• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ultimate Monotype Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Johto Rock challenge is completed! (and I now feel very ill)

Again, snapshots for Kanto because I'm really bored of GSC Kanto. It's no fun to play in after the first couple of times. Also I've come down with a bad flu bug and repetitive Pokemon grinding is not good for that. Hence this very short update, as I'm tired and want to sleep.

First, Lt Surge - Mainly Earthquakes from Rokaa.
Erika - Plenty of stalling from Shuckie, with some kamikaze missions from Woody and Rokaa.
Brock - Surfs from Carol and Earthquakes from Rokaa.
Blaine - Over so quickly I forget what happened.
Sabrina - Kamikazes again.
Janine - Same as Blaine

Here inserteth some grinding. Evolved Rexi the Pupitar into Tyranitar and trained everyone to lvl. 56. Then came Blue.

Pidgeot was one-shotted by Woody's Rock Slide. Rhydon was taken down by Carol's Surf. Gyarados took some PP stalling from Carol before it died. I forgot I had Tyranitar to face Alakazam, but luckily Woody outsped and OHKOed it anyway. Exeggutor was stalled/Sludge Bombed by Shuckie. Arcanine was a simple matter of Surf from Carol. Easy once I was high level enough. I then swept through Misty with Tyranitar.

No grinding for Red, I went straight for it, and one on my first go. Pikachu was taken down by Rokaa's Earthquake. Espeon caused Rexi a mild annoyance with Mud-Slap but was beaten by 2 Crunches. Venasaur took much stalling from Shuckie (who gets major win for taking two STAB Solarbeams). Blastoise was a matter of PP stalling with Carol until he couldn't use Surf anymore. Luckily he didn't get a critical at all. Rexi then took him out with Rock Slides and EQs. I meant to switch to Woody for Snorlax, but I accidentally selected Rokaa instead. Luckily Screech and EQs won it for me. Woody came in to beat OHKO Charizard with Rock Slide. All hail the champion.

Rokaa (Onix)
*bulbagarden.net image removed*
Lvl. 56
- Iron Tail
- Screech
- Earthquake
- Headbutt
Meh, he was alright. Screech got me out of a few tight corners, and EQ was powerful.

Woody (Sudowoodo)
Lvl. 56
- Rock Slide
- Faint Attack
- Low Kick
- Slam
A decent Pokemon let down by a substandard moveset. Rock Slide was the only move I used consistently.

Carol (Corsola)
Lvl. 56
- Strength
- Hidden Power (Rock)
- Surf
- Psychic
Improved greatly after the addition of Psychic, and Surf was invaluable as always.

Shuckie (Shuckle)
Lvl. 57
- Sludge Bomb
- Sandstorm
- Wrap
- Bide
Shuckie, Shuckie, he's out man, if he can't stall it no-one can!

Rexi (Tyranitar)
Lvl. 57
- Rock slide
- Crunch
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast
MVP in the last run of the game, due to his overwhelming power when it comes to pure stats. I spent loads of money on Fire Blast, intended for Venasaur, but the move was never actually used once.

Can I sleep now?

Thanks

Yes
but I have used my starter and skiped brawly before I caught oddish

Defeated Gary once again on S.S. Anne and got HM1 Cut.
Went to go capture a voltorb before taking on Lt. Surge. Grinded Voltorb till he learned sonicboom.
Defeated Lt. Surge with Pikachu's mega punch knocking out Raichu.
"image removed"
Freaknizzle
lvl 32
-thundershock
-swift
-mega punch
-t wave
"image removed"
Freaknik
lvl 20
-tackle
-sonicboom
-screech

"image removed"
lvl 15
-cut
-ember
-leer
-growl

It's gonna be a long time till i catch another electric pokemon

OK, I hit a spell where I got bored of the whole Mono-Type idea. But I'm back, and a champion too!

Alakazam, could you put me back on the list? I'm going to start the Johto leg soon.

It's been so long, I've forgotten the details of most of my adventure between pre-Sabrina and post-E4. So, to make a long story that is mostly made up due to my forgetting the details short...

• Beat Sabrina. I think I mostly Swords-Danced Earthquaked the place.
  • Surfed to Cinnabar, then spent a bit too much time in the Pokemon Mansion, because I didn't think to Google a map.
  • Beat Blaine. I beat the puzzles, then battled the trainers anyways.
  • Flew to Viridian, then got the Earth Badge. I really can't remember a thing about this one, except that I won.
  • After beating my rival with minor dificulty, I made it out of Victory Road.
  • While in Victory Road, used my Master Ball on Moltres, and took it's Lv. 50 (near) worthlessness with me into the Elite Four. Sadly, I think I would have lost if not for it.
  • Used my excess of money and worthless TMs to buy WAY too many Hyper Potions, Full Heals, Full Restores, etc.
Elite Four:

Loreli:

The one I was most worried about, because most of her Pokemon had Water as their second type AND one (Or more?) of their moves.

