• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

"Using a pirated copy of Windows 7 or 8? No problem." says Microsoft

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    I'm pretty OK with this, actually. Seeing as these pirates are pretty darned unlikely to be paying for Windows anyway, might as well as turn them legitimate for whatever reason.

Beside... we sure could use more OSes without any thing funky going on behind the scenes.

Though, at this rate, what's stopping Microsoft from just making Windows 10 free to download to anyone without any pre-requisites?

Years
  • There's going to be that one consumer that will whine to Microsoft and be like "HEY! THAT'S NOT FAIR! I PAID FOR THAT!" I wanna say.

Honestly, it's no biggie. I'm sure that usage of these older operating systems will still cost money to get and activate, it's Windows 10 that will remain free. I wonder for how long though? Who knows..

Salzorrah

[font=Montserrat][b][color=#66CC66]g[/color][color
    Years
  • OMFG yes...

I don't want to be rude or anything, but I actually have the pirated version running ;; But, arachnidsGrip will always be a pir8 so bleh...

Anyways, if Microsoft actually allowed that, then they are pretty serious when it comes to all users upgrading to 10, and moving away from 7 and 8... and even XP for those who still use them,,,

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
    Years
  • I'm okay with it, since not all of us are using legit Windows at this time (I was one of them back then, in Windows xp days). Probably it's one of the good ways for any of us to go legal at some point, and sometimes I'm wondering if Windows 10 will be free to use, though.

KorpiklaaniVodka

KID BUU PAWAA
    Years
  • I'll be honest and say that I am using a pirated version of Windows 8.1, and I have no problems with it, except when I had to reinstall it three weeks ago due to some heavy glitches with my graphics card's driver.

Nobody in Romania or Eastern Europe cares about piracy and I'm glad the whole ACTA shit failed back in 2012. Free software is the future imo.

obZen

Kill Your Heroes
    Years
  • Windows 10 will be free, but it will not be supported, acc. to this.
    Besides, if Windows 10 has some sort of subscription-based BS, it means little to nothing if you get the .iso CD for free.

Years
    • Seen Apr 21, 2024
    Seems like they're taking a page from Apple's book, whose last two operating systems have been available for free, by attempting to migrate everyone they possibly can to their latest operating system. Smart move, especially considering their operating systems are usually overpriced to the max and complicated to choose between since there's usually so many variations of them available.

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
    Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    Well I'm ok with this. I'm using Pirated Windows 7 and I don't feel bad either. Or buying a 7 version that is not original but cheaper than ori price

Salzorrah

[font=Montserrat][b][color=#66CC66]g[/color][color
    Years
  • Me being stupid here but, shouldn't they make a 9 first? Like 9 could be a prototype?

The reason why there isn't a 9 is because of backward-compatibility issues, I believe, since it interferes with 95 and 97 coding? Correct me if I'm wrong. So they skipped 9 and went to 10... tbh thats okay, atleast it's not 360 then went to 1 :P

Years
  • Me being stupid here but, shouldn't they make a 9 first? Like 9 could be a prototype?

The reason why there isn't a 9 is because of backward-compatibility issues, I believe, since it interferes with 95 and 97 coding? Correct me if I'm wrong. So they skipped 9 and went to 10... tbh thats okay, atleast it's not 360 then went to 1 :P
    Not at all. Microsoft could have easily gone with "Windows 9" if they wanted to, but they opted with 10. Why? They want to unite all of their platforms (Windows OS, Windows RT, Windows Phone OS, etc) into one, and they thought 10 was a sufficient name to indicate such.

Source: http://www.techradar.com/us/news/so...oose-windows-10-instead-of-windows-9--1267366

Buoysel

Trust me, I'm a Professional*
    Years
  • Seems like they're taking a page from Apple's book, whose last two operating systems have been available for free, by attempting to migrate everyone they possibly can to their latest operating system. Smart move, especially considering their operating systems are usually overpriced to the max and complicated to choose between since there's usually so many variations of them available.
    Window's isn't over priced compared to other software out there. Remember Adobe CS5? $999! Don't even get started on server software... now that is over priced.

Me being stupid here but, shouldn't they make a 9 first? Like 9 could be a prototype?

A lot of older software would check to see if a Windows installation is Windows 95 or 98 by using a wildcard (9*). So Windows 9 would be falsely identified, so they skipped the version.

Years
    • Seen Apr 21, 2024
    Window's isn't over priced compared to other software out there. Remember Adobe CS5? $999! Don't even get started on server software... now that is over priced.
    I was lucky enough to get the Adobe CS5 suite legally for like $60 with a really steep student discount, but I won't deny that it's really much more expensive than I think it ought to be without it. Still, for established people in those professional fields, it's not really too expensive. And I guess the same could be said for Windows, but Windows is an operating system that people need.

Back