• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ultimate Monotype Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Myzou

Lost and Confused xD
Years
  • K :)

Just wanted to make sure it'd be ok to use Eevee, as Umbreon isn't available in those games, XD But as Magnemite is useable in Steel, I'd hope Eevee would be usable, so long as Eevee was evolved during the game, XD

WriteThemWrong

LetMeHearYourPokemon's___ Voice
    Years
  • haven't updated in a while so a huge one:

-left off with mareep
    -beat team rocket in slowpoke well
    -beat bugsy at azalea and my rival
    -beat whitney
    -my mareep evolved into a flaffy
    -got an eevee in ecruteak and trained him for awhile before evolving to jolteon
    -beat morty
    -caught magnemite and chinchou
    -beat olivia
    -get ready to get my surf on

jespoke

Still do monotype challenges once in a blue moon
    Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2020
    haven't updated in a while so a huge one:

-left off with mareep
    -beat team rocket in slowpoke well
    -beat bugsy at azalea and my rival
    -beat whitney
    -my mareep evolved into a flaffy
    -got an eevee in ecruteak and trained him for awhile before evolving to jolteon
    -beat morty
    -caught magnemite and chinchou
    -beat olivia
    -get ready to get my surf on

How did you do that? Its normally impossible to get stones in johto (except Moon and Sun)

EDIT: i checked bulbapedia and found the ways of obtaining stones in HG/SS. Sorry.

Last edited:
    Years
  • You can start a Steel Challenge in Blue with Magnemite, but you don't have to. For Steel and Dark only, you can start in Johto.
    Ok. That would make it easier.. thanks!
    probably still gonna do the first gen though. It's more fun that way :D

And i'm gonna slow down a bit.. hope i can get a fourth gen game before i finish this one.. unless i can find a good emulator that works on my computer and doesn't go at the pace of a snail..

Last edited:

pleryt16

ERMAHGERD ITS A VAPOREON
    Years
    • Seen Feb 19, 2013
    Actually, I'd like to go with fighting. Can you switch me? Gonna start on Yellow

Years
  • Update #3
    -Went to the town where you get the Dig TM
    -Went to the meteor falls
    -Went to Mt. Chimmey
    -Beat Team Magma off the mountain
    -Beat Flannery
    -Marshtomp evolved after the battle
    -Trained in the Desert
    -Got bored so I headed back to Petalburg to battle Norman
    -Beat Norman in an annoying battle
    -Wally's father (?) gave me HM03
    -Got a Good Rod
    -Went back to Petalburg to fish for a Corphish
    -Caught one at level 23
    -Bought TM30 and taught to Corphish. It ended up being DARK, which is AWESOME
    -Headed to the weather institute, Corphish evolved along the way
    -Beat the Team Aqua people. Got a Castform for my trouble, which is holding Mystic Water, a rather useful item
    -Beat May
    -Made it to Fortree
    -Got the Devon Scope from Steven, failed to catch Kecleon
    -Beat Winona
    -Caught a Marill for HM's 07 and 08
    -That's all for the night. I wont get to update again until at least Monday, going away to Ottawa to see my brother for Canada Day

Current Team:
    Spr_3e_260.gif

Swampert (lvl 40)
    -Secret Power
    -Facade
    -Dig
    -Surf
    Spr_3e_279.gif

Pelipper (lvl 41)
    -Surf
    -Ice Beam
    -Shock Wave
    -Fly
    Spr_3e_342.gif

Crawdaunt (lvl 40)
    -Strength
    -Hidden Power (Dark)
    -Crab Hammer
    -Protect

HM Slaves
    Zigzagoon: Cut, Rock Smash
    Abra: Flash
    Marill

pokemonlover493

Trainer
    Years
  • I would like to do a Pokemon Sapphire(Hoenn), Grass Type Monotype Challenge. Can you add me to the list, please?
    Can I still complete my pokedex if I want to? If I keep grass types in my party, I can put the other Pokemon in my box.

Last edited:

Charmageddon

Charizard has evolved into ^
    Years
    • Seen Apr 25, 2016
    This is the Ultimate Monotype Challenge. You have to do all the generations.

myrrhman

Challenge God
    Years
  • Freaking Skuntank. It took me 7 tries to get around his stupid Night Slash. I would use Minimize x6 against Zubat, and then Skuntank would hit me on the first attack. Oh well. I finally beat him. Took care of the Bike Path, and on the final battle before Mt. Coronet, Drifloon evolved!!! Yay! I entered the Hearthome City Gym, and took out all the trainers, giving Gastly as much Exp as I could. Unfortunately, he was too weak to kill anything, so Drifblim had to finish them off. Fantina was nothing special, although Gastly managed to kill Duskull with some nice luck with Paralysis (and shadow sneak not OHKOing me). Mismagius hit Drifblim with a Shadow Ball, who returned it with Payback, OHKOing Mismagius. Haunter didn't do any better.

