• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Want to move to the US.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    Drew;bt69703 said:
    I'd move to one of the bigger states if you want the most job opportunities. California, New York, Florida, even Texas has more than some of the little suburbs of the other cities. =w= Don't move to Kansas.
    Not where I live in Florida though. Stupid High Unemployment rate. But I will agree with Florida. Add the number of Floridian mods +1!

Years
  • Scarf;bt69688 said:
    And also, don't move to the south. Or the midwest. Or the southwest. Or the mountain states. Basically just keep to the coasts.

Just like a typical coastie to dismiss the merits of cities between the coasts. :P Nothing wrong with the cities between the coasts if you pick the right ones, and the cities between the coasts are so much cheaper to live in than ones on the coasts (One of my housemates moved to Minneapolis from San Diego and brought up how much cheaper Minneapolis places are compared to San Diego, and how it was much easier for him to find a job here).

However, I'd advise against a move because once your money you've earned in Ireland runs out, you'll be scraping by if you don't find a decent job, and even if you do, if you choose to live in an expensive city on the coast you'll still be scraping by. Oh, and I'm not sure how it is in Ireland, but health care is not cheap at all and there really is barely any government aid when it comes to paying for health care expenses.

If you do decide to move, examine at least the top 50 metropolitan areas (don't just look on the coasts - you might miss a city that is a great match for you) before you move and look at housing costs and job prospects in your and your girlfriend's future fields. That's the best way to go about this decision. Find the right city and the right neighborhood. You don't want to move here and find out there are no jobs in either of your fields in the place you chose to move to.

Hiidoran;bt69712 said:
    Don't lie to him, Nick. We all know the Midwest is the worst part.

Maybe Indiana and Ohio are. You're forgetting about Chicago. And Minneapolis is very nice. I can personally vouch for it, as will many of the people around here who've moved here from other cities (only thing that sucks is the extended winters, but the high quality of life counteracts that). ;) Don't go to Detroit or most parts of Michigan, though. Most people I've encountered who have lived there say it's a hell hole.

Jack O'Neill

Banned
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Jul 15, 2015
    Pikapal642 said:
    I would say come to Northern California, but I am not a good enough reason to compensate for every other reason why California sucks. ~__~ Good luck with whatever you do choose though! :D
    Be more proud of your state, boy. California's economy is the largest in the entire United States.

Patchisou Yutohru said:
    America sucks donkey dick and is a horrible place to live.
    Go live in North Korea, Pakistan, Somalia, or Zimbabwe for a year and see if your opinion changes.

As for the author of this blog post, the only real problem with California is its extremely high costs of living compared to other states. Texas would probably be the next best alternative given the circumstances. Ultimately, where you want to go depends on what career you want to do, really.

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
    Years
  • ..Haha! :3 You guys are so silly! Y'all know Gavin's gonna move to where his line of work is, despite the nice sentiments of you wanting him to be close, so no need to debate <3 :3 But yeah.. Sometimes with art, you never know where you'll end up.. so anywhere is up for grabs! I'm not sure, Gavin, if you specifically want to get into games.. but:

https://www.gamedevmap.com/index.php?tool=location&query=Houston

That's something that may be of use.. just so you know where a lot of art studios mostly reside. :3 First, though.. I'd consider looking into Visas. ;3

Years
  • Kura;bt69715 said:
    ..Haha! :3 You guys are so silly! Y'all know Gavin's gonna move to where his line of work is, despite the nice sentiments of you wanting him to be close, so no need to debate <3 :3 But yeah.. Sometimes with art, you never know where you'll end up.. so anywhere is up for grabs! I'm not sure, Gavin, if you specifically want to get into games.. but:

https://www.gamedevmap.com/index.php?tool=location&query=Houston

That's something that may be of use.. just so you know where a lot of art studios mostly reside. :3 First, though.. I'd consider looking into Visas. ;3

Adding to this, you'll probably have a lot of competition for a job in the A-list studios.

Visas are an absolute legal must, though, so you don't get deported. And you'll have to be watchful of when those expire. Many people get deported from the US simply because they forgot to renew their visas (which is a process that takes several months).

Years
  • I remember wanting to move to the US before, and my parents did have that opportunity to do that a very long time ago...but the root to that opportunity stemmed from my aunt sponsoring us, but she ended up dying a tragic death.

Moving anywhere in the world is a major thing, you've got to be sure you completely want to do that, otherwise from my family's experience it may be something you'll regret if you go into it with a narrow mindset.

Of course, I'm confident that this will never be the case with you.

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    All of you saying America is ****, try living in the UK/Ireland, you'd appreciate your country so much more.

To Gavin, you have always been one to follow you ambitions; if this is what you want to do, then I have no doubt that you'll achieve it.

Years
    • Seen Jan 4, 2013
    the south isn't so bad, it's the weather and small town folk you have to look out for. if you're looking for like-minded social groups, you'd prosper in austin- i run into artists all over the place. i guess the market's pretty good too. i don't even proclaim to be an artist in terms of business, but i have a few clients lined up for paintings. :s anyway, if you're looking to reside around the coast, obviously you'll have to be super conscious about living expenses.

hope you figure it out, let me know if you need a place to crash.

Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2023
    Holy crap... so many replies. Well, first of all I gotta thank you all for you suggestions and offers. I am thinking Florida though. The coast appeals to me. Though obviously I need to do quite a bit of research. Besides, Audy told me he'd show me around.

But to everyone who is saying that the US is a bad place to live, you're mistaken really. Besides, anywhere is better than Ireland really, bar some war ridden and poverty stricken areas, the latter of which is starting to creep in on Ireland.

Years
  • Abnegation;bt69740 said:
    Holy crap... so many replies. Well, first of all I gotta thank you all for you suggestions and offers. I am thinking Florida though. The coast appeals to me. Though obviously I need to do quite a bit of research. Besides, Audy told me he'd show me around.

But to everyone who is saying that the US is a bad place to live, you're mistaken really. Besides, anywhere is better than Ireland really, bar some war ridden and poverty stricken areas, the latter of which is starting to creep in on Ireland.
    Doesn't Audy live in California? Florida and California are thousands of miles apart and are on opposite coasts. Having looked, there's not terribly much in game studio choices in a single area in Florida. Most cities with high quantities and concentrations of game studios are on the West Coast in expensive cities.

And poverty is in every country. Which is why you'll wanna pick the right neighborhood in any city you move to. Many major American cities have slums, and you want to avoid those neighborhoods, while still choosing an affordable area.

Last edited:
    Back