• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Until my Finest Hour (R)

Abrogate Nadir

Obscure Shipper
Years
  • Hello all. I'm a new member here and thought I'd post my story from FF.net here for those who might prefer reading it here. There are 2 chapters so far. The third is done but is being beta'd at the moment. I'll say beforehand that it takes place in the future when Ash is 19.

==========================================================

Cloudless grey skies hung over one of Celadon city's slums, where on the rooftop of a long abandoned building, one man sat with paper and pen in hand. On the streets below him, there were few people moving about—most had gone to the more prosperous areas in search of hand outs to pay for their night's meal.

At age nineteen, Ash was a good two heads taller than he had been in his youth, with broader shoulders and a more developed frame. This remained hidden beneath his loose fitting grey hoodie and matching sweatpants.

With his back to a cracked old chimney, Ash set a crumpled paper against the stone roof and lightly tapped at it with his pen. He thought of what to write. The words didn't come so easy. Somewhere in the background a crazy man was shouting gibberish. He was ignored with frightening ease.

"How should I start?" Ash said, turning to his long-time companion.

A shroud of orange fur nestled by Ash's side uncurled itself, swaying its thin tail along the covering as it stood. Raichu slanted its head to the side attentively before bringing his hand to his heart. "Rai," was all it said. That was one of the few things it could say, for Pokemon had a language all their own; one which relied on hard to catch gestures, changes in the tone of voice, and so much more.

But after so many years, Ash understood his friend like he would any other. The young man smirked as he set a gloved hand on his old grey toque—only small bits of his deep black hair stuck out from it. "From the heart, huh? Alright, I'll give that a try," Ash said, and with a long breath, he started to write, letting the words flow freely out of him:

Dear May,

It's been a while since I've written you. More than a year, if I remember. I'll bet you've sent your share of letters to me, but I'm not really able to receive them anymore. As you might have guessed, I come and go from place to place. For the longest time, I haven't had a fixed address. That isn't such a bad thing, I guess. That and the fact that I'm always on the move makes it near impossible for me to be drafted.

I hope you and Max are doing well. Maybe it's seemed like I've forgotten about you in all this time, but I really haven't. I think about the people I've traveled with everyday. When I think about you, I remember all the contests I've seen you enter. I think of someone who went from a newbie to a capable trainer in record time. I think of an important friend whom I miss dearly.

How much have you heard about the war between Kanto and Johto? I'm glad you aren't caught up in this.

Anyways…

What have I been doing with my time? Maybe not as much as I could be. This whole war came out of left-field, and as I tried to make sense of it all—who started it, what was true and what was fabricated, why the war continues—I came up short. The whole thing felt like a dream, so far-removed from reality…but when I saw people die before my eyes, all these things I've done, I don't know.

And I still have no idea just how much Team Rocket and these other shady groups play in. It's funny, isn't it? Everytime there

Ash abruptly stopped writing and mulled over what had been put to ink thus far. He sighed. It started out alright, but now it's just a dark, garbled mess, he thought. Ash scoffed and sent the pen away with the flick of a wrist. The paper became a crumpled ball in his hands. He was ready to toss that to the ground too, when Raichu's tail suddenly wrapped around his wrist.

"Chu," Raichu scolded.

"Maybe I was gonna stick it in my pocket and work on it later?" Ash said. Raichu shook his head with a deepened frown, and Ash chuckled. "You're right. I was gonna throw it away,"

Ash rose to his full height and packed the unfinished paper in the pockets of his hoodie. As he approached the edge of the rooftop, he took a moment to survey the area and ponder what was to be done with the day. From below, the dank air and scent of garbage reached him. He made a face. One thing's for certain: I shouldn't hang around here any longer, he had decided. A quick assessment of his pockets told him he had just enough change for a coffee and muffin.

"Wanna split a muffin with me, buddy?" Ash said with a smile.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Following a quick change of scenery, Ash found himself in a more respectable area of Celadon. It was hardly the place where moneymakers spent their time, but it wasn't so grim that one had to constantly watch their back. Never the less, he kept one hand in his pocket, guarding the small bit of money he had possessively.

Raichu strolled along at Ash's side. With the creature's evolution—one which he decided on all on his own—the days where he would so freely ride on the head or shoulder of his owner were long gone. Team Rocket had always been out to get him in his days as a Pikachu, claiming his power went well beyond what could normally be associated with his species. If that were true, then how much might they want him now? As Raichu stood now, his power at full blast could rightfully be classed as a Weapon of Mass Destruction.

But oddly, Ash hadn't crossed paths with that bungling trio of criminals in years now. Not that he minded.

As soon as Ash rounded a corner on to the next street, he found it much more active. It'd been some time since he was last in this city, but if he remembered properly, this was the main road that passed through all districts of the city. Market stands were set up on either side of the street and ran the whole way through so people might profit from the goings-on. Ash didn't much care about that—he just wanted to find a nice place to eat.

Raichu's tail brushing Ash's leg pulled him away from his musings. To anyone nearby who heard the Pokemon speak, he had only said his name a few times: Ash broke through that language barrier and heard the words for what they were.

"Everyone must be worried about you. Are you going to finish those letters? Maybe we can go visit someone?"

Ash pinched the bridge of his nose. The subject of other people wasn't one of his favorite topics, but he supposed it was unavoidable. "I'll…" Ash began, but he stopped in mid stride.

Collective murmurs of surprise came from a near by crowd, just half a block down from where Ash stood. With so many people in one place, they formed a human wall that obscured whatever the commotion was all about.

Ash had learned to follow his instincts early in life—and his instincts told him something bad was about to happen. He briefly glanced at Raichu. "Let's go see," he said, and with that he moved at a pace barely faster than a walk.

Celadon city was surrounded by a towering wall that had been erected early on in the city's birth. There were six gates in all from which people could enter and leave. Celadon was a high traffic city because of its prosperous shopping district. Ash remembered all of this his first time here, when Misty read off a complimentary pamphlet they'd been given at the time.

Ash casually slipped in through the outer edges of the crowd, past workers and business men, youths and the elderly. His plain, unimpressive clothing people had often equated to that of a hobo's made him inconspicuous enough, and before long he was mingling at the forefront of the group. Small homes, market stands, and parked cars lined the street leading up to the open gate ahead. Ash surveyed the scene.

It was a good ten paces ahead of the crowed—a lone woman stood before two men. From where he stood, Ash could see her shoulder length indigo hair and a lightly tinted kimono with detailed flower designs. She was a slender woman and the outfit ran nicely along her curves.

As for the men, one was a taller, lanky man, and the other buff and square-faced. Both wore the same outfit—a waist length tan jacket overlapping dark gear. Ash idly wondered why all the hoodlums he met were so lacking in fashion.

"What's going on?" he said to any near him who would answer. His eyes never left the scene.

"Those two guys have been giving the gym leader some trouble lately. Officer Jenny told them they weren't to come in to the city anymore, but, well…"

"Erika's trying to talk them in to leaving, but they don't seem open to reason…"

"One of them slapped her! Can you believe that?"

"Just who are they anyways?"

The people continued to talk amongst themselves, but no one would step forward to help her. Erika, Ash mused. He knew that name.

One of the men shrugged as though calm, but his face was plainly red. "Really, Erika…you're making a pretty big fuss. Why don't you come with us somewhere and we can talk this out like rational adults?"

"I'll go no where with you," Erika said firmly. The men glared, but she held her ground.

The larger man drew his arm back and let loose. The sound of his open hand ringing across Erika's face seemed to echo amidst the silence. Ash glanced over his shoulder and found that the onlookers had grown in number.

But still no one would help her.

"I think you should re-consider," the large one all but growled.

Erika rubbed her cheek briskly, squared her shoulders, and stared back with unwavering resolve. "My answer remains the same,"

Once the man drew his hand back again, Ash knew he could stay hidden no longer. With no further hesitation, he pushed through the crowd in to open space. The pair noticed his entry, and the one man's hand lowered. It seemed they were sizing him up.

"Get lost, street trash," the slimmer man scoffed.

"I wonder if there's some way we could work this out without things getting any uglier," Ash questioned aloud. Another two steps and he was close enough to strike or to be struck. "For example, you guys could turn around and go back the way you came?"

Both men's expressions darkened and for all the casualty Ash placed behind his voice, the adrenaline was really starting to flow. He could see the whitening of knuckles, the clenching of teeth—someone was going to get hurt. The question was; would this be settled with blows or with Pokemon?

"I appreciate what you're trying to do, but you shouldn't get involved with these people," Erika frowned.

Ash ignored her.

The bigger man unexpectedly lunged. Instinct took over prompting Ash to step back and place himself outside of the man's reach. When the blow hit air, the man took on boxing footwork and prepared to weave in closer—he was surprisingly fast for his size.

An orange streak swiftly came in from the side and Raichu barred the man's path. Its tail flashed like silver and whipped at the ground by his feet, shattering concrete. The man staggered and only remained on his feet with his partner's support.

"You little shit…" he huffed. "So you want a Pokemon battle? I'm game,"

The sleek thug stepped in, a Pokeball now within his grasp. "Count me in. You should have minded your business, gutter worm,"

Any crowd there had been was quick to flee in terror with those words—shouting, cursing, the sounds of dozens upon dozens of feet collectively stamping pavement—these were the things Ash heard, and in little time, it was just four people and a Pokemon standing on an empty street.

With so many people dying these days, I guess you can't say 'Pokemon battle' without people assuming the worst, Ash thought. He gave Raichu a silent nod. I don't need to win. All I need to do is battle until the police get here…but at the same time, I can't be here when they are.

A set of Pokeballs flew through the air. Before they touched the ground, both men had reeled back to make some distance for the coming battle. Raichu stepped forward—sparks of electricity crackled along his cheeks.

Erika's eyes narrowed. "If it's come to this, I'll be battling as well. Let's support each other," she said to Ash.

For a moment Ash found himself blinded by the three separate flashes of light. His vision was quick to focus on the newly summoned Pokemon: an Arbok and Machoke set to battle Raichu and Tangegrowth.

At its trainers command, Arbok made a dive underground, tearing through hardened cement like it were tissue paper. Gone from sight, Ash focused on the Machoke for now. He trusted Raichu's reflexes to deal with the lilac serpent's eventual resurfacing.

"Quick attack," Ash spoke softly.

Raichu's ears perked and in seconds it appeared behind the Machoke, colliding in to its backside with considerable force. The burly Pokemon faltered but before it could regain its balance, a dozen vine whips rained down hard, each one leaving behind swells.

"Thunderbolt,"

A surge of electricity flowed through the air around Raichu. With a sardonic grin, it stared the Machoke down.

Hastily, Raichu flung its tail at the ground, using the momentum to push itself upward. The site where he once stood erupted as Arbok broke through. A string of poisonous needles hit nothing but air. Raichu turned mid-flight and released his attack, guiding the electrical current to its mark.

A low hiss rang through the battlefield accompanied by the sounds of the terrain being stripped by lightning.

Before Raichu could land, the Machoke drove a hand in to the street and flung his arm outward, sending chunks of roadside flying.

"Your vines!" Erika shouted.

By means of an extended arm, Tangegrowth released a flow of vines to pull Raichu from the line of fire. The concrete continued onward, shattering house windows and knocking a wooden door off its hinges.