Team: Drifblim (Lv. 31), Gastly (Lv. 21)

I would like to do a Pokemon Sapphire(Hoenn), Grass Type Monotype Challenge. Can you add me to the list, please?
    Can I still complete my pokedex if I want to? If I keep grass types in my party, I can put the other Pokemon in my box.
    There's another thread for Sapphire Monotype. It's hosted by RSE Monotype Challenge (or something like that). There's also one for completing your pokedex. It's called Catch 'em All contest.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Alright, sign me up for this. I've always wanted to do Monotype, and this sounds like the perfect opportunity.
    Games of Choice:
    FireRed, SoulSilver, Emerald and Platinum. (The most hardcore of all solutions :P)
    Type of choice:
    I'm gonna have to go for... Ice!
    There may not be too many of these in the first couple of generations, but I believe I'm gonna do well. I'll start with FireRed on Friday, after I'm done with my Random Pokemon challenge.

pleryt16

ERMAHGERD ITS A VAPOREON
    Years
    • Seen Feb 19, 2013
    I'm gonna have to drop out of this, going to be away for a month...

myrrhman

Challenge God
    Years
  • New progress!
    I found Maylene and completely destroyed her with my Ghost team. I could have probably one hit the gym (except for Lucario) with Drifblim, but I wanted to train up Gastly. He evolved, and got lots of exp as a Haunter (getting up to level 29), and I gladly accepted my Cobble Badge. Then I beat up Team Galactic with Dawn's "help" (all she did was use Gravity on Haunter and one Zubat, and then later use Rage from metronome) and got Fly for Drifblim.

Team: Haunter (Lv. 29), Drifblim (Lv. 35)

jespoke

Still do monotype challenges once in a blue moon
    Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2020
    Bug Kanto part done!

First in short:
    - beat 8. gym
    - beat Mankey (my rival)
    - beat victory road
    - beat lorely (cant remember how)
    - beat bruno (-||-)
    - beat agatha (-||-)
    - beat lance (-||-)
    Last in long:
    - Mankey was hard. I beat Pidgeot with 2 Rock Slide´s, while it used sand attack. For Rhydon i switched to Drainer who Put it to sleep with Spore, an then 2HKOéd it with Giga Drain. I had a special strategi for his fast Arcanine(With included a lot of Revives). Only Stinger was fast enought to hit it... with Toxic. Then i kept using Stinger and Drainer, reviving the other on every turn until the poison got him to red, where i set in Pincher to use Earthquake on the turn he used his Full Restore, and OHKOéd it. Alakasam came next. I put in Winger who scored a Sleep Powder on it after taking a Psychic, and then i went healing my team until i woke up and... Started using Future sight giving me time to finish with a new Sleep Powder. Next i send in Stinger who revives Winger and then beats Alakasam with a CH Twineedle. Next was Venusaur, Who i used Winger put to sleep and beat with 3 Psychic´s. Gyrados was Easy through, just 2 Rock Slide´s from Pincher and a Slash from Drainer. Champion!!!

Spr_b_g4_015.png
    Stinger/Beedrill Lv. 53: Brick Break, Double Team, Twineedle, Toxic
    Spr_b_g4_012_m.png
    Winger/Butterfree Lv. 53: Psychic, Aerial Ace, Dream Eater, Sleep Powder
    Spr_b_g4_047.png
    Drainer/Parasect Lv. 52: Dig, Giga Drain, Spore, Slash
    Spr_b_g4_127.png
    Pincher/Pinsir Lv. 54: Earthquake, Brick Break, Swords Dance, Rock Slide

Last edited:
    Years
  • I'd like to take the challenge =D

Name: Vexus
    Game: Red (Kanto) On an Emulator since my Gb decided to die on me....
    Type: Water :) (<3 :D)

-----------------
    Chapter 1: Prologue

Started the game, Named myself Vexus, and named my Rival Sora.

Went to the tall grass after my mother ranted about one of her shows on TV, but was rudely interrupted by Professor Oak.

