• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Violence in Games--What's Your Stand?

Sankari

...gone.
    Years
    I may have put this in the wrong place, but don't mind me =D

*aherm*

I've been hearing a lot of pish-posh about video games causing teenagers and such to commit horrific crimes, such as stealing and even murder. Before I know it, the government is sueing considerably violent games such as Grand Theft Auto because the kids commiting these crimes said that's where they got the idea.

Well, this is what I have to say: blame the parents. These kids are around 14 or 15 years old. There's a reason games have ratings. It's the parents' fault for even exposing their child to an M (Mature) rated game.

But was it the game that urged the child into actually doing this sort of thing? Maybe. Maybe not. The kid was probably just so stupid, he couldn't distinguish between fantasy and reality, or he probably got the game not because he thought it was cool, but because he wanted to live his life as a murderer. Maybe he was just a loser who had no life. That may be a wrong way to put it...but that's how I see it...

So...what's your stand? What do you feel about video game violence?

Years
    I'm not sure whether this should go into other chat, or stay here x_x

Ah well XD

Anyway, I totally agree with you on the matter, it's not the games fault, and ratings are there for a reason, just like films and parental advisories on CD cases. They shouldn't be taken lightly in my opinion, people thing that just because it's a game it can't have any effect on small kids, well reality check, it can and I even have an example:

My brother is thirteen, not exactly young, but not old enough to play the grand theft auto games in the first place. Well, my parents bought him a grand theft auto game for Christmas and he didn't stop playing it, what happens next? Well, he start to think that being a criminal would be cool and that robbing places would pay off big time. These were his exact words by the way.

My parents should not have bought him the game in the first place, it's rated eighteen for a reason. Though I have to say that these games can corrupt the minds of anyone, even older people, I think that many criminals do get their ideas from TV programmes and such games as Grand Theft Auto.

So the blame is half and half in my opinion: Parents should take the warning of the ratings, but I also think that people?s minds are to easily corrupt by such things, some people are week in the head and would actually think that doing these things would payoff.

Let's say its like Pokemon, some people believe these creatures to be real, it could easily be said for Grand Theft Auto games too. You see someone shooting away and someone else and making a clean get away, some will start to think that they can do it in reality.

Sankari

...gone.
    Years
    I completely agree with you there. Like I said, it just depends on if the person playing the game can distinguish between fantasy and reality. Some weird-o people can't and start wanting to be exactly like the person(s) in the game their playing. Not just violent games, though...maybe a little kid around 5 or 6 is playing Spyro and wants to be a dragon O.o Who knows!? That might lead to bad things...I guess...

Years
    I think it is PARTLY the game's fault. But you can't hold the game totally responsible. People might have gone and killed people in the future whether they played the game or not.

Years
    The reality is, that people like these types of games and I doubt there will be any chance of stopping them now, so it's down to the parents really to take note of the rating and make sure that their kids know how to define Fantasy and reality.

SPon11: I was being seriouse XD, but still it is a good example none the less...like my Pokemon one...but the more realisic the game, the more chance of some people (mainly kids) taking note of it.

Years
    I have played the GTA games, and I liked them. But they have never made me violent... I mean, I was already violent, but they didn't make me do things that were illegal.

Shiney

Sometimes, we come back!
    Years
    My stand on videogames Is almost exactly that of Ethan from https://cad-comic.com/index.php

Videogames donn't make people violent, ignorant people blaming everyone they can but themselves make people violent. Sure there may be some MINOR effect on the psyche, but the people who will be inspired to go on a killing spree because of a videogame are already pretty freaking messed up, in my ever so humble opinion.

Arcanine

There is no "-tina"
    Years
    The Government shouldn't have any say so in how games are made and how they are rated. Lots of the Government stuff is crap anyway (If I remember right ESRB was started by a US Senator, and look how screwed up it is now). Tomorrow I'm gonig to go out and get Battlefield 2: Moderen Combat. It's an FPS (First-Person-Shooter), after I play that game am I going to go out, get an M16 and start killing or think that's ok? No, I'm over the age of 13 (soon I'll be 17, aka being able to buy M rated games without having a parent buy it for me), I know it's not right to kill and all that stuff.

