• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Username or irl name?

Pokemon Trainer Touko

春野サクラ ♥
Years
  • I only call them by their real name if they allow me to :D And I like being called Kelsey or Touko online instead of Pokemon Trainer Touko because those are my real names xD;

Patatas Fritas

bajo el mismo sol ღ
    Years
  • It depends on the person/where I'm talking to them.

Like mostly on PC I'll call people by their usernames if referring to them in a thread so people know who I mean, but if they've said it's okay for their real name to be public I call them by that over VM's and generally in msn chats I call people by their real name unless they request otherwise.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
  • I like to call people by their real names/RL nicknames. Or nicknames made from their usernames. I only call someone by their full username if I'm referring to them where people may not know them, being really polite or being really nasty to them. It sounds confusing but you can totally tell how I'm using it when I do lol.

I used to be more adamant about only friends referring to me as Anna, acquaintances as TSO, and everyone else by my full username. But since I really hate my username I've eased up on that lol. I'm pretty sure most people know me as Anna by now. I hope. tbh I get called by my username so rarely that I forget it sometimes. As in I don't remember my username is not "Anna" or some variation.

Years
  • [SIZE="a"]I would only call someone by their real life name if we were friends. Otherwise I just use their username or a shortened version of it.[/SIZE]

Years
  • I just really don't like the use of irl names online, so I rarely call people by their irl names.
    Exactly my opinion. The wonderful about most things online is that you don't have to use your real names, for some reason that's good for self-confidence. At least for me. If someone is exclusively known by their real name online, I will use that, but in any other situation, I'll always use the pseudonym (or an easier variation of it if it's long and/or complicated)

moments.

quixotic
    Years
  • I normally use their usernames, but it really depends on the individual and the context. Like, Gav (Abnegation) is one of the few I call by real name, mainly because it is significantly shorter is lazy, however, if it is in a thread and there are users involved who may not know his name, I will refer to him as Abnegation.

So yeah, depends on a lot, but 90% of the time, I use the username!

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • Normally by their username. I'll only use their real name if I'm either very comfortable with doing it, or if I see everyone else on the site use their real name. I prefer usernames, as if it was me I would rather other members just use my username. Of course, I keep my IRL name a heavily guarded secret, so...

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
    Years
  • My real life friends call me Went- so go figure XD I still find it incredibly weird whem someone online calls me by my name.

Honest

Hi!
    Years
  • Id call them by there actual name nine out of ten times. Its just easier. Thats only if I know their name, of course.

Years
    • Seen Aug 25, 2015
    I usually call them by their username, even if I know their IRL name. As for being called my IRL name online, I like only close friends online to call me by my name, but thats just me.

Uecil

[img]https://i.ibb.co/4jfYrCT/tHdpHUB.png[/img]
    Years
  • Depends on who the user is or whether or not they're comfortable with it.
    I don't really address people with their usernames or IRL names now.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    For public posts like these, I only use usernames; I have one because that's what I wish to be called here, and presume the same of others unless they actually request otherwise.

Years
    • Seen Apr 16, 2012
    I don't know anyone's name except for Shining Raichu ;_;. But.. like mostly everyone has said, it depends on what the person in question wants. I'm not here to step on any toes! O:-). It'd just be disrespectful to call someone by something they don't prefer. All though.. if you are used to it.. it is a little hard. I know this kid named Austin, his nickname was Chum ____(dawg, lee, chum, etc.). But he doesn't like that, so I'm not going to call him that. Although... sometimes I forget and it comes out, because that's what I was calling him since I met him. @_@

As for me? Call me whatever you want. If you want a response.. make sure I know you are talking to me. >.<

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
    Years
  • I'd prefer to call them by their real name if I know it, although if I'm talking to someone that doesn't know it then I'll go with usernames instead. It's just nicer and more communal imo to use real names since usernames are... idk. Just a bit too impersonal, yeah. That said though people often call me "leafy" since not that many people know or use my real name so that's fine too, as long as it's not just straight up "Razor Leaf".

TY

I always use their usernames, unless they ask or i know them very well.
    I like being called by my username, because it´s my nickname as well.

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
    Years
  • It depends on which name is shorter to type. I want to be called by my online names, so I usually call others by their online names. When I see my real name on the computer screen, I feel as if my computer is talking to me. Please don't give me such weird thoughts. ;c;

Years
  • I find it really odd when people call my by my username if it's on my profile or on MSN or something. I don't really mind when people do it it's just odd to see them do it x3
    For other users though if I know their real name and their cool with me saying it I'll usually call them by it. Also if the person has a long and overly complicated I'm going to call them by their name whether they like it or not x3

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2016
    Ah, well I usually just call people by their username. Sometimes people do ask me to call them by a different name sometimes too though, so it does depend.

Years
  • I don't think I know most people well enough to use their actual names. I don't often use anyone's name when I'm talking with them (with a few exceptions) and if someone else mentions another member I'll just use whatever name they use. There are a couple of people who seem to only really go by their names though (Nica, Nick, Derk, Gav, etc.) and I've fallen into using them, too, because everyone else does.

I have a nice, easy username so I'm always going to be called that. Even when I tell someone they can call me by my name I still get called by my username.

luke

Master of the Elements
    Years
  • I prefer my user name. My real life name (Luke) is so gross and I would HATE to be called that.

Back