• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Unova's "Isolation" from other regions

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
Years
  • I like the idea of an isolated reigon. It truly feels like a new game is on the horizon. Besides their weren't any islands left in japan to base a reigon off

Eh...there's quite a bit of land left that is above Kanto/Johto and south of Sinnoh. There's also a small chunk of isolated land to the left of Johto, which I think could be used as a little bonus Sevii-ish location:

Unova's "Isolation" from other regions

(first map is larger render of pre-Unova main series regions including Hoenn's "real world" orientation and the Orange Archipelago; second map has Hoenn's "game orientation" of 90 degrees counterclockwise rotation and includes both the Orange and Sevii Archipelagos)

You mean like how Bill took you to the Sevii islands after the seventh Badge in FrLg? That would be awesome if they did that :D

Another mini-region faraway like the Sevii and Orange Islands coupled with the main region of a game would be interesting.

As for Unova's isolation, it fits the whole "rebirth" theme and strengthens the concept of an "only Unova-native Pokemon" game. However, since a lot of Pokemon foreign to Unova can be found after beating the Elite 4, the isolation thing is kind of made pointless. What, was there some kind of mass migration of Pokemon immediately after Adeku's defeat? Flying and swimming Pokemon I can understand, but how did Pokemon like Lairon and Aggron get there? :cer_confused: There's always the excuse of that landmass above Unova, but that detracts even further from Unova's "isolation." IMO, if Unova was a lone island region (similar to Australia), then the whole "isolation concept" would work well, but right now, it still seems implausible that no one in Unova has ever seen fairly common foreign Pokemon like Pikachu.

Last edited:

JP

wut?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 13, 2019
    Are those maps the real deal or are they fan interpretations of what the Pokemon world looks like thus far? I was always under the impression that we didn't know for sure where exactly everything was located in relation to one another. I know that the shapes of the regions are based off segments of real world Japan, but it doesn't necessarily mean they're located and situated like that?

Just curious of course.

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
  • Are those maps the real deal or are they fan interpretations of what the Pokemon world looks like thus far? I was always under the impression that we didn't know for sure where exactly everything was located in relation to one another. I know that the shapes of the regions are based off segments of real world Japan, but it doesn't necessarily mean they're located and situated like that?

Just curious of course.

I believe they are fan interpretations; I pulled them off of the Rangerboard forum as someone posted them some months ago. For confirmation, I might be able to ask the poster to verify the maps' authenticity, but their filenames seem to be indicating that they are fanmade estimates. They seem to be quite accurate for the most part. :)

Last edited:
    Years
  • Well I'm guessing Unova is up north, because of our lovable Polar Bears and Deer. The other regions are probably like this:

Hoenn: Equator.
    Kanto/Johto: below Equator
    Sinnoh: Above Equator.

So I'm guessing Unova is situated like New York, so it's probably very far from our old regions. Plus, look at some of the Pokemon. This may be fantasy, but GF still has to follow the laws of nature and had to keep the Old 4 Japanese-like.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • XD Gale of Darkness and Collisum are west of Johto according to what most say. Unova is based in America in New York. I have a feeling that there will be more regions in America/Canada if Pokemon countinue after the 5th Gen. It is also stated in Zoroark Master of Illusion that they came from across the great ocean or something like that. Liberty Island is based of the Statue of Liberty.

My guess is that we may get regions around the Great Lakes. Canada,Michigan,Chincago,Ect.

If there is more regions around Unova,we are lible to see even more native pokemon based on native animals. Turkey,Moose,ect.

Sorry,I just got way off topic most likely.

I am going to say 10 Gens will be max if it stays that long.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 26, 2012
    I really like Unova's setup. Now, I love Zubats and Rattatas and Bidoofs but it's going to be nice to see some other Pokemon for a change.

Chadlington

Aka Will Vailencourt
    Years
  • Im loving this speculation. Maybe Gen VI will expand on what exactly is above Unova, like Gen I and II did with Kanto and Johoto.

--Pipvoda, we do have some snow and many mountains and ranges ;) We have the biggest variety of Fauna and Flora too due to our isolation, so I hope we get a game based on aus.

I hope we get one based on Aus too. Although, we dont have any towns or anything inland, we are all based around the coast. Which is the best coast line in the world BTW. I don't think it would work unfortunately.

Chadlington

Aka Will Vailencourt
    Years
  • I disagree. I need a goal when I play these games. After I beat the elite four i normally start again. I'm not one for 'collecting them all' either. Never have been.

Boarbeque

Deep Voiced Nerd
    Years
  • It was stated from the start that Unova is far away from most of the other regions in the Pokemon world. This can be proven by the lack of connectivity with the other Pokemon games, until the main game is completed. This was most likely to give Unova a feeling of freshness and to set it apart (figuratively) from the other regions. So, what are your thoughts on the isolation of Unova? Do you prefer all Pokemon games were like this, or would you rather have full connectivity with all of your other games as soon as possible?

Unova/Isshu is a refresh of the series and GF designers said that they made the pokemon look different for that reason. There will be a new johto

Years
  • Well if Unova is technically Kanto, then the Johto copy should be above Unova or be somewhere else completely different.

