• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen US or EU version

Oxnite

aka Arbok
    Years
    • Seen Dec 18, 2016
    People, I'd like to know how to check what kind of Pearl version you have: a US or European version.

If this isn't the right forum, please move the thread.

Feign

Clain
    Years
    • Seen Jan 25, 2023
    You can do so on the cartridge itself

I have AUS, USA and UKV games (from travelling XD)

Pyrax

Midnight Guest
    Years
    • he/him
    • UK
    • Seen today
    I've got the UK diamond.
    There's not much if not no differences between the US verson and the european english language version.

Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2009
    People, I'd like to know [S-HIGHLIGHT]how to check[/S-HIGHLIGHT] what kind of Pearl version you have: a US or European version.

If this isn't the right forum, please move the thread.

Since most of the posters here somehow misinterpreted what was being asked...

At the bottom of the game label should be a string of letters, which reads "NTR-APAE-" and is followed by three more letters. Those three letters determine which version the game is. If your game is a NTSC-USA version, then those letters will read "USA".

Last edited:

Oxnite

aka Arbok
    Years
    • Seen Dec 18, 2016
    Since most of the posters here somehow misinterpreted what was being asked...

At the bottom of the game label should be a string of letters, which reads "NTR-APAE-" and is followed by three more letters. Those three letters determine which version the game is. If your game is a NTSC-USA version, then those letters will read "USA".

Yup, that's what I meant.

And are you able to check what version (UK / USA / EUR) you have ín the game itself? Is there something different, like a different 'number' in the title screen for example?

Edit: is the following statement true?

USA versions of DP show 'ESRB notice' in the beginning of the game, European versions don't.

Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2009
    Yup, that's what I meant.

And are you able to check what version (UK / USA / EUR) you have ín the game itself? Is there something different, like a different 'number' in the title screen for example?

Edit: is the following statement true?

USA versions of DP show 'ESRB notice' in the beginning of the game, European versions don't.

Honestly, since I have never actually played a European version of either game, I cannot say for certain. The label should really be proof enough nine times out of ten, however, and the tenth time is usually in the case of a counterfeit game, in which case there are other ways to tell.

...Of course, if the language of the game is French or German, that also tends to be a decent way to know.

Years
    (Having seen that I failed at reading the topic...)

The game card should have a serial below the main part of the Pokémon logo. With Pearl I believe it's "NTR-APAP-USA" if it's an American version or "NTR-APAP-EUR" if it's a European (unsure as to whether this is correct, having only owned American game cards).

Zebra Thunderhead

the avenger
    Years
    Well, we did all miss that part of the thread then. Though, I'll keep it open since it's spawning some fair enough discussion, if that's alright with the thread creator. If not, let me know.

Feign

Clain
    Years
    • Seen Jan 25, 2023
    I didn't miss it, though I didn't mention it in great detail :P XD

I imagine Spain might have SPA etc FRA for france.

The Aussie rating system doesn't show up either, but their system is a lot more lax than the US one, but their games are a lot more expensive.

Britney's Circus

Livin' In Sin Is The New Thing
    Years
    • Seen Dec 29, 2009
    My Platinum is from EU but i think the American games show the ESRB at the start.

spike6958

TCG Collector
    Years
    • Age 35
    • UK
    • Seen Apr 30, 2021
    An easy way to know is to just look at the case, if you have a thin black case it's a US version, if it's a thick see-through case it's EU version.

I myself i have a US Diamond, a UK Pearl, and a UK Platinum, i did have a US Platinum, but i lost it along with my DSlite.

Last edited:
    Back