This is getting out of hand, Ash winced as a failed Cross-chop knocked a street light into a fruit stand. I could end this right now if I ordered a high-end electrical attack, but the damage…and someone could die.

For a second, Ash took his eyes off the skirmish to check on Erika. The woman's eyes were hard, unsettled, but no less determined.

Arbok slithered low, its scales marred by electrical burns and a faint smoke trailing behind it. At the words Poison Sting, it stiffened upright and sent out wave after wave at anything near it.

Ash clenched his fist. These guys were serious.

"Raichu, quick attack then iron tail!"

The electric mouse made a strait beeline for Arbok, only slightly altering course when a needle came his way. They struck at the ground and bounced off, never hitting their mark. Raichu struck with a quickened tackle and followed with an iron tail to the side of Arbok's skull. The strength of the combined attacks sent the creature coiling along the damaged road until it lay still and unmoving.

"Damn!" the lanky man cursed.

Ash was ready to turn his sights back on the Machoke but it had already been wrapped in vines. A tinge of orange spores sifted through the air around the herculean mass of muscle. The fighting type swayed on its feet, eyes gradually closing until it dropped just as surely as Arbok had.

The battle was over and in more ways than one.

The two men recalled their Pokemon and glared at Ash and his 'companion'. Both looked ready to send out replacements when sirens rand rapidly from afar, loud and clear and seemingly from every direction. Between the panic of the citizens and the destruction of property, one could be sure that a formidable police force was sent out.

"This isn't over, you hear me?" the gruff man spat just short of Ash's feet. "We'll come back!"

Ash only needed to see the duo of thugs begin their retreat before they became the furthest thing from his mind. The police sirens were drawing ever closer. Erika sighed and rubbed at her eyes.

"Young man, thank you for—"

Ash made a hasty grab for Erika's wrist and jerked her along at his side. "Forget that. Come with me," he said. If he had been looking, he would have seen the woman's eyes go wide with a mixture of surprise and fear.

Raichu followed closely behind—his protests went ignored.

"Let go of me," Erika commanded. She tried to pull her hand free but Ash's grip was ironclad. "I said let go!"

And it was with those words, in the middle of a dark and ominous alleyway, that Ash realized he was scaring this kind and gentle woman out of her wits. She might think I'm trying to kidnap her or something, he sighed.

Ash released his grip and Erika drew back.

"Who are you? More than just a name, if you please,"

Ash gazed over Erika's shoulder, down the alleyway. By now he would see red and blue lights flickering. Time was against him.

"I'm not out to hurt you or make you do anything you don't want to do. But I don't want to be found and I don't want you pointing the police my way. Please, just come with me. We'll go to a nice little coffee shop and I'll explain myself. Is that alright?" Ash said.

Erika pursed her lips and reluctantly agreed.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

The further away Ash got from that scene, the more at peace he felt. But when he thought about it, it was troubling: it wasn't the signs of destruction or the raw sense of danger that put him in a state of panic: it was the possibility of being arrested for instigating an illegal Pokemon battle within the city. A child who didn't know better could get away with a scolding and a slap on the wrist, but he was an adult now and with tensions as high as they are these days, there was little doubt the book would be thrown at him for this one—even if he had been trying to help someone.

Ash took a good long sip of coffee. It was hot as hell and bitter as a woman scorned, but he had acquired a taste for it. Apart from him, Erika absent-mindedly dabbed a teabag in her mug.

The place he had chosen was an unassuming, low-key restaurant. You wouldn't have to look far to find better coffee. The bakery items weren't freshly made either, but rather, pre-wrapped items fit to be stuffed in a vending machine. Ash found himself enjoying these sorts of places since his transition in to homeless status.

A single waitress shuffled around from table to table. Most were empty, but plates and napkins left behind by earlier patrons had yet to be cleared. At the tableside, Raichu nibbled contently at his muffin half.

"I was wondering why no one would step up against those guys, but I guess I know now," Ash commented. "Not only are they the violent type, they have well-trained Pokemon. Well enough, anyways,"

"It's as you say," Erika nodded. Already her face was passive and her voice like a relaxing melody. "As the Celadon city gym leader, I'm often viewed as a trainer of great caliber. I suspect those men from earlier are part of a criminal organization looking to bring in talented trainers. You may have guessed, but this isn't the first time they've come,"

Ash hummed thoughtfully—and as he often did—brushed his hand along his rough, unshaven face.

"I'd like to know your name now," Erika went on. "I think I made a mistake in following you. I've fled a crime scene. There will surely be consequences, both to myself as a person and as a gym leader."

Ash shrugged in his seat.

"If that's how you feel, why don't you say that you ran? That I was the one who battled them, and it wasn't 'fleeing the scene' because you were never there when the battle took place?"

Erika's cast an unamused look at that suggestion. The way her bottom lip stuck out gave the young woman a pouty look—it was hard not to snicker.

"Sorry," Ash said with barely concealed amusement.

Still, Ash's mood began to sink upon the realization that he was obligated to reveal himself. He's put her in a troublesome situation, and as much as he was watching her back earlier, she was looking out for him too. Ash sighed and leaned forward in his seat, setting both hands on top of his toque.

"My name is Ash Ketchum. I've met you twice. The first time was when I was ten. I came through this city and battled you for a badge. Do you remember? I called your perfume a stinky, smelly rip off. Speaking of which, I can smell your perfume now, and its way too potent. It makes me kind of nauseous. But I'm getting side tracked here,"

Ash coughed and shook his head.

"The second time I met you was when I returned from the last league I ever entered. I was fifteen at the time and was only in the city for a few days, but I saw you with another girl at the Pokemon center. You had injured her Pokemon when she challenged you and you wanted to be there with her while it was being treated. We never talked, but that was the last time I saw you. So…I'm not some creep. I'm just someone who met you a long time ago and recognized you today,"

By the time he had finished, Erika's expression had gone through a few subtle changes, like realization or recognition. Ash wanted to distract himself now: how long would it be before she started making comparisons between how he had been and what he is now?

Seconds, apparently.

"I remember you," Erika said slowly. "I saw you that second time, too. I wanted to say something, but when I went to go say hello, you had already left if I recall. You look different,"

Ash made a face.

"Your clothes, they're wrinkled. You've been in them for days, haven't you? And your face, it doesn't look like you've bothered to shave in a while," Erika went on, fixing her gaze on Ash's head. "If you took that toque off…"

"My hair would be a mess," Ash answered. "If I had to explain why in short form, the answer would be…this war between Kanto and Johto, along with all the sinister groups that popped up along the way. They cost me my hometown,"

Erika's eyes widened. "Your hometown? …Pallet?" just then she remembered Ash's words from so many years ago: that he was a trainer from Pallet town who was going to be a Pokemon master. She also remembered news about that same town from over a year ago:

The details weren't entirely clear, but Pallet Town had been reduced to rubble in a single night, along with the lab on its outskirts. Some said it was a surprise attack performed by Johto to instill fear, to make people think that even in a small, backwater little town, they weren't safe. Others had said it was Team Rocket, or Team Magma, or Team Galaxy. No, others insisted they saw Pokemon acting all on their own, without instruction. Whatever the truth might have been, no human survived that night.

As for the Pokemon from the lab, it was said that those who escaped scattered across the region—most in search of their trainers.

Erika's hand rose to her cheek. "Oh no…then, that would make you…"

Ash stuffed the last piece of muffin in his mouth, downed the remainder of his coffee, and rose swiftly from his seat. A handful of change left on the table would pay for his order. With that, he tugged at his toque and slipped his hands into his pockets.

"It's been nice catching up, Erika. Raichu and I have to get going. Take care, alright?"

As Ash turned for the door, Erika stood from her seat, arm outstretched. She wanted to catch his sleeve—to drag him back to the table and give him words of comfort. But how do you comfort someone who lost their home and family?

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Ash found himself back on the streets again, but he wasn't going back to the slums. In more ways than one, his meeting with Erika today had been a hassle. But some good had come from it.

"I know what we can do, buddy. We're going to see some visit some old friends, starting at Pewter city," Ash said.

Raichu's expression brightened and all too suddenly, Ash felt the weight of his partner resting on his back. He chuckled and hooked his arms under Raichu's legs to he could carry him along piggy-back style.

"What made you change your mind?"

Ash smirked weakly. "It wasn't too pleasant, having Erika size me up and make assumptions. It was especially unpleasant when I all but said I'm the only person from Pallet Town left. But while all that was happening, I also started to feel better…you know, like a tiny weight had been lifted of my shoulders. It won't be great, but I think I owe it to my old friends to see how they are and let them know that I'm alright."

While his pockets were nearly bare, Ash hadn't forgotten about his letter either. But I think I will throw it out. When the time comes, I'll come see you in person, May.

For Erika it was an unpleasant walk home. As though the day's events with her would-be captors weren't bad enough, this business with Ash Ketchum was playing heavy on her conscience.

True, she didn't know him well, but she felt for him, pitied him for his situation, and wanted to reach out and give her support. She was prosperous enough to pull him out from poverty. I should have run after him, Erika sighed. The entire scene kept playing over in her mind. It was in a perpetual loop.

"Pardon me, young lady…" came a raspy voice.

Erika gave a start and quickly spun around to find an elderly man watching her from behind. Grey haired and dressed in a navy blue suit, the gentleman hobbled closer. One hand sported a walking cane, but his grip appeared weak in a hand that trembled from what may have been arthritis.

"Pardon me, I didn't mean to frighten you, Lady Erika," the aged man said, offering an apologetic tip of his top hat. "I heard some unsettling things about you; you see…I'm just relieved to see that you're alright."

Erika bowed politely. "Thank you for your concern, sir. I'm alright, thanks to one young man."

The senior nodded and began tapping the end of his cane against the ground. "Yes, yes…a young man. But, my lady, I am worried. Where you by chance returning to your gym?"

"Yes, sir. Is everything alright?" Erika questioned.

The old man shook his head.

"I don't think you should be anywhere near that gum right now,"

"Pardon me? Why not, sir?"

An explosion suddenly rocked the city, so loud, so plainly visible that anyone within its walls would have known something happened. Another blast rang, then another, all from the same place—fire continued to rise towards the sky, convoyed by deathly black smoke so thick it could choke a person within seconds.

Erika watched the entire spectacle with wide eyes, knowing full well where that explosion came from. Suddenly it was hard to stand. Her knees felt weak. Her mind became dull and unfocused.

"The…gym…"

Amidst the commotion, the screams and pointing fingers, a powerful pair of arms grabbed at Erika, and before she could think to fight back, a wet rag covered her mouth.

And the overwhelming scent of chloroform robbed her of consciousness.

Last edited:

Abrogate Nadir

Obscure Shipper
    Years
  • chapter 2

It took some time before Erika stirred in her chair, only vaguely aware of herself. The fog clouding her mind began to lift. Intelligible thoughts were still grains of sand that slipped through her fingers. She was surprised to find herself in a dimly lit room. It was dark and dust seemed to linger in the air, never settling.

Erika blinked—and suddenly she remembered everything. All too quickly the world seemed to spin around her. Erika squeezed her eyes shut and tried to will it all away like a bad dream.

