• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Other FULL] Vale Institute of Magic (M) (OOC/SU)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Colony

Poe and Palahniuk's Prodige
Years
  • Two people are in queue for the final two Aeromancer slots, Daisuke is being evaluated and Bait needs to finish. If both are accepted, then yes, there will be an equal amount of normal elements. Unfortunately, there needs to be some checking on the more inactive players.

ChaosCrystal

黒竜 影
    Years
    • Seen Feb 16, 2014
    Well, now i guess i should apologize for not posting in a while, work was gettignhecting with the anime cons gettign closer.

but anyway post up, tough crystal ends up going to bed, i guess if anyone wants to interact just show up and knock the doorm she's a really light sleeper =P

Songbird

Tonight, the marigolds bloom for her.
    Years
    • Seen Apr 11, 2024
    Just so everyone else knows, it's not nighttime yet.

Colony

Years
  • Songbird is correct, it's not nighttime. It is early afternoon, and after the in-IC announcement it'll be dinner/downtime.

@Daisuke Mitsuharu: Your spells are still a little vague. Vacuum Fist is really unclear in how it does "deep wounds," which also brings up the point of what qualifies as a deep wound. Quickstep is also very similar in concept to Thrust
    Spoiler:
    and I'd rather not have carbon copy spells. Either change the spell or explain it more effectively to clearly differentiate it from Thrust. This is a little bit of nit-picking, but your spells really don't match your character's personality. More importantly, the personality is not supported at all by the history, which is still very inconsistent. A reevaluation of what you'd like the character to be may be in order, seeing how there is a conflict in the character's design. I'm not really sure if this is intentional, but you seem to be trying a bit too hard to be fancy with your writing. If you would focus more on writing naturally instead of trying to be grandiose, then your writing would be more coherent and less muddled. Sorry it took so long to get back on the matter.

ChaosCrystal

黒竜 影
    Years
    • Seen Feb 16, 2014
    Songbird is correct, it's not nighttime. It is early afternoon, and after the in-IC announcement it'll be dinner/downtime.

Wow early afternoon i tough it was barely past mid day =P, dang Crystal won't be gething much rest before dinner then.

Woooo dinner time, nothing like some food to recharge body and spirit =P, hmm i wonder what will be for dinner.

Daisuke Mitsuharu

Punching Bag
    Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2023
    Nah. It's alright. I'll get to work right away. And about that, it's more of my writing style, but I'll tweak it slightly to be more coherent. Thanks for the input. Will let you know when it's revised.

Master_Bait

にょろーん~
    Years
  • @Kenneth: wait, was that pic already used? should have read the rest of the SUs here, dangit

@Colony: actually, Release Shot is just a technique that can be done during Vacuum Dance. if it's treated as a spell, i think i have to change Vacuum Dance that it can support Release Shot's effect.

Spoiler:

as soon as I know your answers, i can finish this right away. i already have Ethan's history and personality in me handy-dandy notebook, so i can implement that when the necessary changes will be made. hope i can make it in time xD

Songbird

Years
    • Seen Apr 11, 2024
    @Colony: actually, Release Shot is just a technique that can be done during Vacuum Dance. if it's treated as a spell, i think i have to change Vacuum Dance that it can support Release Shot's effect.

Spoiler:

as soon as I know your answers, i can finish this right away. i already have Ethan's history and personality in me handy-dandy notebook, so i can implement that when the necessary changes will be made. hope i can make it in time xD

It would be treated as the same spell, but the way you listed it separates it into two, which breaks the maximum spells you can currently have.

Regardless, the main problem now (since we started that with Mimi and his character) is that your choice in spells is too similar to existing ones—even "Vacuum Dance" is extremely close to Geoff's "Vacuum Fist" spell in name and effect alike, and Geoff's spells need to be changed in the first place due to their similarity with Shion's spells. Along with it, you need to explain Ethan's "Wind Armor" spell better—how is it supposed to work? Plus, is it able to protect him from the damage he can deal to himself from a physical fighting style? Like Geoff's spells, yours are eerily close to Shion's.

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

And frankly, I don't even need to see the history you have cooked up to know Ethan's supposed to be a martial artist; it's extremely obvious, and it's pissing me off (not exactly your fault). Counting Geoff (who needs alteration as per Colony's post), that would make three that are also aeromancers.

There are no long-range aeromancers. The closest we have is Gassy, and he's not particularly offensive. xD

That's about it; at least what I can think up on my empty stomach. Off to dinner!

EDIT: That was a lot nicer than it sounded in my head. >_>

Last edited:

Colony

Years
  • Thanks Songbird, couldn't say it any better myself. My, how much stuff happens when I'm driving back to my house...

Master_Bait

にょろーん~
    Years
  • oh my. i think i have to rewrite my SU, ne~

changes will be made and i'll include the information missing by then. a question first.
    Spoiler:

Songbird

Years
    • Seen Apr 11, 2024
    Please edit your original post instead of making a new one. It clutters things making multiple posts for a single SU.

Master_Bait

にょろーん~
    Years
  • Spoiler:

a little competition is nice though. i think i can post my finished SU tomorrow (in Philippine time. I made my SU on my phone, and i only have a time limit in using our computer. curfews and all that...)
    so may the best man win, nya~

Spoiler:

Last edited:

Colony

Years
  • One of the RPers is on a probation of sorts. If they do not post within 48 hours another slot will open up, and it just so happens to be an Aeromancer.

