• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Unpopular opinions!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeffy

g'day
Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2024
    I actually like Trubbish and Garbodor's designs :x Don't know how unpopular this one is though!

Years
  • I actually like Trubbish and Garbodor's designs :x Don't know how unpopular this one is though!

I guess it's because people hate inaminate object Pokemon. But I do agree with you in that I think Trubbish and Garbodor are a neat concept since Unova is based on New York which does have a garbage problem.

thedestinedblade

Radiant Cool Boy
    Years
  • I find the Gen 2 Starters to be rather boring. They had such bad movesets for so long. Hell, they still have terrible movesets. Being mono-types doesn't help much, either. Typhlosion is a mess with its move options, Meganium is way too defensive a Pokémon and not even a good defensive Pokémon at that, and Feraligatr does nothing Gyarados can't do four times better.

Years
  • OH BOI!! L'ets make it burn shall we?

Vanillite line is my all time favorite gen 5 pokemon, always use one!

Fire type pokemon are my least favorite type, I rather go with a normal type with a fire type move before even choosing a fire type in the first place.

I do find rather unfair than charizard and mewtwo got the chances of having 2 megas just for the sake of popularity, also charizard related, I never EVER choose charmander as my starter, from red/blue to x/y.

I never considered Johto a region, for me It rather look like a kanto 2.0 than a region on it own. I do find the gym leader pokemon choice rather questionable ( looking at you Morty)

Kanto is the only region where I don't have any favorite gym leaders!

Actually love more the sun and moon anime than x/y anime.

Trainer 766

I hate Rare Candies, and all the stat-boosting vitamins.

I will absolutely not and never use them, and they are a waste of space for me.

I rather train my Pokemon regularly from a scratch than using cheap candies.

And for stat boosting, I rather EV Train instead of giving vitamins.

That way, I am more satisfied with Pokemon, don't ask me why.

Years
  • This is such an unpopular opinion that it may explode even the npopular opinion thread... but I find Sylveon creepy. It tries so hard to be cute with bows and ribbons, cotton candy colors, giant eyes and always smiling that it actually had the opposite affect on me. Its the eyes that unsettle me most...

Years
  • I find the Gen 2 Starters to be rather boring. They had such bad movesets for so long. Hell, they still have terrible movesets. Being mono-types doesn't help much, either. Typhlosion is a mess with its move options, Meganium is way too defensive a Pokémon and not even a good defensive Pokémon at that, and Feraligatr does nothing Gyarados can't do four times better.

I definitely agree with you, because while I think they're not badly designed they did get the short end of the stick with stat arrangements. Feraligatr probably got the best treatment out of them but as you said, tends to be outclassed by other Water-types.

People do question the Unova starters as well since they are terrible in competitive and don't seem to have anything unique to them type-wise, but at least their designs are not all that bad. Serperior also felt like a Meganium 2.0 but Contrary did help redeem it, even if its movepool ended up almost as bad as Meganium's.

Years
    • Seen Feb 3, 2021
    - I like the Vanillite line, because it's ice cream and it fits the Ice Type perfectly. In my playthroughs I tend to use a Vanilluxe as my Dragon Buster.

- The Trubbish line has a good design. I mean, Trubbish is a trash bag, so it fits the Poison type perfectly.

- From my view Mega Evolution shouldn't have been created. It destroyed Gen 6 for me story-wise (likes to drag and glorifizes Mega Evolution which pisses me off) and the ones who get one Mega Evolution tends to be one popular one who's also maybe overrated (I'm looking to such ones like Charizard, Mewtwo, Guardevoir and Lucario. Pidgeot, Altaira and Audino are okay for me)

- The nostalgia pandering for Kanto is too much and Gen 1 tends to be overrated because of that pandering! I may be a fan since Gen 1, but Kanto is actually boring and monotone for today's standards from my perspective.

- Alola Forms are great, but the opponurity was missed due only giving Kanto Pokémon one. Just because of pandering despite I like Alolan Raichu... I would have seen more Alolan Formes for other generations such as Sinnoh Pokémon.

- I'm okay with Pokémon based after inanimate objects. It makes part of the fun which base served for this specific Pokémon.

- I don't like the Sinnoh games, because... the region felt lifeless for me (maybe due tile palettes or soundtrack being old-fashionated). I like the mythology through.

- Glaceon feels being overshadowed by Vaporeon even I like both. And Sylveon happens to be my least-favorite due unneccesary details (the ribbons... really?)

- I enjoyed GSC more than HGSS. HGSS has many problems for me such as the bad level curve, "incomplete" Pokédex (where's my Togekiss?), the Kimono Girls plot (I can catch the legendary even without noticed! I don't like being forced!) and... there's Lyra. I like Kris more.

- Oshawott and Popplio are good. The first evolves to a samurai-like sea lion, the other to a singing mermaid. And I like both of them, simply they touched my heart.

- Super Mystery Dungeon is overrated. I hated the partner, mostly because the story surrounds over him/her and the twist in the ending as well the whole epilogue are just here to give pity to him/her. And a limited amount of missions isn't really a Mystery Dungeon for me anymore. I prefer Rescue Team for the open postgame and Explorers for the story.

- I enjoyed the Sun & Moon anime more than XY (has maybe to do with my dislike for Kalos). Because... it's just fun and I like to bet if Bewear will "rescue" Team Rocket again.

