• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Underrated/Overrated Pokemon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • So I was looking at other forums about underrated/overrated Pokemon so I decided to make a thread about them.

So which Pokemon you think are underrated/overrated and why?

For underrated, I say Sawk. Come on. No one loves this poor guy at all. I've used one in Black and he helped me in many Gym battles and the Battle Subway.
    He is possibly one of my all-time favourite Unova Pokemon. Many people also often criticize Sawk's design as 'bad'. (Sorry Sawk.) But I really don't mind Sawk's design at all. I like weird-looking Pokemon.

For overrated, I say Lucario. I mean seriously, almost every Pokemon fan admires Lucario. It really bothers me. Everyone says that Lucario has an 'awesome design' while I think it looks kinda dull IMO. Plus I can't stand Lucario couples. They always get on my nerves really easily.

RivalGator

I hate them all.
    Years
  • I agree with Lucario. I don't agree that it looks awesome. I'm really in love with the design of Mismagius and Weavile and Gliscor. Those are the Pokemon that people should be going crazy over.

I would say that Meganium is under rated. I never hear much about it, but I love to use it. I dunno.
    Lugia is insanely over rated. I have never found it to be very physically appealing at all... I always found Mewtwo to have an amazing design.

psyanic

pop a wheelie on a zeitgeist
    Years
    • Age 27
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 10, 2023
    Almost every single starter is overrated, IMO. It's kind of valid since everyone starts with them so eh. Nearly every Pokemon fan can identify them so yeah.

Oh and the Eeveelutions in general. As far as I know, Vaporeon and Umbreon are probably the most popular. Yeah, their designs aren't bad, which is why so many people fall head over heels for them.

I also agree on Weavile, Gliscor, and Mismagius. I love them. They're dark and almost evil.

SquirtleGirl

Pokémon: 10 years + Counting..
    Years
  • For overrated, I say Lucario. I mean seriously, almost every Pokemon fan admires Lucario. It really bothers me. Everyone says that Lucario has an 'awesome design' while I think it looks kinda dull IMO. Plus I can't stand Lucario couples. They always get on my nerves really easily.

This.
    [offtopic]Lucario couples? What? *google images* Lucario and Buneary? A Jackal and a Rabbit? How does that work?[/offtopic]
    I simply never saw the appeal of Lucario. It's overused.

Underrated: I would have to say Carnivine. It saved my backside against Bertha on my first playthrough of Diamond. I think it's oddly adorable! ^^;
    455.png

Magica

Miss Magic
    Years
  • Lucario is definitely the most overrated Pokemon out there. And I personally hate its design. Charizard and most of the other starters, and several legendaries too.

As for underrated I would say Mismagius (obviously), Banette, Ampharos, Hitmontop, Skarmory, Roserade, Rapidash, Eelektross, Drapion, Scolipede, and pretty much all the cat Pokemon to name a few.

Last edited:

Renegade1

#1 Noob!
    Years
  • I agree with Lucario, however I kind of like it's design *runs from the bash* :P Underated I'd go with the Rydon line. I mean we've all probably got/had one form of another over the years, but how many of us use it? I know I do, i think he looks cool, all forms. But Because of his major weakness to water and fighting, people disregard him.

Ritzz

Bazinga
    Years
  • Charizard's overrated. Lots of other Fire-types out there.

I think Roserade is underrated. Not a large variety of moves, but still pretty good.

Whistle A Tune

Keep breathing
    Years
  • I feel like Metagross is far overrrated. It loos stupid to me, and I've never used one to great sucess.

Personally, I think Seviper is highly underrated. It's my favorite Pokemon for multiple reasons. It looks sicknasty; I mean it's this giant purple snake with vicious fangs and a arrowhead tail...AHH love it. Also it's got great offensive stats and a a varying movepool. Does anyone else gush thinking about a Seviper ripping off a Flamethrower? My Seviper in Emerald swept Lucy's Battle Pike team after getting Swaggered.

I agree with Lucario, however I kind of like it's design *runs from the bash* :P Underated I'd go with the Rydon line. I mean we've all probably got/had one form of another over the years, but how many of us use it? I know I do, i think he looks cool, all forms. But Because of his major weakness to water and fighting, people disregard him.
    I've actually never used a member of the Rhydon line but I've always wanted to. I love how Rhydon looks but that double water and grass weakness scares me :/

shininglatios217

Wayward Son
    Years
  • Overrated: Mewtwo. In Pokémon Blue a single Mewtwo good moves could sweep an entire team, and the movie didn't help at all.

