• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Underpowered Starters.

Years
    I agree! I've got all three starters and i do find they are weaker than the starters from previous gens...apart from my dewott, he's beast! :D

Wings Don't Cry

Maybe she's born with it
    Years
    I only played the game with Snivy so far and it was pretty gruelling at first, the game isn't easy when you need to rely on tackle, vine whip and wrap. Leaf Tornado didn't have enough PP either so my starter kinda fell behind the rest of my team when I ran out of PP for Leaf Tornado until I got Leaf Blade. After you get Leaf Blade and Giga Drain, it's pretty smooth sailing from there.

Destiny.

The Absol Master
    Years
    • Seen Oct 31, 2019
    Yeah. I love leaf blade, since its got nice PP/power :)

Volroc

The Unpredictability Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Jul 20, 2015
    Its pretty obvious the pig is completely worthless :/

But i swept Cynthias entire team with just my serperier who was 10levels lower than all her pokemon during the course of the entire fight, i was laughing my ass off about how my snake could 2shot an eagle,and 1shot a garchomp XD Coil is by far the best status move yet.

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
    Years
    My best friend felt the same way with Pignite, and he told me that a few of his friends had the same problem that Pignite just keep on fainting. Luckily I did not have this problem because I started out with Oshawott and he showed no problems at all

:t354:TG

Boarbeque

Deep Voiced Nerd
    Years
    You are using your Pignite wrong. Mine hardly ever dies, it actually survives with red health most of the time.

Emboar is really only underpowered when you fight a special attacker. He can hardly live those kinds of hits. Ive no real problem with physical hits though.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    I don't find Dewott underpowered at all. It learns a base 75 power attack early at level 17 (Razor Shell as Oshawott before evolving). It's OHKOed-2HKOed almost everything it encountered with that move, with Water Pulse as a backup STAB. It also has Revenge and Fury Cutter, but I stick to its STABs for attacking.

Years
    Really Servine was actually quite powerful. But then again I only sent it out for types it was super-effective against. Honestly most of the Pokemon at the beginning have quite a low defence so it's fairly even.

Heart Gold

Jellicent Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Feb 6, 2012
    Its pretty obvious the pig is completely worthless :/

But i swept Cynthias entire team with just my serperier who was 10levels lower than all her pokemon during the course of the entire fight, i was laughing my ass off about how my snake could 2shot an eagle,and 1shot a garchomp XD Coil is by far the best status move yet.

This.

Serperior by far is not underpowered, it has the best stat division I've seen for a grass type other than Whimsicott! Coil takes out everything.

Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2011
    I was quite happy with my Samurott. Razor Shell was a really powerful move for a long time, and later when I got Surf I knew exactly who would learn it.
    But then again, I used really few pokemons through almost the whole story, so Samurott ended up pretty overlevled.

EJ

everything is purple
    Years
    • FL
    • Seen Mar 19, 2022
    ITT: ridiculous generalizations.

Emboar is a monster. Mine has only fainted a few times. I've tanked so much with him and even beat Clay's Excadrill.

Serperior, on the other hand, I felt was ridiculously underpowered. I keep hearing "use Coil" but I'd much rather not rely on a stat buff when grass types have weaknesses to five types.

I haven't used Samurott much but he's definitely a nice asset to teams and generally reliable.

Pwnyta Jockey

Bees Hate You, Pwnyta!
    Years
    Equipping an Eviolite to a middle stage starter is one of those things i like to do. Especially on the slow (at first, Flame Charge) Pignite.

Pignite and Emboar pretty much rely on the foe being paralyzed OR being slower.
    By slower I mean that piggy should have used Flame Charge once or twice.

Makes me wonder if Eviolite Wartortle is as good a Rapid Spinner as I think it is.

Samurott was awesome with Aqua Jet & Razor Shell. paired decently with Basculin, though I usually box Samurott because Basculin is just awesome with Adaptability, Waterfall, Aqua Jet, Soak, Crunch.

Found a Basculin with Hidden Power Psychic 68, heh.

Last edited:
    Back