Like Shiney said, people who go out and kill was done screwed up in the mind before the game. They didn't play GTA and go "Wow, this looks fun. I'm going to do it in real life and see how fun it is".

The rating system is there for a reason.
    E: Should be for kids 7 and up.
    T: Should be for kids 13 and up.
    M: Should be for kids 17 and up.

Cybex Mewtwo

Someone's angry. :/
    Years
    Ah yes.....videogame violence....a staple of government issues.

For me, I've been a gamer since I was 2. That means games have been with me for 17 years. I've seen it all and played it all, yet I'm a respectable citizen. people who blame violent acts to videogames have never really seen some benefits. for one, they help with hand eye coordination. it helped me out with that. ^^

Regardless though.....it really annoys me...>.>

Sankari

...gone.
    Years
    The government is just a bunch of schmos xD They don't know what they're talking about. There are many violent videogames, yes, but they aren't the only things that drive the human mind to be so violent in nature. In nature, I said, not physically. Human's like violence. It's just the way we are. There are many forms of media: books, movies, music...in fact, I think music is the worst, to be honest O.o The government just doesn't like video games because of how interactive they are.

Remember: the goverment thought Furbies were dangerous >.>

RoxasOld

Banned
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Jan 29, 2006
    Dude, I've played all of the Grand Theft Auto games and major loads of First Person Shooters. But you dont see me running around with a huge gun and a little paper, trying to keep score of how many head shots I got. People need to learn that games have nothing to do with what children are doing outside of their house.

Sankari

...gone.
    Years
    Kenshin11212 said:
    Dude, I've played all of the Grand Theft Auto games and major loads of First Person Shooters. But you dont see me running around with a huge gun and a little paper, trying to keep score of how many head shots I got. People need to learn that games have nothing to do with what children are doing outside of their house.
    On certain occasions, yes. But, like we've all said, it depends on the person. The person has to be a little crazy in the first place in order to do stuff like that in real life.

RoxasOld

Banned
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Jan 29, 2006
    SPon11 said:
    On certain occasions, yes. But, like we've all said, it depends on the person. The person has to be a little crazy in the first place in order to do stuff like that in real life.

Or maybe the person always wanted to do that kind of stuf their whole life. And they just happened to play a game about doing the stuff.

saint jimmmey

mwahahahaha....¬_¬
    Years
    yes the pearents shouldn't be letting the kids near the games in the first place.
    but these games only affect children who are wrong in the head.
    if a book caused a gross act of violence then it would be ignored or treat with less significance then games.
    for some reason the government only realy blames games and tv for that stuff.

Sankari

...gone.
    Years
    saint jimmmey said:
    yes the pearents shouldn't be letting the kids near the games in the first place.
    but these games only affect children who are wrong in the head.
    if a book caused a gross act of violence then it would be ignored or treat with less significance then games.
    for some reason the government only realy blames games and tv for that stuff.
    It must have something to do with visual stimulation...They think it effects the mind more than books, but that's completely inaccurate. Books impact my mind much more. Just me in particular, though. I'm not saying that's the same with everyone...it may be, but how should I know? XD

Nedrag Terces12

Lord of Latias
    Years
    I think that a little violence is needed in most games(exceptions being things like tetris). It's the complete idiocy of the person to go and do w/e they do when they get influence from a game. A game's a game, no one should even get compelled to do violent things from playing a violent video game. As i said before certain types of video games have to have violence, there really is no way to limit that substantially without having the gaming industry plummet to the ground.

Atomic

Isnt this awsome
    Years
    • Age 33
    • WI
    • Seen Oct 27, 2007
    it depends on if the person can set reality and fantasy apart i mean if someone watches a scary movie they may be influinced to be scared trying to goto sleep or in a video game it can influince you greatly because many people include playing video games and such as when you see a tv ad and you want to buy something your influince could be the ad itself so its likely that they could do something under such an influince or if you play army games you may want to join the army later in life

Back