• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ultimate Monotype Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen Dec 18, 2011
    Ahh, Parasect, AKA "The only Leech-Lifer that can take a hit from a Psychic attack"...

Yup, Parasect is my trump card against Sabrina.

Erika is proving more difficult than expected, darn wrap and bind attacks.

Update: Spent hours upon hours playing the slots, sold all my TM's, traded off all the money I'd been saving and sold my nuggets. But worth it to see Scyther added to my party :D.

Edit: Second time round Erika was piece of cake, just had to wipe out victreebel quickly with Confusion.

Who should I teach Mega Drain to? :P

Last edited:

raekuul

Team Anorith Grunt
    Years
    • Seen Jan 13, 2017
    Hmm... Parasect gets STAB, but Butterfree has a higher Special...

I would wait until after dealing with Koga to decide who gets that one.

mattman324

Run to the hills, run for your lives!
    Years
  • Forgot to get town map. getting one and returning to mt. moon.

@Greeny: Red. It just rules.

...did you just say you were getting the Town Map in Red? Well then, a word or two of advice.

DON'T DO IT DON'T DO IT DON'T DO IT!

When you get fly, there is a free Town map, that DOESN'T take the vital bag space of a town map! It is a useless item!

Medli

I am Error.
    Years
    • Seen Mar 28, 2010
    Sign me up for a Fire Monotype Run. I'm going in. Fire types have always been special to me because my first ever Pokemon was a Cyndaquil in Silver. Can't wait to do those games.

Starting off with Pokemon Blue. Maybe I can do some Fire Spin cheating with a Ninetales.

---

Fire Monotype Challenge: Part One - The Adventure Begins

Trainer Name: Seb (yes, I'm a girl. Yes, my Trainer is a guy. Yes, I'll stay gender and name consistent throughout this challenge.)
    Badges: 0
    Generation: I (on Blue)

Log (future ones will be more relevant and less random/annoying than this first one):
    > I never knew Jigglypuff was in the opening sequence.
    > Good evening! My name is Seb!
    > I believe your grandson is named Holden (random book reference. Anyone know it?)
    > Classic character shrinking scene. I love it.
    > It's dangerous to go alone! Take th-
    > Charmander get. Since genders aren't around in this game, and I always give nicknames that are actual human names, I'm picking genders. Haha. I'm naming him Ringo.
    > Squirtle spammed Tail Whip. Victory get.
    > Parcel ge- acquired. Parcel delivered. Town Map acquired.
    > Murdered some Pidgeys. Ringo learned Ember. Murdered more Pidgeys. All in all, t'was a pretty good day.

Team
    :
    rbspr004.png

Ringo (Level 10)
    - Ember
    - Scratch
    - Growl

Hacky

Who knows who <- is?
    Years
    • Seen Dec 5, 2011
    Yes! Past mt. Moon and "the point of no return". Next: healing & beating misty

Team:
    Charmeleon lv 26

atk 48
    def 46
    spd 57
    sp 46

Ember
    Scratch
    Rage
    Leer

Last edited:

slls81

What does that even mean?
    Years
  • Played a bit more since I last posted.

-My second egg hatched into a shiny Igglybuff... shame i can't use it :/
    -Made my way up to Ecruteak City, and beat a few people on the way.
    -Beat the kimono girls and got Surf.
    -Went to see some legendary dogs/cats and on the way beat Silver.
    -Beat Morty, mostly thanks to Golbat's bite attack.
    -Made my way down to Olivine City and saved.

Team at save:

Togepi (F)
    Level 23
    -Headbutt
    -Sweet Kiss
    -Metronome
    -Attract

Scyther (F)
    Level 24
    -Quick Attack
    -Pursuit
    -Focus Energy
    -Leer

Golbat (M)
    Level 26
    -Bite
    -Confuse Ray
    -Leech Life
    -Supersonic

Noctowl (F)
    Level 26
    -Peck
    -Tackle
    -Reflect
    -Hypnosis

other pokemon: Totodile Lvl8, Igglybuff Lvl 5

Hacky

Who knows who <- is?
    Years
    • Seen Dec 5, 2011
    ...did you just say you were getting the Town Map in Red? Well then, a word or two of advice.

DON'T DO IT DON'T DO IT DON'T DO IT!

When you get fly, there is a free Town map, that DOESN'T take the vital bag space of a town map! It is a useless item!

I can always deposit it. No need for panic.

