• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Using Action Replays/Gamesharks

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
Years
  • What are your thoughts on people using cheating devices in the main storyline, for example? Like, using all TMs/HMs code before completing the storyline to get overpowered moves for the beginning of the game, getting Rare Candies, 999 Master Balls for easy captures, etc, even making Pokemon shiny if they want to ingame. Do you think that makes their playthrough of the game fake? Their Pokemon fake? Have you ever used a cheating device, or are you completely against them? (I hope this made sense)

Also remember don't give out codes here, just use Google!

Haseyo

쏘쿨
    Years
  • Who am I to tell someone what to do or not to do in their Pokemon games. I've used Gameshark back in Crystal version (had that special Crystal version Gameshark too) and I had fun. I replayed the game so many times that I got bored, had to spice it up somehow.

Years
    • Seen Jun 9, 2017
    Honestly, I have used Gamesharks before but only after i have already finished everything there is do. Hacking the game or using a walkthrough would bring no challenge at all.

Years
  • I don't really think that you need to use a cheating device to get through the main storyline, but that's just me. Plus it costs extra money, so I never really saw the point. RNG abuse is a completely different maybe irrelevant story though.

Haseyo

쏘쿨
    Years
  • As a kid, I found Chikorita with Fire Blast hilarious. It never really made it easier or harder for me. In-game has always been a joke for me, except Clair.

diab_low

All men live, only few exist.
    Years
  • Yeah I don't like it when people do it during the story line, I always tell them to finish the game first then use AR or GS

Years
  • I would never use a cheating device, it's bad. I mean it ruins the game.

My thoughts would be these people are trying to mod the game for fun, but I think it's silly cos I never support cheats. I agree with Diab_Low's post, cheating during the main story is a no-no.

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
    Years
  • I do use cheats during the main storyline. Not hugely game changing ones, just some that make it faster such as instant message and x2 walking speed. I do, sometimes[\i] use x2 EXP when I'm getting tired of grinding but otherwise I don't use huge cheats like all tm's and such. I save them for post-game. n_n

Plasmette

Master of Mediocrity.
    Years
    • Seen Jan 12, 2013
    I used it on my old Pearl game after I literally did everything. Got infinite money, completed the dex, all that. I also went and caught Darkrai and Shaymin.

Starsprite

This is how we live!
    Years
    • Age 26
    • TN
    • Seen Dec 25, 2016
    Usually the only cheating I'll ever do in game is for challenges. Sometimes Pokemon have to be hacked in at the start, and then it comes in handy. I don't use outrageous levels, mind, but rather the ones common for the route I'm hacking into.

I think I once did a playthrough with lots of hacking, but it quickly got old, and was not all that fun.

Sometimes it's fun to mess around with postgame. You can access event that you can't access anymore. Not that any Pokemon you catch during them are worth much, since you cheated. xD

Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2017
    I use cheats only after the main story, to complete the Pokedex, and only after I've caught and evolved every possible Pokemon in the game I'm playing.

It ruins the fun if you use it during the main story.

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    i use it for one and only one thing... Instant egg hatch no running around for 15 mins hatching eggs

Treecko

the princess without voice
    Years
  • I normally don't use them, but I am guilty of using a AR on two of my Mystery Dungeon Games before. One because my friend let me borrow his and I had to try it out at least once. The other time, I just really wanted infinite money. lol.

I'm not a big fan of cheating myself. I just prefer playing the game fairly as the creators intended. I don't really support it myself, but I think if you use a cheating device, you should wait to after you complete the main story.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
  • I used a cheating device when playing through Blue version for the 4 millionth time or so, but that's been the only time I've gone out and made the effort to do so. However, when I bought my copy of Platinum, I bought it pre-owned, and the staff in the shop had forgotten to erase the game of its contents, and I got a game with 999 Rare Candies, 999 Master Balls and 99 copies of every TM in the game! Which I exploited by transferring as many of them over to my SoulSilver as I could before restarting the game! :D

But as for me using cheating devices myself: no way, Jose. Part of it is thriftiness on my part, but the rest of it is not wanting to sully my experience with the game that I'm playing. I think I've matured from the days where I could only play games using cheat codes, and Pokemon is no exception in this regard.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • I don't understand why you'd bother playing the game if you're gonna cheat and take the easy way out. It's like if I did all the glitches in Ocarina of Time to beat it without completing a dungeon on my first playthrough or something. But it's their game, so I can't tell someone how to play.

As for other usages, I don't see a problem. Like 99x TMs in pre-gen V games. Or EV/IV checks etc. It really helps if you're an RNGer and cloning helps if you're a trader. I wouldn't mind having an AR for those uses personally. But I'd never use one to bypass the main game. Makes it boring.

Jacinth

~Darling~
    Years
  • I usually only use my brother's AR to get events I missed, or if I'm bored I'll go and catch other trainer's pokemon. XD But I never save with cheats on. (Unless it's for an event.)

Years
  • I've never had access to a Gameshark/Action Replay when playing through the Pokemon games, and never really considered wanting one. I guess it might be fun after you've finished the game to get a bunch of items or have Pokemon with strange movesets, but I wouldn't ever use it on my first playthrough of a game. I could also see it coming in handy for checking your Pokemon's IVs and EVs, especially if you are a trader.

~RNC~

Mother Of All Pokemon!!
    Years
  • I don't believe in using one during the story of the game, but since I am a big pokemon trader, I use an AR for all items and cloning and any thing used for services such as rare candies for level, but do not use those for the game until the end!!

AxeyWaxyWoo

Awesome Sauce Trainer
    Years
  • I had some fun with an AR some years ago, after the main story.
    But since then, I've never used a cheating device on any of my games (although I would hack if a challenge made it necessary. Such as going through the game with 1 specific Pokemon or something, and it wasn't obtainable at the start of the game).
    But even at that I don't do challenges like that. :P So I've never needed to.

I don't like having/using hacked Pokemon, so I'm not a fan of using hacking devices, and I personally don't use them in a normal playthrough of the game.
    The only hacks I would be fine with would be cloning and obtaining TMs and HMs (after the storyline) that can't be bought or obtained again once they break. But that's about it.

:)

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Jan 29, 2013
    I used it on Black and SoulSilver after I'd finished the game, so yeah I don't really mind using 'em. I don't know if I'd have done it during the main story... I didn't own my Action Replay until after I completed the main storyline anyway.

Back