• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Unwanted Starter Playthroughs

Blaziken15

You gotta purty mouth!
    Years
    I don't know if this is just me or not but I'm not one to go threw the game just with my starter but it seems I've been doing that more often in this Gen.

In my black, I've beaten three gyms and my Pignite is at Lv 33.

I'm wanting to know if anyone else is feeling this way.

Years
    I don't feel this way at all, quite the opposite actually. I'm constantly finding myself dropping pokémon in and out of my team in favour of others & I've only just obtained the Bolt Badge. I have the tendency to drop my starter completely because I prefer using other pokémon who suit my style of play, however, surprisingly enough, I've still stuck with my water-starter 3 gyms in. All of my pokémon are at the same level and I really don't feel as if there isn't enough of a selection of other pokémon to compel me to resort to solely using my starter for a majority of the battles.

Years
    i just got my seventh badge and my emboar is about level 65. there aren't many good pokemon to get early in the game so i dont catch anything and just use my starter

Guy

just a guy
    Years
    Because this can apply to just more than Black and White, but every generation of starters as a whole, I'm going to move this on over to Pokémon Gaming Central.

I'm actually the opposite as I enjoy having my starter part of my team. There has only been a few times in the past when I chose not to use my starter and that was back in the third generation when playing through Ruby. I had played so many files on that game that I just decided to try something new. Otherwise, my starter is normally apart of my team.

As for the rest of my team, I'm usually constantly swapping between Pokémon. I've never kept my starter the main leading Pokémon with the highest level. I've always kept my team balanced and intend to continue it like that. Having more Pokémon gives your team variety, which in return can be pretty fun. Sure it might take time to train them all, but I enjoy it to say the least.

Last edited:

Yusshin

♪ Yggdrasil ♪
    Years
    I've switched Pokemon a few times ('am at Skyla).

I've swapped Cubchoo for Panpour.

I've swapped Servine for Sawsbuck.

Usually I always keep my starter, but Sawsbuck suits my needs better (and is stronger imo).

I never solo the game with one Pokemon. I could, but it's not fun for me. My brother played like that and frankly, it ticked me off.

That's why I have 65 Level 55 Pokemon in Leaf Green (all different). I don't use 80% of them, but I don't like to leave usable Pokemon at low levels if I can power grind them.

Years
    • Seen Mar 3, 2015
    I don't go through the whole story with just my starter, but I always have it in my party at least until the story is finished. The other slots in my party are always constantly changing though, but if I'm answering your question then no, I haven't used just only my starter. I've actually enjoyed going through Black with changes on my team every now and then. As for the other games, again no, I have never gone through multiple gyms or areas with just the one starter because I like to have more than one pokémon on my team at all times.

Heart Gold

Jellicent Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Feb 6, 2012
    I usually keep my starter but for HG I dropped it in favor of Gyarados.

In Black I'm keeping my Servine simply because I love Serperior and have some plans for it in competitive game-play later on. If I don't find a starter that looks appealing to me I usually just drop it. Throughout the game I try to have a team of 5-6 Pokemon all the same level, once I find what I want.

Drilbur, Panpour, and Servine for the win!

Update: I've just found Cottonee and I'm torn between it and Servine. I can't decide if I want the fluffy cottonball sheep or the snazzy serpent.

Last edited:
    Years
    In earlier games I would just have a powerleveled starter that ripped through teams by itself, but I found myself focusing on other Pokemon much more in this game. By the Elite 4, my Samurott was the lowest level member of my team. I had too much fun with Darmanitan, Excadrill and Reuniclus to really focus on him.

solarowl

I'll always be an Outsider.
    Years
    I always use my starter, but I also try to balance out my team so my starter doesn't get to level 100 while my others are level 20.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
    Years
    I ALWAYS keep my starter and even build my whole team around it. I can't imagine a team without a starter Pokemon, it's just a weird concept. But I haven't solo-played with my starter since my first play-through on Red.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    I ditch my starter when I wanna use other stuff, or if I can't use it for whatever challenge I'm doing. Generally though, I always keep my starter on my team. I feel bad for ditching them usually. So yeah.

I never solo. I get bored if I try, because I like having full teams of six.

Novia

Psyduck Fangirl <3
    Years
    • Seen Apr 16, 2011
    I'm the opposite actually, I started out with a solo run with Snivy, but I found it so difficult that I had to raise a team with it to advance. My Krookodile ended up getting me through most of the elite four instead of my Serperior :\

Last edited:
    Years
    The only time i ever did that was in Pokemon Yellow with Pikachu ahah :)
    Right now in Black, my team is balanced. I always try to have my pokes at the same level, and even though it takes a while to train, its worth it. Of course my Dewott is in my team, ive never played pokemon without the starters!

Years
    I usually balance my team, but with Black I ended up playing the entire game using primarily my starter. Which I managed to beat all 8 gyms, and the elite four using only my starter (and a lot of Full Revive Herbs)

I want to get White (I regret not getting white ...) and I will likely balance out my team and focus on it more.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
    I used to be one of those people who couldn't even imagine playing through a game without always using the starter but... a lot of the games I played recently, I didn't even use a starter. :s

I didn't really like any of the starters in gen 4 & 5 a lot. I find most of them pretty boring and in gen 5 especially, I just have so many favourites that I can't fit them into 5 Pokémon surrounding a team "leader". So I've taken to making my own starter Pokémon. :p I typically start each game with a Cherubi and often a handful of others that I like. It's a lot more fun. My team may not have as strong a rock to cling to when the going gets tough but at least I'm not stuck toting around a Pokémon I don't really like.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    Back then, the only Pokemon that I trained was Swampert in Sapphire. I have since learned to train my Pokemon equally, or close to equally, as possible. I don't release my starter ever.

Back