• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Version Exclusives

pkmin3033

We know it's going to happen, much as we might wish othewise. So, what do you think will be a version exclusive this time around? Will things remain the same as they were in SM, or will they change slightly...or even be reversed, to give people a chance to catch what they couldn't previously? Alolan Sandshrew for US, and Alolan Vulpix for UM? As a side question, how about Lycanroc? Do you think it'll be daytime for US and midnight for UM, or reversed...or perhaps the rumoured third version will eclipse (haha) them entirely?

Years
  • I feel the S/M version exclusives will be carried over, since that was the case for B/W version exclusives in B2/W2. The only new exclusives I see happening would be Alola Dex expansion stuff, since there's barely any location differences aside from Altar of the Sunne/Moon and Lake of the Sunne/Moone.

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
  • I feel the S/M version exclusives will be carried over, since that was the case for B/W version exclusives in B2/W2. The only new exclusives I see happening would be Alola Dex expansion stuff, since there's barely any location differences aside from Altar of the Sunne/Moon and Lake of the Sunne/Moone.

I'd really like strictly version-exclusive Pokémon to be done away with (or at least do them like the Plusle/Minun method from Generation 3 - both species are in both games, but rarity depends on the version); I mean, even the Generation 7 version mascots aren't exclusive, so why should the common Pokémon be..? But I expect that the version-exclusive Pokémon in Pokémon Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon will be identical to Pokémon Sun/Moon, flipped exactly, or the Emerald route will be taken (as in, one Pokémon will need to be traded from Sun, one will need to be traded from Moon, and a selection of other Pokémon will not be found in Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon but are available in both Sun/Moon). I predict that some new Pokémon forms will be exclusive to Pokémon Ultra Sun and/or Ultra Moon, though(namely, the Prismatic-Armored Solgaleo and Prismatic-Armored Lunala, somehow). I hope that Solgaleo, Lunala, and Necrozma are still all available within one game like they are in Pokémon Sun/Moon, though; otherwise, that would be a severe downgrade, in my opinion.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • Just checked the version exclusives for B2W2 and they're pretty much the same as BW. I'm thinking the same will happen for USM. I have a feeling we'll also get new Alolan forms for Johto Pokémon and some of those will probably be version exclusives.

pkmin3033

I have to wonder if we'll actually get Solrock and Lunatone version exclusives this time; that was something everyone was expecting that we never did get, haha. We didn't even get Sun/Moon stone exclusives! Maybe they'll roll with that this time around.

Caaethil

#1 Greninja Fan
    Years
  • or even be reversed, to give people a chance to catch what they couldn't previously? Alolan Sandshrew for US, and Alolan Vulpix for UM?

I don't get it. If you wanted that, wouldn't you just buy the opposite version? I would assume most people are buying the opposite version they had before, for the other legendary and exclusives.

pkmin3033

I don't get it. If you wanted that, wouldn't you just buy the opposite version? I would assume most people are buying the opposite version they had before, for the other legendary and exclusives.
    Not necessarily. Some people might want the story continuity. Plenty of people must have bought Black 2 after playing Black, for example. Whether these are strictly connected to the first games or not, I imagine plenty of people will play the Ultra version of the version they played originally. So what's wrong with wanting the exclusives from the other game? Sans the Legendary, anyway...and I wouldn't rule that out just yet to be honest either.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • I'd really like strictly version-exclusive Pokémon to be done away with (or at least do them like the Plusle/Minun method from Generation 3 - both species are in both games, but rarity depends on the version); I mean, even the Generation 7 version mascots aren't exclusive, so why should the common Pokémon be..? But I expect that the version-exclusive Pokémon in Pokémon Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon will be identical to Pokémon Sun/Moon, flipped exactly, or the Emerald route will be taken (as in, one Pokémon will need to be traded from Sun, one will need to be traded from Moon, and a selection of other Pokémon will not be found in Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon but are available in both Sun/Moon). I predict that some new Pokémon forms will be exclusive to Pokémon Ultra Sun and/or Ultra Moon, though(namely, the Prismatic-Armored Solgaleo and Prismatic-Armored Lunala, somehow). I hope that Solgaleo, Lunala, and Necrozma are still all available within one game like they are in Pokémon Sun/Moon, though; otherwise, that would be a severe downgrade, in my opinion.
    You can get Lunala in Pokemon Sun? How? I was under the assumption that Cosmoem only evolved into Solgaleo within Sun (haven't gotten my Cosmog, though to try it) and into Lunala in Moon.

ShyRayq

Unprofessional Unprofessional
    Years
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    You can get Lunala in Pokemon Sun? How? I was under the assumption that Cosmoem only evolved into Solgaleo within Sun (haven't gotten my Cosmog, though to try it) and into Lunala in Moon.

Your assumption is correct. You need to trade for Lunala/Solgaleo to get it in Sun/Moon.

Anyway, I think the exclusives will be pretty much the same, like between BW and BW2. Maybe a few more exclusives if the pokedex changes.

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
  • You can get Lunala in Pokemon Sun? How? I was under the assumption that Cosmoem only evolved into Solgaleo within Sun (haven't gotten my Cosmog, though to try it) and into Lunala in Moon.

Your assumption is correct. You need to trade for Lunala/Solgaleo to get it in Sun/Moon.

Anyway, I think the exclusives will be pretty much the same, like between BW and BW2. Maybe a few more exclusives if the pokedex changes.

