolf

it's as humid as a sauna, boy!
Years
I was actually considering it...also it offers a bit of variety as well. The main trouble is they're all the same type with the same moveset :(
That's the challenge in it :P.
Go for Psychic then, or Ice, or if you want an easy challenge take Water or Normal.

Telarus

Buggin' Out
Years
  • Age 31
  • Utah
  • Seen Oct 19, 2023
Alrighty, update time. Sat down all day and waltzed through Crystal (yawn), with Scyther, Forretress, and Ariados. Beat the E4 for the first time. Easy peasy. Off to Kanto!

Charmageddon

Charizard has evolved into ^
Years
  • Seen Apr 25, 2016
Rock is alright after you get past the Rock/Grounds in RBY. Then you get pure Rock, Rock/Dark, Rock/Psychic, Rock/Bug, Rock/Grass, Rock/Steel and Rock/Fire. Even in RBY you're guaranteed a Rock/Flying and a Rock/Water.

Telarus

Buggin' Out
Years
  • Age 31
  • Utah
  • Seen Oct 19, 2023
After zooming through the game, and all of Kanto, i decided i'd just solo the rest with scyther (yarly.) Ran through, beat all the gyms in kanto, took a stroll up to mt. silver, and had a difficult battle with red. Good times.

lubudefeat.png

On to Emerald!!

mattman324

Run to the hills, run for your lives!
Years
BTW, does anyone have any ideas for what type I should do next? I've got no ideas.

How about starting with the games hardest type (Electric)? As long as you make sure to pick up an Electabuzz in Kanto, it isn't TO hard... (gen2 gets Elektabuzz or Ampharos depending on version, Emerald gets Thief pretty early, Platinum[And NOT Diamond/Pearl, which would be imposible] get's Rotom.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back