• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Video game franchises you can’t stand, but everyone else likes

Years
    Kingdom Hearts and the Souls franchise, although for different reasons. I very much understand why people like them, but I find the cliche and convoluted writing of the former obnoxious and I've never enjoyed gaming that goes out of its way to be ridiculously hard when it's something I do for relaxation and to enjoy stories.

The former I think is a problem with the game, although personal taste plays a part, while the latter is definitely 100% just personal preference.

Years
    Danganronpa is also a series that I do not find the appeal of. I wouldn't say I loathe it, but after seeing some clips and gameplay I do find it cringy at times and annoying. I see it as a stereotypical edgy anime from the 2010s.

Alex_Among_Foxes

A lover of Foxes
    Years
    The Last of Us.
    I watched someone do a playthrough of the first game when it first came out and said "that was okay I guess".
    Now it's all over the damn place and I can't for the life of me figure out why.
    (It doesn't help that I LOATHED the protagonist of that game lol)

Years
    Probably more traditional RPGs like Dragon Quest or Final Fantasy. I tried playing FF4 on GBA and I just couldn't get into it, it just felt like the worst parts of Pokemon (grinding, annoying random encounters) with none of the positives. And the later games are so long I feel intimidated to even start.

Orion☆

The Whole Constellation
    Years
    ...God, do I even like videogames anymore if I agree with most, if not all the franchises mentioned in here? Let's see:

-PVP shooters like Call of Duty, Overwatch and Fortnite are kind of stressful for me. I already don't like violent videogames a whole lot unless the violence is of a comedic nature, and having to play in real-time with strangers is just a no-no.
    -Danganronpa, as many people have mentioned here, is unnecessarily edgy and too convoluted for my taste. I did use to be into it somewhat when I was on Dunglr, but it was mostly osmosis from my friend circle. Nowadays, I'd rather not remember those days; I consider them to be the worst of my life in hindsight.
    -RPGs like Fire Emblem, Zelda, Final Fantasy, Xenoblade, Genshin and Dragon Quest haven't piqued my interest at all due to their high fantasy overtones and often slow battle systems. It's mostly the high fantasy stuff that turns me off, though, because I'm not a big fan of the genre to begin with (which is why I kind of feel like an outcast when, for example, Lord of the Rings is mentioned)
    -Most hyperrealistic games for that matter - FIFA, Madden, Cyberpunk, The Last of Us, Assassin's Creed, DMC, Bayonetta, the later Castlevania entries, etc. - due to me disliking the extreme uncanny valley effect that they evoke. This even extends to Star Wars games; despite being games based on one of my favourite multimedia franchises, the creepy motion capture in games like JFO or Squadrons is a big no-no.

Back