I've been bound and gagged, Erika realized. She tugged at her wrists and tried to pull her ankles apart, but to no avail; the rope was thick and expertly tied. Several additional coils wrapped around her body kept her pinned to the chair.

There was a creak from the corner where a lone man stood from his seat. A single lamp set on the desk nearby gave the room light, and Erika could see well enough to recognize the clothing. The supposedly elderly man had been wearing it.

Erika's heart began to race—she fidgeted nervously in her chair, unable to do anything but make muffled cries of dissent. When the man finally loomed over her, it took courage to look up and stare him in the eyes.

"Take it easy," the man said, but in a voice that sounded nothing like before. It was higher pitched, even bordering on feminine. Erika noted how different he looked too. There were no wrinkles or graying hair, there was no limp to his step and no cane in his hand—what she saw was a younger person, with long strands of indigo hair and eyes to match.

Her kidnapper began to pace back and forth as he spoke—his words came quickly.

"I didn't blow up your gym. It was the group that tried to recruit you. You made it clear you wouldn't join them, so they were going to kill you and take your Pokemon," He said. "I thought that might happen, so I called in a bomb threat. The gym should have been evacuated. They did that thinking you'd be inside. Do you understand?"

Erika nodded slowly. If nothing else, one fear had been put to rest. No one should have been hurt. But in exchange for that knowledge came the burden of knowing there were people out to kill her.

"My name is James. This group, they call themselves 'Oz'. It's short for 'Origin Zero'. Wonderful name huh? I don't even know what it stands for. What do you think?"

Erika worked her lips, still gagged. She might have feigned amusement if her situation weren't so dire.

The creaking chair was set before Erika along with a radio that looked to be at least a decade old. James had to fiddle with the knobs and make small adjustments before anything more than static could be heard. Then, as James sat, the voice of a smarmy news anchor speaking in dramatic overtones filled the otherwise soundless room.

"—and it seems there were no causalities, thanks in part to an anonymous tip. The investigation is still underway and we're here live, speaking to those who witnessed this tragedy firsthand…"

The radio played for a few minutes and James did nothing but listen, sporadically tapping his foot against the floorboards or glancing Erika's way to gauge her expression.

"—breaking developments in this story: while the investigation has yet to be concluded, evidence at the scene is now suggesting that Johto was behind this act of terror.

In addition, witnesses say that earlier in the day, two unknown men approached the city's gym leader and attempted to abduct her. One of those men has since been arrested and confessed to having ties to the Johto Special Operations Division.

And: Authorities are now offering a reward for information leading to the safe return of Celadon gym leader Erika, or to the identity of the person responsible for the earlier bomb threat.

Previous statements from Officer Jenny—"

And that was the last Erika heard before James turned the radio off. The man leaned back in his chair with an expression turned grim.

"Remember what you've been hearing and keep that in mind when I say this," he said. "Oz has people working in the Kanto government,"

Erika's eyebrows climbed at the allegation, and if she could be more vocal she would have called such a claim ludicrous.

"It's true. Eighteen months ago, me and a handful of others, we knew government offices were going to be attacked. We were only trying to find our boss. Cassidy made it into his computer…there were files sent to him, we still don't know who they're from, but that's how we knew," James shook his head, his voice became uneven. "We might not have been model citizens, but we didn't want a war! So we forwarded those files to the government's office and not only did they do nothing, they traced it back and came after us! And Jessie, she…!"

By now, James was on his feet with one fist trembling at his side. Erika stared up at him, torn between the lingering hatred at having been kidnapped and pitying the man for losing someone.

But whatever diversions she was having, that all took an aside when Erika went back, back to the claim that this Oz group had moles buried under government ground.

Is this really true? She wondered. Then she went back to the news from earlier. Then it's possible that once I'm found, I'd be…no, that can't be! But…But she hasn't been gone that long—not long enough to be declared missing. Yet people are still scrambling to find her, and James too.

James took a deep breath and fell back into his chair with the force of a tired man on dead feet. The unease was mostly gone from his voice, but his eyes remained shut.

"I don't want you hurt. If I did, I'd just let you go and everything would take care of itself. I brought you here because I wanted you out of sight. I had to make you be quiet and listen," James clarified.

"Mmph," Erika mumbled, and she leaned forward, hoping James would know to take the tape off her mouth.

"Don't scream," James said.

The tape came off in one single motion, a giant rip that made her want to yelp. She cleared her throat and tried to keep her voice calm.

"If you don't want to hurt me, then what do you want from me?" Erika questioned.

James answered simply. "I want you to come with me. I'm working with a handful of old Rockets. They're all looking for our old boss. I don't know how, not yet, but his vanishing is definitely connected to 'Origin Zero',"

"Rockets? Were you from Team Rocket?" Erika said, but she shook her head. "Never mind that, you said your comrades were looking for this person, but what are you looking for?"

"Answers," James said in monotone. An unreadable look came over him for a moment. "If you worked with us, you'd get answers too. Like what this war is really about. And hey, if nothing else you'd be safe, right? You wouldn't be the first Gym leader they've killed, you know…"

Erika swallowed a lump in her throat but kept her composure smooth. This is all too much! I can't just accept everything this man has told me, but I can't risk endangering others by staying here either! Is there any proper choice for me to make? She thought. Those thoughts wandered for some time, the whole while James sat back and watched her.

"I…" she bit her lip.

"Yes?" James leaned forward expectantly.

"I refuse to join you or your group."

"What?! Did you not hear anything I've been saying?"

"I did."

"And?"

"And…maybe I will leave Kanto with my Pokemon, but nothing more. If you really aren't a bad person, then you will respect my decision!" Erika shouted.

James recoiled at her glare and began tugging at his color.

"Alright," he sighed dejectedly. "I'll take you to Fuchsia City, and if you still want to leave Kanto by then, I won't stop you,"

Erika closed her eyes and held her chin high.

"I'll hold you to your word, Mister James. Now untie me, please and thank you,"

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To Ash, the sky was a wonderful thing: open to all and spanning as far as the eye could see. It was from these heights that bodies of water, mountains and forests could be crossed with ease. It was from these heights that entire cities and the people in them seemed small and insignificant. In one word, the sky was freedom.

To Raichu, traveling the sky was as unnatural as a purely rock type Pokemon deep-sea diving. While he refused to hide in his Pokeball, the sky was not for him, and if the sheer force of the wind suddenly threw him off Charizard, it wouldn't be the first time. Raichu leaned in closer and wrapped his tail around Ash's body for added comfort. Mice weren't supposed to fly.

Pewter city steadily entered site. Ash smiled weakly. Admittedly, some of his resolve in meeting old friends face to face was beginning to stagger.

Bah, he thought, and with a shake of his head, he leaned in close and gave Charizard a pat on the neck.

"That's it there!" he shouted—and he had to shout, or his voice wouldn't carry.

Charizard snorted in reply and began its gradual descent. The closer Pewter came, the lower he would fly, until Ash could recognize buildings and point out landmarks. Although the gym was still far away, it stuck out like a sore thumb because of its sheer size. It looked momentous.

A strong gust of wind touched ground as Charizard landed. The waft swept outward, scurrying dry leaves and litter across the ground in all directions. Raichu was quick to scramble onto the ground and sing praises for their flight's end.

Ash chuckled and slipped his hands into his pockets. No money. I really should have done more jobs on the way over, he sighed. Between his own skills and those of his Pokemon, it was seldom hard to find someone willing to pay for help. It wasn't much, but it was always enough to keep him and the small team that remained with him fed.

There was a thunderous, meaty thud as Charizard fell to the dirt. He grumbled—a deep sound like a long strip of cloth being slowly torn—and set his head on the soft patches of grass where they'd landed.

"Aha, so you are tired," Ash said with a grin. Charizard cracked one eye open and snorted haughtily. "Thanks for working so hard. Take a rest in your Pokeball, Charizard,"

Charizard gave one final yawn before his form vanished in a glimmer of lucent red. Ash shrunk the ball in his hand and set it on his belt with the other six. Then he made a face as he always did when his hands went anywhere near his belt.

Six Pokemon were the standard amount a trainer could travel with. Any others were kept at a licensed facility to be cared for until they were needed. The image of Professor Oak's ruined lab flashed before his eyes.

How many Pokemon died that day in Pallet? Ash often wondered, and he always answered with too many.

--------------------------------------------

At ground-level, Pewter looked and felt like a very different place. It was for more than the obvious reasons like distance. Only up close could someone see how edgy the people were, walking about like glass shards lined the roads. Ash mingled from street to street, and nearly everyone was the same. The fear was much stronger here than in the other cities and villages, and with good reason—this was a city that sat close to the border with Johto. Given its size, it made for a nice, easy target.

Ash figured that if he traveled west just a little more, he would find camps, soldiers, and Pokemon well-suited to heavy combat.

But when one ignored the reduced activity, the tense atmosphere, the occasional collapsed building, and that one street Ash passed where the entire road was full of cracks, rubble and piles of bricks…Pewter was otherwise the same boring old place. As interesting as a pet rock, Ash quipped.

One friend called this place home, so maybe there was something to love about this city.

On the start of a new street, Ash paused for a minute to collect him self. The gym stood in the expanse, seemingly untouched from the day he had come here. It was a dreary, unwelcoming structure tinted like stone. Ash remembered his first impression of Brock. Hardly a positive one—he acted like an arrogant jerk. But 'Gym Leader Brock' and 'Brock the person' were two very different people.

It didn't take long for Ash to figure that out, but he remembered one night where out of the blue he asked about that.

For a lot of people, the Boulder Badge is their first. It's important for trainers to understand early just how tough the road ahead is. If they can't get past me and the way I battle, I think it means they need more time and experience.

Those were Brock's words, and at the time, Ash didn't entirely agree.

"It brings back memories, doesn't it?" Raichu said.

"Yeah," Ash said, a ghost of a smile appearing on his face. "Let's go in, shall we?"

As expected, the interior was virtually unchanged. Ash shut the thick set of doors behind him and listened to the echo reverberate through the spacious hallways. Surely the sound reached the main chamber. The corridor leading in was long and damp. Stone pillars were spaced out on both sides, each holding a miniscule lamp on its side. The ground at Ash's feet was smooth but dusty and full of dirt from outsiders' shoes.

I wonder if the gym has a janitor, Ash pondered idly.

The entryway to the battling area was just ahead, but Raichu noticed Ash's steps begin to slow. It was still dark, but with his own enhanced vision, the Pokemon could see Brock sitting in wait, his legs crossed along a boulder with a flattened surface. It was hard to say if Ash could see him too, but whether he did or didn't, the man wasn't budging.

"Come on Ash, he'll be happy to see you,"

"Hmm…" Ash hummed, tucking his thumb into his mouth. "I bet I stink, what with wearing these clothes for so long. Maybe I should—"

"You're stalling," Raichu said bluntly.

The instant Ash saw the flickering sparks on Raichu's cheeks, he knew it was time to move. He tittered nervously with a little jump to his step.

The combat zone looked like any official one would: a giant rectangle outlined in white paint with boxes set for each opposing trainer and a pokeball set in the center. Ash clocked a lot of hours in the arena. He could tell you the standard dimensions of a battle field and the circumference of the center circle at command—one would think he'd recited it strait out of a textbook.