Another thing, Can I at least trade my charizard to yellow to teach it fly? Isn't it kinda like trade-to-evolve?

Fire Wolf

it's as humid as a sauna, boy!
    Years
  • Where can I find a Buizel?? I tried to search on Valley Windworks and Route 205, but it doesn't come, only Shellos does. Maybe I'll catch one later en route to Pastoria.
    I've reached Eterna, with Pluck lets see how tough is Gardenia...

Years
  • Strange, both on the route and before the Valley Windworks, Buizel is common, and this at all times, at least that's what Bulbapedia says. Maybe you just had bad luck...

Last edited:

Fire Wolf

it's as humid as a sauna, boy!
    Years
  • Yes, I read Bulbapedia, I had bad luck, but Bulbapedia says that Buizel is 45% on the way to Pastoria, so I'll catch one there

Years
    • Seen Dec 18, 2011
    Update on my journey in Kanto.

Caught Venonat, the last available bug in the game.
    Got thrashed by that guy in Fuschia gym with the Hypno.
    Beat Koga, though his Weezings self-destruct stopped my Venonat getting the exp v.v
    Got Surf and Strength HMs
    Evolved Venonat into Venomoth
    Went into Rocket controlled Silph Co.
    Obtained Card Key
    Got thrashed by Gary's Pidgeot
    Got lost, and gave up until next time.

Current team:

Scyther, lv34
    Quick Attack
    Leer
    Focus Energy
    Slash

Butterfree, lvl 31
    Tackle
    Sleep Powder
    Confusion
    Supersonic

Beedrill, lvl 31
    Skull Bash
    Twinneedle
    Fury Attack
    Pin Missile

Venomoth, lv32
    Tackle
    Disable
    Poison Powder
    Leech Life

Parasect, lv32
    Leech Life
    Stun Spore
    Dig
    Cut

Alakazam17

[b]Long time no see![/b]
    Years
  • Okay, the first post is now updated with the new peoples! :D

I had meant to revise bi-weekly, but school has been getting in the way. :/

But i have an idea: I might train my Mudkip (or would that be against the rules), evolve it into Marshtomb, teach it Mud Shot and breed that on Surskit (i just found out Surskit it not only in the Bug Egg group - and that eggs from it and the Nincada have Flash, which i don't really want on Surskit.)

So would the Mud Shot Surskit be illegal in a mono bug, or might i use it?
    That is perfectly legal, as long as you don't use the Marshtomp in Gym Battles. ^^

Hi, I'm quite interested and I was wondering: say if I wanted to do it as a ghost trainer, instead of traipsing around (Fire)Red until I find a ghost, could I change the starter to a Ghastly by modding the game? It would be the only change I make, I promise! I just don't see the point of waiting so long :s
    You could also just trade a Gastly into your game from the beginning.

Congrats for finishing, Blues, i'm maybe a bit late, but i really didn't read that before today.
    And I noticed today, xD. Congrats, Blues003, for completeing the Bug UMC! And also to Charmageddon, the first one to finish the Water version! :D

OK. My GBA-is pee is lost, so I'll just emulate here with... Fire! Is the userbar just for the guys who beat the challenge or is it enough to just participate?
    Anyone can use it. ;)

Years
    • Seen Dec 18, 2011
    Ok quick question, can we use each type of pokemon only once, or is it possible to have 2 Scythers, for example?

Alakazam17

[b]Long time no see![/b]
    Years
  • Yeah, that's fine. Several of the Ghost challengees used more than one Gastly in the 1st Gen, for instance. So go ahead. ^^

Years
    • Seen Sep 25, 2013
    So, I've made it to my least favorite part of the game. See extreme ranting below.

-Made it back to Saffron City, but forgot to get Strength in Fuschia. (Did get the Gold Teeth however. I have to go back anyways to get to Cinnabar. XD)
    -Taught Sunniside Psychic and Double Edge.
    -Defeated the Fighting Dojo and got myself a Hitmonlee and put it in the box.

-After entering Silph Co. and roaming around for a while, whilst cussing out the game, I finally made it to where Mik (my rival) was! Time for another big fight! Sunniside (very underleveled) took out an over-leveled Pidgeot to begin with. From there it was Exeggcute VS. Exeggcute. Sadly, his Exeggcute won. I sent out Brink to take care of the eggs and it worked quite well! Gyarados also fell quickly to Brink's Razor Leaf. For Alakazam, I switched Price in for a little Leech Life action. Way too easy. It was then time for the hardest fight of the match. Charizard. The big galoot took out Parasect, making me switch Brink back in. Unfortunately, he got a lucky shot (after being poisoned) and took Brink out as well. It was then for my secret weapon. Belle and its mighty Wrap attack, giving me the win! I obtained Lapras, and decided when I finished Giovanni, I would put it in the box. I quickly used some revives and super potions to bring Sunniside, Brink, and Price back to life before moving on to the boss.

