• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Script: [V19+] Automatic Level Scaling

Years
  • Automatic Level Scaling

This Pokemon Essentials v21, v20, and v19 plugin will change wild and trainer pokemon levels according to the party pokemon levels. These pokemon are also going to evolve automatically depending on their level. You can choose between 5 initial difficulty options, but you can also easily create your difficulty options. All these features can also be disabled if you wish.

Download link
    GitHub repository

Installation

To install this plugin, extract the zip file into your game root folder.
    Then, you should check if you're already using variables 99 and 100 in your game. These are the variables that control trainer and wild pokemon difficulty, respectively.
    If you are already using these variables, go to the Settings.rb script and change the value to whichever variable you want to use to change the difficulty.
    In Settings.rb, you can also change some options, create other difficulty options, and enable more complex conditions for level scaling.
    This is everything you need to do to install the script, but you should also activate it by selecting a difficulty.

How to use

Selecting a difficulty

In order to change the difficulty, you should use an event to change the variable value according to the pre-defined difficulties. If you want to disable automatic level scaling, just set the variable value to 0. By default, all variable values are 0, so levels are not balanced unless you set these variables to one of the difficulties ids.

Here's an event showing some of the options to change difficulty:

1711658685598.png

Setting up gift pokemon, trades, fixed encounters

Whenever you find a field where you should insert a pokemon level (except for PBS), you can use the function AutomaticLevelScaling.getScaledLevel and the level will be automatically defined according to the currently selected difficulty.

Creating new difficulties

There are some pre-defined difficulties, but you can add your own new ones by using the function Difficulty.new(fixed_increase:, random_increase:) in Settings.rb.
    • fixed_increase is a pre-defined value that increases the pokemon level (optional)
    • random_increase is a randomly selected value between 0 and the value provided (optional)
    Note that these variables can also store negative values. Setting them to 0 would have the same effect as calling pbBalancedLevel($player.party) and removing two from the average.

Changing settings for a specific battle

You can use the function AutomaticLevelScaling.setTemporarySetting(setting, value) to apply a temporary change to a setting for a specific battle, all changes will be reverted after the battle. This is a new way to change settings in v1.4, based on Essentials setBattleRule function. You can simply insert the setting name in the first parameter and the value defined in the second, you should call it multiple times if you want to apply multiple settings. You can still use the older AutomaticLevelScaling.setSettings function if you prefer though.

AutomaticLevelScaling.setSettings does not automatically revert changes after the next battle and they will be permanent until the game is closed or new changes are made. You can use the
    temporary parameter to revert the changes after the battle. If you don't use it, don't forget to reset settings after the battle or series of battles. All arguments are optional and can be positioned in any order, use a value of the type indicated after the parameter name.

AutomaticLevelScaling.setSettings(temporary: boolean, update_moves: boolean, automatic_evolutions: boolean, includePreviousStages: boolean, proportional_scaling: boolean, first_evolution_level: Integer, second_evolution_level: Integer, only_scale_if_higher: boolean, only_scale_if_lower: boolean)

updateMoves: Set to false if you want to use the pre-defined moves in the PBS.
    proportionalScaling: When true, takes original level differences from the PBS into consideration when scaling levels.
    automaticEvolutions: Set to false if you don't want pokemon automatically evolving.
    includePreviousStages: When true, returns pokemon to their previous evolution stages if they did not reach their evolution level.
    firstEvolutionLevel: Select the level required for pokemon that don't evolve by level up to get to their mid-form.
    secondEvolutionLevel: Select the level required for pokemon that don't evolve by level up to get to their final form.
    onlyScaleIfHigher: When true, the script will only scale levels if the player is over-leveled.
    onlyScaleIfLower: When true, the script will only scale levels if the player is under-leveled.
    temporary: Only in setSettings. Restores all settings to their default values after the next battle.

Warning: setTemporarySetting uses camelCase for parameters and setSettings uses underscore_case.

Credits

You can credit Benitex, Joltik, and Umbreon. I wrote the script myself, but I was inspired by Joltik's Advanced Pokemon Level Balancing + evolution, and the default Essentials random dungeon script.

Years
  • What happened to Relic Castle is tragic, I've only heard about it today, as I was busy the rest of the week. I hope everybody can manage to restore their content.
    This is going to be the new thread for Automatic Level Scaling, I plan to continue answering questions and updating the script according to the suggestions posted here, please continue asking me how to implement the specific scaling feature you want for your game.
    Also, Automatic Level Scaling is always going to be available on the repository page on GitHub, so if you were looking for it on Relic Castle and couldn't find it, notice this is the best source for the most recent version of the script, regardless of the state of the other platforms I post it on.

Back