The moment Brock accepted a trainer's challenge, a completely new field would emerge, full of stones and boulders. Ash was used to specially designed fields too.

Up ahead, Brock lifted his head up from the ground and folded his arms, frowning at Ash like he was unimpressed.

"I thought you were going to stand there forever," he spoke harshly. His narrowed eyes wavered to Raichu for a moment before settling back on Ash. "I assume you're here to challenge me to a Gym Battle?"

Ash was surprised to find him self calm. He doesn't recognize me. Not that I blame him, he smirked.

"It's kind of a funny story," he said, making slight changes to his tone of voice. His hands ran along his clothes, as though looking for something he'd misplaced. "I won a Boulder Badge from you a while back, but I don't seem to have it on me."

Brock sneered. "Hmph. Sounds like a sorry attempt at getting a badge out of me without earning it,"

"Ash…" Raichu said warningly.

Ash laughed. "No, no, I really did win a badge from you. Let's see…I lost the first time, but the second time I beat you. Your Geodude beat Pidgeotto, then I chose Pikachu and he won. After that, your Onyx got a hold of him, and…hmmm, what happened after that…"

"Pikachu's thunder shock set off a water sprinkler," Brock said barely above a whisper. All of a sudden he went pale and gave Ash a look that went beyond a man who hadn't seen his friend in ages. Brock's entire gym leader persona fell to dust the moment he made the connection.

The dark toned man stood and began scrutinizing every last detail about Ash, and Raichu too.

"I thought you were dead," he said, and the shock robbed his tone of emotion, but Ash could tell he was shaken. It was a rare sight to see.

"Wait, what?!" Ash shouted. "Why would you think I was dead? I've written you a few times before, even after Pallet!"

"I've never had any letters from you, before or after what—what happened at Pallet," Brock said gently. "Ash, I'm sorry that—"

Ash overrode him.

"Forget that; let's get back to this letter thing! You've never received a letter from me? How can that be right? I really did write them! I tucked it in an envelope, I wrote down your address, and I'm sure it was right, I have it stored in my Pokedex memory, and I didn't write a return address or anything, but I sealed it shut and put it in a mailbox and everything!"

"Ash, calm down," Brock urged him, both hands raised. "…did you stamp your letters?"

Ash threw his arms in the air.

"Of course!"

"I don't know what to tell you, Ash. I never got any letters from you. No one did."

Ash's face went blank. He wanted to fall to the floor, pound his head against the stone and use all the colorful words he'd picked up within a week on the street.

"Oh," Ash said with forced laughter. "Whatever the problem was, I guess they wouldn't be returned to the sender, either. If that's how it is, then not just you, but everyone I've ever tried to mail thinks I'm…you know,"

"I'm afraid so," Brock affirmed, and promptly set both hands on Ash's shoulders. "I'm glad you two are alive. What have you been doing all this time?"

The entrance doors slammed shut signaling the arrival of another trainer. Ash watched Brock peer over his shoulder then pull back to trawl the inside of his olive flak jacket. Keys jingled together as he produced a small chain and dropped one of the detached keys into Ash's hand.

"Sorry Ash, I can't close down the gym just yet. That spare key will unlock my house. Why don't you make yourself at home until I get back? We really need to talk about this," Brock said.

Ash stared down at the key in his open palm then shrugged, slipping it into his pocket. "C'mon, buddy," he said to Raichu, and turned for the exit, giving a casual wave over his shoulder.

On the way out, Ash took a quick glance at the trainer set to challenge Brock; he was no more than ten years old—and his belt carried no more than three Pokemon.

"That boy's eyes look so hopeful. Really full of life," Ash whispered to Raichu with a bittersweet smile. "I think I envy him."

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

"Ash, how do you think I look now?"

Ash saw the hopeful look in his friend's eyes and he wanted to give her the answer she was looking for, but the question caught him by surprise. He scratched his cheek, dumb-founded as he stammered for a response.

"Well, you…um…look older. I guess that's kinda obvious, since it's been a while. Uh, and you look really cute in that outfit, and, er…"

"Ahh, no no!"

She laughed and waved her arms in the air, a small blush painting her cheeks.

"Not like that, silly! I meant do I look like a more capable trainer now. What did you think of my last performance?"

"Ohhh...right. Yeah, you've really improved. I was impressed. I bet you could give me a run for my money!"

She all but melted from his praise.

"Thanks, Ash. I've been working pretty hard, you know,"

May tucked a stray curl of brown hair behind her ear and slowly simpered forward, bringing her hands behind her back. "Soooo," May drawled, "There's a traveling carnival setting up for tomorrow night,"

Ash smiled at the obvious hint.

"That sounds like a lot of fun. Pikachu and I aren't going back to Pallet for a few more days. Why don't we go together?"

May clapped her hands together and grinned.

"That's a great idea, Ash!"

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

A few turns of the tap and the shower came to a halt. Ash stood in silence for a moment, one hand against the tiled wall for support as beads of water dripped off his body and into the bathtub. Steam filled the room from the hot water, turning to vapors and leaving moisture along the mirrors and metal faucets.

Ash sighed.

I've been awful nostalgic lately, he thought. Memories of his old friends came often enough, but recently he couldn't go a day without reflecting on older, happier times. Living in the past is stupid.

Ash scoffed and dried himself off before slipping back into his old, unsavory clothing. In the bathroom cabinet, he spotted a bottle of cologne and used it to make himself smell a little more pleasant.

Cologne is different. Everything I've ever said about Erika's perfumes still holds!

Brock's home was a pleasant place and decorated well enough to make Ash think it had a woman's touch added in. The drapes matched the carpets and the entire color scheme worked in co-ordination with the furniture. Paintings were spaced out around the home. Most were of landscapes, but now and then Ash spotted a glass frame with images of a little Brock and his extensive family.

One thing was very strange. The house was empty. Brock's mom and dad weren't around, nor were the tikes that used to run around the place. Since Brock said to make him self at home, Ash had no trouble using the shower—though he left the food pantry untouched. But in a fit of curiosity, he peeked into a few rooms from the hallway and found many of them empty. Was one person now living in a home intended to support a family?

"I'll have to ask about that," Ash said absently.

A set of newspapers stacked three high lay on the dining room table. Ash pulled a chair out and took the most recent one off the top. He frowned when he saw the headline on the next paper—what would have been yesterdays. "Celadon Gym up in flames," it read. That was the title they were going with. All he had to do was skim the first page to know that all fingers were being pointed to Johto and Erika was missing.

And that's all he cared to know.

Ash threw the paper back onto the table and set off into the kitchen to make a pot of coffee. With luck, it would finish perking just as Brock returned home. He glanced at a stove clock. Almost five, he thought.

The front door promptly opened. Ash glanced over his shoulder and found Brock standing in the doorway.

"Hey Brock. Earlier than I expected," Ash greeted. He turned back towards the pot and began scooping mounds into the filter. "I hope you like your coffee strong,"

"Hey Ash. I ended up closing the gym a bit early today. And strong coffee is fine," Brock nodded back.

"How did that kid do?"

"He ran away crying," Brock answered casually. "I see it all the time, but for every five that run away like that, three of them come back stronger than ever."

"Ah," Ash nodded sagely.

Brock gave Raichu a pat on the head before he entered the kitchen. The taller, darker man pulled out a chair and took a seat at the counter, occupying his time the same way Ash was—by watching coffee slowly peculate.

Ash knew it was only a matter of minutes before they got into a serious discussion. He mentally pictured all the different things that might be said, yet when the pot neared half full and Brock had yet to say anything, Ash turned to face him and found the man's visage was stone, betraying nothing in the way of his thoughts.

Evidently, Ash would have to be the one to initiate discussion.

"It took me a while to get my self together after I saw Pallet," Ash said indifferently, as though it wasn't his least favorite thing to discuss, as though he didn't see bodies and wreckage every time he closed his eyes to sleep.

For his part, Brock merely nodded consideringly.

"I heard before I got there what happened, but when I actually saw it, well…anyways, for a while I wandered from place to place, hoping to find the Pokemon Professor Oak had been keeping at his lab. They, er…didn't make it, I guess…"

Ash scratched the back of his head. His eyes moved to his feet but he pressed on.

"I tried to learn as much as I could about it, but there were so many stories about who caused it. I know the Kanto government is saying it was an 'act of aggression' by Johto. I don't know. But I kept hitting dead ends, so I gave up. All I really do now is wander the region with Raichu and my Pokemon,"

Ash looked up to find Brock's expression only slightly changed.

"You've had a rough time," he said. "I'm sorry I wasn't there to help you out when you needed it. But Ash, if you need a place to stay, you're welcome to stay here. There's more than enough room now,"

Ash waved his hand, "No thanks. But I've been meaning to ask about that—why is this place empty?"

"I convinced my mother and father to take all my brothers and sisters and move. It's dangerous this close to the border with Johto, and add to that all the trouble with gym leaders lately, it's safer for them not to be here," Brock explained.

Ash's expression darkened—he thought of Erika and the paper he'd seen earlier.

"Brock, have people been bothering you lately?"

Brock frowned.

"No, not yet, but I'm sure it's only a matter of time. I don't know if you've heard this, but there's a nasty rumor that's been going around. Some people are saying that the ones going around harassing some of the regional leaders are actually an unofficial branch of the military. Gym leaders have amnesty from being drafted into a war, so this secret organization would be their way of getting around that. The government publicly condemns them and they have no official links to one another, which also means these people are free to act outside of the established laws,"

"Do you think it's true?" Ash asked incredulously.

"I don't know, but it's still unsettling," Brock answered.

Ash turned away and sneered, slamming a mug against the countertop with more force than he intended. "That begs the question—why are you still here? Oh, and do you take cream or sugar in your coffee?" he added but with the bite still in his voice.

Brock smiled lightly. "No, I take mine black too. And I'm here because if this gym closes down, I don't know if one will ever be opened up in Pewter again. Not while there's this war, at least. For every gym leader that's quit or disappeared, no one has ever volunteered to replace them. People are too afraid. We're lucky we have more than eight gyms in the region, but if the number ever fell to less than that, then trainers wouldn't be able to enter the Pokemon league anymore. Having a minimum of eight badges is a long-standing convention and one that isn't likely to be changed,"

"Bah," was all Ash could think to say. He slid his friend over a mug and took a sip from his own, savoring the thick concoction he had made. He glanced up and saw make a bit of a startled face when he tasted his own. Never the less, the man kept on drinking.

"I like coffee that packs a punch," Ash explained.

"I can see that," Brock quipped.

"Anyways," Ash went on. "You said earlier that everyone else thinks I'm, you know, gone. I'd like it if you didn't say anything to them. I'm traveling around trying to visit everyone in person, and if they really think that, I don't think learning otherwise from a phone call would be right,"

"I agree. Where are you headed next?"

"Cerulean City," Ash said. He pinched the bridge of his nose, a light smirk on his face. "Misty's gonna swing her giant mallet at me, I'm sure. And that sister of hers is going to make all kinds of suggestions,"

"Suggestions?" Brock wondered.