Both times, nothing but Lapras was a real threat, because of its Hydro Pump.

The first time, Jynx got to be one of the most annoying things EVER. Why? It uses Ice Punch. My Pokemon can shake that off... Except for the fact that it froze me.
OK... That's what Full Heal is for, right? So I use the Full Heal, and it Ice Punches again, and I consider using a Hyper Potion... Then I see:
"Kasai is frozen solid!"
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
You can't freeze me TWICE IN A ROW!
So I Full Restore, and hope it doesn't freeze me again... And it doesn't. :D

After I finish the battle, I realize that I forgot to grab the Ether, Max Ether and Elixer from my PC.

So I had to start my E4 Challenge again (Yes, they're that important).

This time, there were no problems.

Bruno:

First Attempt: Got my priorities mixed up, and had to try again.

Second Attempt: I'm glad I saved before him! I Swords Danced Three Times, then Earthquaked my way through EVERYTHING. Machamp was the only 2HKO, but he didn't do anything.

Agatha:

First Attempt: Easy. No abilities = Earthquake Rampage. Golbat was Immune, but I was easily able to dispose of it.

Second Attempt: I only did it twice because I didn't save before Lance by mistake. This time, Golbat HAZED LIKE CRAZY. Note to self: Do NOT try to boost attack in front of a Golbat.

Lance:

First Attempt: Gyarados killed me.

Second Attempt: YES! I BEAT GYARADOS! Ahem... This time, I Danced, Slashed, Kasai was KOed. Moltres and Fuoco allowed me to fully revive Kasai. Fuego used Leer twice, and somehow hadn't gotten hit by Hydro Pump yet. Used Take Down, then Fuego was KOed. Kasai Danced, then slashed for the KO.
After that it was easy.
Dragonair? Dance x2, then Earthquake.
Another Dragonair? Another Earthquake!
Aerodactyl? Flamethrower a few times, due to it's anti-Earthquake properties.
Dragonite? Slash FTW.

The really weird thing was that Hyper Beam would never do enough to be a threat. Dragonite's could have 2HKOed me, but Game Freak invented Hyper Potions as well.

Gary:

Sadly, was easier than Lance. All of his Pokemon were unable to do a thing, except Blastoise, which couldn't do enough to prevent me from 2HKOing it. Strangely, Gary sent out Blastoise last.

The Team:
Note: Pictures to be added soon!

[PokeCommunity.com] Ultimate Monotype Challenge
Kasai the Charizard -- Pre-E4: Lv. 51 -- Post-E4: Lv. 57

Slash
Flamethrower
Earthquake
Swords Dance

The only Pokemon that I really used. Why? Hint: Dance 3 Times, and try to not OHKO nearly everything with Earthquake.

Fuego the Arcanine -- Lv. 50

Bite
Flamethrower
Take Down
Leer

All I used Fuego for was Leering that Gyarados, really. And using Take Down on the same Gyarados.

Fuoco the Flareon -- Lv. 50

Toxic
Fire Spin
Sand Attack
Body Slam

Used for healing Kasai only.

Moltres -- Lv. 50

Swift
Fly
Fire Blast
Double Edge

Used for healing Kasai only. I don't think I could have won if I hadn't used both Fuoco and Moltres.

Next: To JOHTO!

I finished my run in Gold a while ago, but promised an actual update of Kanto, so here it goes:
(Note: I wrote this about two weeks after actually completing it, so not everything may be 100% accurate per se ¬.¬)
Anyways, here we go:
Methodically beat every Gym Leader with a single Pokémon or two:
VS Lt. Surge used Nidoking
Obtained Vermilion City Gym's Thunder Badge!
VS Erika used Victreebel (<-- I finally evolved him! ^_^!) and Crobat
Obtained Celadon City Gym's Rainbow Badge!
VS Janine solely with Nidoking to prove myself as a superior Ninja
Obtained Fuschia City Gym's Soul Badge!
VS Misty used Victreebel
Obtained Cerulean City Gym's Cascade Badge!

After which fights, I moved on to challenge my greatest threat (or so I thought), Sabrina!

