• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

"...Use as this attack" Clarification

JonnyPhoenyx

Steel Trainer and Proud
Years
  • Hello again.
    I came across some text today that I needed some clarification on (or at least a nudge in the right direction).

Zoroark (71/114) can use an attack of the defending pokemon's as it's own. Usually fire or lighting pokemon will have the requirement "discard X [R] or [L] energy attached to this pokemon" in order to use the attack. Obviously (well to me anyway), this would mean if Zoroark has none of that required energy attached, he doesn't have to discard anything to use some beatly attacks - which is one reason this card can be a serious threat.

However, if instead of "this pokemon" an attack reads (take the Undaunted Flareon for example) "discard an energy attached to Flareon" as a requirement. Does this mean in addition to not having to discard a selected energy, you get to discard an energy attached to the opposing Flareon?

On this same note, Espeon Prime can use any in-play Eeveelution's attack as it own. If the same flareon mentioned above is the target (whether on your side or the opponent's), would you discard an energy from Flareon as a requirement/result of the attack?

Or does this all fall under some errata I haven't come across yet?
    (And this pertains to any number of similar situations, not fust the Flareon.)

Years
  • With Zoroark copying attacks that require you to discard any cards, you would pay any discard costs that you can, and ignore others unless it's absolutely mandatory to do any damage, if I recall from looking this up elsewhere.

With Espeon, you would discard from Espeon, iirc, if you can pay the discard cost.

JonnyPhoenyx

Steel Trainer and Proud
    Years
  • Helpful as always! Thanks Donavann!
    So, if a specific pokemon is listed under the discard requirements, you would ignore that requirement and strictly do damage in Zoroark's case. But in Espeons, it would take on the energy discard requiremnt of the said Flareon, correct?

Tanaki

←Lazy ADHD Trainer
    Years
  • Foul play just really lets you copy any of your opponents attacks, and you copy any benefits and downsides to the attack if applicable. If you have a fire energy attached to Zoroark and the attack you copy says you have to discard a fire energy, then you have to discard it. If you don't have one attached, then you don't. If the attack you copy inflicts recoil to the pokemon that uses it, then you take that damage, too, and so on and so forth.

As long as the attack you're copying doesn't have text along the lines of "if you cannot [perform X], this attack does nothing" then you can use any attack as long as Zoroark has the 2 necessary energy for Foul Play.

Back