Dunno. All I do know is no more connections to other regions.

iNfEcTeD_mUsHrOoM420

Dark and Poison master
    Years
  • I actually really do enjoy the idea. In fact I have seriously tried restraining myself from looking at any of the new pokemon except for like the starters and their evolved forms(possibly) just to give myself that full effect of a whole new world ya know? I cannot wait to enter the Unova region, especially since it's based off of very close to where I live and I do go to NYC all the time and stay there a lot. so this game really is gonna possibly give me that same feeling I had when I was only but 5 or 6 years old, and opened up Pokemon Red version...my first pokemon game ever(that I still own of course ;p ). now as someone did previously state, maybe they should of put some of the water type pokemon from the other regions(maybe in just the oceans, not the smaller lakes) and certain areas,possibly during certain seasons(such as summer) flying type pokemon come to migrate there for a month or so :). I also saw this idea floating abiout somewhere, but I think the next gen should be based off of somewhere like Hawaii ,or have a mainland with tropical islands off the coast. well,theres my opinion. Still waiting :) i still dont know which I am getting. possibly black. I hope theres plenty of new dark type pokemon

MrGriszell

Madara
    Years
    • Seen Feb 11, 2021
    Why do people think there will be no more connections to previous pokemon games in future generations ? There were actually a good number of connections in BW. I think when the developers said unova would be sepreat from other regions the ment it for the region and pokemon not its story and connection to previousw games. It would be foolish to forget about the past 15 years . This was the reason why I loved heart gold because it showed that all the other places were connected like a pokemon world

Nameless.

I personally enjoy the isolation for Unova, but I don't think that should always be the case for every region here on. I mean, GSC/HGSS were amazing to me because of the connectivity between Johto and Kanto. It really was a great thing to me, and I want it to happen again in the future -- but for Unova and a new region instead.

I want Unova's isolation to only mean that it's the start of another "country" for Pokemon, namely the United States. Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, and Sinnoh make their own "country" : Japan. I hope this becomes a type of theme for Pokemon. Every so number of regions they start another country by doing the isolation thing that Unova did. But please, oh please, do not keep doing isolation on every region from now on because of Unova. ><;

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • Eh...there's quite a bit of land left that is above Kanto/Johto and south of Sinnoh. There's also a small chunk of isolated land to the left of Johto, which I think could be used as a little bonus Sevii-ish location:

(first map is larger render of pre-Unova main series regions including Hoenn's "real world" orientation and the Orange Archipelago; second map has Hoenn's "game orientation" of 90 degrees counterclockwise rotation and includes both the Orange and Sevii Archipelagos)

Another mini-region faraway like the Sevii and Orange Islands coupled with the main region of a game would be interesting.

As for Unova's isolation, it fits the whole "rebirth" theme and strengthens the concept of an "only Unova-native Pokemon" game. However, since a lot of Pokemon foreign to Unova can be found after beating the Elite 4, the isolation thing is kind of made pointless. What, was there some kind of mass migration of Pokemon immediately after Adeku's defeat? Flying and swimming Pokemon I can understand, but how did Pokemon like Lairon and Aggron get there? :cer_confused: There's always the excuse of that landmass above Unova, but that detracts even further from Unova's "isolation." IMO, if Unova was a lone island region (similar to Australia), then the whole "isolation concept" would work well, but right now, it still seems implausible that no one in Unova has ever seen fairly common foreign Pokemon like Pikachu.
    They could always add some of that extra land west of Johto in the RS remakes ;)
    Well it's possible that Humans bought those pokemon there and act like invasive species like in real life...

Togakiss

Stay calm and collective.
    Years
  • I like that it creates a new fresh feeling for the game, I just hope that the next Regions are connected XDD

I agree with you, I kind of like how the regions are connected in previous games because I always liked being able to travel to the different regions. I'm hoping that once you beat the Elite Four that you will get to fly to the other regions in the third game. I mean, there has to be a reason that there is an airport in this region other than the fact of the flying-type gym, right? I hope so!

Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2024
    In Pokemon Black and White, I believe that many new features and graphics were implemented as well as many different Pokemon. I believe that Game Freak may just want a fresh new start for their franchise, and this is what it is. It is has also been a decade since the Pokemon franchise started, and Game Freak has a new audience of Pokemon fans that have more modernized thoughts and life styles, so this is mostly a new start for them. I don't think that this is bad at all, it's just a new beginning, and there will probably be new regions that are close to Isshu also that it is not separate from everything.

PiPVoda

water, Forever
    Years
    • He / Him
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 2, 2022
    I agree with you, I kind of like how the regions are connected in previous games because I always liked being able to travel to the different regions. I'm hoping that once you beat the Elite Four that you will get to fly to the other regions in the third game. I mean, there has to be a reason that there is an airport in this region other than the fact of the flying-type gym, right? I hope so!
    Hmm, well I don't think you'll be able to fly to another region, but I do think there could possibly be an area to the north of Unova that becomes visitable. As long as it's not lame like Sinnoh's battle zone, and by lame I meant it got boring for me after awhile.

MrGriszell

Madara
    Years
    • Seen Feb 11, 2021
    People talk like unova is in another dimension its just across the ocean. Its like saying japan is isolated from the U.S.. Just because its far away doesnt mean we will never see people or things from other regions. I think people are putting to much into this whole starting fresh thing. I mean there are vast similarities between the 5th gen and first so maybe thats gonna be the extent of this starting fresh thing

Back