VS Sabrina
Spoiler:

Disappointed by Sabrina's poor showing, I hurried to beat Blaine so I could fight Blue:
So I obtained the Radio Card in order to cross the Diglet Cave to reach Pewter City
VS Brock used Victreebel (again)
Obtained Pewter City Gym's Boulder Badge!
VS Blaine used mostly Nidoking, but had to switch to Haunter against Arcanine
Obtained Cinnabar Island Gym's Volcano Badge!

VS Blue
Spoiler:

After beating the Elite Four (see previous post), I finally came face to face with none other than the missing Red!

VS Red
Spoiler:

Final Team:

"image removed"
Nidoking | :L63 @ King's Rock
~ Ice Punch
~ Earthquake
~ Thunder Punch
~ Double Kick

"image removed"
Haunter | :L57 @ Focus Band
~ Hypnosis
~ Shadow Ball
~ Psychic
~ Curse

"image removed"
Crobat | :L56 @ Amulet Coin
~ Leech Life (xD)
~ Wing Attack
~ Bite
~ Confuse Ray

"image removed"
Victreebel | :L56 @ Poison Barb
~ Razor Leaf
~ Growth
~ Sludge Bomb
~ Sleep Powder

HM Slaves:

*bulbagarden.net image removed* Totodile | :L10 @ --- (Cut, Surf)
*bulbagarden.net image removed* Ho-oh | :L40 @ Sacred Ash (Strength, Fly, Flash)
BTW: I'll be taking a break from the challenge as of now, since I finally got HeartGold, but chances are that I'll be back as soon as I'm done with it! xD

update time

-did startintg things
-chose bulbasaur
-caught weedle

team

"image removed"lv.8
-tackle
-growl
-leech seed
he does pretty good so far he will help train "pest"

"image removed"lv.4
poisin sting
string shot

i have an idea for my teams

"image removed""image removed"*pokemonelite2000 image removed**pokemonelite2000 image removed*"image removed"*pokemonelite2000 image removed*
"image removed""image removed""image removed""image removed""image removed""image removed"
"image removed""image removed""image removed""image removed""image removed""image removed"
thats all so far

Last edited:
The End of Kanto .

This is gonna be a long update .

-1HKO Misty's entire team, without a single hit being done to Justin .
-Get on the SS. Anne and completely pwn my Rival Nick .
-Get HM01 Cut .
-Beat Surge, and get third badge .
-Go crazy in Rock Tunnel, and FINALLY get out of that damn cave .
-I beat Nick again in that Dead Pokemon Place Thingy .
-I beat Erika, OBVIOUSLY .
-Go through the Rocket's Headquarters and beat the poo outta Giovanni .
-Beat the Dojo, with just Justin . (I'm gonna beat Kanto with just him .)
-Beat everything in sight in the Dead Pokemon Place Thingy .
-Fifth Gym Leader was a joke, I KO everything with Flamethrower .
-Go through Silph. Co & go get my sixth badge .
-I'm just trying to get to Johto , honestly .
-Nothing really happens when I fight Blaine, because my Fire Type beats his , nuff said .
-Finally ! Last Gym Battle !
-I kick Giovanni's ass for the last time, yay !
-His Nidoqueen is the only one to give me trouble, but I prosper through !
- My Rival Nick is a joke at this point, due to the fact that I'm very over leveled .
-FINALLY ! My last fights in KANTOOOO !

- Agatha - I use Fly to take down her Pokemon because I don't wanna have Surf kill me .
- Bruno - Earthquake FTW ! Nuff' said .
- That Old Ghost Chick - Flamethrower wiped out her whole team .
- Dragon Guy - His Garados was a pain in the ass, I'll admit that , but I beat him after reviving Justin like 5 times D:<, the rest went down by the FURY OF MY DRAGON CLAW !
- Nick's Pidgeot went down with just one Fire Blast .
His Blastoise ALMOST KO'd Justin, but I used Full Restore & got lucky with a Fly Attack Crit.
The Exucutor or whatever went down with a Fire Blast .
His Alakazam used Psychic, but missed ;D
And yeah.... Pwned .
Bye Kanto !
Helloooo Johto .

Can you add me to the CLANG! steel type challenge?

P.S For HG

Last edited:
Sign me up for a Water Type Mono Challenge ! ;D

Fire Red , Gold , Emerald , Platinum .

So , I started Fire Red , and I chose A Squirtle , :

I worked on over leveling him considering I'll just be him for a while .

Got to Brock's Gym and 1HKO'd His whole team .

So I victoriously walked out with the boulder badge .

On forth to Misty's Gym .