"Yeah. Last time I was there, way back, Lilly kept trying to get me and Misty together. It was so obvious that she stopped pretending otherwise," Ash laughed. "After that, I think I'm going to Hoenn to see Max and May,"

"Hmm…" Brock hummed gravely. "Ash, there's something you need to know,"

Ash raised an eyebrow. "Yeah?"

"May is in Kanto,"

Last edited:

Blue Angel

Living for now
    Years
    • Seen Apr 7, 2016
    I thoroughly enjoyed it.
    You captured my attention from the start.
    I noticed only about 3 spelling mistakes and about 2 grammar mistakes.

BTW, I watched the Brock episode today - Brock's Mom was already dead when Ash first met him, you should change that.

That was an exceedingly long chapter, which is very good.

If someone had printed this story and told me a beginning trainer(here) then I would be soo surprised that the did this well.

P.S. Add a "to" to the last sentence. ("May is traveling to Kanto.")

Edit: Certainly the best Pokemon War fanfiction I have read, and I loved your plot twists.
    One of the top 5, I would say(that I can remember/recent fanfictions - I don't remember all of them and the ones from years back were REALLY good, but I can't remember them)

Abrogate Nadir

Obscure Shipper
    Years
  • Thanks for the reply!

About Brock's mother, I think she is alive. I think it was episode 453 where she had taken over the gym and turned it into one for water types, so he battled her to have her change it back to rock. During the episode, Onix evolved into Steelix, if I recall. But at the same time, you're right too. The episode where Ash and Brock met did say something about her passing away xD I think it's a mistake in the series.

I'm not sure, but I think "May is traveling Kanto" is correct. She's already in Kanto and is traveling it, so it's kind of like saying "She's traveling Europe" or something. Of course, this could be grammatically incorrect (I won't lie, my grammar can be atrocious :P)

I'll have a look through and see what I can't fix up. Again, thank you very much for taking the time to reply (and for your praise). It is appreciated~

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Mar 1, 2009
    I read the whole thing from start to finish. Amazing.

I want more!

Blue Angel

Living for now
    Years
    • Seen Apr 7, 2016
    Thanks for the reply!

About Brock's mother, I think she is alive. I think it was episode 453 where she had taken over the gym and turned it into one for water types, so he battled her to have her change it back to rock. During the episode, Onix evolved into Steelix, if I recall. But at the same time, you're right too. The episode where Ash and Brock met did say something about her passing away xD I think it's a mistake in the series.

I'm not sure, but I think "May is traveling Kanto" is correct. She's already in Kanto and is traveling it, so it's kind of like saying "She's traveling Europe" or something. Of course, this could be grammatically incorrect (I won't lie, my grammar can be atrocious :P)

I'll have a look through and see what I can't fix up. Again, thank you very much for taking the time to reply (and for your praise). It is appreciated~

OH! Got it!

But I think "May is in Kanto" still holds up the suspense and won't have any understand problems in the future. Do as you wish though, your story :)

And I agree with the above reviewer...

I can't wait for more! :D

Abrogate Nadir

Obscure Shipper
    Years
  • Chapter 3

Little more than a day had passed since Erika fled Celadon city. The time on the road seemed to drag on, and she did nothing but worry a majority of the time. Her future was anything but certain now. The man who sat but a foot to her left, served as a constant reminder of that fact. He would try and make conversation with her now and then, but she couldn't bring herself to open up to him; she would turn to face the passing scenery and give the shortest answers possible until the conversation died.

When hunger struck, Erika spoke for the first time since their departure and asked if they might stop somewhere for a bite to eat. James vehemently refused, arguing that reaching their destination quickly was a priority. He did offer her a small bag of beef jerky stashed in the glove compartment of his car, but Erika declined, so he ate it instead. Hours later, she regretted her decision.

It was hard to sleep in such a cramped little car, but sheer exhaustion finally made it possible. It was past midnight when she was awoken, and much to her delight, they had finally reached Fuchsia.

From where Erika stood, Fuchsia gradually slopped downhill. Homes and commercial buildings were lined neatly in rows all the way down until they reached the harbor. It was well lit, and in the distance she could see the vague shapes of incoming ships. But do commercial vessels run this late, she wondered.

As though reading her mind, James cleared his throat. "Looks like you'll have to wait until morning to leave. Why don't you stay at Rocket H.Q. for the night?"

Erika turned to face him, drawing back the hood on her oversized coat. James had provided the thick garment as a means of concealing her clothing and covering her face from those they happened to pass. As big as the coat was, it was also dreadfully thin, providing almost no comfort from the cold night air.

"I think a hotel would suit me just fine," Erika said, hugging herself to keep warm. Her gaze wandered to the forests westward. Koga's gym was somewhere within. Is he as troubled as I am right now, she briefly wondered.

"Hey, I'm just trying to be a gentleman here! You're trying to keep a low profile, remember? You can't just go to a hotel. They ask for I.D. You'd be recognized."

Erika opened her mouth to argue, but she had to concede. The man had a point whether she liked it or not, so she closed her eyes and held her chin high.

"Very well. However—"

James looked past Erika, his eyes trailing low on the ground.

"You made it, Meowth."

A Meowth walking on its hind legs sauntered over, picking at its whiskers with what looked to be a sense of self-satisfaction. "Course I made it, and with good info to boot," he boasted. The feline cocked its head to the side and looked Erika from head to toe. "Who's she?"

Erika shifted in her coat. To hear a Pokemon speak plain English left her a little stunned, but shegave a slight bow nevertheless.

"This is Erika," James whispered. His eyes darted left to right suspiciously. "Not here. Let's talk about this 'good info' at our base."

Zxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxz

Much to Erika's dismay, the so-called 'Rocket H.Q.' was nothing more than a run-down shack on the outskirts of the city. The windows were cracked, the electricity was cut, and the door looked ready to fall off its hinges. Were it not for the coat James had given her—something to keep her from being recognized—she would certainly be getting goosebumps.

One by one, candles were lit and scattered around the room on any surface that was flat and stable. It was hardly well-lit, but they'd be able to see one another at least.

James and Meowth looked to her expectantly when they sat at the table, even sliding out a chair for her. Erika accepted the invitation to humor them—but the thought of becoming an unlawful was still not something she would entertain.

"So what's this info?" James said. "And why isn't Cassidy with you?"

"Nyeh, you aren't gonna believe this, but…" Meowth abruptly turned to Erika.

"Its fine, she won't tell anyone. We can trust her."

Erika lifted an eyebrow curiously.

Meowth went on.

"Okay, so we get to Cinnabar Island to find this Blaine guy. We couldn't find him no where, I tell ya. But then I remembered that time the twerp battled him in that Volcano, so me and Cassidy go to check it out. We found him alright, but…"

"What?" James prompted.

"He was dead! Bam!" Meowth shouted.

Erika gave a start. A gym leader dead? Was it the same people that were after her?

"He's lyin' there on a rock an' his skins all red from the heat, but it wasn't no accident. Someone put a bullet in his head! So right around then, we were figuring we outta high tail it, right? He can't exactly become a Rocket anymore, only then things really turned crazy! They musta came right around when we went in the Volcano, cuz when we came out they were everywhere: in the water, on the streets, above ground. We thought it was Origin Zero at first, but it turned out to be Johto. I never seen nothin' like it. None of the Cinnabar ships were movin' either. Cassidy says it was sabotage."

By now Erika's heart was pounding wildly in her chest, and from the look on James face, she wasn't the only one.

"W-Wait!" she stammered, rising swiftly from her seat. "You're saying Cinnabar has been overthrown? How can that be?"

James was of the same mind. "I don't understand. We picked up newspapers on the road and didn't see anything about this. How is this not all over the news?"

Meowth shrugged. "Yeah, well, me an' Cassidy talked about that on the way back—and let me tell you, if we didn't have our Karp Sub hidden, we'd of never gotten off that island alive—but she thinks they're using it as a…hmm, what did she call it? A launching ground?"

James furrowed his eyebrows. "A launching ground?"

"Yeppers. The news did mention Cinnabar. They said accordin' to the city mayor, the Volcano erupted and it ain't safe for no one to come to the island. Disaster relief is s'posed to be comin' from the mainland, but their stretched thin, so it'll be a few days."

Erika slowly lowered herself into her chair. "But the volcano, that's a lie, isn't it?"

"Sure is. Cassidy says some more naval forces will come from Johto and mix with them guys already at Cinnabar. Once they're ready, they'll launch em' from there and catch Kanto with their pants down, if ya get my drift."

Silence settled for a time after. Erika felt numb. If she followed everything Meowth had been saying, then not only are the people of Cinnabar dead or prisoner, but another attack was to come. Where? Where will they strike?

There were so many possibilities.

"This is…too much," Erika muttered weakly.

James suddenly rose from his seat, his face an expressionless mask. He crossed the room to an old chest and broke into a coughing fit when a cloud of dust rose from opening it. Erika only watched, eager to see what he was looking for. She hoped a solution, but nothing as small as the contents of a chest could stop something as big as an army.

"This," he said finally, opening up a map. James set it on the table and began running his fingers along the edge until he touched Cinnabar.

"You plannin' somethin'?" Meowth said.

James frowned and ran his finger east towards the Seafoam islands.

"These islands are usually covered in mist. It doesn't spread out that far, but if Johto used Pokemon to create mist closer to shore, would anyone think it that strange?"

Meowth stroked his whiskers thoughtfully.

"So you think they're comin' to Fuchsia?"

"Maybe, but they could have other things in mind." James answered. He set his hand back on Cinnabar and moved it north-east, running it through the bridge between routes seventeen and eighteen until it reached Vermillion. "The bridge would be an obstacle for their larger vessels, but submarines and underwater Pokemon could slip through here. If they were fast enough, Vermillion wouldn't know until the first hit came."

James moved his hand back to its starter position. As he considered his third possibility, the hand ran to Pallet and he froze.

"Pallet, population zero. Not exactly prime target material," Meowth quipped.

James jostled suddenly then went on until he touched Viridian. "The only way this could happen is if they traveled along the coast, going past Pallet. They'd be spotted quickly, and there's already a big military presence in the area since it's close to the border. It'll be Fuchsia or Vermillion—or both. They can't keep this volcano ruse up for long either."

Erika swallowed a lump in her throat. It was hard to stay composed.

"W-when…will they come?"

"Well, this was about a day or so ago, an' it takes somethin' like 6 hours to go from Cinnabar to here by sea, so, ehh—"

"It could be minutes away for all we know," James said dejectedly. "Maybe they'll wait until tomorrow. Maybe."

Erika folded her hands gently into her lap. They were shaking. "What will you do, James?"

The man's only response was a drawn out sigh.

Meowth snorted. "Ain't it obvious? We run away so we can live to fight another day!"

And suddenly with the notion of retreat—of leaving countless people to die without even attempting to help—Erika's calm shattered.

"No! I can't accept that! I won't, James!" she snapped, fixing him with a glare, "You've tried to convince me that yours is a group with morals working to protect Kanto. How can I believe that when you'll let this happen?!"

James slammed his fist onto the table and stood, knocking his chair over behind him. Meowth was quick to blow out the set of candles on the table before they finished tipping over.

"Let this happen? If I could stop it, I'd do it in a second! I told you we were a small group, didn't I? So how would we stop such a large invasion? And what if it's happening in two different places? Then what?!"