He took me to his lab and made me choose a Pokemon, before his grandson, who may I add he forgot his name :P

Chose a Squirtle and named him Bubbles =D, and was challenged by Sora who took out a Bulbasaur

After a Duel of Growling and Tail Whipping i won with two tackles :P

Grinded till level 10 and headed to Viridian, where I healed my Pokemon and went over to the Poke mart, Where the seller made me deliver a Package to professor Oak.

After Playing Postman, the Oakster gave me a Pokedex and made me live out his life dream of Finding all 150 Pokemon, But little does he know that there are now 493 Pokemon (with more on the way) and that this is a Mono challenge and after the Elite Four he'll never see me again.

Now Heading to Viridian Forest.......

-------------
    Chapter 2: Viridian Forest!?!

Started my journey through this enchanting forest. NAAAT. Ran around killing random Bug Pokémon then decided to switch to the trainers of the forest. The first one went down easy, but then came the second trainer. Who I managed to defeat but got poisoned at the very end. And without any antidotes, Bubbles soon died of poison. After blacking out and healing up. I Headed back into this forest, and creamed the last trainer where I emerged to the route where I grinded a bit till I Reached Level 13. Now it's time to defeat Brock and get my first Badge, from the Kanto Region!

------------
    Chapter 3: Gym Battle 1! Vexus' Debut!

I entered the gym and was challenged by a Junior Trainer (Male) who sent out a Diglett. I naturally sent out Bubbles. Having a speed advantage Diglett managed to land a scratch, then I used bubble which brought him down to half and the process was repeated once more and Diglett fainted. Bubbles reached level 14. Then the trainer sent out Sandshrew, which was surprisingly slow, and Bubbles managed to land a Bubble first which brought it down to Half. The pesky Sandshrew used a sand-attack which lowered my accuracy, next round I re used bubble but missed! And the Sandshrew used sand attack again. This happened 2 more times, until finally Bubbles managed to hit and Sandshrew went down!
    Then I challenged Brock, after he boasted a little about his Pokémon -.-. He sent out a Geodude and I sent out Bubbles. I bubbled him which nearly brought him down but he managed to survive with little Hp, and used tackle on me. I used bubble again which took him down this time, and Bubbles leveled to 15! And learnt Water Gun!! He then sent out Onix which crumbled in one shot with my newly acquired Water Gun. And I was awarded the Boulder Badge!!

Team:

Bubbles (Squirtle)
    :t007:

Att:24
    Def:26
    Speed:23
    Special:22

Moves: Tackle, Tail Whip, Bubble, Water Gun

Now it's time to Scale Mt.Moon!.....

------------

Chapter 4: The Great Rocket Plunder and the secrets of Mt. Moon!

On my way to Mt. Moon I met several Trainers, and Bubbles evolved! It is now a manly Wartortle! I went into the Pokémon center, where this shady fat guy gave me a deal I couldn't refuse! I mean who wouldn't buy a Pokémon for 500$?? But it turned out to be a Magikarp! Which I reluctantly named Nessy. I decided to grind it a bit before entering Mt. Moon
    I grinded until Nessy reached Level 10…and on the way Wartortle reached level 20!. So I entered Mt.Moon….
    While destroying all the trainers in the way, I was suddenly ambushed by some guy in a black suit! He had a Sandshrew, a Rattata and a Zubat, which fell instantly to my water guns. He also mentioned "associates", but I didn't quite understand him. So I kept on going. But after a while I met another one, who after being defeated, rudely ordered me to give him a fossil if I were to find one and scram! Humph! But as I ventured deeper into Mt. Moon, I noticed that these guys, were occurring more and more often, so I decided to be careful.
    But to my surprise I met this "Super nerd" which I demolished, and he was nice enough to offer me one of his fossils. So as the gentle man that I am, I took a Dome fossil. Then I was out of Mt. Moon and made my way to Cerulean City!

------------

Chapter 5: Bridges, Gyms and Gyarados!

