• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Username or irl name?

Kevin

kevin del rey
Years
  • Only if I know them good enough. I would look weird calling a random person I barely know by their real name.

Alex

what will it be next?
    Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2022
    I remember back in the day when everyone would start addressing each other with our rl names, but everyone kept calling me Marz for a longer while cuz it was simple and easy to say. In terms of syllables, it was actually easier to say than my rl name which is Alex. But now I find it strange to address someone by their username if I know their real name. I just don't do it. As soon as I know their real name I use it haha.

Margot

some things are that simple
    Years
    • they/he
    • Seen Apr 16, 2022
    Usernames with people i've never really talked to before. If they personally never told me their first name, i'd feel really creepy calling them by it even if other people use it. However, once names have been confirmed and they don't mind, first names are the way to go :)

Raizhu

the end
    Years
    • Seen Feb 19, 2012
    I call a few members I know by their real names, but other than that I usually call them by their username or a nickname.

User19sq

For the most part, I call people by their usernames, because I don't like using their real names if it's uncomfortable, and also because I think everyone will agree with me when I say that usernames sound far cooler than our real names. XD

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
    Years
    • Age 8
    • +
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020
    I only call people by their real names if they choose to want to be called so, otherwise I stick by their usernames. If everyone tends to call them by their real name and it's much more simpler to do so, I go by that as well.

I know Kaori is much more simpler to be called by than my real name, so I like being called "Kaori" online instead. It all depends though.

Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2023
    [SIZE="a"]People usually shorten my name to Riku. Fine by me, as you're calling me by both my real and net names.[/SIZE]

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • It seriously depends for me. I guess when I get to know someone, I will fairly often use their RL name, but not all the time. I think it more depends on the person and the username.

There are some people for whom I use their username to address them. For example, even though he's one of my closest friends and I've known him for ages (and under several different usernames), I call Morkula "Mork" rather than his RL name. I always have and I almost feel that I always will. Same goes with Ausaudriel. When I met him a few years ago, the entire week(end) I called him Audy instead of his name. xD; My parents ended up calling him that too. Typically, unless someone tells me otherwise or their username just doesn't have a decent short version to use as a nickname, I'll use their username when I refer to them.

But there are some people I use their real names for. David (parallelzero) is one... for his excuse, he used to change his username ALL the time and never really had a proper alias or anything so using his real name was the natural solution. Another, Jeff (Aegis) was because I hated pronouncing Aegis and wasn't sure which G it was pronounced with (hard or soft). Plus now that he's my roommate it'd be kind of weird. xD; Andy (Arcanine)... I don't even remember when we started using each other's names... I always get so weirded out when I trawl through the archives and find threads where we're talking to each other saying "I agree with Arcanine" or "Well, I think what Lightning meant was..." haha. Others are Derrick, Nica, and so on. I associate their name with them more than their username so that's what I use.

Sometimes there's no rhyme or reason to what I use. I just don't really have a proper algorithm for how I work. :'D

Arcanine

There is no "-tina"
    Years
  • If I know their real name I'll use it (because if I talk to them enough to know their name I should be calling them that and not still taking the easy way out and use their username). But sometimes I'll come up with a random nickname for people and call them that.

johnny18

Kiss Me Like It's Do or Die
    Years
  • I normally just call them by their username unless they they tell me the name they want me to call them XD

Years
    • Seen Oct 12, 2011
    I dont talk to people
    Username or irl name?

Last edited:

AlfaTyrogue

Swag.
    Years
  • For the most part I call people I got to know online by their username, since that is how I knew them until I learned their IRL name.
    People I knew IRL before knowing their username, however, are ALWAYS called by their real name. They shouldn't be reduced to someone from the internet!

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
  • It's usually usernames for me. I feel a bit awkward calling my friends or members by their IRL names. I find it more appropriate to just address them by their usernames (or call them shorthand) lol.

BHwolfgang

kamikorosu
    Years
  • It really depends on how close we are, and the fact that if I know that member's irl name or not. I prefer to call someone by their real name. However, even if I know what their real name is, I still won't call them that till we become closer. Although there are times when I do call someone by their nickname.

I don't know, it just feels weird for me to converse with a stranger for the first time and we both already know each other's names. Either we both stalked each other for a while, or by some coincidence we found out each other's names at the last second...

Skip Class

previously zappyspiker, but rainbow keeps trying t
    Years
  • What I call people:
    Of course it depends who it is, per say if I knew them before PC, I call them whatever I usually call them.
    My pair Miyako: Pix, Totoquil: Toto, Spitfire: Spitty/Spitteh, LiamTheWolf: Wolfy/Wolfeh, Roswell: Haru

Sometimes if the person has changed their username since they first met me, I'd call them by their original username:
    ♣Gawain♣: Rigel, Awesome.: PIA, Smugleaf: Xeo

If I start calling someone by a nickname/ slightly shortened version of their name... It'll usually stick:
    Spinosaurus: Spiny, Hybrid Trainer: HT, Shakespeare: Shakey, Anastasia.R: Ana

Some people I call/ sometimes call by their real name:
    Caliban: Mia, MisheardWhisper: Thomas, TheSmartOne: Anna, LiamTheWolf: Liam, xBlackthornWolfx: Sara magicalraptors: Teya

Other people I call by their full username if I don't know them that well.

What people call meh:
    To most I'm called Zappy. I like that than rather by the full zappyspiker knowing I've had this username since I was 6. I like my username but when you've had it for almost 11 years it kinda gets old that's why I stick to Zappy more.
    My close friends, or when someone wants something from me they call me Zappeh which is the opposite to what I call them - me usually adding eh to the end of their names like Wolfeh, Spitteh and Pixeh.

Some call me by Tripp, though it's my nickname on FanFic.Net - When people review my work and such they either call me Tripp-san or Zcyler-san which is funny cause I don't here -san unless I'm on fanfic.

Zcyler is pretty much my newish username for some places like Twitter, FanFic.Net and YouTube and such.

I like it when people call me by my real name, though only a few know and call me by it... but usually I get asked before people call me that name...

Back