• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Underrated Video Games?

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    F-Zero series hadn't gotten as much attention as it should have, so I'd say it was pretty underrated. Due to that, Nintendo had to cancel making these games. :( Wish this wasn't the case, though, because personally, I'm a huge fan of it. If people gave it a shot, I'm sure they would've liked it, too. Aside from that, Rayman is also pretty underrated.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen May 11, 2023
    The Grandia games! It's the best and most gripping series of games I've ever played (though the stories are all independent from each other) and I've always found it astonishing at how little-known they are. Intense battles, captivating story lines, loveable characters and an innate quirkiness are all big factors contributing to how good this series is, but most of all I'll never forget them being the first games to actually pose a challenge whilst trying to complete them. These games were a huge part of my childhood and I strongly encourage everyone else to try them if you get the chance; the original was the best!

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
  • Another underrated series is Atelier in my opinion.
    Yea, it's probably not for everyone as it works with the idea of having cute girls as protagonists and those girls meet other cute girls =D
    But those games are actually the first ones who started actively implementing time restriction and the whole idea of alchemy is very interesting.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    I'm a big fan of Final Fantasy X-2. It gets a lot of hate, unfortunately, and I have my own theories as to why that is, but I found it a very enjoyable game. It obviously wasn't deep and sad like the first one, but it was fun in the way Gundam Build Fighters is fun even though it's not as serious as main series Gundam shows.

Plus, sphere break is far superior to blitzball.

Years
  • Another underrated series is Atelier in my opinion.
    Yea, it's probably not for everyone as it works with the idea of having cute girls as protagonists and those girls meet other cute girls =D
    But those games are actually the first ones who started actively implementing time restriction and the whole idea of alchemy is very interesting.

The idea of alchemy in that game was the reason why I wanted to try Atelier Totori, but in contrast to your opinion of cute girls, I wasn't very fond of any of them XD

I'm a big fan of Final Fantasy X-2. It gets a lot of hate, unfortunately, and I have my own theories as to why that is, but I found it a very enjoyable game.

Plus, sphere break is far superior to blitzball.

I wouldn't say I'm a huge fan of X-2, but like yourself, I found the game quite enjoyable despite all the negative criticism that it received \: Even though there were multiple dresspheres that were painfully difficult to level and master, I liked having the diversity and variety they offered in skills. Also, I thought that the Sphere Break game was better than Blitzball at the time, but my opinion has changed. I had to play Blitzball for a few hours to obtain Wakka's ultimate weapon stuff so it made me more comfortable with the mini-game; it's fun until the point where your team is far more superior than the rest XD

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
  • The idea of alchemy in that game was the reason why I wanted to try Atelier Totori, but in contrast to your opinion of cute girls, I wasn't very fond of any of them XD
    Well... that's pretty obvious that the idea of cute girls is for the male population :D
    And you should start with Rorona ;) Totori is the second part of trilogy.

Arc

[img]http://i.imgur.com/kieFJln.gif[/img]
    Years
  • Well... that's pretty obvious that the idea of cute girls is for the male population :D
    Maybe the remake of Rorona. But the original Rorona has a pretty strict time limit, and would definitely drive newcomers to the series away. So, starting with Totori is probably the best bet. Or even starting with Ayesha of the Dusk series, since that has a pretty non-restricting time limit.

Jabberwocky

A man ain't nothin' but a man
    Years
  • The Ty the Tasmanian Tiger games are really solid and fun platformers, and it's disappointing there were only three console titles released.

Years
  • How about the Shadow Heart Series on the PS 2 really great RPG series with some good characters and a unique gameplay mechanic. Also the voiceacting is soo bad its good.

Years
  • Well... that's pretty obvious that the idea of cute girls is for the male population :D

They should make an Atelier with just an all-male cast XD Just one, that's all I ask. I remember having Atelier Iris 2 for the PS2, but my sister unfortunately sold that before I was old enough to play >>;; Design-wise, Meruru I'd assume would be my favourite protagonist.

Maybe the remake of Rorona. But the original Rorona has a pretty strict time limit, and would definitely drive newcomers to the series away. So, starting with Totori is probably the best bet. Or even starting with Ayesha of the Dusk series, since that has a pretty non-restricting time limit.

There's a remake or Rorona?

Ah, I thought about another underrated series: Katamari! Previously played one on the PS2, and despite it's simplicity, it was a real treat to play because I found it comedic to roll around collecting random items XD Probably going to pick Katamari Forever for the PS3 sometime next week.

Arc

Years
  • They should make an Atelier with just an all-male cast XD Just one, that's all I ask. I remember having Atelier Iris 2 for the PS2, but my sister unfortunately sold that before I was old enough to play >>;; Design-wise, Meruru I'd assume would be my favourite protagonist.
    Core demographic of Atelier is male, so I don't know how well received an all male cast would be, haha. But, you never know. Logy, the male protagonist of Atelier Escha and Logy, was pretty well received by fans last I heard.

