• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

United Nations wants homeschooling outlawed

Years
    Homeschooling should be done by teachers still in my opinion. You can hire a teacher that knows every topic that needs to be taught so the children still get a full education.

Squeegee Beckenheim

SB - The Hunk (Since 2005)
    Years
    You don't have to be taught by a teacher in the present flesh, Bobby. I am homeschooled using teachers, teaching me on DVD. And my mom only checks some of my papers. So my mom really has no opportunity to edit my schooling good for me.

I think the UN has no right to do this. And I do not think they will do this in the end. And if they do, I hope they wait a few years so I can graduate with this homeschool program and go to college.

Chiru

I dun use this account any mo'
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen May 31, 2013
    Okay. First of all, I think that outlawing homeschooling is a completely stupid idea. Like other people have said, in some cases it's the family's only option, and it can be a quieter and more comfortable learning environment. I go to a public school, and since Math is my worst subject, I'm in a basic math class with a bunch of stupid delinquents who don't give two [you know]'s about learning. They're constantly disrupting the class, and on some days we hardly get anything done. It's annoying to me because I actually want to learn, and I won't want to constantly be distracted by these idiots. I'm in an advanced English class, which is better because you're surrounded by the people who actually work hard and care about their grades, but I realize that not everyone has the option of taking advanced classes.

Going with what a friend of mine says about being homeschooled, you are in a more comfortable environment without distractions from 25 other students, and the teaching is more one-on-one so you can understand what you learn better. Those are the benefits. Yes, you aren't surrounded by other kids, and that may lead to some people being antosocial, but hell, I'm more antisocial than a lot of people I know that are homeschooled. I'm not trying to glorify homeschooling, and I'm sure there are just as many downsides to it, but I thought I'd like to bring this point up.

Also, homeschooling only really works if the person doing the homeschooling is fit to be teaching. I know a kid who told me that her parents said that she was being homeschooled, but they really didn't teach her at all and only kept her home to babysit her siblings. I think that things like that need to be dealt with, and whoever's in charge of this should take the time to make sure that the student who will be homeschooled will actually be taught, but there's no reason to outlaw homeschooling because of cases like this one.

Another thing I'd like to bring up is this: forgive me if I'm mistaken, because I don't care about politics enough to know this for sure, but what power does the UN have over this? They don't have power over any country's government, do they? One would think that issues like this would be left up to each individual country to decide within their own government.

Last edited:

Blaze

Shine On~
    Years
    Banning homeschooling has got to be the most idiotic and illogical thing I have ever heard. Especially with the conditions of most public schools, homeschooling allows an alternative to that.

I believe the United Nations needs to focus more on ending corruption within the organization. I mean seriously, who takes the U.N seriously anymore I mean this whole league of nations never does prevent wars.

It is just a bunch of old men who think they are superior and speak on behalf of the people, which in reality they are not. They need to get out of their BMW's and drive into the real sections of Planet Earth.

They just want to outlaw it because homeschooling usually provides children who are more highly educated which are deemed a t hreat to their power and control over the masses.

Zelos

*yawn*
    Years
    I don't think banning it would be the right thing to do. I attend a public school now, but I was homeschooled from 2nd to 5th grade. When I first entered 6th grade at a public middle school many people were surprised at how smart I was. I made straight A's and everything...

My mom received books and a curriculum for me from them. I would go through it and read the books, do the homework, and take tests at the end of the year just like everyone else. I really did like it. I had lots of friends even though I didn't go to a public school so it wasn't really that I was always alone.

Dignity

[~As I lay dying~]
    Years
    • Seen Sep 28, 2009
    I think that is SOO unfair. I know how it is to be homeschooled, and it's a wonderful thing. I was homeschooled until the third grade, and I had plenty of friends. I was, however, shocked at the naivete of some of the children in school. ^^; Just my two cents.

Lord Mike

Most Loyal Colts Fan on Earth
    Years
    Dignity said:
    I think that is SOO unfair. I know how it is to be homeschooled, and it's a wonderful thing. I was homeschooled until the third grade, and I had plenty of friends. I was, however, shocked at the naivete of some of the children in school. ^^; Just my two cents.

I know. Some teens today are under too much peer pressure at school and sometimes don't even feel safe at school because they might be afraid a bully will steal their lunch or beat them up. You should always be able to feel safe in your school. If you don't feel safe, I say homeschool.

Years
    • Seen Jun 5, 2007
    I am homeschooled as well. I have a very full life, filled with relationships with people of various ages in many areas. I am not anti-social or backward. My mother teaches me and my brothers to think critically, to examine evidence and seek truth. Most homeschoolers are completely normal kids, at least as normal as the kids who are institutionalized in a public school setting. Those of you who are anti-homeschooling have not given any relevant evidence for your opinions. For every backward, racist homeschooler you show me, I'll show you ten that go to school outside the home. Get your facts straight!

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2015
    I'm not homeschooled but my public school sux for most people I know, everywhere you look evreyone looks shifty and they bully everyone too, someone tryed to hit me before and a couple of secs. later they were leftcrying on the ground by me

Aegis

The Savage Nymph
    Years
    Thats sounds exactly like something that the UN would do. Its a complete outrage. Personally, I don't think that it will happen, because to many businesses would go belly up. Like "Pedmont Homeschooling", all it does is register and manage homeschooling families. And I know there are many more like it that would be out if this law was placed.

Lord Mike

Most Loyal Colts Fan on Earth
    Years
    My question is why are they doing this? There are some schools in neighborhoods that don't provide enough education for more advanced people. You'd be suprised at some schools you'd see around the USA. Sometimes you're better off homeschooling.

Shining Arcanine

Senior Super Moderator
    Years
    According to a new "interpretation" of what is known as "customary international law," some U.S. judges have ruled that, even though the U.S. Senate and President have never ratified the Convention, it is still binding on American parents. "In the 2002 case of Beharry v. Reno, one federal court said that even though the Convention was never ratified, it still has an 'impact on American law'," Farris explained. "The fact that virtually every other nation in the world has adopted it has made it part of customary international law, and it means that it should be considered part of American jurisprudence."

If everyone else jumped off a bridge, would Judge Farris jump off too?

Zone said:
    Exactly. Homeschooling could be being done by corrupt parents who will twist around history lessons to make them into people like them.

So are you saying that the possibility that could happen should ruin it for everyone? Does this not work both ways, where public education could be done by a corrupt state government which will twist around history and all other classes to make students into people like them? You know if people are allowed to leave their homes, they might kill others. Does this mean that the government has the right to restrict people to their homes?

Back