• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Wally (small spoilers)

Dragon

lover of milotics
Years
  • See see/know a lot more about Wally this time around in the OR/AS games. Of course the developers did follow tradition and introduce us to Wally in Petalburg as we taught him how to catch a pokemon, but he seemed to have more of a 'shy and weakly' demeanor to him.

Wally (small spoilers)

Still though, as we progress through the game, Wally gets stronger and stronger, and soon we find him on victory road with a Gallade that can mega evolve! He even has his glorious theme:

Soo yeah, the discussion topic here is pretty obvious: What do you think of 'this' OR/AS Wally compared with the R/S/E Wally? Is there still something that can be improved on with him? Do you enjoy the challenge he brings? Annd of course, any other thoughts, feel free to share~

Years
  • I personally feel Wally should have appeared more often.
    I made it a habit since Leafgreen to always check the Gym Statues in every gym, and I find that Wally beats most gyms before me. So how come that we, while I've been delayed by Team Aqua and Magma side stories (where Wally did not appear) meet in the same place: The Victory Road?

He should have had more side story and more appearances in my opinion. However, in terms of character he has definitely improved since R/S/E, and I really like him, still.
    And his theme is godlike (and so is his Mega Gallade)

Last edited:

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
    Years
  • I hated Wally's theme. It's too slow and just drags for the entire battle. It sounds like encounter music not battle music. I was so upset when it kept the same music when the battle started. Just seems lazy not to have an overworld theme and a battle theme. And the loop point is so funky that it feels repetitive when the music loops.

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
    Years
  • I figured when Wally asked if we could be rivals, he would appear more frequently as well. That would've been cool, especially as a supplement for Brendan/May not battling us after Lilycove City. He was still nice to battle at the end of Victory Road, even if his team wasn't that strong. It was cool as hell. His theme, however, was nowhere near fitting for a Pokemon game. Creative? Absolutely. But fitting for the boy nor a trainer theme in a Pokemon game is not descriptive of the song.

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2016
    I dhave my game muted most of the time so cant say anything about it. I think the number of appearances was good, more than last time. I liked that thi time he appeared on the beautiful outdoors stretch before the league instead of just as youre going out of the tunnel.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
  • When I was younger I thought Wally was a cool rival. Now? Not so much; he definitely could have appeared a lot more and had more presence. I mean, I honestly don't know what I would have done with him but he never really appeared really confident until the last moment, and then it was just a bit cliche :P Maybe Wally could have helped you fight Team Magma/Aqua?

ShyRayq

Unprofessional Unprofessional
    Years
    • Seen today
    If he appeared maybe 1 or 2 more times during the journey, his final showdown at Victory Road would have had more impact. Nevertheless, it was still epic when the music came on, but he was still easy. It's like 'Wow, this is some serious business', then 1 hit KOing everything. Otherwise, its great that he gets much stronger post-game, even bringing out a full on competitive team with GSE Red levels.

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
    Years
  • I think Wally has improved much, even more than in the original Gen 3 games, because as time progresses, he become much more confident and become quite the character. Alas, I was unable to visit him in Verdanturf Town after beating his Ralts, which is kind of a bum a bit, I wish I can meet with him much more often like when I was meeting my rival (Brendan or May) on occasional times, that will make his presence much more worthwhile.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • Everyone talks about how great Zinnia's theme is, but I haven't heard anyone talking about Wally's theme, making it underrated. He's still bad as a pseudo-riva thoughl, to which I still view Brendan/May as the one true rival for the game, since he/she uses a starter as his/her ace.

Years
    • Seen May 22, 2016
    personaly i felt realy bad for wally. the depth they gave to him made him an underdog, someone who found power through the main gameplay. defeating him crushed his dream and made the game a bit messed up.
    still pokemon is notorious for absolutely no character development, (which has been even more so a theme this generation) so i'm not supprised at that. i miss the communication and the insight into the other rival in B/W1, which helped tie the whole game together, and we know Pokemon as a narrative can handle multiple rivals. waiting to see how Z holds up, maybe it'll be better.

JP

wut?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 13, 2019
    He's kinda meh. Having not played the originals, I never knew much about him, but I was a bit disappointed by him. He doesn't appear enough, which kinda puts a damper on his progress as a character. They could have done a lot more with him, but such is the case with most rivals usually. Would have been great if he showed up to help with the villain team, maybe had a triple battle with your character and May/Brendan against them.

Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jun 29, 2019
    Wally was decent in RSE but this time around, he was just flat out annoying to put it lightly. At least the battle music was good though.

Years
  • In the original games, Wally wasn't much of a character, but I think they gave him a lot more here. I haven't gotten to battle his final rematch team yet (Battle Maison y u do dis 2 us), but I know that it has some pretty powerful Pokémon.

*Riolu Master*

The Aura Within
    Years
    • Seen Jul 13, 2016
    Wally I think had a lot more personality in this game. I grew up with Pokemon Ruby and Sapphire and I never knew much about Wally but now in ORAS I understand his character now. To be honest Wally is my favorite rival and a true one. He isn't a jerk like Blue and Silver, he isn't hyper like Barry and Bianca and he isn't easily forgettable like the rivals in x and y.

Years
  • Wally really wasn't seen all that much in RSE... and he isn't seen any more in ORAS, disappointingly. I think they could have expanded his story a great deal, and had him show up more times throughout the story. Still, at least his battle theme is incredible.

Years
  • I thought Wally's theme was perfect. A bashful guy becoming a cool-beans hero. He got all adamant with his Mega Gallade and what not.

He appear enough, I dislike rivals that keeps encountering me with Tee-hee (May <_<) comments and try to justified the "loss" as a "win". It makes me sick!

pvnk-as-fvck

depressed little mess
    Years
  • As much as I ship Wally with my character, he was a bit annoying in this game.
    Nintendo gave him a bit more depth in character, but not much.
    He also didn't appear as much as I wanted him to... although I was quite surprised to find him at the end of Victory Road.
    I was expecting the battle to be much harder, I was slightly disappointed at how easy it was to beat his team.
    He shows up a lot more than he did in R/S/E but I would've liked to see him more.
    I hated beating him at Mauville though-I felt so bad! I'm glad he made a turn around & trained an entire team of Pokémon.

So, all in all, he was an okay character. I didn't really notice him much-when I saw him it was more of a shock, definitely not a normal occurrence.
    Nintendo did a decent job at making him a more recognized character in this game, but I would've loved for him to have more of a backstory.

pvnk-as-fvck

depressed little mess
    Years
  • While Wally's role has been expanded, I think some of us are missing the fact that his character was pretty much implied to be what it was from the start. He was always said to be sickly, and OR/AS only makes things about him even more explicit.

Not just addressing you here, but rather the rest of the thread, but I struggle with this idea that Wally has somehow become annoying. If I didn't go through Ruby and Sapphire already, I'd say that he was definitely one of those interesting rivals. Accounting for the added character development and his slight increase in appearances, he's even more up there in my eyes. I agree—it would've been nice to see him more.

But isn't it contradictory wishing he had more appearances and also saying he's a bit more annoying?

Sometimes this whole justification is the story. Since when (though the Pokémon games don't exactly help) has it always been about "winning vs. losing"? There's some implied morals between Pokémon battles here that you seem to be missing.

It IS quite contradictory for me to say that, the thing I found annoying about him was that he was extremely weak-which he's supposed to be, but I mean his character. I find him annoying because he would pop up out of nowhere & try to challenge you to a Pokémon battle even though he only had Ralts/Kirlia *as in the beginning of the game*. Also, I wanted him to have more backstory. I didn't really want him to appear more, but I wanted to know about his past & what his goals were. I don't know, I'm super contradictory to everything I say. I just wish I could've known more about him instead of having him pop up in random places so I would battle him.

Years
  • this was PAINFUL. I loved loved LOVED that they made an effort to include him more in the game, and overall did an alright job, and his team was much improved. i liked how they made the final battle with him pre-elite four in a special terrain and stuff, those little tidbits were quite nice. But, it definitely felt like more could have been done. there was a lot left to be desired with his storyline. it's like in the originals, they didn't show us his character at all, and in ORAS they kind of started pulling the curtain away, but left half of him still behind it. hopefully that metaphor got through to someone. in a perfect world, more would have been devoted to him in the game, at least my perfect world.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • I didn't mind it, I expected it actually so no disappointments were had. I didn't expect his theme to be so...epic...I want to hurry up and have rematch to hear it again!

Back