• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

News US Supreme Court rules against affirmative action

Years
  • So I fully understand this, what is affirmative action? Bare in mind I'm not from the US.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Online now
    So I fully understand this, what is affirmative action? Bare in mind I'm not from the US.
    Not sure I'm going to explain this well, but basically it's a thing where historically disadvantaged groups are given extra weight when being considered for, say, being accepted into a college/university: i.e. if you're a racial minority, that helps you get hired/accepted.

It became a thing in the US in the wake of the civil rights movement, with the intent being to help Black people catch up in American society given the country's widespread institutional racism and the socioeconomic disparity that comes with that. Usually conversations about it are in regards to racial minorities getting accepted into colleges, though it can also apply to other groups (women, LGBTQ, etc) and for other things (getting hired for a job).

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
    Years
  • The funny thing about affirmative action is that Black people truly very rarely, if ever, benefitted from affirmative action policies. For the most part, according to various studies, White women benefitted the most from affirmative action policies. This is mainly because such policies helped women in general more so than racial minorities, and of course, because the United States is 60% White, most of the women that benefitted were White. A common misconception is that Black people benefit from it the most, resulting in a bunch of unqualified Black people getting positions that they don't deserve. However, a quick Google search proves that this notion is completely wrong. What makes this ruling alarming is that affirmative action is not solely based upon race, but only the race portion of the affirmative action policies were struck down. Of course, gender, LGBT identity, having a disability, and so on are also considered in affirmative action policies. As a result, (White) women, LGBT people, people with disabilities, etc. are still likely to be considered, but people of certain of races, especially Black people, are mostly going to be affected. However, it's not actually all bad. Evidence also proves that Black people are still highly discriminated against regarding college admissions compared to other groups. Even if the Supreme Court ruled against affirmative action, discrimination in America is still illegal. This means that if any person of any racial group is discriminated against regarding college admissions, they still have the right to sue for equality. Therefore, albeit this ruling might seem like a big deal, it really isn't. Affirmative action policies are not the only way to fight for equality.

Her

Years
    • Seen May 5, 2024
    yeah it's not a big deal that to assert your right to not be discriminated against, you have to have the finances to take on harvard university's lawyer department

Years
  • Yeah, not everyone has the finances and time to sue. So removing this policy seems harmful to this day.

Back