• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

"uninitialized constant PBColors" error in Editor

ObsidianFlare983

Game Creator
Years
    • Seen Feb 1, 2016
    ---------------------------
    Pokemon Essentials
    ---------------------------
    Exception: NameError

Compiler:1680:in `pbCompilePokemonData'

Compiler:4098:in `pbCompileAllData'

Compiler:4212

This exception was logged in

C:\Users\(name)\Saved Games/Pokemon Essentials/errorlog.txt

I don't know why the error above appears whenever I open my "Editor", and I need to use it a lot to be able to finish my game, I've used it before
    but then it stopped for some reason!

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
    Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    I moved this post out of the stickied bug-reporting thread because that thread is only for bugs in the latest version of Essentials.

If you read carefully, what I just said is also the answer to your question.

Years
    • Seen Feb 11, 2016
    I know that was probably really clever or something but can you please clarify because I've been looking at this line for like an hour and still can't see the answer

Maruno

Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    It means you're not using the latest version of Essentials. Go download it.

Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2017
    Then it's rather odd that I get this error while on 16.1 then. Is the only solution really starting all over?

Maruno

Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    Are you aware that the v16.1 download contains 3 files, and that you're supposed to use all of them? Because you may have overlooked the one called EditorScripts (no prizes for guessing what that's for).

Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2017
    Yes, I was aware considering I've been using Pokemon Essentials since the Gen IV days.

I did manage to fix the issue by basically copying almost everything over from an untouched Essentials copy/backup of mine (which is also up to date). I did overwrite that file from the update folder in the way you mentioned but anything short of overwriting almost everything (the only things I didn't overwrite was the main scripts file and the maps) in order to get the editor to work.

It still is rather frustrating since I know that I was using a properly updated version of Pokemon Essentials and I got this error while you posit that only those using outdated/improperly updated versions would get this error.

I do apologize if I come off as rude and/or belligerent, I just am rather annoyed by the approach you have utilized in dealing with this error.

Maruno

Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    To be blunt, this error does not occur in v16.1. That means the cause is something you have done. That's simply all there is to it. There's nothing else I can say, and that's why I kept talking about it.

And when you say things like:

the only things I didn't overwrite was the main scripts file
    ...it doesn't inspire confidence that you've actually followed instructions on how to update to v16.1, despite your claims that you have. At the very least, you're updating your game in a more roundabout way than you need to (a process I don't know and cannot advise on), and at worst, you're not actually updating at all - most if not all changes in a new version of Essentials are script changes, and if you're not updating your scripts...

Back