• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Virtual Relationships

Azonic

hello friends
Years
  • i have not

i find it extremely difficult to even connect with someone on a friendship level online lmao. i can't date someone online fo sho

Honest

Hi!
    Years
  • I'll be 100% honest, I look down upon online relationships (under the condition they've always been online; being with someone and moving away is different). It just doesn't seem natural to me. It's honestly hard to explain. I suppose it has something to do with that there are just some key things (in my opinion) that you need in a relationship that you can only access by actually being in one another. Then again, they managed t make a genuinely touching movie with someone who fell in love with AI, so hell to what I think. I suppose relationships are subjective.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I don't condemn online relationships, but I don't think I'd be satisfied with one myself. For now, I'm perfectly happy with my irl boyfriend, but if I didn't have him and decided to try and get together as a couple officially with an online friend, I would probably decide to meet up with them as soon as possible. Perhaps even before making it official to the rest of the world, because what if your dreams were wrong and you don't actually click after all? I need the touch, I need the human being next to me, I suppose.

But in much I think it's the norms of our world affecting me. Online relationships where you might never have seen the face of the other person in front of you without a screen of some kind being the channel, it's not seen as natural. And it might never be. And perhaps that is just as well. Humanity might never be fully digitalized, rejoice ;)

I totally had some kind of crush on abnegation once upon a time though. I mean, who hasn't.

Years
  • I'll be 100% honest, I look down upon online relationships (under the condition they've always been online; being with someone and moving away is different). It just doesn't seem natural to me. It's honestly hard to explain. I suppose it has something to do with that there are just some key things (in my opinion) that you need in a relationship that you can only access by actually being in one another. Then again, they managed t make a genuinely touching movie with someone who fell in love with AI, so hell to what I think. I suppose relationships are subjective.

My parents have looked down on online relationships after seeing how my cousin and her husband turned out. Like the other day, I brought up the idea of me traveling alone within Canada to meet up with a friend and they immediately acquitted that with being an online relationship. Okay, sure, there's the potential, but that wasn't my original plan. I genuinely like meeting people whom I've met online even though it might not be the safest situation.

Where was I again...? Oh, right. Yeah, if I do end up for some reason in an online relationship, my parents are going to have a fit. Unless they meet the criteria of being like Asian and can sustain themselves financially...Even to this day, they still complain about my cousin's relationship with her husband because to them, he's useless; he has no job, got deported, and left her to raise a child by herself. So I guess that's had a negative impact on my parents' impression of online relationships, but they're not all like that.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
  • I don't really care about others' online relationships, but I don't think I would ever be in one. It would just be weird to be in a relationship with someone and not physically see them at all. Plus, as many of us have admitted, we act differently (even if it's just slightly) on the internet than we do in real life. Any online relationship won't stay online forever, as Arago said, so once you meet the person they might be different than what you thought they were. I don't have a problem with this on a friendship level, but anything beyond? Nah.

Cariad

world.search(you);
    Years
    • Seen Oct 25, 2023
    I've been in an "online" relationship with my current boyfriend for over a year now, and have had four internet relationships prior to that. Although I can understand other's reasoning for not wanting to be in an online relationship or disapproving of them, I am completely for them and know that they can work over a long period of time. Of course there are downsides, like being unable to hug them and touch them physically, but imo they're kind of worth it if you genuinely love that person.

As for the whole argument of "how do you know they're real, they're not lying, they could be completely fake" etc etc, I completely understand that. I've been in a relationship with someone who was lying to me about practically everything before. But, then again, I know my current boyfriend is exactly who he says he is. :P After talking to someone 24/7, video calling semi-frequently, texting and calling someone just like you would an "irl" boyfriend, you can kind of TELL when someone is real or not.

Of course I understand that I'm going to have to meet him one day and I have full intentions to, and I probably wouldn't continue dating him if we were unable to meet ever. :/ So yes, I agree with virtual relationships and am in one, and I do believe they can work in the long run. :D

Years
  • From general observation, I have found that people in long distance relationships tend to be the people who have never been in a physical relationship. There are exceptions, or course, and I'm not saying that my observation and theory is fact, but I think that's because those people have not experienced the intimacy part of a relationship. I mean, when you're younger, say 13/14, it is not so much of an issue, but when you grow up a little bit more lust becomes an enormous part of your life in terms of relationships. You want to feel like you belong with somebody, you want to be touched, you want to be touching somebody (*WINK*) because it releases pleasure throughout your body (if you want to get scientific, it's usually a pleasure hormone called Dopamine).

You experience that lust and desire in one relationship, and then you enter one online. It is hard to re-experience this lust and desire and pleasure, so it just doesn't work. Which sucks, because I've met people online who I've had very strong emotional bonds with who I haven't been able to date due to the lack on contact we'd have. I have a friendship like this currently, where I would happily date them if they were in my physical life.

As for myself, I have never had a long distance relationship via the internet. I have entered a relationship with a person I met over the internet but could meet up with at least every fortnight (we all make mistakes, and this person was one of mine).

Bulbadon

Might or might not come back
    Years
    • Seen Aug 26, 2016
    I don't believe in virtual relationships plus I would never ever cheat on my girlfriend but yes if I see a pretty or nice girl I would honestly tell them.

Back