• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Umbreon or Espeon?

Raging Umbreon

Pkmn Trainer
Years
  • In Gold, Silver and Crystal when you had the choice between Eevee's new evolutionary forms which one did you choose? Umbreon or Espeon?

Last edited:
    Years
  • Eevee's new evolutionary forms were conceived back then? The first I had ever heard of them, was that glitch in Emerald in the Battle Arena or something.

Definitely Espeon. She looks so cute! Although Umbreon has the type advantage.

Years
  • Espeon has more oomph to its Psychic, but that's all it really has going for it here. Umbreon is crazy bulky, but doesn't do much attacking. I prefer Espeon since it can hit hard, and use Morning Sun I guess.

classiccartoonsftw

Nintendo is for awesome people
    Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2017
    I prefer Espeon over Umbreon. Espeon is cute and strong, two things Umbreon wishes it was. Also, I find Umbreon really overrated.

Years
  • SUCH a toss up for me, as I love and have used both. I honestly can't decide. Espeon is exponentially better at offense as it is fast and had a high special attack. Umbreon doesn't hit hard but is such an annoying stall and support pokemon with respectable defenses. They're both great in their own ways ;o;

Years
  • When I was a kid, I recall how in Gold I really wanted an Umbreon because I already had data on Espeon thanks to a trade, but I still ended up with Espeon anyway XD (I was too stupid to press the "B" button while it was evolving :P) I didn't love the Eeveelutions as much as I do now, either, so it wasn't a huge deal for me. Nowadays, I prefer Espeon to Umbreon in GSC, but I recently used Umbreon in a challenge I did on Crystal, and it helped a lot with its defenses + status moves & Curse! Both are really amazing in their own ways ;;

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
  • I have never drastically liked one over the other, even as a kid they were both equally as awesome to me. However, I will have to go with Espeon, because its stats allow it to better match my playstyle (more emphasis on attacking rather than defense) and it is easier to obtain as I play Pokemon more in the daytime.

Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2023
    I've always liked Espeon better, though my appreciation for Umbreon has grown with time. I do like the way Umbreon looks better, but it's too stall-y for in-game. I don't remember which one I got first in GSC, though. I guess I played more during "NITE" hours, but I think I also played during the day back then (unlike now), so I suppose I could have gotten either.

Years
    • Seen Oct 18, 2023
    Definitely Espeon, I would always wait until Eevee learned Bite before evolving it into Espeon! However, I also like Umbreon and I used one when I first played Sapphire.

T The Manager

RealTalkRealFlow
    Years
  • Espeon for gameplay and attacking and Umbreon for a defensive wall. But to answer the question i prefer Umbreon on the design spectrum and Espeon in battle cause it's a special sweeper.

Years
    • Seen Feb 12, 2016
    Espeon is less unique, what you get from espeon you can basically get from alakazam/Mr.Mime. Umbreon is a tank with a unique typing(in gsc), only weak against fighting and bug, and basically the only good bug attack is megahorn, which only heracross have. Breed it with charm and there is hardly anything that can take it down.
    As for personal opinion, i like both very much, but i think umbreon looks cooler. There is just something so dark(duh) and sinister about it.

KorpiklaaniVodka

KID BUU PAWAA
    Years
  • I prefer Espy. It's pretty cute, is useful in-game thanks to its huge offensive presence by GSC standards and it has a nice DW ability which allows it to not give a crap about most walls. Also, Umbreon is really overrated and I don't really get why.

Years
    • Seen Feb 12, 2016
    Espeon is basically a inferior Alakazam, if anything is overrated its Espeon, tbf.

Limey-chan

Batzu
    Years
  • Really tough call, but based on aesthetics alone (and the superior shiny sprite), Umbreon edges it.

Espeon was the one I chose during my first real play-through of Silver, it was part of my original team which first beat the Elite Four (along with Feraligatr, Ampharos, Houndoom and Steelix).

I wish Umbreon wasn't such a staller :(

Back