There's a remake or Rorona?
    Yeah, there is a remake of the original Rorona. But as of now, it's only been released in Japan on the Vita and PS3 with no plans for an NA/EU release. But, seeing the track record of Atelier games so far, I have no doubt in my mind that it'll come out for NA/EU and it'll probably be sometime this year as well.

Years
  • Core demographic of Atelier is male, so I don't know how well received an all male cast would be, haha. But, you never know. Logy, the male protagonist of Atelier Escha and Logy, was pretty well received by fans last I heard.

Haha, I know. Just wishful thinking (: The ever growing number of games in the Atelier series reminds me of the Tales of series.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
  • Maybe the remake of Rorona. But the original Rorona has a pretty strict time limit, and would definitely drive newcomers to the series away. So, starting with Totori is probably the best bet. Or even starting with Ayesha of the Dusk series, since that has a pretty non-restricting time limit.
    Hm... depending on what you wanted to achieve.
    Yea, obviously if you wanted Astrid ending in the first playthrough then yea, that was pretty hardcore. (no it wasn't, I got it xD)
    But if you could go with any ending, it wasn't hard.

They should make an Atelier with just an all-male cast XD Just one, that's all I ask. I remember having Atelier Iris 2 for the PS2, but my sister unfortunately sold that before I was old enough to play >>;; Design-wise, Meruru I'd assume would be my favourite protagonist.
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
    Sales would go to hell with this =D

Core demographic of Atelier is male, so I don't know how well received an all male cast would be, haha. But, you never know. Logy, the male protagonist of Atelier Escha and Logy, was pretty well received by fans last I heard.
    Actually... nope. E&L actually dropped in sales. That's why even though new Dusk series goes 2 protagonists route, both are females.

Yeah, there is a remake of the original Rorona. But as of now, it's only been released in Japan on the Vita and PS3 with no plans for an NA/EU release. But, seeing the track record of Atelier games so far, I have no doubt in my mind that it'll come out for NA/EU and it'll probably be sometime this year as well.
    It will be localized for sure. As there is even save compatibility with Meruru+ in Shin Rorona.

Years
  • After looking through my game collection, i'm going to also have to say The Legand of Zelda: Ocarina of Time and Final Fantasy VII Darksiders. For how fantastic of a game it was (regardless of the God of War and Legend of Zelda influences (which I can see but don't believe are bad)) it didn't receive the attention that it deserved.

Years
  • I don't know if anyone had the chance to play Bastion but it is a sweet game with real fun cartoon-esque graphics. I got it on amazon on one of their deals for like $5!

Arc

Years

• Hm... depending on what you wanted to achieve.
    Yea, obviously if you wanted Astrid ending in the first playthrough then yea, that was pretty hardcore. (no it wasn't, I got it xD)
    But if you could go with any ending, it wasn't hard.
    Well, I was comparing it to the rest of the series xD Rorona definitely has a stricter time limit in comparison to say, Meruru. But, I'm not saying that it's super hard.

Actually... nope. E&L actually dropped in sales. That's why even though new Dusk series goes 2 protagonists route, both are females.
    Well, the director for the Dusk series said Logy himself was well received by fans. And, he says that they will only implement another male protagonist if they're confident that he will be a better character than Logy, so I'm pretty sure that's why Atelier Shari only has two female protagonists.

Besides, I don't think sales dropped just because of Logy. I would say they dropped because it came out the same week as Gundam Breaker lol.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
  • Well, I was comparing it to the rest of the series xD Rorona definitely has a stricter time limit in comparison to say, Meruru. But, I'm not saying that it's super hard.
    On the other hand, if you conquer Rorona, you won't have problems with other series =D
    I actually found Totori's time management a little worse... due to Mimi's events =D

Besides, I don't think sales dropped just because of Logy. I would say they dropped because it came out the same week as Gundam Breaker lol.
    That might also be the case...

Years
    • Seen Sep 8, 2014
    I think PMD and Pokepark are both really underrated, PMD's music and story can make you cry and the Pokepark gameplay brings in what I hope the main series games bring in the future.

Salamence62

you're gonna hear me rawr :3
    Years
  • solatorobo. some people would say the combat mechanics suck but the story-line and the captivating scenery makes it all worth it. C: it's on the DS and the graphics aren't too great but it's so awesome and wonderful.

plus red savarin is pretty hot for a caninu. cx

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    I don't know if anyone had the chance to play Bastion but it is a sweet game with real fun cartoon-esque graphics. I got it on amazon on one of their deals for like $5!

Raises the question of how do you define underrated - Bastion isn't well-known, but among the people that know it, it's incredibly highly rated. Does this mean it's underrated or just a hidden gem? Is there a difference?

Anyway Bastion's music is amazing. I own the game and haven't gotten to play it yet but I put its soundtrack on loop when I work because it's great and almost exactly an hour long so I can measure the length of time I work in Bastion soundtracks.

Back