• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Viruses, and such.

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen May 21, 2024
    Can anyone give me a list of, possible all, viruses and what they do? We haven't been learning about viruses yet and the only viruses I know are: malwares, Trojan horse, and worms.

Thanks to anyone who helps. :DDD

WonderGirl

Bye bye :(
    Years
    May I ask what is the point of viruses in the first place? Why do people make them and send them to people? Is it only because they think it's cool?

Dawn

[span="font-size:180%;font-weight:900;color:#a568f
    Years
    I can think of several reasons people make viruses.

Adware = self explanatory. They want to spam you with ads.

Computer destroyers = Idiots have the power to create these and do so. It's that simple, really.

Controlling viruses = These are the most deadly because they're meant to be impossible to get rid of. They're made by e-warriors who want power over other people, or less commonly idiots.

Spyware = self explanatory. They want to steal info they can sell / use against you.

There are only 3 real different types of malware.
    Adware: Not a virus. Can however be dangerous to remove. Tries to push ads on victim
    Virus: Intended to cause harm to the computer. The largest cateogry by far. The different kinds of viruses merely describe the method of infiltrating the computer or what it attacks.
    Spyware: Not a virus. Can however be dangerous to remove. Tries to steal info from the victim's computer.

Last edited:
    Years
    • she/her or they/them
    • Seen Apr 4, 2024
    Do you guys honestly think that the Antivirus companies aren't responsible for a large chunk of viruses?

*pokes head into topic*
    Never really thought of that before; given that there are millions of idiots on the internet who want to make people's lives worse than they already are, I don't think so. Besides, that'd mean more work for them.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
    Since I'm toying with some cracking and malware methods myself for the purposes of securing my own networks, I'll try and summarize how malware tends to work.

The purpose of malware is to deploy a given payload on a system. The payload can include anything from a harmless popup of kittens with the caption "you've been hacked" to a keylogger (records everything you type) to advertisements to remote access to your computer. Basically, anything goes.

There are a few different ways you can get hacked, but I'll focus on malware, since you probably don't run a website (webmasters have a big target on their back that says "hack me"). Basically, the malware author designs a malicious program and tries to get your computer to run it somehow. Once it does, it'll unleash whatever payload the author put into it, provided it isn't stopped by an antivirus. There are quite a few ways malware authors can get you to run their malware. The most common is to trick you into running it yourself.

For instance, the malware author may craft an email that looks like it comes from a reliable source, instructing you to open an attached file, which, as it turns out, is the malware. That's just an example, though. It certainly isn't limited to email. Many tools that claim to assist in software piracy may be malware; some even perform their function in addition to delivering their payload. It's actually quite simple; all the malware author has to do is get you to run a program. There are countless ways he could get you to do this; the practice of tricking people into doing this sort of thing is called "social engineering," and you can read more about it on Wikipedia.

There are other ways to get you to run a program that don't require your interaction, however. These usually rely on exploiting some behavior in the software you are using. For instance, let's say the malware author has also managed to gain control of a website you like to visit. He might leave most of the website intact, but insert some code that takes advantage of a glitch in your web browser to run his malware.

Another potential avenue of attack could be at the operating system level. A lot of operating systems have services running in the background that connect to the internet for various reasons. Some of these services can be exploited to run malicious code and deliver a payload.

The best thing to do is to keep an antivirus program like Microsoft Security Essentials running at all times and, if you are not behind a router with a built-in firewall (most routers have one), to also keep a software firewall running, such as Comodo Firewall (note that this comes with an optional antivirus that you should not install if you are using Microsoft Security Essentials). However, no software is an alternative to safe browsing habits; be sure not to run programs that you didn't seek out yourself and not to follow links to sites that deal with your personal information (find out the site's address and enter it manually each time; e.g., type 53.com into your URL instead of following a link from your email).

Also, know that there is no 100% safe solution (this is important). It is almost impossible to keep a determined cracker out of your system; there are ways to trick antiviruses and defeat firewalls, but they take time and effort that most common malware authors won't bother with (though someone determined to break into your specific system might). By knowing what you're doing, you can be safe from 99.9% of attacks, as most target people that don't know what they're doing.

Last edited:

blaze_the_cat

Entire team is babies!
    Years
    I got one not long ago.

Luckily, it wasnt dangerous, or after password info or anything. I found it on my scanner, but before i could get rid of it it kept opening fake Antivirus Windows until my comps usage was up to 100%.

Then after about an hour, it stopped, and the scanner couldnt find it. It was like it obliterated itself.

John-117

Jirachi lover
    Years
    I think the use of virus is to get money and other people's important information. For example: someone get paid to ruin the a company website like Microsoft and if it is successful and make the website down for 3 days, this could effect the company a lot and even lost a lot of money.

KAZillonaire

Pokémon is my profession.
    Years
    * Adware
    Adware (or spyware) is a small program that is designed to show advertisements (in various form and degrees of intrusiveness) on your computer. It often reports personal information back to its owners. As a result your sense of privacy can be violated.

* Backdoor
    A backdoor is a small malicious program that is used to gain access to a computer by bypassing the computer access security mechanisms. It gives the attacker almost unlimited rights. While it can be used to spy on a user, it is mainly used to install other malware on the system.

* Malware
    A generic name for all types of malicious programs: adware, backdoors, rogues, trojans, viruses and worms.

* Rogue
    A rogue program is a malicious program that is disguised, for instance, as trustworthy anti-spyware programs or registry cleaners. But these programs are only put on the market to scare you into buying these programs because they make exaggerated claims about the safety of your computer or, worse still, give erroneous scan results or put their own malware in your system.

* Trojan
    A trojan (or Trojan horse) is a small malicious program that pretends to have a particular function, but that only shows its real purpose after execution and that purpose is often destructive. Trojans cannot multiply themselves, which differentiates them from viruses and worms.

* Virus
    A virus is a small malicious program that multiplies and is capable to attach itself to other programs after being executed. It then causes an infection and causes various degrees of damage to your computer.

* Worm
    A worm is often characterized as a malicious

Back