• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Undertale

Universe

all-consuming
Years
    • Seen Nov 17, 2016
    logo.png

[ CLICK ME FOR INFO ]
    I've waited long enough to inquire. It's time.

Has anyone played this game yet? It's on Steam for 10 usd and just scored a 97 on Metacritic. Saying it's good is an understatement.

Buy yourself this game because you deserve it. You won't regret it. ;)
    I really need more people to talk about it with so...

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • I'm intending to get this game sometime. Kind of bogged down with too many other games so I want to clear a few more I'm already into outside of the 'will always be playing these' games I have before picking it up.

I did try the demo a while back though! And that was pretty encouraging, and really neat with its execution imo. If anyone is curious yet hesitant over what is a cheap game (but from what I heard not a terribly long one either) I'd suggest trying that out.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Mar 22, 2024
    Haven't heard of this before but it definitely looks like something I'd play - I usually like these quirky little indie games (and I see there are many dogs in it, so that's a plus).

I do have a huge backlog though, so I'm not sure if I want to pick it up just yet or wait for a sale or something. I think I'll try that demo bobandbill mentioned. :)

Years
  • I have played it, I made a bad thing. I regretted it and reloaded, the flower made everything worse so I reseted, I have completed it one time, then I went back and I completed it once again truly. Before you ask, NO I did not have bad time.

I'm not sure if I'm going to play this game anymore for the rest of my life.
    Unless Toby will make some kind of DLC that would make me play it again.

It changed my perspective on life. I have hard time to recover mentally.

It's been five years since a video game made me cry so hard.

Thank you C.T once again.

Last edited:

Yukari

I remember Dustmop showing me this game when it was one Greenlight.

That was the moment where I knew I needed it. It looks amazing. But I don't have money right now. ;;

derozio

[b][color=red][font=helvetica][i]door-kun best boi
    Years
  • This game is fantastic.

I can wholeheartedly recommend it for its story alone. The way it messes with you and the way your choices throughout the game has meaningful impact - it really makes for an unforgettable experience. The characters are goofy and nicely characterized. It has its fair share of twists and it really takes advantage of player's expectations from what you'd consider a run of the mill RPG - it is VERY good at screwing with you. XD; Which is NOT a bad thing at all considering the fact that predictability in games is one thing most people dislike.

Art may be a sour point for some but it really works for the game. Minimalist design is a choice they took up and it really helps with the game's personality. They made sure there's a decent amount of animation where it is REALLY required - you being patted on head by Toriel, Sans' jokes and that accompanying zoom-in and sound effect, papyrus' constant poses and whatnot. All make for subtle details that really add to the overall package.

Combat is great. You can even avoid fighting ANYONE till the end if you want. I killed a few people during my first playthrough but I don't regret that since the combat system is very fun. Attacking is a qte based event which tests your timing. The best part about the combat is definitely defending, though. Since all enemies use varied kinds of attacks on you, the defending turn can change from anywhere between you dodging easy-to-dodge puppy attacks to the hardest bullet hell (something you'd find in a Touhou game or the like...). And if you choose not to fight, you can talk, flirt or do any of the bazillions of the enemy exclusive "acts" possible. REALLY makes for an amazing gameplay, trust me.

And the music. Oh my god. I've been listening to Mr. "you are gonna have a bad time"'s boss theme on loop for almost an hour now. It is addictive, to say the least. All the other soundtracks utilized are fantastic too. Almost all boss tracks are great. And the rest of the tracks are very personality-rich too.

What REALLY makes this unforgettable, though, is the way it messes with you as a player, its self-aware nature of it being a game and the way it reacts to your choices in the game. Each action unlocks some new dialogue, some more new choices and may even lead to you having anything from an okay to a "very bad time". Simply put, the amount of effort that's been put into this game to make it worthy of multiple playthroughs is absolutely staggering. I can't even. Just wow.

I'm playing through it a second time. This time I won't kill a single soul and finish the game on LV1. With no XP gain and no LV gain, I'll have a tough time, sure. But I'll still do it because the result, I know, will be worth it.

