• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Article: Video: Discussing next month's CoroCoro Pokémon Sun and Moon reveal

Fannie

Don't let my milk go lumpy
Years
    • Age 32
    • UK
    • Seen Dec 31, 2016
    Imma laugh if they reveal no legendary mascots on the coverart. That's their next troll move.

pkmin3033

I'd be totally fine with no Legendary Pokemon on the box art. If they're going back to basics I'd actually expect two fully evolved starters - presumably the fire and water ones - instead, to mirror the Charizard/Blastoise of Red and Blue...and yes, I know it was originally Red and Green, but eh. Point still stands that it started out as fully evolved starters, and going back to that would be a great throwback. It'd also be an indicator that they might move away from the stale and always-underdeveloped Legendary plot lines they've been using since Gen III onwards.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • I think they could drop a trailer in early May right before CoroCoro is due to release. There have been several reveals during May for the last few years, so perhaps CoroCoro will cover what is revealed from that.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Imma laugh if they reveal no legendary mascots on the coverart. That's their next troll move.

It'll just be a photo of the sun and one of the moon. Although that's not too unlikely. Like, just the logo, sure it'll piss of a lot of people but if Pokemon want to appeal to an older audience straight away... what better way than to eliminate the weird looking creatures on the front that'll put you off from buying the games in public?

Fannie

Don't let my milk go lumpy
    Years
    • Age 32
    • UK
    • Seen Dec 31, 2016
    It'll just be a photo of the sun and one of the moon. Although that's not too unlikely. Like, just the logo, sure it'll piss of a lot of people but if Pokemon want to appeal to an older audience straight away... what better way than to eliminate the weird looking creatures on the front that'll put you off from buying the games in public?

I've never experienced embarrassment buying the game in-store. Although I've only ever bought it at GAME and all the staff I know there are between the ages of 20-40 and just as excited by Pokemon as I am.

A more plain boxart design would be more visually appealing to me if I'm honest but I am curious about what the legendaries look like. A lot of the newer legendary designs haven't bbeen to my taste and I'm excited to know if these versions will be different.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    I've never experienced embarrassment buying the game in-store. Although I've only ever bought it at GAME and all the staff I know there are between the ages of 20-40 and just as excited by Pokemon as I am.

A more plain boxart design would be more visually appealing to me if I'm honest but I am curious about what the legendaries look like. A lot of the newer legendary designs haven't bbeen to my taste and I'm excited to know if these versions will be different.
    I dunno some older fans could possibly feel embarrassed, but it's just a thought.

I can't believe we didn't bring up the possibility of seeing starter Pokemon!
    It could happen but with being given box art, unless the starters are going to be on the cover... It's probably not going to happen. Should happen by the end of June though I'm pretty sure.

Years
  • It'll just be a photo of the sun and one of the moon. Although that's not too unlikely. Like, just the logo, sure it'll piss of a lot of people but if Pokemon want to appeal to an older audience straight away... what better way than to eliminate the weird looking creatures on the front that'll put you off from buying the games in public?

The mascots are meant to be the main attraction of the game and without the mascot legendaries, people wouldn't be as interested in buying the game.

mew_nani

Pokécommunity's Licensed Tree Exorcist
    Years
  • The mascots are meant to be the main attraction of the game and without the mascot legendaries, people wouldn't be as interested in buying the game.
    The games need mascots but back in Gen I simply having the starters on the box worked just as well to draw people in. It helped a lot that the starters were either cool looking (Charizard, Blastoise, Venusaur) or cute (Pikachu). If the current gen's starters can look cool like that putting them front and center as mascots will likely still work.

Years
  • 1st Gen was different since it was the start, and the Kanto starters are often viewed as the most appealing starters, with Hoenn coming a close second. Nostalgic value is mainly viewed as why the appeal is so high, so if this generation's starters are just as appealing we could see lots of old fans who were disappointed with recent games to be drawn back into playing.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • 1st Gen was different since it was the start, and the Kanto starters are often viewed as the most appealing starters, with Hoenn coming a close second. Nostalgic value is mainly viewed as why the appeal is so high, so if this generation's starters are just as appealing we could see lots of old fans who were disappointed with recent games to be drawn back into playing.
    Out of the starters since Hoenn's are the ones that would best fit the names of their games (Blaziken for Ruby, Swampert for Sapphire, and Sceptile for Emerald). I guess that Emboar for black and Serperior for white would've worked too, or flipped if they wanted to pull what they actually did with R and Z.

Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2019
    Nah, it wouldn't have the starters on the box art. There are a lot of contrasts between gen 1, and later gens, that it just isn't what they would do.
    I mean, think about it, the whole reason that gen 1 had the starters as the box art was because there wasn't any legendary pairings that they could have used. I guess, at a stretch you could have used the bird trio, but still, the point stands. There's also the point that all of those special Pokemon (the birds and Mewtwo, Mew as well), are one's that they wanted to keep secret. They were meant to be found. New generations have more legendary pokemon, and each crafts a pair into the plot, which is much better for story development anyway.
    Going beyond this, there isn't really any business sense in doing it. The whole point is to force people on a decision on what game to buy, and possibly, both if they like the pair enough. Having the starters kind of tells you that there isn't much difference, furthermore, people may be less inclined to make such an investment.
    Overall, it's fun to speculate, but I certainly don't see it as a reasonably foreseeable situation. It wouldn't make any real sense

Years
  • As Sceptile mentioned, 1st Gen was the beginning and they wanted to make legendaries seem rare and to come as a surprise. It wasn't until 2nd Gen that we started getting legendaries on the boxart, and that was also because it was the generation that started the main games' plotlines involving the legendaries in question.

WingsofBliss

Flies with the wind.
    Years
  • Welp... it's almost May. I think that whatever CoroCoro is gonna show us, the official website could either show us in the first week of May, or on the same day that CoroCoro is officially released. I've noticed that with Zygarde, Volcanion, and Magearna, the official website updated shortly after CoroCoro had released in Japan, the latest example being Magearna's typing. Even though that was information of individual Pokemon, I can't help but wonder if they'll do the same thing with the games themselves.

Back