Underrated: Pokémon that don't evolve. With the exception of Lapras I rarely see them when I battle.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Overrated: Charizard. Even though it's been a fan favorite since R/B/Y, it doesn't do as well competitively.

Underrated: Scolipede. Sure, its Attack is average for a Pokemon its size, but it makes up for it with a decent offensive move pool and high Speed. Not only that, it's a huge monster centipede, which is cool.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • Overrated: Pikachu. For something wioth such crappy stats and ugly design, why is it the freaking MASCOT of the entire franchise? Also, Charizard, Salamence, Arcanine, Lucario, and most of the legendaries.

Underrated: My personal fave, Persian. Fake Out + Technician + STAB is excellent for getting a fairly powerful free hit against many Pokemon. Nidoking also has solid stats and good movepool.

Years
  • I think Roserade is underrated. Not a large variety of moves, but still pretty good.

Not only that, Roserade is tied with Exeggutor for highest Special Attack of all Grass-types.

I think Togekiss is another underrated, it can deal lots of beneficial secondary effects more often thanks to Serene Grace.

And Metronome is so unpredictable.

Serene Grace + more flinching with Air Slash = Awesome combo.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    Overrated: Most dragons, starters and legendaries; Gengar; Miltank; Staraptor; Reuniclus; Volcarona.

Underrated: Arcanine; Eevee (assuming it's never evolved); Dunsparce; Farfetch'd; Golurk; Hitmontop; Jumpluff; Marowak; Mismagius; Noctowl; Parasect; Sandslash; Stantler; Stunfisk; Tauros.

And so on...

Last edited:
    Years
  • I'm sorry, but I got my butt handed to me when my mate brought out Umbreon, his defense was high. But yea, I see what you mean with it being popular. :P

I think that some underrated Pokemon are Throh (And probably Sawk too, haven't used him though...) and Exeggutor. :P

Renegade1

#1 Noob!
    Years
  • I feel like Metagross is far overrrated. It loos stupid to me, and I've never used one to great sucess.

Personally, I think Seviper is highly underrated. It's my favorite Pokemon for multiple reasons. It looks sicknasty; I mean it's this giant purple snake with vicious fangs and a arrowhead tail...AHH love it. Also it's got great offensive stats and a a varying movepool. Does anyone else gush thinking about a Seviper ripping off a Flamethrower? My Seviper in Emerald swept Lucy's Battle Pike team after getting Swaggered.

I've actually never used a member of the Rhydon line but I've always wanted to. I love how Rhydon looks but that double water and grass weakness scares me :/

In terms of weakness yeah it's pretty sucky. But it's easily coverable, with taking a great flying type.

Hydreizard

Seasoned Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Aug 12, 2016
    I'd say that Lucario is a bit overrated. BUT *prepares for verbal assault* I do think his design is pretty cool and he has decent moves. But it's not something I use all the time.

An underrated pokemon in my opinion is Skarmory. I mean, Skarmory is great. It has some nice moves. And it looks is pretty cool.

Jolteon*

Super Boss Trainer
    Years
  • Bibarel is sooo underrated. Hes a BEAST. I MEAN LOOK AT HIM!
    400Bibarel.png

Also he can run sub focus punch like a boss.

2Cool4Mewtwo

Pwning in Ubers since 1996.
    Years

• UNDERRATED
    Unown: It gets no love whatsoever, and gets constantly slated for being one of the weakest pokemon out there (justifiably). Maybe it's just my general sympathy towards psychic pokemon, but I seem to especially like Unown for some reason.
    Zangoose (Maybe): I think it's a very cool pokemon, and nobody seemed to like it, until only recently I've found that there are good group of people who rate this badboy other than myself (mainly in fandom), but maybe it's only the minority. I still think it needs more love, though.

OVERRATED
    Lucario: I absolutely abhor this jackal thing. Don't ask me why, or I'll hate you too.
    Oshawott: Maybe I wouldn't have hated this pathetic creature as much if this thing didn't receive unconditioned love from about 97% of all pokefans out there... I think it's the dorkiest looking pokemon I've ever seen. Also, more fans trying to defend oshawott = more I hate it. (meaning it's utterly useless to try to convince me of anything regarding this thing)

Years
  • All the pokemon I consider overrated (coughLucariocough) have already been mentioned so there's no point in saying them.

As for underrated, I think Honchkrow can be considered that.
    I don't know anyone who actively uses one, which is a shame since mine has saved my behind in a few gym leader rematches in HG.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back