Last edited:

thedestinedblade

Radiant Cool Boy
    Years
  • People do question the Unova starters as well since they are terrible in competitive and don't seem to have anything unique to them type-wise, but at least their designs are not all that bad. Serperior also felt like a Meganium 2.0 but Contrary did help redeem it, even if its movepool ended up almost as bad as Meganium's.

I like the Unova starter designs, and I think their stat spread is fine. I just wish they had given us some different typings. Samurott shoulda been Water/Fighting at the very least.

classiccartoonsftw

Nintendo is for awesome people
    Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2017
    I like the Unova starter designs, and I think their stat spread is fine. I just wish they had given us some different typings. Samurott shoulda been Water/Fighting at the very least.
    I agree that Samurott should've been Water/Fighting. Also, I think Emboar shouldn't have been Fire/Fighting, but rather Fire/Dark or Fire/Ground. As for Serperior, I think it should've been Grass/Dragon, though Grass/Dark would've been cool too.

Years
  • I agree that Samurott should've been Water/Fighting. Also, I think Emboar shouldn't have been Fire/Fighting, but rather Fire/Dark or Fire/Ground. As for Serperior, I think it should've been Grass/Dragon, though Grass/Dark would've been cool too.

I can feel the reason where the Unova starters fell flat was because they gained no unique types, and while I personally don't find the designs that bad, the lack of uniqueness is why they are hated and tend to place lowest on most fave starters lists.

Years
  • Perhaps a super unpopular opinion: I feel like the Unova starters are my least favourite set of starters. Don't get me wrong, I don't have a strong dislike of any of them in particular except for maybe Emboar, but none of them... really click for me. I remember in BW's heyday when the starters were about to be revealed and then the so called (back then anyway) "Smugleaf"'s final evolution was revealed and... I would be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed to some degree.

Nowadays, I mean, I like Serperior and its pre-evolutions, don't get me wrong, but Serperior took some time to grow on me, and even then most Grass starters I'd say are more preferable.

Samurott I'm not a huge fan of at all.

Emboar is just ridiculous.

I can't see it as an unpopular opinion since I feel the Unova starters are hated a lot, and I know it because of where they tend to place in fave starter polls.

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
    Years
  • Whelp, time for some ranting

- Sorry but I disagree with the user who said BW2 had the best plot. I don't hate BW2's plot or whatnot, it's just that I didn't find it particularly interesting or anything. I don't see it as an unpopular opinion either, at least to me.

- I do like Samurott, but I find it's stats a bit questionable. It hits relatively hard on both sides which is a plus, but 60 base speed, really? I don't have a problem with most slow mons, but Samurott wasn't particularly bulky for my liking, and being combined with the fact it's ridiculously slow didn't help. Swampert and Empoleon both have 60 base speed too, but then both of them are still relatively tanky, not just typing wise but stat wise as well. Well of course, I still like Samurott because I still think it looks cool and I do at least like it more than Blastoise. I just wished that it was faster or at least bulkier as opposed to having most of it's stats come from it's offences.

- Out of all the gen7 starter's forms, I like the final forms the most. I've never understood why many people found it a step down from the middle forms. I found the final forms to all have interesting unique concepts/designs compared to the bland middle forms, honestly.

- I don't mind the fact that gen7 introduced a lot of non-evolvers.

- I don't see anything wrong with inanimate object mons at all.

- And FINALLY, the least popular of them all...
    Spoiler:

I'm really sorry if anybody reading this got offended with these opinions except the last one, i had a lot of fun typing it down as I don't intent to start a fight with anyone here.

LadyLucina

Together We Ride
    Years
  • I'd have to say Gen 5 was a bit ridiculous with options to grind in Black and White, and not in the best ways. To this day I still haven't beaten the game because I can't make it through the Elite 4.

Years
  • 1. I always choose the second version of Pokemon games. (Blue instead of Red, Silver instead of Gold , Etc.)

2. My favorite generations are 4 & 5

3. I chose Popplio

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    1. What happens if you take out anything noteworthy from RBY? You get the gen 2 postgame.
    2. If the first thing that comes to your mind when someone mentions competitive battling is IVs/EVs and breeding, then please never try playing competitively.
    3. People who complain about difficulty/not enough postgame/the story not being to their liking/etc. don't know how to play the game.
    Bonus: people clearly don't know what "unpopular opinion" actually means.

Unpopular enough? :)

Years
    • Seen Mar 11, 2018
    Let me see...

1. Gen V is meh. Not really good, not really bad. Its faults and positives pretty much balance out. Among my complaints is that I feel forced into choosing Oshawott or Tepig because of how terrible Snivy is. I want variety, even though I do think that Samurott is awesome.

2. I think the only really good Pikaclones are Plusle and Minun, by simply being reasonably unique. It's kinda clever how the new (at the time) mechanic of abilities were used with them. Something similar was attempted with Dedenne, being part Fairy, but it didn't work as well. I honestly like the two a bit more than Pikachu, likely because Pikachu is overexposed, being the mascot and all.

3. I like the Klink line, and the main reason why I don't use it is because I end up using the Magnemite line instead.

4. Gen IV jumped from being mediocre to being good when Platinum was released, and got just a little better still with HGSS. It's honestly a pretty solid generation if you ignore Diamond & Pearl and how slow the Sinnoh games are. For some reason, HGSS seems faster.

5. Popplio is awesome, in design, moveset, and end typing. Fairy is still deadly; not quite as much as Dragon used to be, but still amazing to have on a starter.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back