• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Value of Gen I and II

Years
    • Seen Apr 29, 2016
    Hello Pokemon fans and friends! I have a question regarding the value of gen 1 and 2 games. My question is over the next couple of years, will the prices go up or down? I have all gen 1 and some gen 2 games and am looking to sell, but don't know if I should wait.

Well there you have it. Leave your opinion in the desc.

She_Delphox

Delphox used Mystical Fire!
    Years
  • Well, as a game collector myself, I too have all these games as part of my collection. I can already see the prices go up here, so yes, in the future the value of these games will only increase.

Also depends if you still have the boxes with inlay, instruction booklets and so on. If you do have them all complete (Comblete In Box - CIB), the value is obviously higher compared to just the cartridge :) Also note that Yellow will always have a higher value than Red/Blue and Crystal will have a higher value than Gold/Silver.
    If you want me to put a price on them, I need to see the games and what state they are in :3

So if you really want to sell them, I think you should wait since the value will only increase for these games in the future ;)

Years
    • Seen Jun 5, 2014
    For sure the value will increase. How I see it is that the kids that grew up playing the original gen 1 and 2 games are now old enough to buy these game. I have been doing some research and found that retro gaming is making a huge comeback (ie n64, genesis, ps1). I do feel like after a little bit, the value will decrease, but not for a while. I would say that if you REALLY want to sell your games, maybe wait till tax refund time or the holidays. This is when prices get inflated because people have either extra money or people are buying gifts.

Jolteon Dan

Electric Boogaloo
    Years
  • I've seen a few game shops charge about $15-$20 just for the service of replacing a dead battery for Gen 2 games (the charge does not include the cost of the new battery, which you would also have to pay for). Having done the process myself, I definitely think the service isn't worth it, but it's popular enough that the shops feel it's worth advertising. These shops were selling patched Gen 2 games for about $35-$40; even on Ebay as well, sellers who advertise a new, working battery are selling Gen 2 games for much higher than sellers who do not.

So when the sad time comes and batteries start dying in Gen 1 games, I imagine this effect will happen again but on a larger scale. There will be a higher demand for fully functional Gen 1 games, so, taking advantage of the higher demand, the best time to sell would be right after the batteries in most people's games are dead. Of course, you'd have to replace the batteries in the games you sell first, but that procedure really isn't too terrible.

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
    Years
  • Depends heavily on condition of the games. If it's near mint, then the price would be pretty damn high, but if it's been used frequently, it'd be lower. I really can't say for certain, but I think the prices would just go up the older the games are, because in time they will become harder to come by and more rare, which means a higher price due to rarity.

Wait a few years. They'll be really worth the money come 3-5 years time.

Back