Edit: I'm posting for Allen Hawke and Kristen Vale. I apologize for their very short length, but there really wasn't a lot to work with.

Songbird

Years
    • Seen Apr 11, 2024
    @Impossiperiod, a few concerns with your SU.

On the spells, Arpeggio is mostly fine, but it's very vague about its range of effect. Are its range and power supposed to be completely dependent on how much energy she's using? Bariolage is overpowered for what it does. It can "deflect most spells or projectiles" over a wide enough range to protect multiple people, and even lets Yukio use offensive spells without releasing the barrier. Especially for someone who's had essentially no prior training for such a spell (and the history's description of how she seems to have control issues in the midst of chaos like on a battlefield where she could be actively attacked), this shouldn't be remotely possible. Likewise, Cadenza is, although a short-lived spell and has moderate consequences toward Yukio, too powerful ("The gust of wind has the ability to deflect or collide with whatever projectile or element it is casted at or that is casted at it," for example), and it lacks anything to particularly separate it from Arpeggio. Arpeggio could achieve the same effect just through a stronger output. (Also, "mental freshness" makes me think of those annoying vaginal freshness commercials that are always on TV.)

For the personality and history, spacing. They're single-spaced, and it's a pain in the ass to read.

Concerning the personality, Yukio seems to contradict herself on multiple fronts. Yukio is described as a calm and curious person, and she "actively seeks understanding," yet she's perfectly content that "Whatever comes will come and there's nothing that you can do to stop it, no matter what you think." It may be pickiness, but a curious person seeking understanding would usually at least think of what other possibilities there are, no? How does she not act on impulse even once in a while? There's also the point about how she's active during activities, but she's described as an introvert. While it's perfectly possible, you need to explain this a good bit better for it to actually make sense. Lastly—and this one just seriously pisses me off instead of being an actual problem with the sheet—is how she hums and sings when she's intrigued. It's not the singing that pisses me off—it's the idea that you're going to be using words to describe her singing. That doesn't work. Ever. Just thought you needed to know.

Also, "Yukio still enjoys nothing more than to show off how much of a weirdo she is by wearing outfits that her grandmother would forbid." That's not weird. At all. That's freakin' Teenage Rebellion 101.

The second paragraph of the history is extremely vague, too. What qualifies as a "hectic or calculated chaotic setting" (not to mention that chaos is inherently not calculated)? The development in the paragraph is also completely dismissed. You bring up a lot of things, but they never get a second mention; why are these control issues never addressed? Why do you leave out literally everything about the "challenges" she faced? Other questions include, but are not limited to:

• Where the hell did grandma's "prophesizing" come from?
    • How does the rest of Yukio's family fall into this? Namely, the men. They may not have any magic capability, but surely it's not all just Yukio, her mother and her grandmother. Don't the men have some part to play in her development? For example, what happened with Yukio's dad? Did he abandon the family or something after finding out how Yukio had magic powers, too?
    • Why can't I see why kids love the taste of Cinnamon Toast Crunch?

Master_Bait

にょろーん~
    Years
  • One of the RPers is on a probation of sorts. If they do not post within 48 hours another slot will open up, and it just so happens to be an Aeromancer.

*initiate fistpump*
    but seriously, i kinda feel bad for those who lost the spot. and just like what Impossiperiod said...

I hope we both get in! nya~

Colony

Years
  • Glad to see the enthusiasm. I suggest you put that into writing your SU. The sooner you finish it the quicker we can review it.

Impossiperiod

The Impossible Period
    Years
  • @Songbird -- I'll actively update this as I answer your questions and edit my SU. Granted this was a bit rushed after I saw that someone else had posted the want for the spot so I didn't spend much time reading it through afterwards. I admit it was a leap to have the GMs know right away that there was someone else wanting to apply for the last Air weilder position and the reason that it is single spaced is because I didn't edit from copy and pasting from my own personal OpenOffice document, I just posted before I shoved off to school this morning. Again, I'll fix things and patch it up just know that it was a little rushed. I'm sorry I caused some trouble for you to understand and read it and yes, now that I read it I agree with you on many - but not all - of your concerns.

Thanks,
    -- Impossiperiod

UPDATE: I've updated and reformatted the SU. All the changes are in green and can be found on her SU.

• Two of Yukio's skills have had their descriptions changed completely.
    • "Bariolage" has been tweaked to handicap Yukio as she shouldn't have the power to both create and maintain a barrier and use spells.
    • I've attempted to clear up some contradictions in her "personality" section.
    Also, to answer your questions:

• "Where the hell did grandma's 'prophesizing' come from?"
      • I said grandma prophesized just as she inferred, I thought I'd use what I had thought to be a better word.
    • "How does the rest of Yukio's family fall into this? Namely, the men. They may not have any magic capability, but surely it's not all just Yukio, her mother and her grandmother. Don't the men have some part to play in her development? For example, what happened with Yukio's dad? Did he abandon the family or something after finding out how Yukio had magic powers, too?"
      • In the thought of trying to keep it short and to the point I cut out the family and left out names. Yukio's father does not matter in this sense simply because he is her father and a man at that. I tried to point out that only the girls in her family mattered, namely because they were all born with the power to wield the wind if from her grandmother's branch of family.
    • "Why can't I see why kids love the taste of Cinnamon Toast Crunch?"
      • Cinnamon Toast Crunch has never appealed to me, to be honest. Cocoa Puffs all the way.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back