• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Up, Up, and Away!

starseed galaxy auticorn

[font=Finger Paint][COLOR=#DCA6F3][i]PC's Resident
Years
  • So, what is your stance on flying? Have you ever flown by airplane? Or are you perhaps one of those people who hates it? For those that haven't, do you want to fly someday? For those that have, where did you go?

I've never flown before in my life, but my parents both have. They said it's not that bad. I'm a little weary of flying because of different reasons. I wouldn't mind trying it, but it'd be quite hard since I've developed a slight fear of it.

Nolafus

Aspiring something
    Years
  • I'm either fine with flying with no fear at all, or it's my biggest phobia. There is no in-between.

I've flown more times than I can count. For me, it's a hassle because of the security checks. My family flies to visit family across the country every other year, so it's not that special to me. I just find it amusing how every time we fly, my oldest brother expects to get perfect wifi for free that can stream Netflix without any problems. Last time we flew, that was his only entertainment plan, so when the wifi wasn't free, and couldn't support Netflix, he complained the entire two hour flight about being bored. I offered him one of my books (since I pack enough to entertain me for a month), but he doesn't like horror.

Also, my backpack gets pulled from the security check-line every time. Two times ago it was because I forgot to take a pair of scissors out. Last time they thought I was carrying explosives on the plane, but they found out it was just my Magic cards. I'm not a terrorist, just a nerd.

Flushed

never eat raspberries
    Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    I don't care for actually flying, but I love going to the airports. They're all just so interesting and the food choices are pretty decent, better than on the plane that's for sure

Years
  • I don't care for actually flying, but I love going to the airports. They're all just so interesting and the food choices are pretty decent, better than on the plane that's for sure

You LIKE airports?

I've always hated waiting in the luggage drop off, printing my ticket, walking through security, having my backpack examined every time, paying 5 bucks for a bottle of water and double the price for sub-par food court food (or quasi-luxury dining), having to wait in line to use the overcrowded bathrooms, all while, you must carry your luggage with you (can't leave unattended), claiming luggage after 8 people pick my bag up and examine it as if they didn't remember putting bright green tape on their bag, and then waiting in the terminal for a few minutes to a few hours (in some cases a day if there are T-storms).

The actual plane ride I love though, assuming I have a window seat and the person next to me doesn't rest their arm on my arm rest or in any way, shape, or form interact with my space or talk to me (I just don't care for making awkward small talk). I just want to look out the window, and if there are clouds it's great, if not, even better. I love looking the landscapes, it's not the same as looking a picture or movie.

Skip Class

previously zappyspiker, but rainbow keeps trying t
    Years
  • I've been flying from the bare age of 1 going to another city for my aunt's wedding. Since then I've flown multiple times around the country as well as to overseas. I don't really hate or like travelling by plane, for me it's just another way of getting somewhere.

Also I like airplane food. It's funny because most people I know hate it, but I actually like what I get to eat on the plane it's weird.

Only thing I really dislike is the pain you get in your ears as well as the blockage feeling when the plan goes up or lands. You don't feel it much while chewing gum, but sometimes that doesn't always work which is annoying.

Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2023
    I hate flying so much. Well, I hate the takeoff. Always feels like a wall crushing my chest.
    Being in the air and landing feels fine. Just hate the ear pressure.

CoffeeDrink

GET WHILE THE GETTIN'S GOOD
    Years
  • Flying is an amazing experience that everyone should try at least once in their time. While some may fear the things, I think they're great feats of engineering and piloting or flying is just such a cool thing.

However, I absolutely, positively hate the United States Airports. The illusion of security doesn't make people safe, and the best example I can use if the MW2 Mission: No Russian. Four guys show up with light machine guns? Absolutely no defence until the police arrive 10 minutes later. Take off your shows because someone put bombs in his once upon a time. And your laptop, and your devices, and your belt. It's like being stripped in public. I don't like it and it's humiliating not to mention unsanitary and a haven for athlete's foot. Even the former director for airport security and safety has stated likewise and that the current programs don't function as well as they should. Sure you catch the people dumb enough to take knives through the metal detectors, but fail to realize the people trafficking coke actually work for the airport, just like that guy that went nuts at LAX and started shooting at people; he worked for the airport. Ugh. Screw the airports.

Small plains, jets, helicopters, all are great machines and your experience can be ruined by the airports.

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    Flying is whatever to me I just hate how crowded it is. One day I'll get a first class ticket so I can experience flying in comfort.

maccrash

foggy notion
    Years
  • Flying is an amazing experience that everyone should try at least once in their time. While some may fear the things, I think they're great feats of engineering and piloting or flying is just such a cool thing.