Erika took a deep breath in an effort to put a reign on her emotions. Now wasn't the time for a shouting match. Her point had to be made, and made clearly.

"We could send word to Vermillion, and here in Fuchsia, we could let the people know. We could evacuate people and call in the army. We could go to Koga for help. We can make a difference, if you'll at least try."

"Don't be absurd," James said. "Remember: the government of Kanto can't be trusted. They have people from Origin Zero in their ranks. They wanted Pallet to be destroyed, and I wouldn't be surprised if they wanted this to happen too."

"Yeah, didn't you know? Oz got the wheels of this here war rollin'," Meowth said pointedly.

Erika gave a start. "Excuse me? Wasn't it Johto that struck first? James, why am I only hearing this now?" she looked up at James expectantly and he sighed.

"I wasn't trying to hide it, but you looked like you didn't believe me when I told you about the spies. I didn't think you'd believe me on this. I still don't, really…"

Meowth leaned forward in his chair, waving a hand dramatically.

"Let me set the stage: it's a little over a year ago and things are peachy between Kanto and Johto. Our 'friends' to the west are gearing up for elections and a man from out of nowhere puts his name on the ballot as an independent. No one knows much of anythin' about him, but apparently he was a consultant or somethin' for the last president. Worked behind the scenes, or so it was said."

"Boy did he become popular fast! The first time an independent had a legitimate chance of winnin', ya know. But there was a nasty rumor too. Kanto picked up some information on this fella. Apparently he was also part of the most powerful criminal group in the region, a fierce rival of our old boss's. He didn't like Team Rocket or Kanto one bit. That was all run by Johto's former government, but no one took them allegations seriously, 'specially since we never said where the info came from."

"Election day comes, and big surprise, this fella wins. A few weeks later, President Philmar is a hit, but he ain't liked 'round here. All these convenient studies keep on poppin' up, sayin' our meat has madtank or our products got lead. Suddenly a whole laundry list of products can't cross the border."

"That wasn't all," James added. "Funding was pulled from joint projects between Kanto and Johto. People were being murdered everyday—members of Team Rocket, but not the ones who wear the uniforms. The more…inconspicuous ones."

"Like judges and cops," Meowth nodded. "Info from the boss' old computer said Johto Foreign Affairs was profiling all them people right before they bought the farm, and it looks like Kanto knew it too—'cept the part about them being Rockets."

From here, James continued the story. He was more soft-spoken and less flippant—Erika preferred hearing it from him.

"Every year, leaders from all over the world gather at the United Summit to discuss world issues. During the last summit, President Philmar was shot. When the assassin was caught, it was revealed that he apparently worked for Kanto Security Agency. It was all over the news. Right around then, our boss disappeared too."

"I remember reading about this," Erika said. She closed her eyes in thought. "Kanto was blamed, but denied any part in this. The next day, the presidential building was bombed. Everyone assumed Johto did it—that the vice-president-turned-president acted hastily."

"Ha!" Meowth laughed. "Know what we think? The assassination of Philmar and the bombing the next day? Both Oz."

Erika gasped. "You're saying that Oz instigated this war by pinning acts of aggression on our governments?"

James' expression turned grim. "They did more than just those two things. It was tit-for-tat after that, with one act after another. Oz only needed to do a few before both nations really were going at it. And then…Erika, do you remember what happened before war was officially declared?"

"I do," Erika nodded slowly. "Kanto called a peace conference and Johto agreed, but before both sides sat down to talk, Pallet was…" she shook her head. "Did Oz destroy Pallet?"

Erika instantly thought of Ash. A mere few days had passed since then, but with all that had happened—all that was still happening—it really felt a lot longer. That young man, once so kind and innocent left to walk the streets with no home or family. What was he doing now? Was he okay?

James had grown silent again. He'd suffered too. Trying to save Pallet cost him someone dear. That's when it occurred to Erika—maybe he was afraid of losing another. She looked to Meowth. He was just as silent.

"I think I understand," Erika said slowly. "Origin Zero precipitated this war, and whether they were involved with Pallet or not, negotiations still broke down. I do not know why, but it seems they want this war to go on. If all of this is true, then we really can't look outside the walls of Fuchsia for help. But even still, I want you to understand me James. If this city really is slated for destruction, I can't simply turn my back and run away. I'm going to stay here and do all that I can."

James only stared back blankly. It was a full ten seconds later he finally moved, lowering his head into his sands and taking a long, drawn-out breath. He was fighting with himself over what to do, and when he spoke, his voice was a mix of mirth and resignation alike.

"This is insane. There are only three of us. Thirteen Pokemon total. With Team Rocket broken up, we can't charge a giant Pokemon-shaped war machine on the company card anymore. Even if we got every able trainer in this city together, we'd still be outnumbered. This city isn't equipped to repel an attack. Kanto's military force is over-concentrated at the border. We don't know exactly when they will come, we don't know how many, and we don't know what their strategy will be. Meowth, did I miss anything?"

Meowth shrugged. "Even if you did, those reasons alone make us screwed."

"Then we'd better come up with one hell of a plan, and fast."

Reaching Cerulean City took little time with Charizard as the method of transportation. It was virtually a straight line from Pewter, and while many would find themselves struggling for air when they reached an altitude great enough to soar over Mount Moon, it was common practice for Ash by now.

When the group landed on a patch of dirt just outside the city gates, Ash took a minute to stretch his arms and legs and take a breather. He casually patted Charizard's stomach as he looked to Misty's hometown. He couldn't see much, save for a tall wall of concrete and the odd building tall enough to rise above it. But even that was enough to set his memory in motion. He recalled places he'd eaten at, slept at, he vaguely recalled this town's Nurse Joy (from a time when he thought there were only a few dozen of them, not several hundred), and he recalled his battles with Misty in her gym.

Raichu tugged at Ash's pant leg.

"Are we going to stay here longer than Pewter? We left so soon…"

Ash rubbed at his unshaven face, sighing regretfully. May is in Kanto, the words echoed. She's here to take part in the contests. He laughed at that—it was an obvious lie. Kanto was a war-torn shithole, and contests had spread to other regions like wildfire, so there was no shortage of other places for her to go. It didn't take long to figure out what her true motivations were.

"I'd like too," Ash said. "I planned too. But I really wanna find May. If I'm right, the contests in Kanto are just an excuse. She heard I was dead and didn't believe it, and now she's here looking for some trace of me."

At this, Raichu slowly nodded, disappointed but understanding.

Ash knelt down low and set his hand atop the Pokemon's head.

"Once we find her, we'll visit everyone again. Alright?" he said.

As far as larger cities went, Cerulean was among the safest. It wasn't close to any borders or bodies of water, wasn't readily accessible by port, and unlike Saffron and Celadon, it wasn't a source of major economic activity. Be that as it may, Cerulean was a beautiful city, full of parks and precious greenery. The buildings weren't so huddled together, and Ash couldn't go down a single street without seeing a group of oak trees, a stretch of planted flowers, and every now and then, a porcelain Pokemon statue.

The city square was all that and then some. A fifteen foot fountain stood in its center, with the likeness of a Starmie spraying water of every endpoint on its body. There were small shop carts selling tailored clothes, ornate jewelry, and other odds and ends all over the place, and lively music filled the air. As Ash wove around the intermingling crowds, he spied a group of live performers playing for coin.

But the music died down, and before long, he had reached his destination.

Whatever apprehension Ash felt prior to his visit with Brock was nothing compared to what he had felt now. In his youth, Ash was naïve enough to miss all the signs of Misty's feelings, even if they were written in flashing neon letters. Now he knew, and she knew he knew, and that made it all the more awkward. But I'll deal, Ash thought to himself. It felt like he was working his way up, with the most difficult reunions waiting for him at the end.

A lot of time had passed since he had last come here, but even still, his feet remembered all the steps: the right hallway past reception, right, and then left down the narrow hallway. That brought him to a clear window that overlooked the gym's pool. Ash took a moment to glimpse inside, finding a school of Seaking swimming between mats as a female he'd never met shouted out commands. The fish would break, leap over obstacles, than quickly reassemble.

Ash turned back to the steps ahead. He was almost there. Taking a deep breath, he set a winning smile on his face and threw open the door at the top of the stairs before he had the chance to re-consider.

A blond woman raised her head from the desk. After eyeing Ash from head to toe, she frowned, apparently unimpressed with his appearance.

"Like, is there something I can help you with?" she said. Her eyes trailed down to Raichu. "Are you here for a battle or something?"

Ash waved his hand dismissively as he shut the door behind him. All at once, the sounds of activity from outside the office became nothing more than a dull murmur. Ash eyed the chair in front of Lilly's desk and thought of sitting down for a spell. Striking up a conversation and reminiscing about old times might lead to valuable information about where he stood with Misty as it were. Being prepared for the tomboy's wrath couldn't hurt.

But then it occurred to him that Lilly was notorious for talking to anyone who would listen, and if Ash put his identity out there, half the city would know he was here by the end of the day. He was a small legend in these parts after defeating all three of Misty's sisters at once.

"Is Misty here?" Ash said.

Lilly raised an eyebrow. "Misty? Like, how do you know her?"

"We go back."

"Yeah?"

"Yeah," Ash nodded. He wouldn't give any more than that.

Lilly's frown deepened, but after a moment she sighed and went back to filling out the forms on her desk. "She said she was meeting someone. She'll be back in, like, a few hours or something."

Ash knew that was a dismissal, so he nodded his thanks and left without a word. It was a shame—they used to get along so well.

Outside the Gym, Ash slipped his hands into his pockets and felt something new there. The ball of paper crumpled in his hands and when he pulled it out, it looked like common litter. Still, it was in his pocket, and he knew he didn't put it there. As he unrolled it, he remembered bumping in to two different people since his arrival in the city. Either one could have put it there.

The cave near the waterfall. Come prepared.

Ash frowned and knelt so Raichu could look at the paper—he looked just as confused.

"Who would give you something like this?"

"Beats me," Ash shrugged, stuffing the note back into his pocket.

"It sounds suspicious. You aren't going to go, are you?"

Ash folded his arms. "I don't know. I've heard about that cave. It's supposed to have some super strong wild Pokemon in there, but the survival rate is real low."

"Really? How low?"

"Of hundreds, less than ten have come out alive. Is someone trying to get me killed or something? But you know, I've always been curious…"

"Ash, no!"

He grinned. "Hey, we have some time to kill, right?"

zxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxz

Ash had matured in many ways since his days traveling all the different regions. Some of that he owed to all the people he met, and some to harsh lessons he had been forced to learn—but some habits he never could shake. It was a mix of indomitable curiosity and reckless overconfidence that led Ash to follow that note.

Raichu fought him on it the whole way, even going so far as to threaten him with electricity, but he would not be moved. "It said to come prepared, so they obviously don't mean us harm," Ash had explained, only half-believing it. But as he thought on it more, he realized how serious this really was: someone knew he would be here in Cerulean. It wasn't a pleasant thought.

The cave behind the waterfall stood not long off. As Charizard descended onto a large stone set around the water, Ash called him back and readied the only water Pokemon left in his arsenal to carry him the rest of the way.

