• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Victory Road

dutchmuffin77

...not dutch
    Years
    Am i the only one who thinks the metal generation's victory road is too easy or does everybody think that?

I mean it takes about five minutes to get through the cave and then at the end of the cave is your very weak rival whom you have to battle before getting to the pokemon elite four.

So once you look over all these things you find that there is just nothing challenging about that victory road at all!

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    Yeah. :/ When you're heading towards the Elite Four, the challenge is outside the actual Victory road, where all the trainers are, and even they aren't that hard if you trained above their level. I love G/S/C, but I think that's the only thing they lack: an actual Victory Road.

Though it does make it easier to get from Mt. Silver from beating Red to go and face the Elite Four again without having to fly. 8D;;

Bellomence

Dragon Rider
    Years
    • Seen Jun 24, 2011
    Am i the only one who thinks the metal generation's victory road is too easy or does everybody think that?
    Of course, I believe that the Metal Gen's Victory Road is too easy. There are almost no trainers, the mazes are easy and not challenging, the rival in the end is weak, too.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    Of course, I believe that the Metal Gen's Victory Road is too easy. There are almost no trainers, the mazes are easy and not challenging, the rival in the end is weak, too.

That's probably because all the Trainers are before the actual Victory Road, unlike in RBY when all of the Trainers are inside of it. Still would have been nice to make the maze more challenging, and perhaps your Rival a bit tougher.

KurlyFries

let's get this bread
    Years
    Well, if you think about it, almost all of G/S/C is pretty easy, save for Silver Mountain and the Team Rocket switch-door maze.

And yeah, like people said, the trainers are before it, as well as a healing spot.
    If they put some of the cooltrainers in Victory road and switched the sandstorm grandma's house with the healing lady's house, it might actually be somewhat interesting.

Melash

Back for now.
    Years
    Yes, I agree, Victory Road was far too easy. Like it's been said, all the challenging trainers were on the Route to Victory Road, not inside Victory Road. I think if they would've actually had your Rival much stronger, then it might have just taken more than one attempt to get through the whole thing. Also, upping the encounter rate, and throwing in some trainers with high-level Pokemon would have made it much more interesting. Oh, and making the whole map itself larger are much more complicated would have made this a much, much harder challenge.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    Yeah. I think the creators thought 'Oh! Since all the trainers are all outside of the Victory Road, we can be lazy with making the actual Victory Road. :D'. At least that's what comes across my head. They could always added at least a trainer or two, a stronger rival, and even perhaps even a stronger Elite Four.

Well, if you think about it, almost all of G/S/C is pretty easy, save for Silver Mountain and the Team Rocket switch-door maze.

And yeah, like people said, the trainers are before it, as well as a healing spot.
    If they put some of the cooltrainers in Victory road and switched the sandstorm grandma's house with the healing lady's house, it might actually be somewhat interesting.
    Yeah. It really is. :/ Even the Team Rocket switch-door maze is easy after you play the game a few times. I mean.. I beat Blue with level 50-56ish range, when his pokemon are in the level 60 range. I mean... really? The same goes for Red. My Bellossom, who is currently level 69, can hit Pikachu with one Petal Dance and KO it. :/ I mean.. honestly, they would have made everything a bit harder. XD Guess they thought R/B/Y was a bit too hard at times?

That is a good idea; changing the Sandstorm Lady's house and the healing place. That would have been nice, and then added a few more trainers. -nodnod- Tougher trainers, that is.

Lt_Nite

GnR for life!
    Years
    I've always thought the second gen's Victory Road was like a joke, no trainers just pokemon. I know there are trainers outside VR but still. As said it would have been nice to have a harder maze to figure out or a longer VR itself.

The 2nd gen Victory Road is good and bad:
    -It's not annoying and you can pass througout it with only defeating your weak rival...
    Bad:
    -It doesn't help to level up your pokemon too much...

Sure the trainers are outside, but most of them can be evaded with surf or escaping its limited vision to see and chalenge you...

Ayselipera

I actually liked that. There is nothing I find more annoying than
    when you have to teach all your pokemon HM moves just to get
    through a pointless cave. On top of that you need to defeat a load
    cool trainers. There was plenty of trainers to face on the way to
    Victory Road anyways. No complaints there.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2016
    I love how your post, like mine now, brings nothing to the topic itself.
    I love how you're being an ******* and thinking you can control what other people want to add to a discussion... We get plenty of people saying nothing of note in the longer threads, so it's not really a big deal. We're here to talk, not think out our responses and add something never before brought up.

Apathetic_Yen

very original
    Years
    *sigh* more people bashing on all the shortcomings of G/S and completely forgetting why they're there.

Victory Road is short because of the amount of data they had to put into that tiny cartridge. Remember, this was a game that you could play on the original Game Boy, so of course there's going to be some sort of limit.

The entire region of Kanto was also implemented into the game, a WHOLE other region. We haven't even seen another pokemon game that has had at least another region in it, so you can imagine why there were areas that seemed really stripped down and short.

Also, the trainers were weak (Lv 30s) because of the fact that you were going to battle an Elite Four with only Lv 40-50 pokemon. The reason for that is that there are another 8 gyms to conquer, which makes 16 gyms in the entire game. Haven't seen that in awhile either.

So if you're thinking, "Gee, they could've just made the Kanto gym leaders really, really strong!" then we are talking Blue with Lv80-90 pokemon, and Red owning a Lv 100 Pikachu. Sure it's every players wet dream, but it's making the game really, really easy to level up on. Personally I have no problem with that but a concept likt this never flies with Game Programmers.

Years
    • Seen May 20, 2009
    I was thrilled it was much smaller. I fail to see the point of making it so convuluted if there's no Moltres there and there's a rake of trainers on the way who can satisfy
    your battle needs. Oh, and the fact the you're not trying to solve puzzles while
    fending off twenty thousand zubats/golbats and the likes, is really swell.

Kazukii

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Dec 2, 2009
    I hate victory road altogether, it's always filled with stupid zubat's and Onix's. It's a relief to have an easy one if you ask me xD

Years
    Yep, I prefer to have most of the trainers outside Victory Road as opposed to in it because of all the Golbats flying around in the cave. If I happen to have to go back to the beginning of the road thanks to a trainer, I'd much rather it be a normal road without wild Pokémon popping up all the time than a cave with evil Golbats. Anyway, I always considered all of Kanto after the Waterfall to be part of Victory Road, myself. ;)

Heiheipig

- This is Madness? -
    Years
    • Seen Sep 12, 2009
    Short road filled with ******* annoying Golbats? Better than one with trainers, a 10 minute walk and puzzling traps and switches.

Yuoaman

I don't know who I am either.
    Years
    It's one of those things that you have to accept with GSC, though in the new remakes it will probably be lengthened (I hope).

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Jan 10, 2015
    I'd like it to be longer. I enjoy Victory Road actually.
    Training up my pokemon etc.
    I'd love it if it wasn't for all them little annoying Golbats etc.

Back