• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

vegan vegetarian

Years
    I don't really like eating animals, but when I'm down in Tuamotu Archipelago in French Polynesia, the only fruit you can find are coconuts, although some people grow other vegeteables and fruit in their garden :) So there are places in the world where you are forced to eat animals! When I am in Luxembourg, I avoid eating meat as much as I can, but I am still not a vegetarian! :)

shookie

Often scatters things.
    Years
    Why are some vegetarians (not vegans) allowed to eat fish? Is it a rule or more of a personal, ethical choice?
    It's not a matter of being allowed to eat or to not eat fish, it's a personal choice. Most "true" vegetarians say that those who eat white meat (chicken, turkey) and fish aren't really vegetarians, though. If you still eat fish but no other meat, then you'd be a pescetarian, iirc.

Quick question for vegetarians/vegans, do you own anything made of leather? Belt/Wallet/Hat/Et Cetera?
    I don't, or I at least try to avoid anything made out of leather, mostly for the sake of irony. I love the smell, though. >_>

Izzy_

Breeder-in-Training
    Years
    I'm a pesco vegetarian and have been for about 4 years? I don't see it as a problem really :/

I just can't stand eating poor chickens, pigs, etc. I had a pet chicken and my uncle has pigs so I have attachment reasons

Years
    I am a carnivore, and don't think that's ever going to change. Just because it happens to taste a lot better to me. I've never been a big fan of vegetables, and when I once tried this vegetarian meat substitute stuff, I found it horrible. Of course, there is some cruelty behind it, but isn't cutting off plants cruel to them as well? There is just no way to survive without cruelty against other forms of live, so why not choosing the tastiest meal out of them?

Years
    There is just no way to survive without cruelty against other forms of live, so why not choosing the tastiest meal out of them?
    Things have to die, and it's cruel, yes, but killing 10 chickens is less cruel than killing 100. That's still significant.

Quick question for vegetarians/vegans, do you own anything made of leather? Belt/Wallet/Hat/Et Cetera?
    I have a leather belt. I'm actually wearing it right now. But I bought it used so no additional harm done.

Years
    Going by that, what if someone like bought a burger, ate half and then decided to leave the rest, would you eat it? No additional harm, right?
    Aside from the fact that eating someone's leftovers is pretty nasty and people shouldn't order more food than they can eat, yes, you have the right idea. I can't speak for other vegetarians or vegans, but I think it's stupid for an animal to be killed and then have part of it go to waste. The cow is already dead; the damage is done. For me it's about relative harm. Of course there would be even less harm for that burger not to be made in the first place.

If someone made me food and didn't know I was vegetarian (which I work hard to keep from happening) and there was meat in it I might eat it if there wasn't someone else I could offer it to or some other way to keep it from being wasted. This has only happened once that I can remember in all the years I've been vegetarian though.

Back