• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Other] Using PokeCryGUI on Expanded Pokemon Roms? (FireRed)

Luigifan2010

Core God
Years
  • Hi guys, I've ultimately decided I'd go with FireRed as my first real rom hack. I've replaced cries on existing pokemon before but now I need some help with brand new Pokemon.

I took a BPRE (Fire Red US) and expanded it with Gen 3 Hacking Suite to accompany ~493-492 (nat dex showed 492). Decided I'd start with the last Pokemon, (which in the national dex technically would be Arceus). I filled out the data and such in G3HS and used Gen 3 Tools to reference the in game's ID. For this, it happens to be 545

Then, using the PokeCry from the post titled "[Tool] PokeCry: The Better Version" I pointed it to 545 and my wav file for and such and encoded it as I expect to. I then proceeded to test in game and found that my custom Pokemon still has Bulbasaur's cry.

I would use the Sappy based tutorial to insert a higher cry but all this hex editing is still a bit over my head, hence why I used the "Better Version" of PokeCry because it was said that it worked with "higher PokeID's". Also, I'd like to note that the rom can't be opened in PGE for some odd reason, otherwise I'd attempt repointing the cries based on the sample offset PokeCry gave me.

Any suggestions? What should I do here? Thanks,

Mike

Last edited:

GoGoJJTech

(☞゚ヮ゚)☞ http://GoGoJJTech.com ☜(゚ヮ゚☜)
    Years
  • Hi guys, I've ultimately decided I'd go with FireRed as my first real rom hack. I've replaced cries on existing pokemon before but now I need some help with brand new Pokemon.

I took a BPRE (Fire Red US) and expanded it with Gen 3 Hacking Suite to accompany ~493-492 (nat dex showed 492). Decided I'd start with the last Pokemon, (which in the national dex technically would be Arceus). I filled out the data and such in G3HS and used Gen 3 Tools to reference the in game's ID. For this, it happens to be 545

Then, using the PokeCry from the post titled "[Tool] PokeCry: The Better Version" I pointed it to 545 and my wav file for and such and encoded it as I expect to. I then proceeded to test in game and found that my custom Pokemon still has Bulbasaur's cry.

I would use the Sappy based tutorial to insert a higher cry but all this hex editing is still a bit over my head, hence why I used the "Better Version" of PokeCry because it was said that it worked with "higher PokeID's". Also, I'd like to note that the rom can't be opened in PGE for some odd reason, otherwise I'd attempt repointing the cries based on the sample offset PokeCry gave me.

Any suggestions? What should I do here? Thanks,

Mike

Don't use pokecry. It's old, it's bad, it's low quality. Use Sappy to import it. There's a tutorial by Chaos Rush on how to insert it, and use my post to assign it to an expanded Pokemon. (MY POST)

Back