Whoops, sorry about that; I misunderstood the method.. Apparently, while you can get a second Cosmog/Cosmoem (ugh, I keep getting those names mixed up) within just one save file (via traveling to your version's matching altar, entering a portal, then going to the top of the platform situated within the lake that is "anti-" to/opposes your version - http://gameranx.com/features/id/820...how-to-get-sungaleo-lunala-legendaries-guide/), the evolution into Lunala specifically can only be triggered via leveling up in Pokémon Moon (and Pokémon Sun for Solgaleo).. Darn it, Game Freak, you had the "version mascot exclusiveness" perfect in Pokémon Gold/Silver, Pokémon Crystal, Pokémon Emerald, Pokémon Platinum, and Pokémon HeartGold/SoulSilver (HG/SS); why did you have to horribly regress? I presume the answer is "Money, Dear Boy" (but then it strikes me as odd with how HG/SS preserved the "both paired version mascots in one game" feature when Game Freak could have easily modified the implementation to the "one paired version mascot per game" implementation that began with Pokémon Ruby/Sapphire).. I doubt that the rationale is "preserving the original experience" since so much other stuff got changed from GSC to HG/SS, but maybe Game Freak wanted to guarantee 2 "680/~680 Base-Stat-Total mascot-ish Legendary Pokémon (in the vein of Lugia, Ho-oh, Groudon, Kyogre, Rayquaza, Dialga, Palkia, Giratina, Reshiram, Zekrom, Kyurem, Xerneas, Yveltal, Zygarde, Solgaleo, Lunala, and Necrozma)" in all post-Generation 1 games..?

In any case, here's hoping that Solgaleo, Lunala, and Necrozma can actually all be obtained in one game for Pokémon Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon, along with all of the other version-exclusive Pokémon of the Alola region..

Last edited:

pkmin3033

Personally, I think it'd be very strange if the mascot Legendaries weren't obtainable in both titles...GF must be aware that some people are going to want to buy the same version of the one they bought last time - Ultra Moon to follow on from Moon, etc - so keeping the same set of version exclusives would be a bit of a strange choice. I realise trading has always been a factor in Pokemon titles, but third versions and sequels have always included at least SOME of the exclusives from previous titles, so you could get them yourself. Variety is important in a series that changes so little otherwise.

smocks

fiat lux
    Years
  • Gotta agree with others that the version exclusives will be probably the same as the og SM with maybe 2-5 other things due to USUM being a sequel, it's not like they'll have drastic changes.

Kieran

the Blueberry Champion
    Years
  • I'm thinking maybe like BW, the mascots will be swopped. Ultra Solgaleo will be in Ultra Moon and vice versa.

I got Moon so I'd love to get Ultra Moon though, like mentioned, if it's an sequel.

Years
  • I'm thinking maybe like BW, the mascots will be swopped. Ultra Solgaleo will be in Ultra Moon and vice versa.

While it would have been a cool idea, the logos seem to have already spoiled that Solgaleo and Lunala will remain in the same versions they were originally.

Kieran

the Blueberry Champion
    Years
  • While it would have been a cool idea, the logos seem to have already spoiled that Solgaleo and Lunala will remain in the same versions they were originally.

black-white.jpg

If you remember, Black and White's logos didn't really fit well anyway. I am hoping it'll involve the other legendary to somehow "save" the Solgaleo in Sun and Lunala in Moon, maybe? :) And in turn you're teaming up with Lunala in US and Solgaleo in UM.

Years
  • Personally, I think it'd be very strange if the mascot Legendaries weren't obtainable in both titles...GF must be aware that some people are going to want to buy the same version of the one they bought last time - Ultra Moon to follow on from Moon, etc - so keeping the same set of version exclusives would be a bit of a strange choice. I realise trading has always been a factor in Pokemon titles, but third versions and sequels have always included at least SOME of the exclusives from previous titles, so you could get them yourself. Variety is important in a series that changes so little otherwise.

My hopes on getting all three aren't high. While B2W2 did have an explanation related to the plot, we didn't get the third member of the Tao trio in those games. I can see something similar happening here.

pkmin3033

My hopes on getting all three aren't high. While B2W2 did have an explanation related to the plot, we didn't get the third member of the Tao trio in those games. I can see something similar happening here.
    Well, there is a precedent for it, albeit a very old one. Lugia and Ho-Oh were both obtainable in Gen II games, despite being mascots. If these act more like third versions we should get both as well - Kyogre and Groudon were both in Emerald, and Dialga and Palkia were both in Platinum. B2W2 is more the odd set out, I would say.

Caaethil

#1 Greninja Fan
    Years
  • Not necessarily. Some people might want the story continuity. Plenty of people must have bought Black 2 after playing Black, for example. Whether these are strictly connected to the first games or not, I imagine plenty of people will play the Ultra version of the version they played originally. So what's wrong with wanting the exclusives from the other game? Sans the Legendary, anyway...and I wouldn't rule that out just yet to be honest either.

What story continuity? We don't even know it's a sequel. Out of all of the people who bought Black and then also Black 2, most probably just liked the Kyurem form. That's on them. Swapping the version exclusives just seems random and silly.

Personally, I think it'd be very strange if the mascot Legendaries weren't obtainable in both titles...GF must be aware that some people are going to want to buy the same version of the one they bought last time - Ultra Moon to follow on from Moon, etc - so keeping the same set of version exclusives would be a bit of a strange choice. I realise trading has always been a factor in Pokemon titles, but third versions and sequels have always included at least SOME of the exclusives from previous titles, so you could get them yourself. Variety is important in a series that changes so little otherwise.

I'm rather confused by how you find it so strange that they might follow a precedent they already set in Gen 5.

Years
  • Well, there is a precedent for it, albeit a very old one. Lugia and Ho-Oh were both obtainable in Gen II games, despite being mascots. If these act more like third versions we should get both as well - Kyogre and Groudon were both in Emerald, and Dialga and Palkia were both in Platinum. B2W2 is more the odd set out, I would say.

True, but B2W2 might just have establish a new pattern like RS did. Though Gen VI lacked a third version, so we don't know yet. Hope they do have all three.

Back