• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Unova Pronunciation: You-Na-va? or Un-No-Vah?

How is it Pronounced?

• You-Na-Vu

Votes: 39 34.2%
  • Un-No-vah

Votes: 75 65.8%

• Total voters

Nateon

Pokemon Will Be Real One Day!
    Years
    I've always called it Un-o-va but i've been wrong before, i guess we'll find out in the english anime maybe?

El Diabeetus

Amateur Voice Actor / ROM Editor ('Hacker')
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Jun 10, 2020
    I pronounce it Uno-vuh personally. You-no-vuh sounds wrong to me.

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
    Years
    I pronounce it ; Is-Shu, because I use that name although I've have to break into Unova.

According to Alternative and one of his blogs Unova will be pronounced Yew-Ne-Vah.

I hope to god someone messed it up on the commercial .___. Cause' if thats true Idk what I'll do ;__;

TJgamer

A Pokémon Poet
    Years
    • Seen Oct 13, 2021
    You-no-vah sounds good.

You-na-vu? That doesn't make sense. :cer_confused:

Backup

Maybe Next Time
    Years
    I've been pronouncing it "You-No-Vah". It sounds right that way but I'm not really sure if it's the right way...

Unova: "Uno-vah" ? Um... That doesn't sound right....

"Youn-oh-vah"? Still odd...

GlitchCity

GlitchxCity
    Years
    Is there really another way to say it? I heard people criticizing the english commercials because they pronnounced Unova wrong. But yes, I perfer You-No-Vah. I think the "Nova" part is what makes Unova epic.

Years
    American people will find You sound better because of their English language
    i'm from Europe and i pronounce it U-No-Va and find it best for me

Boarbeque

Deep Voiced Nerd
    Years
    It is Latin so they pronounced it correctly. People are going to complain about it for about a month and then get over it like they did with the designs of the pokemon, and all other changes.

Speed

Skyward
    Years
    I pronounce it You-no-vah. I guess we can just wait until they say it on the English anime to see the correct pronunciation.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    American people will find You sound better because of their English language
    i'm from Europe and i pronounce it U-No-Va and find it best for me

That's what I was thinking, that people from diffferent languages will pronounce it differently because of their accent, and generally most of the public from that language would be accepting of that pronounciation because that's how they speak. Except in this case, where Americans seem to disagree with the pronouncation.

Either way, You-No-Va for me. As in U-Nova. I think the narrator pronounces it how most of us say it, just says it really quickly. :(

Back