Then, just after that playthrough, I plan to go on a run where I kill EVERYBODY. I don't think my heart will be able to handle it after a peaceful run but...I wanna try it anyway. To see how morbid and depressing this game can get. It already made me somewhat depressed in my "neutral/normal" playthrough (and I hadn't even killed many people ;____;) so I'm sure it'll be painful. But yeah.

ANYWAY. tl;dr - game is fantastic and you're missing out on one hell of an experience if you miss it.

Years
  • True pacifist after Genocide run? Good luck

I did pacifist and got true good ending (yes the ending with
    Spoiler:
    )

Spoiler:

At this point I don't even want to take the other route. I care too much about the characters,

derozio

Years
  • I'm not sure what the "white letters" ending is. But I guess that's okay. It is just gonna be one of the things that the designer deliberately took care of and made sure affects subsequent playthroughs, after all. It'll just hammer home the fact that you are not above consequences for the actions you take. I'm fine with that. I really tip my hat to the developer for coding the game they did, really!

Just to make things clear, I did the "neutral" route first. Now it'll be "pacifist" and then "genocide" in that order.

Years
  • I'm not sure what the "white letters" ending is. But I guess that's okay. It is just gonna be one of the things that the designer deliberately took care of and made sure affects subsequent playthroughs, after all. It'll just hammer home the fact that you are not above consequences for the actions you take. I'm fine with that. I really tip my hat to the developer for coding the game they did, really!

Just to make things clear, I did the "neutral" route first. Now it'll be "pacifist" and then "genocide" in that order.

So if you did the Neutral first, it won't be bad. Actually you'll get the best experience, trust me. But good luck on starting genocide after pacifist. I am not that mentally strong.

derozio

Years
  • Will I get the "white letters"?
    Spoiler:

I am really looking forward to it. The experience of this pacifist run, that is. I've barely played it and I've already started noticing all those little changes. :D And I know. Genocide after pacifist is super tough. But I'll try my best. To become a monster.

derozio

Years
  • That, strangely enough, carries a lot of meaning after all you go through the game. :D Weird how a color change can change things so much - how you feel at the end, I mean. :3

Years
  • ...Oh yeeeah, I meant to pick up this game when I saw it mentioned somewhere around here a few days ago. X) Whoops. Not sure what stopped me then, the price certainly wouldn't, and taking a look at how it plays it definitely seems like my kind of game. Maybe it's my own backlog that made me pause, I do have plenty of games I should play first...

But I think I'm gonna go off and buy this right now, just so I won't forget again. I'll see about playing it sometime later. Not like I've made a move to play much else lately!

Universe

all-consuming
    Years
    • Seen Nov 17, 2016
    i'm actually near completion on the genocide route as we speak. just practicing on the final boss so i can beat them. :);;;
    it's not only a ridiculously hard run, but it also makes you feel like the scum of the Earth as an added bonus.

i love this game.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Mar 22, 2024
    ...Nevermind, looks like I own Undertale now thank you mage <3

First impression, the combat system is the cutest thing ever what is this
    I just complimented a frog and it blushed

Years
  • i'm actually near completion on the genocide route as we speak. just practicing on the final boss so i can beat them. :);;;
    it's not only a ridiculously hard run, but it also makes you feel like the scum of the Earth as an added bonus.

i love this game.

I hope you feel like one you bloody murderer.

Years
  • So yesterday afternoon, decided to finally try this game out because I was bored and why not, and...spent pretty much most of the rest of my evening playing this. I'm definitely hooked all the way, very few games get me like this. And oh, do I adore the music so much.

Would still be playing it now, but uh...I had just completed a pacifist run, and I thought I would be fine to start a genocide run right after, but apparently I don't have enough fortitude for that right now lol. So, uh, I'll do that later. :(

Lunalie

Years
  • I swear to god this game... This game...
    I couldn't...

Spoiler:

Last edited:

derozio

Years
  • WHAT. ^ I don't know about anything like that!

God, there are so many secrets in the game just waiting to be explored. MUST REPLAY.
    Reminds me - I started my pacifist run recently. Look forward to all changes. :3

Back