• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Vocabulary that the Pokemon games have taught you?

Zowayix

hi
Years
  • Something I've always found interesting is the amount of vocabulary that I've first seen in a Pokemon game.

What vocab have the games taught you?

For me, I can only remember two right now, but I know there are more that I've since forgotten.
    1. to suppress, as in "[Opponent's] Clear Body suppressed [User's] Intimidate!"
    2. calamitous, from PMD: "[User] used Sheer Cold! [Opponent] took calamitous damage! It's a one-hit KO!"

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I learned what "buffeted" (*insert Pokemon here* is buffeted by the sandstorm!) meant after playing the Pokemon games that involved sandstorms and hail.

Sayan

is tightening its focus
    Years
  • I learned the words 'intimidate', 'endeavor' (that's how it's spelled in Pokemon), 'moxie', 'docile' and probably a few more.

Kotowari

Will be back eventually
    Years
  • I basically started to learn English thanks to Pokémon. :'D By the time I actually had English classes I had already played Red and Silver, giving me quite an advantage in English. : >

blue

gucci
    Years
  • Pokémon has definitely boosted my vocabulary, I have learnt words and the meaning of those words all thanks to Pokémon!

Cid

Years
  • Oddly, I don't remember particularly learning the meaning of difficult words from the NPC conversations on my first few playthroughs (probably because back then, I didn't care about what they said to me that much).

I could say that I learned a lot in terms of sentence structure, grammar, etc. from Pokémon given my young age (and English not being my native language) when I started playing the games.
    Not to mention finding out what defense, agility, tackle, constrict and many other Pokémon words meant.
    Now that I realize it, I definitely owe a lot to Pokémon (although a few other games aided my English as well).

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • A few things from GSC, like 'quantity', and one thing that always comes to mind is from RSE (or dppt?): that soil always seemed to be loamy.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Buffeted, ether, elixir, Dexoyribonucleic Acid (from Deoxys...not in the game per se, but you know), endeavor, intimidate, most natures (timid, naive, docile), there's plenty of stuff. Can't name it all though!

Zapperz

colour swapper!
    Years
    • Seen Oct 18, 2023
    learnt from gsc that 'foe' meant enemy.
    then rse learnt that natures can be used in my essays to describe attitudes etc.

Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Feb 1, 2016
    I have learn better English thanks to Pokémon. I have learned few words like "potion", "elixir" and "foe". There are other words but I can't remember them at the moment.

psyanic

pop a wheelie on a zeitgeist
    Years
    • Age 27
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 10, 2023
    I remember learning guillotine, magnitude, and seismic (from seismic toss). The natures also helped a bit, especially learning "adamant".

Back