• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Vegetarians

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
Years
  • Are you a vegetarian(or vegan/any other variation)? If so, why are you a vegetarian? If not, what do you think about vegetarians?

Last edited by a moderator:
    Years
  • I'm not a vegetarian simply because I can't be one. I tried to be one for a while but ended up becoming ill from lack of protein or something. I know I could've taken pills to make up for it but I wasn't that dedicated to the cause.
    My opinion on vegetarians is the same as it is with religious people or people who are trying to save the whales. I'm fine with you doing whatever you want, just don't judge me or try shoving anything down my throat because I don't have to same opinions as you.

oocyst

SOFTware
    Years
  • I used to be one for about a year or more but I decided I liked meat so I stopped being one. I just wanted to see if I could and what it would be like, but not really something I wanted to do for the rest of my life.

EGKangaroo

Tail-bumps for all 'roolovers!
    Years
  • I'm a vegetarian myself, and largely see the thing as a personal choice of mine. I am against the conditions animals destined for the meat industry are kept in, which has largely led to my decision to stop eating meat. It most certainly isn't the option for anyone, but it's possible, when one pays attention to what he eats, to have both a vegetarian but also healthy diet. I suppose it's purely my compassion for animals that led me to my choice, but I will never hold a grudge against people who choose to continue to eat meat for whatever reason.

Otherworld9)

Bard of Rage
    Years
  • Just like Hybrid Trainer had said, I think of it like any other cause. I don't you doing it, but as long as they don't judge me, I'm fine.

I never bothered trying to become one however, for I have a love for certain meats. Although we weren't meant to be eating as much meat as the new generation does, eating a full-vegetable diet has it's advantages and disadvantages just like eating pure meat does.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    Since plants and fungi grown for food see similar conditions as animals likewise, I don't make any such dietry exclusions lest I exclude everything. I honestly do find it strange that morally-aligned vegetarians care for animals but not plants, et al.; as though they're not against poor living conditions in themselves, only whether or not the beings in question are consciously aware of them. That's fair enough in all practicality, no use showing a blind man a painting, but I still find it rather disregardful.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    I honestly do find it strange that morally-aligned vegetarians care for animals but not plants, et al.; as though they're not against poor living conditions in themselves, only whether or not the beings in question are consciously aware of them. That's fair enough in all practicality, no use showing a blind man a painting, but I still find it rather disregardful.
    "poor living conditions" plants aren't alive unless you want to get into pseudo-science and terminological word play. Some biologists might agree with you, but a physicist would not.

Most people wouldn't compare the life of a human to that of an animal; why compare the life of an animal to a plant? It's just not true that all organisms should be treated equal. Some people don't view animals as deserving of fair treatment, others do. It's because animals are simultaneously so far, yet so close to human beings. This is also why some people have different opinions on whether it's okay to eat fish, but not okay to eat mammals, or birds. It all comes down to your own personal philosophy. It's difficult to draw an objective line; hence disagreements.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    "poor living conditions" plants aren't alive unless you want to get into pseudo-science and terminological word play. Some biologists might agree with you, but a physicist would not.
    How exactly are plants non-living?

Alec Empire

Are you ready to testify?
    Years
  • I tried, but miserably failed.

There are some studies that there isn't much nutritional value in meat(specifically protein, which is a widely-believed myth), and that Kasein is a major carcinogen.
    But becoming a Vegan or a vegetarian is such a huge life change. I don't know if I commit to it, nor do I want to. I'm actually quite healthy, and I eat a surplus of vegetables anyway.

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
    Years
  • How exactly are plants non-living?
    They can't feel pain, and aren't aware of their surroundings in any way. It bugs me to kill them as well, but still... it's not comparable to the cruelty animals face.

There is actually such thing as a fruitarian though. They only eat things that can be harvested from plants without killing them. I don't see how that could be healthy though.

(Guess I better answer the question myself, so this isn't spam.)

I'm currently trying to become a vegetarian. I used to eat up to 7 pounds of meat a week, and as a kid I would say I was a carnivore as a joke... but as I've gotten older, it's gotten more and more disgusting. Beyond just being incredibly unhealthy, I just can't stand the idea of eating another living creature anymore, regardless if it's natural or not.

That's just my own personal choice though. If someone else wants to eat meat, the fact of the matter is that it is natural, so they can if they want. It's not up to me.

Last edited:

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
  • My favourite quote on the matter sums it up better than I could:

"Vegetarians, and their Hezbollah-like splinter-faction, the vegans, are a persistent irritant to any chef worth a damn.

To me, life without veal stock, pork fat, sausage, organ meat, demi-glace, or even stinky cheese is a life not worth living.