So right before I entered the cave I went into the pokecenter and bought an overly expensed Magikarp .

My Party of two has now entered the cave .

→Squirtle Evolves←

Finally made it out of that cave .

Reached Misty's Gym .

Wartortle learned bite .

So instead of using not so effective water type I used this .

Obtained the Water Badge . (:

Onwards !

My Rival ,

This battle was intense

His bulbasaur kept using vine whip while I was asleep so every time I hit red I used one of the many super potions I bought .

Past the bridge .

Talked to "Clefairy"(Bill) after beating oh so many trainers .

Bill gives me the S.S. Ticket .

I get on the boat beating everybody of the first floor I skip to my Rival whom was relatively easy .

Obtained HM01(Cut)

Caught an Oddish who's main purpose is to use cut so I hope i'm not breaking any rules .

and now , I'm stuck on the electric gym leader ,

because I have water pokemon only .

My Magikarp learned Tackle but is still weak ,

I think I'm just going to over level him some more .

Last edited:
Vobgro, Steel is one of the two verboten types because it wasn't present in Gen.I at all.

Also, you need to do all the generations in order for this thread, not just one game.

I'll do a bug challenge but only if i can find my gameboy so that I can play Red And Silver because I am going on holidays tommorow( it is holidyas where i live). Hopefully I will find it tonight otherwise I might Have to stop doing the challenge.

Edit: Found my gameboy under a pile of clothes and had to put new batteries in. I tried red to see if it worked. It did. My dad might not let me bring my gameboy though as my friends are gonna be there too so I might only be aloud a DS.

Last edited:
Vobgro, Steel is one of the two verboten types because it wasn't present in Gen.I at all.

Also, you need to do all the generations in order for this thread, not just one game.
Actually on the first page it says different, there must have been a change of the rules, I just saw it yesterday. Steel is now apparently allowed. Same goes for Dark. I'll have to try one of them out when I finish Dragon.

So

Is there any mono type challenge for HG/SS thread on PC?

Are you doing it for the recognition or the fun?

I would scan the Second Gen Subforum, I know there's a GSC-specific monotype thread. If they let you piggyback on there with HGSS, go with that.

For the recognition of course, 5h/day is minimum :D
Maybe that doesn't explain why I haven't played for weeks, but whatever.

Nah, actually it's more like this: The first time I just wanted to try it out, but I made the great mistake to rush the whole thing, so it was over pretty soon. So I played another one, which I rushed again. Pretty stupid move, but I had just too much free time at that time. Then, for some reason, probably because I had nothing else to do, I started a third one, which took me way longer, and was probably the only one that could be considered normal. The dragon thing was just some novelty side project I tried for some disobeyance fun. And the plans about another one (I know that's exaggerated, but until then, there will certainly pass some time, currently I'm playing completely different stuff) are just there because something like Dark looks like a real challenge, since it isn't easy to get a variety of Pokemon with that type (especially the Eevee-only-thing in RBY would be interesting, I'm not even sure if that thing has a way to beat ghosts...), so that would certainly be interesting.
All hail this boring as hell and almost completely senseless text that probably contains a lot of typos!

...first-gen Eevee solo run? There's no way it can overcome Agatha. The movepool is too restricted elementally. You'd need to do it in FR/LG to pull it off.

EDIT: Just re-read the first page's rules list again.

Due to their non-existance in the first generation, Dark- and Steel-Types are also discouraged from being used. If you still want to use one of these types, you can start your challenge with the second generation games, also ignoring the third rule and trading one of said-type into your game at the earliest point that you can do so.

I guess I stand corrected. Go ahead, Vobgro! I can breed you a Pineco if that'll help!

Last edited:
(More information on what I'm doing)

Well I ran around for about 30 minutes trying to level both my Magikarp & my Wartortle .

and I decided to VS the gym leader once again , I choose Magikarp defaultly switched to Wartortle and survived the first electric attack .

Then I one hit his entire team .

I obtained a bike and flash by capturing (or previously owned) 10 pokemon .

Now i'm in rock tunnel (I think) and I gave flash to oddish and used it and found a trainer and evolved my Wartortle in to a Blastoise :D

OK, so I actually never really played using my NORMAL type challenge, I've decided to quit that one and start one FINAL time with BUG!

Huzzah!!! Completed the 3rd Gen after having to restart it cause my Comp died due to a blackout(Playing on Emulator)

Team:

Swampert lv 56
Ice Beam
Surf
Earthquake
Mud shot

Flygon lv 46
Bite
Crunch
Dragonbreath
Sand tomb

Donphan lv 30