However, I absolutely, positively hate the United States Airports. The illusion of security doesn't make people safe, and the best example I can use if the MW2 Mission: No Russian. Four guys show up with light machine guns? Absolutely no defence until the police arrive 10 minutes later. Take off your shows because someone put bombs in his once upon a time. And your laptop, and your devices, and your belt. It's like being stripped in public. I don't like it and it's humiliating not to mention unsanitary and a haven for athlete's foot. Even the former director for airport security and safety has stated likewise and that the current programs don't function as well as they should. Sure you catch the people dumb enough to take knives through the metal detectors, but fail to realize the people trafficking coke actually work for the airport, just like that guy that went nuts at LAX and started shooting at people; he worked for the airport. Ugh. Screw the airports.

Small plains, jets, helicopters, all are great machines and your experience can be ruined by the airports.
    man, you might want to extend your hatred of airports to all airports because if you ever fly to like Mumbai or even fucking Rome or something I imagine you'd really rather be flying out of a major (doesn't even have to be major) US airport. much more organized and much easier access to food, much more controlled, far smaller lines, etc. also I've never really been through any horror-story shit at an airport but security was giving a really old lady a hard time a couple months ago, that kinda sucked to watch. but I mean you take the good with the bad.

CoffeeDrink

GET WHILE THE GETTIN'S GOOD
    Years
  • The problem with the US airports is that it doesn't work. It's been noted to have serious flaws, but they cling to it like dull drones cling to. . . whatever dull drones cling to. Not all countries are so bad, sure going through the foreigner line might be a bit difficult, but flying from in-state to in-state it is not much better than riding a tricycle all the way there. It's bad, and deserves no defence.

Spiff

love child
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jun 30, 2023
    Bruh I'm a student pilot and I get a GRADE to fly an airplane everyday, it's awesome man. It's even funner when we do the sketchy maneuvers like stalls, spins and power-off landings.

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
    Years
  • Flying is fun. I've spent about a week in total traveling places by air. It's not too bad, I like to get the window seat and think about all of the things I could do if we started a nose dive to hell. I'd like to take some lessons for flying but I'd probably end up killing myself and the co pilot before I ever got the chance to pay them.

Also never get on a plane leaving Brussels. They are fucking dicks.

Years
    • Seen today
    I love flying. It's so much fun. Even long plane rides are things I enjoy, as long as I have something to pass the time when I'm not gazing out the window.

I love airports so much. They're so busy and lively. Everyone rushing to where they need to be, it's so invigorating for me.

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
    Years
  • I must say that even though I'm feeling weary at times, I like flying (by riding an airplane, that is), because I can see skies on the window.

Psychic

Really and truly
    Years
    • Seen Apr 11, 2018
    I've been lucky in that I've been flying since I was pretty young, so I'm fairly used to it. The most interesting parts are usually takeoff and landing, and I tend to fall asleep once we reach cruising altitude, haha.

I've also learned that I much prefer flying alone - I get a lot more stressed out if I'm with somebody, especially my family (my mother is a pro at getting stressed).

~Psychic

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2016
    I have been flying plenty of times, first when I was 8 years old. Recently mostly to South Africa.

Klippy

L E G E N D of
    Years
  • Flying is great. I can't stand it for longer than four hours cause I get a bit stir-crazy...but I love the feeling of being in a plane, I love the ambient/white noise of a plane. I've been in big planes, along with a helicopter and a small two-person plane and I gotta say that I would LOVE to learn to fly and get a nice small plane to cruise around in.

There's just no feeling quite like it and it's amazing.

Years
  • I had to fly by plane when I went to visit my parents back in November - roughly a two-hour trip, not including any layovers.

The biggest problem I have with traveling by plane? The anxiety up until takeoff. I'm fine in airports. I'm fine when I'm actually up in the air (although I feel kind of like I'm always on the alert for things). But until I'm actually up in the air, I'm really nervous about things. It's not that I've even had any personal bad experiences with planes, I'm just...nervous in general.

Okay, I guess liftoff is kind of fun, and also kind of dreadful just because I'm not the most fond of that sinking feeling in my stomach.

Even with all that considered, though...it does beat traveling by something like car. The example above: 2 hours in planes versus 17+ hours by car? Yeah I will gladly take the plane.
    Also I like airplane food. It's funny because most people I know hate it, but I actually like what I get to eat on the plane it's weird.
    All I've gotten lately on airplanes is soda. Yeah I know all I've traveled in the past decade are shorter flights so it's not like I'd get a meal or anything, but they don't even give out the packets of pretzels they used to, yeesh.

Klippy

L E G E N D of
    Years
  • All I've gotten lately on airplanes is soda. Yeah I know all I've traveled in the past decade are shorter flights so it's not like I'd get a meal or anything, but they don't even give out the packets of pretzels they used to, yeesh.

Most airliners don't offer food anymore unless you buy it. I bought a snack pack to & from Hawaii and, while filling, was not worth $10. The good ol' days was when they used to offer those delicious hamburger things or salad or anything. :'( That is definitely something I miss when flying.

Back