Vegetarians are the enemy of everything good and decent in the human spirit, an affront to all I stand for, the pure enjoyment of food. The body, these waterheads imagine, is a temple that should not be polluted by animal protein. It's healthier, they insist, though every vegetarian waiter I've worked with is brought down by any rumor of a cold."

~Anthony Bourdain, Chef

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    How exactly are plants non-living?
    Being alive and living are two different things. Going by the dictionary plants are alive, but from a philosophical point of view they are separate. Someone in a catatonic state is alive, but not living. Being alive is not simply changing, moving, growing, reproducing or even performing actions. Living is being autonomous, at the least.

Plants are only affected by "living conditions" biologically. They don't have a brain or a nervous system to process any form of pain; whereas animals do.

I'm vegetarian because it's more girlie to be so. Seriously. You rarely see a vegetarian boy. Plenty of preachy, preconscious /vegan/ boys, for totes. But I bet if you think of the first vegetarian friend of yours that comes to mind? She'll be a girl.
    What? I actually only know of a single female vegetarian/vegan. Whereas I know 5 males that are vegetarian. I have more female friends than male friends as well. Gender has nothing to do with it.

"Vegetarians, and their Hezbollah-like splinter-faction, the vegans, are a persistent irritant to any chef worth a damn.

To me, life without veal stock, pork fat, sausage, organ meat, demi-glace, or even stinky cheese is a life not worth living.

Vegetarians are the enemy of everything good and decent in the human spirit, an affront to all I stand for, the pure enjoyment of food. The body, these waterheads imagine, is a temple that should not be polluted by animal protein. It's healthier, they insist, though every vegetarian waiter I've worked with is brought down by any rumor of a cold."
    ~Anthony Bourdain, Chef
    Speaking as a cook, this is absolute bullcrap. I can guarantee there are a number of celebrity chefs that would disagree with this also, because of course, a celebrity's opinion is worth more than mine. Any chef that uses this as an excuse just can't admit they are too incompetent to create a fine dish without the use of meat. Sausage? Pork Fat? Are you kidding me? Veal stock and stinky cheese I will admit are a welcome addition to fine dining, but this guy is a tool.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    They can't feel pain, and aren't aware of their surroundings in any way.
    I know they are not sentient, it is simply a matter of fact that they may be treated poorly regardless of whether they can or will care. All life reacts to stimuli, merely at different 'levels'. I'm not out to say all life is necessarily worthy of its wellbeing, just that if we're going to apply a worth to beings beyond our own species, I don't see why it is only applied to animals.
    Also, I apologise if I have brought this thread into Other Chat territory.

Being alive and living are two different things. Going by the dictionary plants are alive, but from a philosophical point of view they are separate. Someone in a catatonic state is alive, but not living. Being alive is not simply changing, moving, growing, reproducing or even performing actions. Living is being autonomous, at the least.
    I don't mean to be difficult but what purpose might this distinction have?

Ayselipera

No, I'm not a vegetarian or any variation, but it doesn't bother me if you are one. I honestly don't understand why some people get so angry over this. How does what someone chooses to eat effect your life in anyway at all? I have a few vegetarian friends and there has never been an issue between us. If anything I think it's interesting because I've been introduced into a lot of alternatives and different meals from going over their houses and eating just what they make.

Also just because you can't be without meat doesn't mean you have to look down on or criticize other people who can. As I said I'm not a vegetarian, but I do strictly diet myself from pretty much all foods and that alone can be hard when you live in a household where no one else does it. I have to buy all my own stuff, make sure no one eats it, and then try to stay away from all the food I can't eat that's in the house. Changing the way you eat or eating a certain way changes your lifestyle up a bit and it's not entirely easy to do when you live with other people.

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    I don't mean to be difficult but what purpose might this distinction have?
    It's important to make the distinction in general. In this case, the second point I made is more important. The fact plants have no brain or nervous system, pain is a feeling we humans can empathise with. Plants are too distant from this 'kind' of existence. A more accurate analogy for plants would be feeling guilty for allowing a shelf to become dusty, or trampling on a patch of flowers.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
    Years
  • I'm going to move this over to Other Chat, because it's clearly generating more discussion than it is poll-taking lol.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
  • Being alive and living are two different things. Going by the dictionary plants are alive, but from a philosophical point of view they are separate. Someone in a catatonic state is alive, but not living. Being alive is not simply changing, moving, growing, reproducing or even performing actions. Living is being autonomous, at the least.

Plants are only affected by "living conditions" biologically. They don't have a brain or a nervous system to process any form of pain; whereas animals do.

What? I actually only know of a single female vegetarian/vegan. Whereas I know 5 males that are vegetarian. I have more female friends than male friends as well. Gender has nothing to do with it.

