• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Umbreon or Espeon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alaskan Husky

lux aeterna
    Years
    • Seen Aug 21, 2013
    Espeon. Calm Mind, Psychic, Shadow Ball, Grass Knot are all good moves... it can really hit hard and fast. Though granted, it's not the best Pokemon for taking hits. However, I've never really liked Umbreon as a Pokemon, and Espeon is my favorite, so I'm probably biased, lol.

Umbreon is good in its own right; it has an array of supporting moves like Curse, Yawn, Baton Pass, and Tickle. Not that Espeon doesn't have those moves too, but consider this: Umbreon's defenses of like 95/110/130 are far superior to Espeon's 65/60/95 defenses, and while Espeon can use these moves a lot faster, Umbreon can use them to better effect, since it's a lot more defensive than Espeon.

Regardless, Espeon's power needn't be underestimated... plus, it's fast, powerful, and Psychic STAB isn't too bad in-game, if I remember correctly. And for those Pokemon that resist Psychic, there's Shadow Ball. Though that only hits Ghost- and Psychic-types... regardless, there are five other team slots that can handle the types that Espeon fails to hit super-effective.

In the end, it all boils down to whether you want offense or defense for the team. If you want offense, pick Espeon, if you want defense, use Umbreon. (:

shinyabsol1

Pokemon DarkJasper!?
    Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2022
    Umbreon is a lot cooler in my opinion...but Espeon is way more powerful and useful.

I would go with Espeon for this reason.

solarowl

I'll always be an Outsider.
    Years
    i like using both but i think espeon is stronger as it can learn better moves but i like umbreon as a wall for a team. ive never tried him in one of my actual teams tho...... so basically espeon for your offensive needs and Umbreon if u have good offense but lack defense

Years
    • Seen Nov 22, 2010
    Knowing your team helps...but if you need a wall, Umbreon is great. Especially if you ever need a Pokemon to take both special and physical hits (baring bug and fighting type attacks) while you use items in the middle of a battle to revive/heal your other battlers.

If you need a wall (I like to have at least one even in game for those emergency situations), go for Umbreon. If you just need another attacker, go with Espeon. Base 110 speed is pretty hard to beat (only some 15 or so pokemon seen on trainers beats it), and base 130 special attack is beastly.

Clefairies

I'm always chasing rainbows.
    Years
    • Seen Aug 12, 2016
    I think I personally prefer Espeon, due to its offensive capabilities.

Assault

Exotic Water Pokemon Hunter
    Years
    Although I like Umbreon a lot better than Espeon, Espeon would be your better choice if you're interested in it's movepool.

Aurafire

provider of cake
    Years
    Alright, answers are starting to overlap, not to mention this would be more suited for the In-Game forum.

*closed*

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back