-Fought the last Grunt before moving on to Giovanni. Sunniside easily took care of Nidorino, but Kangaskhan got lucky and KO'd it. Price avenged its fallen comrade quite quickly. Rhyhorn was a pushover with Spore/Slash combo. Nidoqueen got two critical hits in a row! Seriously?! This knocked Price out, sadly. Luckilly, all Brink had to do was Tackle and Nidoqueen fell to her knees.

-Now that Saffron was back to its usual state, it was time to face... the Saffron Gym and Sabrina! After healing, of course, and putting Lapras in the box.

-After beating all of the trainers, it was time to fight Sabrina! Sunniside...beat Kadabra...with Struggle...*facepalm* I switched Sunniside for Price, whom easily took care of the rest of Sabrina's team! Piece of cake!

-Returned to Fuschia City, got Strength, and then traversed to Celadon City to get Fly and to catch a Pidgey. After doing so, I flew to Pallet Town and traversed to Viridian City to drop off Pidgey. Returned to Pallet Town and began surfing for Cinnabar Island. Caught the final pokemon for my team: Tangela (and since I love Tangela's name, I didn't nickname it.), and taught it Toxic and Mega Drain. But I saw the WEIRDEST thing almost as I landed on the Island. I was just one "step" from getting off of Surf and onto the Island and I saw a wild RATICATE! O_o Raticate! Really?! On that note, I decided to quit for the day. XD

Current team.

Tangela the... Tangela XD
    Level 30
    -Mega Drain
    -Bind
    -Absorb
    -Toxic

Sunniside the Exeggcute
    Level 35
    -Barrage
    -Hypnosis
    -Psychic
    -Double Edge

Brink the Venusaur
    Level 43
    -Tackle
    -Poisonpowder
    -Razor Leaf
    -Vine Whip

Price the Parasect
    Level 44
    -Slash
    -Stun Spore
    -Leech Life
    -Spore

Belle the Weepinbell
    Level 44
    -Razor Leaf
    -Sleep Powder
    -Wrap
    -Acid

Rofl the HM Slave Krabby
    Level 15
    -Bubble
    -Cut
    -Surf
    -Strength

Years
    • Seen Dec 18, 2011
    Ok, update:

Beat Gary in Silph Co. (Scyther carried me through the whole battle).
    Thrashed Sabrina with no effort.
    Caught another Scyther to fill the gap in my gym leader battles ^^.
    Thrashed Blaine a LOT easier than expected. For some reason he kept using Super Potions every time he switched pokemon...just made using Dig easier.

On the road to Viridian City now.

Should have pokemon red wrapped up by the weekend. Gold/Silver will be hard, cant remember Johto that well. Any advice which game is better to play for a bug mono-type?

Alakazam17

[b]Long time no see![/b]
    Years
  • Ok, update:

Beat Gary in Silph Co. (Scyther carried me through the whole battle).
    Thrashed Sabrina with no effort.
    Caught another Scyther to fill the gap in my gym leader battles ^^.
    Thrashed Blaine a LOT easier than expected. For some reason he kept using Super Potions every time he switched pokemon...just made using Dig easier.

On the road to Viridian City now.

Should have pokemon red wrapped up by the weekend. Gold/Silver will be hard, cant remember Johto that well. Any advice which game is better to play for a bug mono-type?
    I suppose Silver would be better, as you can only catch Ledyba there. Ledyba & Ledian can be quite useful on Bug teams, thanks to their elemental punches. =D

Years
    • Seen Dec 18, 2011
    Sorry for all the questions, but I have another one. (And thanks for the game advice).

If I wanna evolve a pokemon via trading w/ item, do I need to have that item on the mono-type game before I can, or is it ok to use an item from the game traded with?

Years
    • Seen Dec 18, 2011
    Ahh, can't wait to get Scizor(s) on Silver.

But my rival is seriously giving me a thrashing on the way to Victory Road.

I'm doomed when it comes to the Champion battle.

But loving this ultimate monotype challenge, really making the games as exciting as when I first got pokemon blue all those years ago. ^^

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back