Floatzel appeared in a flash of light and dove into the water instantly. Sunlight glistened off its orange fur and its twin tails spun like a propeller, sending it shooting across the water. It reached the other end in seconds before making a u-turn and doubling back.

This had been Dawn's Pokemon once. He still remembered that day. By all rights Piplup should have lost, but quick thinking and a rare talent for finesse led to her victory. Yet as it so happened, Buizel didn't care for contests, and Ash's own Aipom didn't care for battles, so a trade was made, and everyone was happy.

To Ash, this Pokemon was a tangible reminder of his friend.

"It's been a while since you've had free reign in the water, huh?" Ash said, kneeling to scratch at Floatzel's cheeks. "We need to get to the cave on the other side."

"Ash," Raichu glowered.

"We can't just leave this alone," Ash climbed onto Floatzel's back carefully. His legs dipped into the water, soaking his sweatpants, but he remained mostly dry. Floatzel's floatation sack let it act as a raft of sorts when it was carrying passengers. "Come on buddy, we'll wrap this up and head back to see Misty."

The inside of the cave was dark and full of puddles.. Without the benefit of torches or lamps, Ash had to rely on Raichu to make a flash of light—he quickly remembered just how valuable that skill was. There was no end to the amount of obstructions. Boulders and sharp bits of rock littered the ground, and holes that he assumed Pokemon dug had no seeable end to them.

Then what began as a simple winding corridor led to an open expanse, full of different paths and places where the ground slowly rose. Below, bodies of water expanded as far as the eye could see into entirely different areas

There were scant few Pokemon early in, and most of them seemed uninterested in Ash. Maybe because I'm not interested in them, he had thought, but not long after, a wild Rhyhorn came charging out through a grouping of boulders, its loud cry echoing through the open space. A well-placed Iron Tail downed it with ease, but then half a dozen Golbat came down screeching and three Electrode rolled in from out of nowhere. They were sorted out within minutes, and from then on, Ash and the cave's inhabitants seemed to have an unspoken agreement: don't mess with us and we won't mess with you.

A good hour had passed since their arrival, Ash figured, and he was quickly losing his patience. The cave was interesting to see, and if he wanted to catch new Pokemon, it was a virtual goldmine, full of many of the more evolved breeds. There were Kadabra and Machoke. On a lower floor, he spied a group of Hypno meandering about. Seaking, Seadra, and even Gyarados surfed the waters, and there were rock types all over the place.

But no where was there anything that demanded his personal attention. He was about ready to turn around and leave when he saw another source of light at the end of a corridor.

"This could be it. Get ready," Ash whispered.

At the end was a large room; it was otherwise empty, save for the two lanterns set against the back wall and a set of steel doors.

Ash stood in the center of the room, gazing at the door ponderously. "What should we do? Knock?"

The set of doors began to open, but there was nothing to be seen inside except another hallway that ended in darkness. From the shadows, a man emerged, and no sooner than he had taken three steps did the doors begin to close behind him.

The man was tall and lean, dressed in a navy blue blazer and pants to match. His slicked black hair and finely polished shoes made him out to be more than your run-of-the-mill businessman.

Ash tensed as the man began walking closer.

"I'm glad to see you found your way here unharmed," the man said. He came to a stop several paces away, clasping his hands together. "These caves can be a bit dangerous, truth be told."

"Really? Than why did you send me running here?" Ash said dryly.

The man's smile only grew. "Ash Ketchum. You don't know how much I've wanted to meet you," he swept his arms out dramatically, "'Ash Ketchum, he who is moved by the invisible hand of the Creator.', or so I am told."

Ash pinched the bridge of his nose. "What is this all about? Another prophecy or something? More legendary Pokemon running amok? Give it to me straight, please and thank you."

The man chuckled, clapping his hands together. "Your reaction is only natural. Please don't misunderstand me—I don't believe it for a second. But that isn't what's important here. What matters is that there is someone who does, and that someone happens to stand above me."

Ash's hand instantly moved to the buckle on his waist. "So this was a trap."

The man shrugged. "If it was, I was not the one to lay it. But as long as you're here…" he grinned and withdrew a Pokeball from the inside of his jacket. "Would you do me the honor of a Pokemon battle, young man? Say, two Pokemon, no substitutions? I'd like to measure the worth of someone even M fears."

"Who the hell is M?" Ash snapped, fists trembling. And what the hell is going on?

"Do you accept the challenge? I'd like to be a good sport about all this."

"What, and you'll actually follow rules? Are you from another lame criminal group? Team Something-or-other?"

"I am an elite Admin. I will say no more than that. Now choose your first Pokemon, if you would."

The whole time, the Admin's smile never faltered. Ash muttered a few curses beneath his breath as he stepped back. The other man backed up on his end as well, until they were the proper length apart, like in any normal battlefield. With his ball in hand, Ash sighed. If I win, I'll make him talk. He'll send out his other three Pokemon, no doubt, but I'll beat them too.

The Admin threw his ball gracefully across the field.

Ash followed. "Donphan, go!"

The lumbering gray mass stomped its feet against the earthen floor, blowing air out its trunk as it raised a cry.

The opposing Piloswine shook in place, its shaggy brown fur sagging from side to side as it mirrored the act and raised a cry of its own. It was more than twice as tall, and had the advantage of being ice type in addition to ground. But type isn't everything, Ash reminded himself.

Ash pointed forward. "Donphan, Rollout!" he commanded.

At once, Donphan curled into a ball and began rolling, quickly building momentum as he closed in the distance. He knew what was coming and quickly ordered him to turn. A blast of powdered snow hit nothing but empty space.

It can't turn very fast, Ash noted. The side is my best bet. If I can knock it over, then the follow-up should finish it.

"Keep rolling around it!" Ash yelled.

The sluggish swine opened its mouth to fire a series of frozen spears, but the rolling Donphan kept ahead of them with ease.

"Now!" Ash shouted.

Suddenly Donphan turned, lifting itself off the ground. It all but flew the distance between itself and the Piloswine, striking it dead on in its side—but the giant only staggered a few feet back and stayed on its feet. Somehow, it endured.

Ash gaped. "What? Donphan can blow apart a house in one hit!"

The Piloswine roared.

"Icicle Spear!"

"Rapid Spin!"

Donphan spun in place as the barrage came, hitting his hardened skin and promptly shattering to pieces.

The attack isn't letting up, and even if the spinning is reducing the damage, it can't go on like this. If it could take one of Donphan's Rollout's without falling over, than it's going to take something extreme. Ash looked past the battle to the Admin--he smiled at him sweetly. I really don't like that guy.

"Roll back and use Hyper Beam!"

Without a moment's hesitation, Donphan rolled back and onto its feet. Pure, unfettered power gathered at the Pokemon's trunk and blasted forward in concentrated stream too quick to be dodged by something as big and slow as Piloswine.

When the attack resolved, Ash made a face. The fur on Piloswine's side had been singed off, leaving behind an ugly, steaming black spot. Its nose wrinkled as it oinked in pained bouts of distress, its legs shaking the whole while.

"Still standing, holy crap," Ash said.

"Oh dear," the admin sighed. He sounded close to tears. "Consider one Pokemon down, young man."

And with that, he called Piloswine back. If nothing else, at least he knew when to call the quits.

Ash frowned as he looked at Donphan. The armored ground-type put on a good show, but the ice had taken a toll on him and he was suffering from frostbite in several places. He could push him a little more, but…

" I'll call mine back too," Ash decided.

"You are wise beyond your years."

"Shut up."

The field had been cleared, leading Ash to consider his options carefully. The Admin already held a ball in his hand, meaning he wasn't going to wait to see what Ash picked, but he wasn't giving Ash that option either. Is he the kind of person who uses the same type? Maybe an ice or a ground type? There's no way to tell right now. He glanced down at Raichu. He has attacks to fight every weakness of his, and none of my other Pokemon can move as fast.

"Raichu's my choice," Ash said. On cue, his partner stepped onto the field.

"And it's a fine choice," the man complimented. "I'll be using Weavile. I warn you, he is fast."

Ask scoffed. "Listen to you. You're such a generic villain. Do you even have a name?"

"My associates have taken to calling me Frost."

"Frost?" Ash laughed. "Because you like ice Pokemon? How original."

Frost laughed heartily and let his Pokeball fly. True to his words, Weavile sprang to life. The sleek black weasel made a show of its inch-long claws—there was malice in its grin.

Raichu glared back as sparks of electricity coursed along its cheeks.

"Thunderbolt!"

"Ice Beam!"

Bolt met beam in the center of the field, and for a time, the attacks struggled against each other. One would lose ground only to gain it moments later, but before long, both gave out and exploded in a blast of ice and lightning. It was a stalemate, and the first of many.

Ash raised a cry for agility and Frost mirrored it. The Pokemon danced along the field with unsurpassed grace, neither able to catch the other. The field lit up with Thunder that rained down, striking the ground and blasting apart bits of stone, but never hitting their mark. A flurry of hail gusted, but in an instant, Raichu was behind Weavile—his Iron Tail struck the ground where he had been. As they broke away from one another, a Thunderbolt met another Ice Beam, and the attacks exploded in the space between. Their dance soon resumed.

Ash watched the back and forth with mounting annoyance. He's keeping up with no problems. In a battle of speed, they're equal. I've got to land the first real hit. He looked to Frost. That ass is still smiling. He has something up his sleeve. I'll end it before he has a chance.

"Raichu, we're going all out!"

The electric mouse swooped under Weavile's claw and made for the middle of the room. His body took on a white hue as lightning crackled around his body, soon expanding in a perfect sphere of influence to cover the entire length of the field.

Weavile was still in the air when the shockwave engulfed him. When the attack died down, there was a nauseating pop. Fur flew from his blistering body; he fell to the ground as lifeless as a doll, his eyes glassy and unblinking.

Silence hung over the field and Raichu hung its head solemnly.

"You…killed him," Frost said. His smile withered like a dying rose.

It should have hurt more, seeing that Pokemon dead. Somehow it didn't. Somehow Ash was unmoved. Was it because this man was by all rights, a criminal? Someone that was out to do him harm? He was hardly innocent, and that feral grin his Pokemon wore, he wasn't the picture of kindness either.

These things happened, didn't they? Every year, Pokemon died in battles, despite the precautions trainers take. It was an inevitable part of life and being a Pokemon trainer.

Ash blinked. Am I…trying to justify what just happened? The body sat on the cold stone floor exactly as it had been left. No measure of regret would make it move again.

"I suppose that's what I get for fighting fair," Frost said vacantly.

A shot rang hollow through the cave. Ash turned to the source, startled, and saw three enter. Two were hidden behind dull brown cloaks full of stitched on patches; the third was a Hypno. The tallest of the three tucked his still-smoking gun inside his cloak. In a daze, Ash felt around his chest.

He was fine.

He turned to Frost and found the man clutching his chest over a growing red stain on his suit. Then he fell to the ground, as inert as his Pokemon.

"Why did you do that?!" came a woman's voice, shrill and whiny, and oddly memorable.

Ash spun. "Who are you?" he demanded.

The set of steel doors began to work their way open, prompting the man to step forward hurriedly. "We don't have time for that now. Hypno, use Teleport. Take us out of here."