As I entered Cerulean City, to my displeasure, I came across Sora, and his rag tag team of Pokémon. But of course, he couldn't withstand, Bubbles' might and came crashing down! I ventured a little out of Cerulean city to the Nugget bridge. I took the challenge, and the prize giver turned out to be a stinking Rocket! I brought him down, after he quite generously gave me a nugget ;). I kept on training until I reached a house in the middle of nowhere. It was full of mechanical stuff: Computers, cogs, machinery, you name it! And the only soul in this house was a cute Clefairy! But this was no ordinary Clefairy, it asked me to press a button when it said to, curious I agreed. When it came out of the machine it was in, a young man, named Bill came out, and awarded me with a ticket on the luxury boat…the S.S Anne. After this escapade I continued grinding with Nessy….until….She evolved into a Gyarados! And with a Level 20 Nessy and a Level 26 Bubbles, I entered the Cerulean Gym!
    A few paces into the gym, I was challenged by a Male swimmer, who sent out a Horsea, I sent out my Nessy and used Bite, which was critical and fainted the poor Horsea! He brought out Shellder, which was bitten by Nessy and was a critical hit again!! And it fainted. Then I headed towards the next trainer, who sent out a Goldeen! I sent out Nessy and Bit the Goldeen, and then it used Supersonic! And Nessy was confused! But this didn't affect Nessy and the next bite fainted the Goldeen!
    Then I challenged the gym Leader Misty! She sent out her Staryu, and I sent out my star Nessy! (Bad Pun?) she bit it and the Staryu fainted! Next Misty sent out Starmie, which was bound to be a challenge! She used an X Defend, which made my bite only do 1/5 damage to her Starmie. She used tackle next which barely did anything, and I kept on using Bite. This happened 4 more times and the Starmie fainted! Then Misty awarded me with the Cascade badge, and a TM.
    My team:
    Bubbles (Wartortle)
    :t008:
    Level 26
    Attack 49, Defense 52, Speed 46, Special 44
    Tackle, Bite, Bubble, Water Gun

Nessy (Gyarados)
    :t130:
    Level 21
    Attack 66, Defense 47, Speed 45, Special 52
    Splash, Tackle, Bite

Last edited:
    Years
  • Since there are barely any NO Ice Types early in the game, I had to hack to get them... But that means I'll only be using those. :/

Ice Monotype - Session I - Fire Red
    Soo, I started my game. I chose Squirtle, defeated Gary's Bulbasaur. Then, I delivered the Parcel and got a Pokedex.
    Then, in the wild, I encountered a beautiful Seel. I named her Danielle. She is my first actual Pokemon. Then, I also encountered a lonely little Shelder in the route before the league. I named him Clang. Danielle and Clang had some decent training, and then Clang learned Icicle Spear. Then, I was ready to take on Brock. But not before I defeat Gary's team... And that was done easily. Then, I moved on to Pewter, and defeated Brock without too many problems. I won the first badge!
    Moving on to Mt. Moon, I bought a Magikarp and boxed it, for Dex Entries. After passing Mt. Moon, I defeated Gary again. This time Danielle and Clang were ready enough to take Misty on. Well, that didn't work out as planned... But with a bunch of Potions, I defeated her Starmie, and won my second badge! But more importantly, TM03 Water Pulse, which I gave to Danielle.
    After some more training, I stumbled upon a Jynx. My third team member. I named her Janet. Done some more training, and saved right before getting in SS Anne and called it a day.
    The only team member left for me to get is Lapras, but that won't happen until I get my 6th badge...

Party
    Danielle - Seel - Lv26 - F
    Clang - Shellder - Lv22 - M
    Janet - Jynx - Lv16 - F

Years
    • Seen Jul 17, 2010
    Haven't updated in a while due to school, but I decided to use Pokemon Gold instead of Heartgold because I didn't want to restart my current Heartgold game and I only started playing pokemon in Gen III so this is new for me.

-Named myself Winter although I'm a guy
    -Picked up Totodile, named him Anapos
    -Got a togepi egg for Prof. Elm from Mr Pokemon, found out some red haired dude named Matt stole his Chikorita
    -Went to Violet City. The Sprout Tower was full of Bellsprouts that wanted to steal me soul and a few random Hoothoots
    -Defeated Falkner.
    -Went through Union Cave after that
    -Met Team Rocket, thrashed them
    -Defeated Bugsy after 3 attempts
    -Went through Ilex Forest to Goldenrod
    -Got a Radio Card
    -Defeated Whitney after 5 tries thanks to freeze hax from Ice Punch that I bought from the store
    -Went to Ecruteak City after watering a Sudowoodo
    -Defeated the Kimono girls (they are so much harder in Heartgold) and got HM03 Surf, which will be taught to all my pokemon regardless of whether they're special attackers or not
    -Released the 3 running beasts
    -Defeated Morty with ease
    -Went to Olivine to get a Good Rod
    -Since it was Friday, I went back to Union Cave to catch a Quagsire named Eurydia and a Lapras named Eidothea
    -Went back to Olivine and caught a Staryu named Leucothea
    -Now for an epic grindfest

Current Team:

Anapos the Feraligatr
    Level 36
    -Surf
    -Bite
    -Ice Punch
    -Water Gun

Eurydia the Quagsire
    Level 26
    -Slam