• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Video Games DCC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathan

Blade of Justice
Years
I own no 360 and my PC isn't suited for huge games ;-;
At least my PS3 saves the day.

Years
It's nice to have PC games because there are so many mods available, so if you get bored anytime it's easy to just download them and drag the files to the correct location. Seriously, though, some of the mods are amazing. I've seen plenty of GTA, Skyrim, Fallout etc. mods which can be extremely useful sometimes. For instance, there is a mod for GTA IV which makes the water texture and graphics look like it does in real life, if I recall correctly. I also remember general graphic improving mods, and this is just with GTA IV, it's just an example of one of the games out there with these sort of mods. There are quite a lot of videos on YouTube displaying these mods.

Last edited:

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
Years
Mods are tons of fun.

I'm trying to think of the first mod I played. I can't remember exactly, but I'm pretty sure it was Forgotten Enemies for Battlezone 2.

It's been a long time but it's site is still up... Well, most of it.

http://www.bz2md.com/bz2cp/

Edit - Although this game is from 99, it's still getting updates. The game doesn't get much new blood though since the majority of those that still play are complete dicks to any new people that we get on MP. I ended up dropping this game because of that back in 09. I suppose the MP communities could have changed since then, but I don't have much hope for it.

Last edited:
Years
The first game which I added mods to was Minecraft. It wasn't awfully long ago, actually, but that's when I started to PC game so it makes sense. Thinking about it, I haven't used too many mods recently, except from Tekkit for Minecraft which I use most commonly. I'm stocking up on a few games every now and then for the next month or so, so I'll look out for games which are frequently modded because I prefer games with mods.

TY

First game for me was Red Alert 2: Yuri's Revenge... I had a mod that mixed Tiberian Sun and RA2 together. Still GDI was pretty OP and crushed the RA2 factions with ease.

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
Years
RA2/YR is pretty heavily modded.

I've played a lot of mods for it - Mental Omega, Robot Storm, Code Red, YR apocalypse, Purple Alert and a bunch I'm forgetting - but my favorite was Purple Alert.

I really wish that RS would get a update though. It's such a nice mod... except it hasn't been updated in almost 4 years.

Edit - Imo, RTS games are the most heavily modded games.

Years
  • Seen Jan 12, 2015
As a PC gamer, mods are one of the top reasons I do use PC. When it comes to Skyrim for example, I consider myself extremely involved in the modding community. Having made mods for Skyrim, as well as having used and installed over 400 (only about 100 on at a time), it's safe to say I enjoy them quite a bit. On top of that, obviously PC has it's advantages in many other ways.

Looking above to your video you linked Pave Low, while the game does look extremely stunning, I just couldn't deal with that FPS loss. Which is what concerns me with some modders these days. While it's favourable to make your game look good, it's actually important to make it playable. Even with their very decent rig, there's so much FPS loss that to me, the game would be unplayable.

In saying that however I may actually try out some of those mods for GTA IV, my main issue with the game was the dull tones and terrible use of atmosphere, so perhaps I'll come back to it now and play with my pad on PC. Imploring some of the advantages I see with the mods included in that video. It does look stunning, and while I do have a GTX 770, I'm not sure even my rig would handle how much load is coming in with those mods, so I'll trim it down a bit.

Truth is, when I left Xbox for PC (and all I kept was my gamepad), I could never turn back.

Years
I see where you're coming from in terms of FPS. Using mods generally requires better specs depending on how much you use at a time and what mods they are. I haven't use as much as 100 at a time for one game, only around 70. Normally, though, I hardly ever experience lag anymore, only when I have several things open at a time and that's usually when I'm doing something important.

Also, like you, I left Xbox for PC. I prefer PC a lot more, wider variety and there is much more opportunities. However, my Dad has pre-ordered the Xbox One because he wants it so I'll probably be playing it from time to time. I am gradually adding more and more games to my PC collection so I will still spend plenty more time on this than on the Xbox.

Nathan

Blade of Justice
Years
I'd play games on my PC but it doesn't have the best capacities and it could be slow.
Mods on GTA are plain crazy. I'm amazed at the number of them really.

Years
  • Seen Jan 12, 2015
The modding community online is pretty extensive, a lot of modders are using their abilities for many reasons. There are developers who work on the mods purely for fun, and there's even people who create these mods to use in their portfolio for college and applications for work and so forth. The GTA and Elder Scrolls modding communities are some of the largest out there though, I'll admit that.

The only console I'll consider buying is the PS4, since I prefer their exclusives, and the fact that Naughty Dog are too much of a respectable developer to pass by. The big irk I have with GTA V, for example, is that it'll be at least a year before it's on PC.

Years
I agree with you, and I think that modders deserve more credit. The work they put into making the mods shows a they took a lot of time up, and the end product can be amazing. I love how the modding communities within games work with each other and they actually listen to what we want and they, most of the time, update their mods to make sure it works and is bringing more to the game. All the effort they put in for no price at all, now that is something the gaming community should recognize.

Last edited:

TY

I tried to mod a game, and its pretty easy to edit stuff, but creating new stuff is hard to do. I love the modding community as people asked me if they could help me by making a campaign for the mod and they gave me some ideas.

Also the StarCraft 2 Arcade has some pretty nice games made by people. They are always fun and barely something that is actually a RTS thing.

Years
Yeah, I'm thinking of making a mod sooner or later, will be basic at first, but I'm sure that with help from the community I'd be able to improve upon it. I'm thinking of starting a Minecraft mod, because that's a fairly simple place to start at, making new blocks, items, recipes etc. and the most of what I will have to do is just design them and I'll see how it goes from there.

Garry's Mod. That's something I find hard to believe hasn't been mentioned. The game virtually has to be played with mods. So much variety in the mods and there are so many possibilities with that game for a low price and a huge community.

TY

I started modding Tiberian Sun for a long time, and changing values is easy, and i found some hidden units and buildings (curse you EA... IF you werent so greedy these things werent hidden at all) which i used in the game itself. Also you cant make things too OP. If you make the strength of a unit too high, it becomes immobile for instance

Years
I haven't played Command & Conquer for a good while now. I was thinking of maybe buying a couple of the most recently recent games, what are they like now?

TY

Well i havent played the recent ones, didnt really like the single player at all of them, im mainly into Tiberian Sun, which has been released as abandonware if im correctly. I love Tiberian Sun and the way the AI treats you... Is the AI NOD? He will use subterrain units for sure.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
Of the C&C games, Red Alert 2/Yuri's Revenge is probably my favorite. When C&C comes to mind, that's the one I jump to right away. I grew up with it and, even disregarding that, I loved the story mode. It also has a conquest mode that I never tried out, but it seemed interesting in concept.

TY

Of the C&C games, Red Alert 2/Yuri's Revenge is probably my favorite. When C&C comes to mind, that's the one I jump to right away. I grew up with it and, even disregarding that, I loved the story mode. It also has a conquest mode that I never tried out, but it seemed interesting in concept.

That game is sweet too, though i got fed up with Tiberian Sun since it came out and i fell in love with it... Yet RA2's story was interesting and fun to do... Those two games are the best C&C games imo

Years
The last C&C I played was Tiberium Wars iirc, it was one of my favorite games at the time. I was actually looking at Red Alert 2 yesterday, I was thinking of picking it up but didn't have enough money to buy it with the other games I bought. I have heard a lot of goo things about RA2, is there a demo of it available?

TY

I have no idea, never saw a C&C demo at all. But there are always possibilities.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back