• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

vet trainer. rookie battler and breeder.

Years
    hey people

i have been playing the pokemon games ever since my brother bought red and blue back in the 90's. ive played them since i was about 5 or 6 and have owned at least one version from each gen since. i put serious time into each game and my love for the franchise now is stronger than ever.

However, even though i am such a veteran player, i have never competitively battled, and my breeding knowledge is almost non-existent other than breeding with a ditto. i hope to one day learn more about both of these aspects of the games.

this makes me curious to how many other people out there are just a casual pokemon player compared to the more serious and hardcore fandom out there.

so what type of player are you?

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    I've been playing Pokemon since RBY, and I'm a fairly serious competitive battler. I didn't get into competitive battling until Black/White though. That's when I also got into more serious breeding, but then I wasn't very good at it/didn't know much about it. I'm somewhat more knowledgeable about breeding now in Gen 6 (its so nice that breeding got a lot easier this gen). Never been much of a collector or shiny hunter.

Years
    • Seen Nov 8, 2016
    hey people

i have been playing the pokemon games ever since my brother bought red and blue back in the 90's. ive played them since i was about 5 or 6 and have owned at least one version from each gen since. i put serious time into each game and my love for the franchise now is stronger than ever.

However, even though i am such a veteran player, i have never competitively battled, and my breeding knowledge is almost non-existent other than breeding with a ditto. i hope to one day learn more about both of these aspects of the games.

this makes me curious to how many other people out there are just a casual pokemon player compared to the more serious and hardcore fandom out there.

so what type of player are you?

I'm kinda like you, usually casually playing... But recently I started getting into breeding for competitive Pokemon although I actually suck at battling xD

I have a friend who's good at these things so I have learnt a lot from him :) if you have any questions, I'll try my best to answer ^_^

Years
    Until recently, I was always just a casual player. Now, I do competitive battling on Pokemon Showdown and I'm pretty good at it. And, when I play the games on emulators, I always go in the Challenge section and make it more of a Challenge than just the regular games.

Years
    • Seen Feb 8, 2015
    I consider myself to be more of a breeder than an actual competitive battler, though I do dabble occasionally and with good results. Raticate is amazing when raised right :P

I've been a breeder since Gold/Silver was released, though back then the mechanics truly baffled me as I was only around the age of 8 at the time if I remember right. I always found joy in breeding, seeing what Pokemon could pair up, being delighted when moves were passed down, baby Pokemon really captured my heart a lot as they were pretty adorable.
    I only really became an excellent breeder thanks to HG/SS, where I started to understand the mechanics of Egg Moves. Thanks to an "IV checker" I was able to learn what the heck IV meant and I was pretty much re-hooked.

I'd consider myself less hardcore than most players though, as I disregard the tier lists and strategies that most hardcore battlers use as a guideline.

LyokoGirl5000

Lyoko Princess
    Years
    I just recently got into the competitive scene during Black 2/White 2. I enjoy breeding Pokemon more than battling, but what's the point if I can't see the results in action? I want to breed a sun based team for double battles just for the heck of it. I'm also considering an Eeveelution team. I've understood pretty much every aspect of breeding since third gen and this usually means I have a ton of leftover Pokemon that are either unfinished results or didn't make the cut for competitive battling.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Been playing Pokémon since generation one, and personally, my most favorite game so far would be Emerald. Was extremely addicted to it when I first got a hold of this game, and would play for about three to six hours every day, depending on how much free time I had. n_n;; What kind of a player am I? I'm a mixture of both--serious and non-serious. From play Pokémon games only for their storyline and the enjoyment they're able to provide, but from time to time, though, I like to up give myself some challenge and try my hands on competitive battling. I've gotten into competitive scene five years ago back in 2009, and am still a follower. As for other stuff such as shiny hunting and breeding--I'm not so much into those, unfortunately. I find breeding to be sort of confusing, and hunting for shinies just isn't fun. For some people, it definitely is, but not for me.

Years
    I know almost everything there is to know about the first two gens. I have been playing since I was 7 and have never stopped. I'm now 22. Beyond 2nd gen my knowledge is extremely minimal. I don't even recognize most 3rd gens but I'm trying to adapt.

Years
    I'm definitely 100% casual, so yeah expect me to suck in online play. I actually only care about the story and training ingame these days. Training for competitive always seems like a hassle to me.

Last edited:

Mithel_Celestia

Alluring Illusion
    Years
    Depends on how you describe Veteren Trainer. I consider myself a Veteren Trainer. I have almost all knowledge on every pokemon, I know the breeding techniques, battle techniques and trade so often, but only through wonder trade. I can't be serious fan though. I don't have evry merchandize they offer and only have games I like but only started in HeartGold and SoulSilver for hard copies. Before them were pirated copies.

εcho.

The silver ninetales
    Years
    I think I'm similar to you OP, I've been playing the games since the very beginning, dabbled in a bit of breeding here and there along the way, but never really got into the competitive battle scene. I've explored the battle side of things recently, with the release of X and Y, and bred myself some competitive pokemon so that I can play around in Wifi battles.

I'm not very good though heh. And I actually find the breeding side of things more fun than the battle side.

Back