The last thing Ash saw was a flood of uniformed men before everything went white.

OxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxO

It wasn't just once; Hypno teleported several times before its master was satisfied. First they were above the water fall. The sky was blue and clear and water rushed downward, drowning out any other sounds. Then they were on top of a building that overlooked Cerulean. The city was much more active at this time of day, and Ash saw the city gym off in the distance. Then finally, they were in a small clearing with trees walling them in on all sides. The sound of Pokemon chirping was faint—there was a real feeling of solitude.

"This should be good," The man said. With that, he pulled back his hood, revealing a head of green-blue hair that hung in his eyes and facial features too feminine to match that deep voice of his. Something about him was vaguely familiar, but Ash couldn't put a name to the face.

But the other one…

The woman rounded on him so fast, he inched back and swallowed. The ferocity in her eyes could only belong to one person. She pulled back her hood, and sure enough it was her. With that fire red hair tied into a small ponytail at the side, Misty looked almost exactly as he remembered. Maybe a little taller, but still as thin as a hat pin.

"It really is you…" she said numbly.

Ash opened his mouth to speak—her hand slapped him across the face hard. When Misty sprang forward, Ash thought he was in for another, but instead she wrapped her arms around him and sobbed.

"Not that this isn't touching, but we have a few things to discuss," the man said. He tapped his leather boot on the ground impatiently.

Misty pulled away and wiped at her eyes with the back of her hand, sniffling.

"Crying?" Ash said, the ghost of a smile playing on his lips.

"Shut up. I am not crying. I…I have a cold, that's all."

The stranger cleared his throat. "I'm sure you have a lot of questions, but right now, I think you'd be better off listening." He stuck a cigarette in his mouth and fumbled around with a lighter, trying unsuccessfully until it finally lit.

Ash folded his arms. "Alright. Then talk. Tell me who you are and why Misty is with you."

The man inhaled deeply before blowing out a cloud of smoke. "I was the one who stuck that note in your pocket, if you haven't figured it out yet. The guy you battled just now? He's from a group called Origin Zero, or Oz for short. They've known about you for a while, and I wanted you to see that for yourself. He recognized you, didn't he?"

Ash nodded.

"Every higher up in the organization knows what you look like. I don't know what they want with you, but you've piqued their interest somehow. Maybe it's that rat of yours. After seeing that last attack, I'd wager it could kill anything not completely immune with one clean shot."

Ash winced and looked to Misty—she instantly averted her gaze. So she saw that, he thought. That didn't help.

"Either way," he went on, "you can blame a lot of your woes on them. They're propagating this entire war, for reasons I'd love to know. Some of us figure it's because their kind of shady business thrives in a war-driven economy, but I think it's something deeper than that."

"So, what? You're a good guy? Is that why you shot Frosty?" Ash said harshly.

The man shrugged. "Seems to me I'm not the only killer among us. But the fact is, whether you won or lost, the same fate awaited you. They were gonna take you in, kid. I saved your life. You owe me."

"I don't owe you anything!" Ash shouted.

"Well, whether you think so or not, it doesn't really matter. What I want you to do is something you'd probably do on your own anyways. I want you to go back to Pewter city."

Ash narrowed his eyes. 'Back'? How did he know I was even there? But he bit his tongue, instead saying: "Why Pewter?"

"It'll become a war zone any time now—if it isn't already. A lot of people are gonna die. Maybe you can help lessen the number?"

Misty gasped.

"What? How do you know that?" Ash snapped.

"The border between Kanto and Johto is closely watched, but here's the thing—they're coming from the mountains north of Pewter. Little by little, they've been preparing, and they aren't Johto soldiers. They're members of Oz in counterfeit uniforms. I got confirmation from someone in the area."

Bile rose in Ash's throat as he thought of Pewter being laid to waste. He thought of Pallet then—it couldn't be made to happen again. Not to his friend's hometown.

It could have been a lie. Everyone was yanking his chain today. Somehow he'd become part of someone's twisted game. But that didn't matter. He could only think of Pallet..

"If you are going…" the man said, "you'll want all the help you can get. I'd bring your friend if I were you. Trust me, kid."

"I'm going whether he likes it or not," Misty stated with a tone of finality.

"Then come on," Ash said, Charizard's Pokeball at the ready. "It'll take longer with you onboard, even if you do only weigh thirty pounds."

Misty chose to ignore that remark.

Zxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxz

Back in Fuchsia, James stood at the end of a pier with a pair of binoculars in hand.

They hadn't had long to prepare, yet somehow everything had come together. From Koga, word went to the mayor's office, and from there, it quickly spread over the city. Battle is coming, those words were on everyone's lips, and most of those who hadn't opted to stay and fight had fled with little more than the shirt on their backs. The rest either didn't believe it or stayed hoping to whatever powers that be that it wouldn't happen.

James turned for a moment to look at the city. Their meager little force lay hidden inside buildings and behind land marks, ready to spring at a moment's notice. They said that 'forewarned is forearmed', but even preparation had its limits. They were much smaller in number and most had no training, save for whatever Pokemon battles they'd engaged in for sport.

These were turbulent times—some of those fighting today were no more than thirteen.

When James turned back, he studied the rising passes on the western end of the city. They stood well above the waters for a good mile or two out. High ground was an advantage, or so Koga had said during their impromptu strategy meeting. All of his tactics were befitting of a man who dressed like a ninja. They were as dirty as the poison Pokemon he kept in his company. Speaking of which, they played a key role. James fingered the Pokeball that held Weezing. You too, old pal.

The phone in his jacket began to vibrate. James dropped the binoculars on the dock and fumbled around for it.

"Hello?"

"It's me," came a gruff voice.

"Butch, where have you been?" James said, annoyed.

"Busy. Oz is going to be hitting Pewter City any time now, and Johto will be the ones blamed."

"For the love of Arceus…"

"I sent the twerp and his lady friend over to help them defend themselves. I figure if it's just a little group and not the actual army, they might be able to drive them off. Failing that, they could at least hold them off long enough for the army to haul ass back from the border."

James bit his lip. Ash Ketchum. He had to get involved sooner or later. "Have you spoken with Cassidy?"

"No."

"Johto has Cinnabar under its thumb. They're going to launch an attack from there. We don't know if they're coming to Fuchsia, Vermillion, or both. Don't you find it funny that Oz and Johto are moving at the same time?"

"I can think of two explanations. Either Johto's government really is corrupt and Oz takes orders from them, or maybe they have moles in their ranks, same as Kanto."

"I hate either thought," James griped.

"What about you, what are you doing?"

"Gym leader Erika is with us. We're in Fuchsia, hoping to keep at least one city safe."

There was laughter on the other end, cruel and mocking.

"You moron. This is the Johto Army we're talking about. It's a lost cause."

"I've got to try."

"Are you trying to make up for failing Pallet? Is that—"

"That isn't it!"

"Whatever," Butch scoffed. "If all goes well, maybe the twerp will join up. That girl's one of the city Gym Leaders too. The most talented of the four, near as I can tell. She wouldn't be bad either, and all I had to do to get where I wanted was tell her she'd meet Ash Ketchum."

"Great…" James mumbled tiredly. He knelt over to fetch his binoculars, and when he peered outward, he saw a mist slowly rolling into sight. "Butch, I have to go now. It's starting."

Xzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzx

End of chapter

Thanks go out to Blue Angel for Betaing! (Oosh became swamped with school and other RL commitments)

Last edited:

Clevink

Don't mess with Espeon...
    Years
    • Seen Jul 27, 2014
    This is so..... damn...... GOOD!!!!! Like, I don't even know how to put it into words. Really sad, but it kind of reminds me of Harry Potter. You have the corrupted government, a few small but strong groups, and a really dark plot. SO good, once again. You MUST continue!!!

Abrogate Nadir

Obscure Shipper
    Years
  • Thank you very much, Clevink. I know I still need a lot of improvement, but it is always good to know that there are people who enjoy reading what I write. :)

emosillyputty

Sporkman away!
    Years
    • Seen Sep 10, 2008
    Awesome, man, just awesome. Can't wait for the next chapter!

Emosillyputty

Buoysel

Trust me, I'm a Professional*
    Years
  • I really enjoyed this. I really like future fics. I am really glad to see that Buizel Floatzel didn't get killed. I wonder who the other two Pokemon he has left are. I wonder why Raichu had the change of heart about evolving.

I loved the way you opened this story. I think it was the best opening I have read to date.

There are two things I would like to point out:

Ash threw the paper back onto the table and set off into the kitchen to make a pot of coffee. With luck, it would finish perking just as Brock returned home. He glanced at a stove clock. Almost five PM, he read.
    In my experience, clocks give an exact time. So I seriously doubt that a clock would say almost five, perhaps ash though that...
    At once, Donphan curled into a ball and began rolling, quickly building momentum as he closed in the distance. He knew what was coming and quickly ordered him to turn. A blast of powdered snow hot nothing but empty space.
    Do you mean hit?

EDIT:

I was on my way to bed, but your fic keep coming to mind. So I figured I would edit this before I forget what I want to say.

Your writing style is one of a kind. You leave nothing for the brain to have to imagine on its own. But not in an annoying lengthily description way.

I know I still need a lot of improvement, but it is always good to know that there are people who enjoy reading what I write.

I disagree. I think your writing is excellent. If you think that you can do better, then by all means please do. It will make your story all that much greater.

It seems as if you have put a lot of thought into this plot. I am sure that this story will be very long and entertaining. I am at the edge of my seat… waiting for more.

Last edited:

Abrogate Nadir

Obscure Shipper
    Years
  • Oh, whoops! Kudos for pointing out those two mistakes, Buoysel. I went and corrected them. Thank you for your kind words too. I appreciate you taking the time to review :) I have the general plot of the story mapped out from start to finish (though some of the smaller details are less static) and hopefully it is one people will find original and enjoyable.

Yuoaman

I don't know who I am either.
    Years
  • Wow... Nice fan-fic. This is very interesting, and gives us a 'somewhat' plausible future, though I still have trouble dealing with James being the good guy lol

Anyways, good luck with this.

Pinhead

Won't you scream my name?
    Years
  • dude this fanfic is nasty. I love it i can't wait for more to come. Ill be checking every day now lol keep up the good work bro.

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    Okay, the next time I have to enter this thread to stab someone, an infraction is going to be used as my weapon as choice.

I figure that Abrogate appreciates any type of review. But the reviews from people who drink a gallon of lead paint before they post are annoying. It's nice that you like his story, but christ on a crutch, say something intelligent.

So next review that's nothing more but multiple exclamation points and "rit moar!!!!!!!!!" will get an infraction. And all following reviews that are like that.

Post Office Buddy

Trapped inside this Octavarium
    Years
  • Something intelligent. (Sorry Astinus, I had to =\)

On a serious note, I really like you style and the structure of your chapters. It's about time someone started writing longer fictions :).

I'm a little surprised that Ash evolved his Pikachu, but you did pretty well with it. The war between Kanto and Johto was a shock as well, but I figured someone here would grasp that kind of idea eventually. I'm glad it was you at least.

Lol, reading through the reviews, I noticed the "about five o'clock" thing. I think it would be pretty awesome if an actual clock were to say that, even if it is a little vague on the actual time...

Back