Speaking as a cook, this is absolute bullcrap. I can guarantee there are a number of celebrity chefs that would disagree with this also, because of course, a celebrity's opinion is worth more than mine. Any chef that uses this as an excuse just can't admit they are too incompetent to create a fine dish without the use of meat. Sausage? Pork Fat? Are you kidding me? Veal stock and stinky cheese I will admit are a welcome addition to fine dining, but this guy is a tool.
    I didn't quote him because he's a celebrity or a chef. So, your opinion is just fine. I quoted it because I agree with it, find it humorous, and figure he worded what I want to say better than I would

Years
  • God Bless Anthony Bourdain.

Humans eat meat. We'd still be Australopithecus if we didn't. We only had the chance to become evolved because we did. If you want to be Vegetarian that's fine, but don't be one of the condescending hypocritical ones at least.

Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jul 11, 2022
    As long as you don't call me immoral for eating meat, I'm perfectly fine. I'm a carnivore. I literally will not any veggies or fruit. Bi-products of them, sure, but the fruits or vegetables straight up, cooked or raw, no thanks. Unless potatoes count, if not, then no, no veggies in my diet at all. I would die if someone forced me to become a vegetarian.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
  • "poor living conditions" plants aren't alive unless you want to get into pseudo-science and terminological word play. Some biologists might agree with you, but a physicist would not.

Most people wouldn't compare the life of a human to that of an animal; why compare the life of an animal to a plant? It's just not true that all organisms should be treated equal. Some people don't view animals as deserving of fair treatment, others do. It's because animals are simultaneously so far, yet so close to human beings. This is also why some people have different opinions on whether it's okay to eat fish, but not okay to eat mammals, or birds. It all comes down to your own personal philosophy. It's difficult to draw an objective line; hence disagreements.

They can't feel pain, and aren't aware of their surroundings in any way. It bugs me to kill them as well, but still... it's not comparable to the cruelty animals face.

There is actually such thing as a fruitarian though. They only eat things that can be harvested from plants without killing them. I don't see how that could be healthy though.

(Guess I better answer the question myself, so this isn't spam.)

I'm currently trying to become a vegetarian. I used to eat up to 7 pounds of meat a week, and as a kid I would say I was a carnivore as a joke... but as I've gotten older, it's gotten more and more disgusting. Beyond just being incredibly unhealthy, I just can't stand the idea of eating another living creature anymore, regardless if it's natural or not.

That's just my own personal choice though. If someone else wants to eat meat, the fact of the matter is that it is natural, so they can if they want. It's not up to me.

alive (comparative more alive, superlative most alive)

1. Having life, in opposition to dead; living; being in a state in which the organs perform their functions; as, an animal or a plant which is alive.

life (plural lives)

1. The state that follows birth, and precedes death; the state of being alive and living.
    2. (biology) A status given to any entity including animals, plants, fungi, bacteria, etc. — and sometimes viruses — having the properties of replication and metabolism.
    "Being alive" and "living" are two different things? Stop redefining words to your convenience. These aren't the PETA forums, the reality distortion field is not in effect, and words don't mean whatever you want them to mean. The "philosophical view?" Please. Philosophy doesn't mean "I can't think of the proper words for what I'm thinking so I'll take a well-known word to mean whatever I want." What you're describing, so far, is just anything that is aware of its surroundings (which, I might add, includes my webcam). That's hardly a basis for moral judgment.

I don't care what vegetarians do as long as they don't attack me personally. However, I see animals as property and treat them as such. An animal getting hurt is, to me, the same thing as damaging expensive equipment. It's only valuable insofar as people place value on it; e.g., a picture passed down through generations holds emotional value to its owner, similar to a pet. A hunter killing a deer? There is nothing wrong with that. The deer has no inherent value; it lives only to fulfill whatever purpose its instincts give it (namely, to reproduce). A human, on the other hand, creates its own purpose; we have desires, goals, hopes, and we come up with these on our own for the most part. Those things have inherent value. We have the ability to rationalize about "right" and "wrong;" that ability has inherent value. We are able to cooperate toward a greater end, to build and create incredible things and advance humanity as a whole, to make life better for ourselves and those around us.

Does an animal care about any of these things? No. They have one purpose and lack the ability to pursue any other purpose unless conditioned to do so (which essentially means they associate another purpose with their primary one), and that is to live long enough to reproduce. Any obstacle that interferes with that purpose is dealt with in one of two ways: fleeing or attacking. They cannot understand the concept of "happiness" for themselves or for others. They don't see me as "someone with a dream," they see me as "dangerous object." I see no reason to see them as anything else.

Back